• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cosplay Group TuxTeam Perfectly Capture My Love Story! Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
And plenty of black people use the n word, and some don't care if white people use it either. That doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the wishes of all the black people who DO care just because some don't.

Those two words aren't even remotely the same thing. One is a racially charged word with decades of history and hatred behind it to the point it was a factor of the Civil War and the other is just an issue of a small minority of people take issue with it on the internet, most of whom don't even partake in the practice.

That is so utterly wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Did you not even read Hope's post? Let me tell you something: trans women are frequently MURDERED by angry guys who felt that simply by existing, trans women are inherently deceptive, inherently trying to trick them. Trying to 'trap" them. They are beaten and KILLED for this.

Despite this fact, the "deceptive trans woman" (and sometimes male crossdresser) is frequently shown in the media, made the punchline of a cheap "joke." "Trans women are liars trying to trick men," "oh gosh you kissed a dude man, gross," so on and so on. And the use of the word trap in this context is part of that, playing into the whole "trying to trick men myth."

And, need I remind you, that belief frequently gets people murdered.

It's not just some word that some people on the internet are afraid of. It's a word that represents attitudes and beliefs that literally get people murdered.

I feel like I am repeating myself, but I wonder, just how many times do people need to empathize that this LITERALLY GETS PEOPLE MURDERED before people will understand that this isn't about a bunch of people being over-sensitive on the internet.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
The analogy was because both transphobia and racism are forms of hate. Or do we have to reiterate again that people kill trans women over this? (ETA: It appears Mad_Scientist jumped my gun on this, pointing it out several more times. But hey, one more time probably doesn't hurt!)

I'm not sure why this needs more than the initial explanation. At the very least, it should be obvious that calling someone's appearance a "trap" is inherently mean, especially when it's so often applied to a societally marginalized group. It doesn't matter if you personally swear up and down that you only use it for cis crossplayers. First of all, I don't think you can so easily separate that discomfort out (I've never met a person who was uncomfortable with "cross-dressing" who wasn't also a transphobe), but it also doesn't change the way that word is normally used. It doesn't change how other people are going to hear it.

You say it would be a huge load if the moderators tried to eliminate the word entirely for the forum? I don't think it would be that much; these topics only come up so often. But even so, that's a small price to pay if that makes this a friendlier place to be for trans people, I think.

Whether official companies have used it in past translations is irrelevant. Awareness of trans issues has advanced a lot in the past few years. There's no reason to tie ourselves down to the past. FUNi used the word in a tweet they later deleted and re-worded when some people told them they found it offensive. Clearly they're willing to move on, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Kitsunelaine wrote:
chito895 wrote:
It all depends on how you say those kind of things, actually, but that's hard when we are just writing things in a forum/computer, and not talking face to face.

Exept "Trap" is just wrong, period.

No excuse. There's no way you can use that word that isn't by nature dehumanizing. Go and reread Hope's post. You missed the point.

Words mean things. And when you learn they mean things like Trap does, the correct response is to stop using them. You don't get to twist the definition or use a "But context" defence.

Sorry again if any of the things I said was wrong or offensive, but I didn't miss any points. I just gave my opinion and that's all. Is there a problem with giving my opinion? The least thing I'd do is to offend people with despective words like that, and after reading all these discussion, I'm completely sure that I won't speak like that if I go to North America or any other country or continent. And once again, I wish I could do such a great cosplay like these guys.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
I just gave my opinion and that's all. Is there a problem with giving my opinion?

The definition & history of a word is not a matter of opinion. Those don't magically change if you "say it differently". There are some things that just aren't OK. That's the main thing I'm trying to get across. You're saying sorry without really understanding what the problem is, and I'm trying to help with that.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
That is so utterly wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Did you not even read Hope's post? Let me tell you something: trans women are frequently MURDERED by angry guys who felt that simply by existing, trans women are inherently deceptive, inherently trying to trick them. Trying to 'trap" them. They are beaten and KILLED for this.

Firstly, nobody is talking about transgendered people. People are talking about anime, manga, and crossdressing. Crossdressing and being transgender are not the same thing, and crossdressing is not considered part of the LGBT community because most crossdressers are straight, and do it merely for fun or as a fetish. It's inherently deceptive to lump crossdressing and transgender issues together. Not every girl who cosplays as male Attack on Titan or Naruto characters identifies as men, nor every guy who cosplays as a Sailor Guardian identifies as a woman. A lot of the time they usually just simply like the characters or are having fun. It's presumptuous to just assume anyone who cross-dresses is transgendered and lump these issues together and insisting the word is strictly a transgender issue.

