• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Confirmed for PS4 Release First

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
Eh, another nostalgia cash grab. This game was great for it's time, but it fails in comparison to what's available today. I feel sorry for anyone who will playing it for the first time with too high of expectations. Everyone who played it as a kid will be in a nostalgia coma while younger kids will be wondering what the big deal is.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
FF7 is largely a story about an overgrown adolescent finally learning to take his head out of his ass and so rising to defeat a boring conceited jerk who never did the same.

A remake might be worth it just for having a competent (or just proof-read) translation, but I have to say I don't expect a game from the modern Square-Enix to be able to capture the small-scale personal aspects of the story. Get ready for mountains of flashy fluff.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
I knew that FF lost some of its popularity, but I didn't expect the situation to be so dire. If Squenix uses last ace in their sleeve you know how desperate they are. Well, hopefully this remake will be available on PC too.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
*Sits back with popcorn and waits for the cut scenes to come out...at some point*
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
*Sits back with popcorn and waits for the cut scenes to come out...at some point*

Most likely what I'm going to do too. The only FF game I've ever played is Crisis Core so FF announcements aren't that much of a deal for me, but since this game is related to Crisis Core I'm interested in it. I don't have a PS4 yet. If I like what I see I'll most likely pick this up along with whenever Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out since that game is the only reason I'll be buying a PS4 in the first place Anime hyper
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Wow. Pretty epic fangasm over here, but I can't pretend not to be slightly worried about things getting all dark and moody, with no crossdressing, parades, or turn based slapping contests anymore. Also, I want to explore every single building. But, still, the excitement wins out for now.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
SE's track record is horrible at this point. Seriously, It's about time. No mention of a date. Luminious Engine in full effect.

I really hope all that time spent on that engine helps square to start firing off games quickly.

I'm sure there'll be more details on FFVII at the SE conference later today. I suspect we'll be hearing about XBO and PC versions then.

But with this being SE's biggest E3 announcement my hopes for that rumored Chrono Trigger game are dwindling.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redhotironypistol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
I am really, really excited for this! Though, how do I inform the writer of the article that Nomura is not the original director? Yoshinori Kitase directed the original.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
This news just puts every one in the good mood. Or at least it did for me, brought back some memories of playing FF7 in my teens. I'm getting PS4 for sure now.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Wow. Pretty epic fangasm over here, but I can't pretend not to be slightly worried about things getting all dark and moody, with no crossdressing, parades, or turn based slapping contests anymore. Also, I want to explore every single building. But, still, the excitement wins out for now.

The turn-based slapping is what made the game for me Laughing

For the most part I'm excited, but at the same time I'm waiting on actual game play footage and more information before I set a standard of expectation. I see alot of people are setting expectations based on Nomura or other factors but I think that's unfair to do considering its still in early stages. Wait until more information is released. Let's just be excited in the thought that Square Enix is finally doing it after 10 years or so since the last tech demo for the PS3 hardware.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess Square realized that if they need money it's time to find the right time to milk a new generation as well as the older generation. Well, I'll believe it when I see it. But it's on my list of games to buy as soon as it's ready.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:

The turn-based slapping is what made the game for me Laughing

And why I've been unable to play any of the real-time hi-def upgrades after XII, where you set up automatic macros and watch the game play itself until something happens. ("Yeah, whatever, game, I gotta hit the toilet, so just call me if you need some more health powerups, 'kay?") Confused
Oh, and if I want to buy potions, I don't want to roam around Midtown Manhattan looking for them--I want the village on one screen, I want the store over here, I want the inn over there, and I want the save point over there.

FFX/X-2 had it, and we remember VII and X's as The Last Good Ones.
(And they've already upgraded the X's.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
I find no point in make a remake of a game

The money, of course. Final Fantasy VII was a huge moneymaker for Square, and a remake will sell to the biggest fans of that game and the curious who missed the

Razor/Edge wrote:
Eh, another nostalgia cash grab. This game was great for it's time, but it fails in comparison to what's available today. I feel sorry for anyone who will playing it for the first time with too high of expectations. Everyone who played it as a kid will be in a nostalgia coma while younger kids will be wondering what the big deal is.

The same could be said for Pokémon Versions FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire, all of which were tweaked here and there in gameplay (and had massive graphics overhauls) to keep them up to date with the franchise during that generation. Game Freak could do it; I don't see why Square-Enix cannot.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Though put proper context into this announcement and suddenly the excitement melts away like sugar in the rain. 2015 SE is NOT 1997 Squaresoft who made FF7. Instead of guys at the height of their ability we have a team of guys who worked on FF7, but weren't the key players. Furthermore it's being done by Nomura, the guy behind Compilation of FFVII; I dread how he'll shoehorn in the middling Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children stuff that we never wanted and try to "fix" things about the game. This might as well be SE admitting they no longer have any idea of what to do with the franchise and that the last eight entries since VII have been a waste of time.

What about KH? "A Realm Reborn?" "Bravely Default?" Do those games just not exist?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I have completed every numbered single-player FF and DQ game, all the story based spin offs / sequels / prequels and have also played all of Square´s of Enix "big" games. I have even 100%ed Drakengard 1 for some reason and FVII is still my favorite game but RE4 come close. I further played through an "HD mod" of FF VII in 2014 for a 3rd time overall and the classic still holds up. The re-master work the fans did made it look like early PS 2 game and even a re-translation exists so i would advise newcomers to play the original too / first as this one is incapable of coming out before 2018 or a later date with SE´s plate.

The company certainly struggled a lot during the last decade worth of content on the Japanese front and straight out lost relevance due to the high quality output of Bethesda and so on but the last few years showed a clear rebound in quality and this commitment to their most profitable and beloved single player game after a decade of teasing is welcomed even if unsurprising. The teaser also acknowledged the existence of the compilation and CC + AC Complete + Book 1 were quality additions to the canon that need to be worked into the new script. The "humor" will need to be touched up too but BC (the phone game), DoC (the script is a nightmare) and the 2nd book that never left Japan need to be banished from continuity. I wonder how expensive the game will turn out too as the original could have tanked the company back in the day but FF XV and KH3 have been in the cooker for a decade straight. The game will lastly have a hard time to not get an M if the original direction (a televised gas chamber execution will go over great) and a C by Cero is a given but even Batman justifiably rocks an M / 16+ these day.

Welcome back Gaia and this one will probably kick of another complication with the how games work nowadays. A project by Hajime Tabata has my blessing but Motomu Toriyama need to be kept away with a stick (more Type Zero and no more Lightning).
E3 2015 is a blast btw and the 9th one i have streamed live over the web. Go video games!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5