• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Canon of Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the amount of thought and consideration you put into this. Is there a way you could provide me a list of the 49 people that you grabbed this from? You can PM me.

Nothing on here is a real surprise. For the ones I have seen, I pretty much agree with their presence on this list. Looking it at, I can see the gaps that still exist in my list. Like all of the Evangelion releases. The problem with many of these shows is that I did start to watch them at one time (Trigun, Eva, Code Geass) but stopped because they didn't interest me. Many still don't. Hell, if anything, I was more interested in the fandom than I was the show. I've read fanfics for several shows on this list that I have yet to see. And at this point I know all the spoilers for the shows so I'm even less inclined to watch them. I imagine I'll eventually get through most of them at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I also appreciate what you've done. Thanks.

Why not provide your list of 49 here? They're all public anyway. We could be tagged the 49 ronin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
I think you can run into taste problems, the ones on that list I have watched I can attest to being great, but a number of them also simply do not interest myself. Recently I think a top anime list will often be best when in regard to certain groups. I can say that from the 600 series (movies/sequels/OVAs) I have currently seen in full, of the 17 I have given a masterpiece rating of and match this list I have only Madoka, Bunny Drop, and Bakemonogatari. Maybe I have terrible taste though, after all I also gave that rating to the Inukami movie.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
I've completed 36 of the 80 titles on your list (45%), and of those 36 I've given 8 titles a 10/10 rating (22%). If this statistic stays true there should be another 9-10 "masterpieces" for me to discover among the remaining titles on that list. Those odds are certainly better than looking up titles at random, so you have my thanks. Very Happy

I've noticed another issue with your ranking, though. If you completely disregard any ratings given a title, other than 10 (or 9 in some instances), then a title that appears on 40 of the 49 lists you used for reference will almost certainly receive more 10s than a title that only appears on 20 of the lists.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
I have known for a long time that my tastes differ from most, and I really do not care.
But still, I do sometimes get curious about how different I am.
Since Jose Cruz went to the trouble of compiling this list I decided to do some comparison.

There are 5 of these that I rated Masterpiece. 11 of my Masterpiece shows did not make the list.

6 I rated Excellent. My other 96 Excellent ratings did not make it.

13 that I like to a lesser degree.

10 that I did not like.

46 that I have not seen. Most of those I am just not interested in. For some I actually did try an episode or two and gave up, but I counted those as not seen. There are only three that I really want to watch sometime.

Last edited by Touma on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why not provide your list of 49 here? They're all public anyway. We could be tagged the 49 ronin

Seconding, I'll even be the guy Keanu Reeves played in the 2013 movie.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Not to belittle your commendable effort, but you've basically just made a list of popular anime. I could have made something very, very similar to your list - without any statistics at all, and in about twenty minutes of thinking - just by going on what got sufficient fan buzz throughout the years.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Not to belittle your commendable effort, but you've basically just made a list of popular anime. I could have made something very, very similar to your list - without any statistics at all, and in about twenty minutes of thinking - just by going on what got sufficient fan buzz throughout the years.

I hate to agree and sound like a downer but your list is pretty much akin to the same lists you claimed to be dissatisfied with. Not to mention your qualifications on what lists to use for this seem a bit arrogant. I mean claiming to have a decent grasp of the medium a user should have seen around 750 titles is quite lofty. Same goes for only using lists with 500 titles or more. What makes those users more qualified per se? Quantity does not always equal quality. I know I sound like a downer but I can't help but feel this is a giant endeavor of futility on your part for something that equates to just another popularity list. I wish you luck.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
750 is just the average amount of shows that have been watched among the number of users he looked at. the actual number he feels folks should watch to get a good grasp on the medium is 3,000. Personally, I think that's ridiculous. Based on the number of shows I currently watch each year, that would mean despite watching anime now for about 18 years, I'd need another another 7- 13 years before I fully grasped the medium. bullshit I say

Last edited by getchman on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Based on the number of shows I currently watch each year, that would mean despite watching anime now for about 18 years, I'd need another another 7- 14 years before I fully grasped the medium. bullshit I say

Mada mada dane, Getchman. The positive side is that even though it would normally take you 10 more years to become a master, Kisuke Urahara can help you get there in 3 days. Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
sure has been a long time since I saw that part of Bleach
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess the only thing I can say is... yay, statistics, yay, lists, yay, meaningless, time-wasting endeavors! Did I mention I like doing mindless, repetitive activities to wind down after stressful days at work? Very Happy

So... I created a MAL account for this list (just because I could) so that I could easily look at some of the statistics using http://graph.anime.sc.

Anyways, in terms of year distributions, we have:

Quote:
1979 - 1
1984 - 1
1988 - 5
1989 - 1
1995 - 2
1997 - 3
1998 - 5
1999 - 1
2000 - 1
2001 - 3
2002 - 5
2003 - 7
2004 - 6
2005 - 3
2006 - 9
2007 - 5
2008 - 4
2009 - 5
2010 - 2
2011 - 5
2012 - 2
2014 - 4

Of the 43 genres as specified on MAL, here's how they stack up in terms of number of anime from each genre:

Quote:
1. Drama - 43
2. Action - 30
3. Sci-Fi - 29
4. Comedy - 24
5. Romance - 22
6. Fantasy - 20
7. Adventure - 19
7. Mystery - 19
9. Slice of Life - 18
9. Supernatural - 18
11. Psychological - 15
12. Mecha - 11
12. Military - 11
14. Seinen - 8
14. Thriller - 8
16. Historical - 7
16. School - 7
18. Horror - 6
18. Magic - 6
20. Dementia - 5
20. Police - 5
20. Space - 5
23. Josei - 4
23. Shoujo - 4
23. Shounen - 4
26. Music - 3
27. Parody - 2
27. Sports - 2
27. Super Power - 2
27. Vampire - 2
31. Cars - 1
31. Ecchi - 1
31. Martial Arts - 1
31. Samurai - 1
35. Demons - 0
35. Game - 0
35. Harem - 0
35. Hentai - 0
35. Kids - 0
35. Shoujo Ai - 0
35. Shounen Ai - 0
35. Yaoi - 0
35. Yuri - 0

-----

And then I just looked at statistics as to how I rate in comparison to this list. I have watched 44 of these shows. Of those 44, I rated:

9 as Masterpiece (10/10)
16 as Excellent (9/10)
13 as Very Good (8/10)
5 as Good (7/10)
1 as Decent (6/10)

Next, I looked at the remaining anime I've rated as 10 or 9 on my list that never made it on here. There are 4 Masterpiece's (10/10) and 27 Excellent's (9/10). Of all of those series, the one I'm most surprised at not seeing on this list is The Twelve Kingdoms. I'm guessing that's due to its non-ending and leaving one storyline hanging?
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
@Willag

Who needs statistics?
This guy's got it all figured out. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
^
I'll admit, I totally cracked up when I saw that.

Ah, classic.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Laughing That's hilarious.

But, honestly, I need statistics, I need lists, I need to sort and organize. They're like drugs for the mind and soul. Every time I complete a new anime or manga and add it to MAL, I immediately go to the graph.anime site to see how my stats have changed. I keep an Excel file on my laptop that does similar statistics. I'll take breaks at work from thinky-thoughty stuff (i.e. writing protocols and reports) by sorting and organizing everyone else's protocols and reports in the file-folder system and moving data around to centralize it in one location. It's a lot of data mining and verification, but I find such exercises soothing.

It's like a bad addiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4