Secondly, the word is not exclusive towards one gender. If you single out men attacking trans-women, then is it acceptable to use the word for female characters like Naoto and Sera since they're women passing as men and therefore not the victim of men, which I presume is the actual heart of this issue? "Trap" is used to describe your Seras just as much as they are to describe your Hideyoshis. Very few "trap" characters are transgendered, they're often just mistaken due to have either a flat chest or just being very effeminate. It has nothing to do with gender identity, which is why the connotation of crossdressing and transgender is flawed.

I also don't see why an American problem should affect Japanese media, which I assume these murders you speak of take place in America and not Japan as that kind of hate crime is more of an American thing, especially a culture like Japan where effeminate men are not demonized and are in fact considered cool in pop culture. Applying American viewpoints to Japanese media is generally flawed

-Stuart Smith
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
If they ever decide to make a LA out of this (which doesn't sound so farfetched considering the recent trend), I vote for that guy to play Takeo!

Agreed. From a purely aesthetic standpoint I think this trio nailed it. Very Happy
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Firstly, nobody is talking about transgendered people. People are talking about anime, manga, and crossdressing. Crossdressing and being transgender are not the same thing,

I'm well aware of that, but the word trap is used as a slur against both, and it's use hurts both. You cannot separate the use of the slur against crossdressers from its use against trans women and the attitudes it promotes for both.

Quote:
and crossdressing is not considered part of the LGBT community because most crossdressers are straight, and do it merely for fun or as a fetish. It's inherently deceptive to lump crossdressing and transgender issues together.

Again, you're using a slur that applies to both. Sometimes people use the word f***** to insult people who aren't gay. Does that mean it's not an issue for gay people?

Quote:
Not every girl who cosplays as male Attack on Titan or Naruto characters identifies as men, nor every guy who cosplays as a Sailor Guardian identifies as a woman. A lot of the time they usually just simply like the characters or are having fun.

Again, I'm well aware of that.

Quote:
It's presumptuous to just assume anyone who cross-dresses is transgendered and lump these issues together and insisting the word is strictly a transgender issue.

I don't assume that. I just think you shouldn't use slurs against either. Again, if someone was calling a man in a dress a f*****, would you say "well you don't know the man is gay, so the issue has nothing to do with gay people"?

Quote:
Secondly, the word is not exclusive towards one gender.

Well, in the sense that it's used both for male crossdressers and trans women, you are right.

Quote:
If you single out men attacking trans-women, then is it acceptable to use the word for female characters like Naoto and Sera since they're women passing as men and therefore not the victim of men, which I presume is the actual heart of this issue?

No it's not, because it's still a slur. My mentions of violence were to impress on you the seriousness of the history of the slur, and why it is so toxic to many people. Your argument is like saying "well, why can't I call a white person the n-word, it's not like their ancestors were slaves taken from Africa!"

Quote:
"Trap" is used to describe your Seras just as much as they are to describe your Hideyoshis.

No, people use the term "reverse trap" for them, and it's much less common, though partially that may be because characters like that are far less common.

Quote:
Very few "trap" characters are transgendered, they're often just mistaken due to have either a flat chest or just being very effeminate.

I'm not saying they are. It's still a slur.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with gender identity, which is why the connotation of crossdressing and transgender is flawed.

This is like saying that someone who calls a man in a dress f***** has nothing to do with gayness if the man isn't actually gay. Sorry, f***** is still a slur used to attack gay people, and trap is still a slur used against trans women with a history of violence and horror attached to it, and the fact that it is also sometimes used for crossdressers does not change that fact.

Also, crossdressers can be murdered to, you know. It's not as common as trans women being killed I believe, but a lot of the toxic attitudes that the use of the word "trap" entails hurts male crossdressers too.

Quote:
I also don't see why an American problem should affect Japanese media, which I assume these murders you speak of take place in America and not Japan as that kind of hate crime is more of an American thing, especially a culture like Japan where effeminate men are not demonized and are in fact considered cool in pop culture. Applying American viewpoints to Japanese media is generally flawed

I wasn't aware the ANN boards were "Japanese media." I don't have the hate crime rates for Japan on hand, but they are utterly irrelevant to the context of this discussion.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Less self-righteous posturing and ad-hominem attacks will keep this thread open and its participants' posting privileges retained.
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
In the context of anime & manga, I'd say this:
Trap = Woman dressed as a man, fooling the audience to think she is a he
Reverse trap = Man dressed as a woman, fooling the audience to think he is a she
Simple as that. Different words have different meanings in different contexts. Everywhere I've been, when talking about anime & manga, everyone uses the word trap, but because they all know the meaning in context, nobody gets triggered.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
If I went too far in my posts, I apologize.

