• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cosplay Group TuxTeam Perfectly Capture My Love Story! Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
trans women are frequently MURDERED by angry guys who felt that simply by existing, trans women are inherently deceptive, inherently trying to trick them. Trying to 'trap" them. They are beaten and KILLED for this.

I'm curious but do you have a source for these claims and breaks down how it compares to other crime rates? I've never heard of this being such a widespread problem. This is the first time I've ever heard this being brought up along with criticism of the word as well.

Calico wrote:
And why do you think that is? Why do we think characters that don't look like members of their own sex are inherently funny? We laugh at stuff like this because it feeds into the culture(both in the U.S. and Japan) of finding trans people hi-larious.

I think that's reasing into something a bit too much. I've never seen any kind of situation like this as being an insult to transexual people. One of the recurring jokes and sometimes important plot points in Detective Conan is a teenage female detective character being mistaken for a boy because she dresses like a boy and has no breasts. When they question her because of her lack of bust, she laughs it off and says that her breasts will grow in any time now. I don't see how that's slight against transexual people but rather just a standard joke about a girl having a small bust size. They make no mention about the mental aspect of gender identity disorder.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
For the people asking "does this happen in real life?"

Pretty much every trans anime fan I know complains about it. You've also had trans people post in this thread explaining why they find it offensive. I've been to a lot of LGBTQ-themed panels at cons, and pretty much every single that touches on trans issues ends up talking about the pervasiveness of "trap" as a term both for characters and real people in anime fandom. And it's always universally agreed-upon to be offensive.

It's one thing to not be aware of the word's offensiveness. I don't understand the impulse to dig in your heels and insist there's nothing wrong with it, though. It's just a word, based on a really stupid and overdone joke at that. When you have actual trans people telling you they don't like hearing it, why wouldn't you want to stop saying it to respect their feelings, at least? Even when I disagree with someone about a certain word like that, I at least stop saying it around them.

gloverrandal wrote:
I'm curious but do you have a source for these claims and breaks down how it compares to other crime rates? I've never heard of this being such a widespread problem. This is the first time I've ever heard this being brought up along with criticism of the word as well.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trans+women+violence+rates

(Posting that less for the snark and more because it was easier than listing every single link I found when I searched for it.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
As SailorTralfamadore pointed out, there are so many different links that I don't know where to begin, but here is one particularly sobering fact.

In the first 7 weeks of 2015, 7 trans women were murdered. A murder per week.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2015/02/20/miami-seventh-trans-woman-murdered-us-2015

In 2012, the ENTIRE YEAR, there were 25 documented anti-LBGTQ homicides total. (Which was the 4th highest total ever at the time) That 25 includes not just transgender women (though they accounted for over half of them), but any anti-LGBTQ murders.

http://www.glaad.org/blog/ncavp-report-2012-hate-violence-disproportionately-target-transgender-women-color

We're set for 2015 to break the known record for the number of trans women killed in the US by a staggering number.

(And before anyone says "well, considering the US murder rate these numbers don't seem that high", you have to also consider the total population of a particular demographic.)

Also, trans women are frequently victims of sexual assault!

http://www.ovc.gov/pubs/forge/sexual_numbers.html
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
However context is also important, there is no need to take it this far when the discussion was originally cosplay and the comments in pro or con towards the guy crossdressing as a woman (which most likely is not even gay or transgender to begin with) and how ANOTHER MALE, specifically straight looks at that, there was no attack nor rudeness directed towards cross-dressing nor transexuality and specifically against trans woman.

This is another fine example of the internet and knights taking things too far and taking offense in place of the "affected group". If we were indeed talking about transgender people if would be a different issue.

I also really want to know how many of the people here taking offense in place of the affected party, if there is one.. actually partake with said group of people, you can go to forums, you can discuss in panels, the theory and the reality when you personally partake with them is different.

I have many gay friends, many lesbians, some transgender or those than want to at some point and I have yet to see them take this as far as the fine gentlemen primarily here take, and worst when there are no comments specifically against or rude towards LBGTQ.

