• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Impact Does Anime Have On Other Cultures?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
As I've grown up with anime I noticed more and more people jumping on the bandwagon. Though it seems they watch so much anime they don't even wish to learn the history of their own culture. They just want to learn everything they can about the Japanese culture. I know it's usually just a phase that teenagers go through but I know quite a few people that have been that way for years. It has opened many peoples eyes to a new culture. Knowledge of another culture is a good thing to have but it shouldn't prevent people from learning there own history.

I was just wondering what type of impact on other cultures you think the anime industry has had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:59 am Reply with quote
frostedsaiyan wrote:
As I've grown up with anime I noticed more and more people jumping on the bandwagon. Though it seems they watch so much anime they don't even wish to learn the history of their own culture. They just want to learn everything they can about the Japanese culture. I know it's usually just a phase that teenagers go through but I know quite a few people that have been that way for years. It has opened many peoples eyes to a new culture. Knowledge of another culture is a good thing to have but it shouldn't prevent people from learning there own history.

I was just wondering what type of impact on other cultures you think the anime industry has had.

Well see something like this is hard to answer because Anime is more like a subcultural thing so affecting the actual culture in general is almost impossible.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Have to agree with Lord Kefka, except for cultures in the immediate vicinity of Japan which likely see an impact as a result of other aspects of Japanese culture as well. In most cases it's a subcultural issue, the anime fanbase of course, and outside of that subculture the effect is pretty minimal. Even within the subculture the effect can vary, you get those that seem to emulate all things anime and develop an obsession with Japan, and you get those who just enjoy the medium and don't really develop a fixation beyond that like myself.

From my experience, limited primarily to the US, the impact is minimal and while there is likely some minor impact it pales in comparison to the impact of other mediums in this culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cerulean88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
I agree with Lord Kefka and Keonyn. Japanese are of course influenced by animes as it is part of their culture and they're proud of it.

I think this also depends on the person itself, if they're willing to learn their own culture and not just closing it off by learning from animes alone. There would always be people who like what Keonyn said "seem to emulate all things anime and develop an obsession with Japan, and you get those who just enjoy the medium and don't really develop a fixation beyond that." I know alot of people who are obsessed with Japan and keeps asking me all these things. They are just basing it from what they see from animes that they've watched and just preoccupying themselves with anything Japan related but i can't but help but feel rather sad at that because Japan is not as heavenly as they all thought it to be. The Japanese government does an extremely good job in concealing all those bad things that foreigners don't see. Now i'm not saying that Japan is bad because by saying so means that i'm also insulting my own country. But then again, it's also possible to get someone who doesn't like their own culture.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:50 am Reply with quote
i know there is at least a subculture of anime/manga in France as i saw alot of manga in france as i lived there, i even have some french Dragonball
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
I was talking about the United States. Japan is different than the United States because our "culture" is more like popular culture than anything.
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:24 am Reply with quote
Lord Kefka wrote:
I was talking about the United States. Japan is different than the United States because our "culture" is more like popular culture than anything.

And that Kefka is whats sad about our country is that if you want to see something that has a impact its not anime its not manga its not forgein sp? born its about the MTV/VH1 BET and all these damn awful reality shows which are suppose to be real with real people Rolling Eyes
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:43 am Reply with quote
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
And that Kefka is whats sad about our country is that if you want to see something that has a impact its not anime its not manga its not forgein sp? born its about the MTV/VH1 BET and all these damn awful reality shows which are suppose to be real with real people Rolling Eyes
Err...how does the general quality of the Survivors and American Idols of this world has anything do with the question of the topic?

As for my opinion on this, anime certainly has an impact on American cartoons, if nothing else. I'd say artistic influences flow easier between cultures than "into the mainstream," naturally, since artists are obviously more interested and knowledgeable than your average Jacques. But there really hasn't been much if you're looking for pop culture influences that touch something fundamental, like, say, the hippies and their little cultural revolution.
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
Err...how does the general quality of the Survivors and American Idols of this world has anything do with the question of the topic?.