That said, well, I think I'm done arguing (probably) as I doubt I'll be able to convince anyone.

But, just a remember, Hope (JesuOtaku) made it very clear that, on these boards at least, the use of the word trap to describe people will not be tolerated. And that is ANN's decision to make, regardless of whether you (not you Galap the mod, you as in the general you) personally think the term is harmless or not.

I've already made my thoughts on whether it's harmless or not clear, I hope.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I don't think this is correct. I love both One Piece and Tokyo Godfathers, but the 'okama' characters in both are mainly played for laughs. I really like Mr. 3 Bon Kurei and Hana as characters, but whether or not they are good representation is debatable.

Or maybe you were talking about the girly looking men in shoujo and yaoi manga. That's a different issue than the one we were talking about, and I think that has at least partially to do with art style. Same thing with characters like Howl of Howl's Moving Castle.
Flaming Flame Flamester

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Firstly, nobody is talking about transgendered people. People are talking about anime, manga, and crossdressing. Crossdressing and being transgender are not the same thing,

I'm well aware of that, but the word trap is used as a slur against both, and it's use hurts both. You cannot separate the use of the slur against crossdressers from its use against trans women and the attitudes it promotes for both.

Trap in almost all circumstances refers to anime and manga (I have never seen the term used to describe anyone in real life, and if I ever did, I'd be the first to tell them to shut their mouth). However, what it comes down to, as I mentioned earlier, is the the enitre concept of traps (as the internet has dubbed them for now) is that they're mostly played for comedy. That's why they're given a comedic response like trap, nobody (at least nobody I hang out with, or talk to online) has ever gotten seriously angry over a character being a trap, usually they laugh about how they fell right into it, and that's it. Almost always the characters don't identify as the sex they resemble in appearance, but rather their physical sex at birth, and that's it. Trap to me is fine as long as it stays where it belongs, with anime characters, and from what I've seen that has remained true. Even if it didn't, I think it'd be easier to just shame people using it to describe transgendered women in real life (which again, I'm sorry if it happens, I just don't see it at all), than to just remove the word entirely. It's meant to be comedic, that's how the word is used now (again, at least from what I've seen), where as a term like androgynous is long, not particularly funny, and wouldn't be as encompassing. If an anime character came along that did identify as a woman, and it was meant to be a serious story, I would probably have a lot more problems with it, but for now, that hasn't happened.
Bagheera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
It is during debates like these that I harken back to wiser words from the sages of old:

My Cat's Breath smells like cat food - Ralphy Wiggam
Calico

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Flaming Flame Flamester wrote:

Trap in almost all circumstances refers to anime and manga (I have never seen the term used to describe anyone in real life, and if I ever did, I'd be the first to tell them to shut their mouth).

I don't mean to attack you or your views, but "trap" is definitely used as a slur against trans women in real life. It isn't one of the more common ways to insult trans women, but it is used.
Also, I was wondering about this:
Quote:
However, what it comes down to, as I mentioned earlier, is the the enitre concept of traps (as the internet has dubbed them for now) is that they're mostly played for comedy.

And why do you think that is? Why do we think characters that don't look like members of their own sex are inherently funny? We laugh at stuff like this because it feeds into the culture(both in the U.S. and Japan) of finding trans people hi-larious.
Quote:
It's meant to be comedic, that's how the word is used now (again, at least from what I've seen), where as a term like androgynous is long, not particularly funny, and wouldn't be as encompassing.

Why do we need a term like "trap" with the baggage it has attached to it? Androgynous is a fine word, and does encompass people male and female who don't look like the stereotypical member of their sex.

Quote:
If an anime character came along that did identify as a woman, and it was meant to be a serious story, I would probably have a lot more problems with it, but for now, that hasn't happened.

Yeah, I've seen this a lot too. Give me any of the few manga/anime with a transgender character and you'll have a few dozen people calling them a trap, whether they are a trans woman or a trans man. I've seen it in Wandering Son, I've seen it in Yuureitou, and I suspect it happens elsewhere.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the cosplays look cute.
I've had my two cents now, so I'm not going to continue arguing with anyone.

Last edited by Calico on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
IchigoKurosakiHollowfi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
Oh my god, that's so cute! Anime hyper They really nailed it!

Agreed! Very Happy
I would love to take a photo with them. :3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4