Here if we say that looks "gay" people that are not even gay take offense, in reality the majority of gay use the same term and I have yet to see them take offense, here if as a straight male I say I cannot like or find "likeable" "alluring" "nice" "hot" a male dressing as a woman, and that I dislike it as a straight man then I am making rude comments towards LBGTQ, nope, its the same as my gay friends saying how they DISLIKE the thought to kiss a woman..just because they dont like women, opposite gender, they are being rude against heterosexuals? Many even say they can almost vomit at the thought of female genitalia! Surprised should us heterosexuals feel offense or heterosexual women feel offense?

I have talked with a couple transgender women, speaking about how then want heterosexual men to like them and see them as women, they see themselves as women, but in reality that is a little difficult in practice, most straight male wont be into it and have a problem with it, more if not told the truth from the beginning. Now this is a serious problem, very deep, very touchy. This discussion goes on to very lengthy, very deep, soon it comes to females as sexual objects, one perceptions and a big ETC but as a man its hard to share the perspective, for good or bad, right or wrong its HARD to see and share the perspective, thus males perceiving deception or trans not seeing it...very touchy, very deep topic, I leave it here.

Sure, the repression against LBGTQ is still a huge problem, but seriously there is no need to dress in white knight armor when we re not even discussing such hot topics.

The majority of gays I know for example openly say dont dont like men or other gay dressing as women, I doubt they are discriminating or being rude against LBGTQ or yes? or specifically against cross-dressing, transvestites, its just their preference, just as heterosexuals will hardly say they like people of the same sex attractive, cross-dressing or not and its NOT an attack.

Its very good to be educated and open our eyes toward LBGTQ violence, most of us at least know the still persistent repression, personally unlike the majority of people here, probably, I do partake with them, but there is no need to overreact when the news is not even about LBGTQ nor transgender people nor specifically against transgendered women.

Sure you can say that we are not friends and noone can be sure when one its offending or not on random forums, with walls of text, but really context is important, we are not little kids on this forum, we should be able to know when one is attacking or not.

Additionally discussions are more healthy so we all can understand each other instead of the censorship and threats of the moderators here, people will never be able to understand each other through censorship, moderating our thoughts and views, we wont be able to see different perspectives, but nothing comes of censoring our thoughts and views, its always better to discuss them, even more if done politely, otherwise this kind of threats on this site instead of helping the LBGTQ community, understanding said people views, thoughts, problems, all it does its segregate us even more instead of getting to know each other more, understanding our problems, and integrating them more socially, helping against repression, sheltering does nothing but the contrary effect. The sun cannot be blocked with one finger after all.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The majority of gays I know for example openly say don't don't like men or other gay dressing as women, I doubt they are discriminating or being rude against LBGTQ or yes? or specifically against cross-dressing, transvestites, its just their preference, just as heterosexuals will hardly say they like people of the same sex attractive, cross-dressing or not and its NOT an attack.

Calling them gross is an attack. Insinuating that no heterosexual cismale would ever date/be in a relationship/be attracted to a transfemale is a demonstrably false blanket statement.

The gay men you know wouldn't date a transwomen. Because they're gay men. They're attracted to men. Transwomen aren't men. Unless you're talking about lesbian women saying they wouldn't date a transwomen, in which case that's pretty crappy just like it would be to state racial or ethnicity preferences.

But none of this is the point of this cosplay post until you came in here and started discussing about how gross it was that a guy put a skirt on and some make-up.

P.S. your thoughts aren't being "censored," you've been told to take them elsewhere. Feel free to espouse them in a place that welcomes these kinds of bigoted thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
@ Madoka...AYUKAWA!

You've made your points but as you've made them in a civil manner this time I won't delete the post, even though I disagree with you.

Nevertheless, you have completely derailed the thread. Please desist from further commentary on the matter. Any further posts by you in this thread will be deleted. Please consider this also a warning that any similar derailments elsewhere will be given short shrift and possibly lead to you being placed on moderation.

If you have any issues with the moderators please take them up via PMs or the Feedback board.

Thanks.

Edit. To all posters, please refrain from making any posts not directly relating to the original interest article.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
Oh my god, that's so cute! Anime hyper They really nailed it!

No kidding. I mean the guy doing Takeo is just spot on. The facial gestures are awesome. That's one thing I really love about some cosplayers. The ones who really get into the character. They act and and look and talk like them. I mean if you're going to cosplay why stop at just dressing up as the character? Go all out! That guy does Takeo credit.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I just saw the third ep of the show and that cosplay is spot on, especially Takeo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4