Those shows which I watched quite a bit of are just lame and bore me to no end but the fact a show like Idol gets so many viewers which is a question of debate that I dont plan on getting into because the show does not interest me is that so many americans watch that show just to find out who's next music cd they need to buy and listen to
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
Those shows which I watched quite a bit of are just lame and bore me to no end but the fact a show like Idol gets so many viewers which is a question of debate that I don't plan on getting into because the show does not interest me is that so many americans watch that show just to find out who's next music cd they need to buy and listen to
Well, that I can deduce. My question is rather that how does that relate to the question of anime's influences in "other" (meaning, I think, American in particular) cultures...
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
Those shows which I watched quite a bit of are just lame and bore me to no end but the fact a show like Idol gets so many viewers which is a question of debate that I don't plan on getting into because the show does not interest me is that so many americans watch that show just to find out who's next music cd they need to buy and listen to
Well, that I can deduce. My question is rather that how does that relate to the question of anime's influences in "other" (meaning, I think, American in particular) cultures...

the answer to your question is that anime has no major mainstream influence in america and is only a subculture a underground thing that will never have a major impact on pop culture unless you can run anime on mtv since they dont play music anymore then again did they ever play music videos?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
I don't think MTV has any significant impact on our culture anymore, they've pretty much gone downhill. Of the reality shows I'd venture to say only American Idol has any real impact. The question then is, how is that really a bad thing? It's a contest to find the best singer, not overly meaningful but not exactly a society killer or anything negative. How would anime be so great? Sure a lot of it has some unique and deep storylines, but let's not forget there's no shortage of bad anime as well from your typical harem story to fanservice laden garbage to your most cliche action show and so on.

As for Idol getting viewers just so people can see who's CD to buy, I think that's complete BS. I don't watch American Idol and don't care for it but even I know better than that. That's like someone saying you watch anime just so you can watch busty cartoon women running around in almost nothing while some guy in funny clothes shoots fireballs at a mech and they eventually destroy the planet after about 20 minutes of mid fight dialog. Such assumptions are very rarely correct, especially when based on generalizations. People watch Idol because it's a contest, and a lot of people just like watching the auditioning singers fail because some are just that bad. I've never met a person who's watching Idol so they know who's CD to buy, they can just check on the net when it's over to get that information if that's their motivation. It's a contest, just because that doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's a horrible thing, the world does not revolve around you and your judgement is not the determining factor between right and wrong, like it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
Err...how does the general quality of the Survivors and American Idols of this world has anything do with the question of the topic?

As for my opinion on this, anime certainly has an impact on American cartoons, if nothing else. I'd say artistic influences flow easier between cultures than "into the mainstream," naturally, since artists are obviously more interested and knowledgeable than your average Jacques. But there really hasn't been much if you're looking for pop culture influences that touch something fundamental, like, say, the hippies and their little cultural revolution.

Yea, I agree with you there. You have a lot of American cartoons adopting the "anime style" lately. Most recently Airbender on Nickelodeon. I see a lot of posts on the forum asking if it's an anime because of the similarities in style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I don't think MTV has any significant impact on our culture anymore, they've pretty much gone downhill. Of the reality shows I'd venture to say only American Idol has any real impact. The question then is, how is that really a bad thing? It's a contest to find the best singer, not overly meaningful but not exactly a society killer or anything negative. How would anime be so great? Sure a lot of it has some unique and deep storylines, but let's not forget there's no shortage of bad anime as well from your typical harem story to fanservice laden garbage to your most cliche action show and so on.

As for Idol getting viewers just so people can see who's CD to buy, I think that's complete BS. I don't watch American Idol and don't care for it but even I know better than that. That's like someone saying you watch anime just so you can watch busty cartoon women running around in almost nothing while some guy in funny clothes shoots fireballs at a mech and they eventually destroy the planet after about 20 minutes of mid fight dialog. Such assumptions are very rarely correct, especially when based on generalizations. People watch Idol because it's a contest, and a lot of people just like watching the auditioning singers fail because some are just that bad. I've never met a person who's watching Idol so they know who's CD to buy, they can just check on the net when it's over to get that information if that's their motivation. It's a contest, just because that doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's a horrible thing, the world does not revolve around you and your judgement is not the determining factor between right and wrong, like it or not.

oh trust me MTV has a major impact on pop culture in America one of many things that does as for false idol Very Happy now you and your friends might not tune in to find out whos cd you have to buy next because the person who won is now the next flavour of the month but you think there are not other people who do that?
aznxwater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
anime opens the mind of anybody who watches it due to its wide range of genres
its very ture when watching anime that has to due with school life.
japan students studying hard for examines and there is hope toward a good future with perserverence.

and america , with some influence in music with american idol, has barely any influence on the world because the shows that they are showing involves the problems they are facing like drugs, guns, and sex.

like for example the now un-popular show OC.
in the beginning it was popular due to what people thought, "oh. finally a show we can relate to."

but in reality..the viewers were looking at the actors and hope we can see besides the face of the actors(one tree hill).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2