• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Aw, dang it. And if you look at the chart errinundra posted, you'll see spoiler[Kisaragi was one of the first ships to sink.]

The Kisaragi business notwithstanding, I doubt the anime is going to follow actual history that far. For one thing the enemy is totally different and beyond W (wake) Island it would be too hard to replicate the entire Japanese theatre in this format.

that and the fact that sinking the popular ships like Kongou, Shimakaze, Yamato, and Atago will result in a lot of angry screaming from fans or doujin artists and well, that could end badly for both sides of the ocean.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Poor spoiler[Kisaragi]. This episode was okay, but that ending. Looks like the writers are going for something more dramatic. Not a bad thing at all.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll be impressed if they recreate Midway and kill off half the cast.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I wondered how long I could hold out against using this, but it sums up the episode perfectly.

You sunk my Battleship!

So if we're going by errinundra's list then spoiler[Akagi and Kaga] will be the next two visiting Davy Jones's Locker. Though with them both being spoiler[Carriers and Fubuki's inspiration], I can't see that happening quite yet.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Does it make me a bad person that I want Ooi to sink next? You can only take clingy jealous girl so far...
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Yudachi can join her. that "poi" thing is annoying
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey, after Fubuki, Yuudachi is the one I have the 2nd most interest in thus far so I must oppose your suggestion.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, if they take away Yuudachi, she will go down with a glorious boom for sure. I might not mind seeing that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:
Decent episode overall, spoiler[liked the balance of the mood between the first and second half. It was nice seeing Kongou being involved this time as well with Fubuki being assigned a new mission.]

spoiler[I knew the sad feelings would hit them eventually thought at the end. Hopefully they can move on soon but losing a friend is never easy.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Some of these spoilers are from the source material. Remember, if you're posting spoilers from source/secondary material, you must tag them as such. -Galap

Ugh I really don't know how to feel about this episode. Really the whole execution of the show feels so half baked to me. It's becoming increasingly clear that the producers wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

This episode is one where the sum of its parts is greater than the whole. The stuff with the Kongou sisters was very funny and felt ike they animated it straight out of a doujin I enjoyed watching them act silly and weird. The stuff with spoiler[Mutsuki's quiet denial over Kisaragi sinking was equally powerful and probaby could have held an episode on its own] But when you put the two parts together it feels less like a juxtoposition between the two elements and more like they don't know who they want to please so they're just gonna do both.

The ending really didn't feel earned. spoiler[I never felt like Fubuki and the other destroyers had all come to terms with what happened and it was just Mutsuki still in denial and the I UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN hug at the end was just sappy and cheesy] It wanted me to feel emotions without actually confronting them in their entirety.

EDIT:spoiler[ NEXT WEEK ON KANCOLLE WE (FINALLY) GET TO RUIN KAGA'S DIGNITY (In front of Fubuki Kaga never had dignity in the fandom Razz)]

spoiler[edit: AVAST YE WHO READ THIS POST STEEL YOUSELF FOR THERE BE SPOILERS REGARDING THE GAME KNOW THIS AND BEWARE YARRR Also I am thoroughly oppossed to sinking Yuudachi I want to see her Nightmare of Soloman Kai Ni first and then you can sink her][/spoiler]

Last edited by Plasmaeclipse on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Eh...somewhat mediocre episode. At least it got interesting near the end. And I'm sure everyone's happy that Shimakaze finally showed up.

Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Ugh I really don't know how to feel about this episode. Really the whole execution of the show feels so half baked to me. It's becoming increasingly clear that the producers wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

It was the opposite for me, I thought the silly Kongou stuff was pretty dull. Otherwise, I agree. The show's staff can't seem to decide if they want silly or serious and they're having a hard time balancing both.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
It's becoming increasingly clear that the producers wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

What's the point of having a cake if you don't eat it?

I think the balance was just right, actually. It's precisely because something sad happened that you need some silliness. I found the antics hilarious, especially with Fubuki being the straightman. spoiler[It's obvious the sisters' intent was to cheer Fubuki up and they know exactly what she's going through since it's a pretty common thing in their line of work. Kongou could convey that through a simple hug, which Fubuki then used on Mutsuki.]

Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Also I am thoroughly oppossed to sinking Yuudachi I want to see her Nightmare of Soloman Kai Ni first and then you can sink her

I'd rather not. I much prefer her current design over her later one.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
It's becoming increasingly clear that the producers wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

What's the point of having a cake if you don't eat it?

I think the balance was just right, actually. It's precisely because something sad happened that you need some silliness. I found the antics hilarious, especially with Fubuki being the straightman. spoiler[It's obvious the sisters' intent was to cheer Fubuki up and they know exactly what she's going through since it's a pretty common thing in their line of work. Kongou could convey that through a simple hug, which Fubuki then used on Mutsuki.]

Which is why it's a good thing they alluded to all of this by having Nagato and Mutsu act like they're still early in their operations and this was the first loss they've actually taken.

I don't know where you got the idea that The Kongou sisters were trying to cheer Fubuki up because from the moment they were introduced it was quite clear that everything that happened this episode is quite normal for them.

The two plots seriously felt like they just mashed concepts together and just forgot to tie them together thematically or even logically until the very end.

spoiler[The destroyer classroom just completely baffled me because I had no clue what they were doing or why they were acting the way they were. In fact its almost like the writers knew that no one would get it and just had the Myoukou sisters exposit the information to us immediately after. Heck I didn't even know they broke the news to everyone until Mutsuki started obviously forcing a smile.]

They in no way showed anyone's reactions to the news other than being vaguely sad. Fubuki goes from being vaguely sad with everyone else to being the naive newcomer within a transition. Then she was vaguely sad again when that was over. It all tells me that everyone in the base knows that death is a possibility but doesn't actually confront it. In the end Kisaragi's death means absolutely nothing because we never see any kind of extreme reaction in anyone spoiler[except Fubuki and I would argue that was more of a reacton to having two RU's shelling her than anything] or even a hint that this would have any long term effect on anyone especially Mutsuki. By the end she's just happy and smiling again and everyone smiles like everything has been resolved and it's now a non issue. If they bring this up again later great but right now the cake is half baked and they did not earn the right to eat it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Which is why it's a good thing they alluded to all of this by having Nagato and Mutsu act like they're still early in their operations and this was the first loss they've actually taken.

Except they didn't? At least I didn't see that way. Nagato tried to pass it off as no big deal even when it did bother her. It's not that this was the first sinking, it's that every sinking still hurts.

Besides, we've already had an experienced ship girl (Akagi) speak about their mortality.

Plasmaeclipse wrote:
I don't know where you got the idea that The Kongou sisters were trying to cheer Fubuki up because from the moment they were introduced it was quite clear that everything that happened this episode is quite normal for them.

True, but they made a point to get Fubuki involved. The "You finally smiled" line is pretty telling too.

Plasmaeclipse wrote:
spoiler[The destroyer classroom just completely baffled me because I had no clue what they were doing or why they were acting the way they were. In fact its almost like the writers knew that no one would get it and just had the Myoukou sisters exposit the information to us immediately after. Heck I didn't even know they broke the news to everyone until Mutsuki started obviously forcing a smile.]

Eh, I felt the atmosphere in the classroom was somber enough. spoiler[Other than Mutsuki we didn't see any of them being particularly close to Kisaragi so I wasn't expecting them to be utterly devastated. They seemed to have accepted that she was gone but didn't know how to handle Mutsuki since she was in denial.]

It's just something one has to accept. You grieve and you move on. If you cower in the corner all day long fearing death, you're hardly living. That's why it's good to have girls like the Kongou sisters around so they can play their loud music and lure shut ins out of their rooms. It's precisely because you could get sunk at any time that you need to have fun.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
@ Plasmaeclipse: I've already asked you once to identify when one of your spoilers are from source material which you've ignored. I reported your post above where you did it again. Some posters strive not to be ignorant, others unfortunately need moderators to spell out the obvious to them. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13