• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ducks can't be happy? Sounds a bit speciesist (?) to me.

But, yes, the ending is bittersweet, although I was hoping spoiler[Rue would get Mytho].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
@Player No. 3

OK, I can totally see that. I think errinundra has the right idea that we should probably refer to it as bittersweet instead happy or sad since it is a combination of both.

I also recommend watching all of the "In the Booth" specials since I found them quite interesting. Then again, I'm a huge dub fan and watched the show dubbed, so your mileage may vary. The last one is a definite must see, though, since it's really nice to see Luci react like that and proves that actors aren't "just reading the script" like a lot of dub bashers like to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
In some ways Princess Tutu has a happy ending when spoiler[you compare it to how tragic it would have been by comparison had Drosselmeyer won out in the end]. But the problem is spoiler[ if it were too happy, it would've been a cop out, which would have infuriated me more than any other sort of ending, happy or sad] so the ending is a mix of happiness and sorrow but I don't think it could have ended any other way.

@errinundra
Didn't spoiler[Rue get Mytho? They decided to be together since they both have the blood of the raven within them and support each other in their fight against it. Or did you mean for Duck to get Mytho?]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure she means that it was bittersweet despite the fact the coupling she wanted played out like she wanted it to. So she's happy spoiler[Rue got with Mytho], but still found the ending bittersweet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
King of Hearts has read me correctly. Apologies for the ambiguous comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
@Player No. 3OK, I can totally see that. I think errinundra has the right idea that we should probably refer to it as bittersweet instead happy or sad since it is a combination of both.

I very much agree with that. I also agree with Calssicalzawa in that if everything was perfect, it would've felt a bit cheap.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Lizbeth Karpusi wrote:
...I watched Princess Tutu during the summer. It was a great series overall but I absolutely despised the ending

Please elaborate. Given the comments being posted by others I'm interested to hear another point of view.

(BTW, I have to say how much I appreciate this particular thread. It's a great source for anime recommendations.)
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
K-ON! - I have now watched the first five episodes, yes it's ultra moe, but it's a cute slice of life anime that really cheered me up, plus I can relate to Yui's frustration at everyone thinking her younger sister is more mature than she is, as I have asperger's syndrome and ADHD and I remember feeling like I wasn't good enough when I was younger because my younger sister was more independent than me. Yui's a nice kid, scatterbrain or no. The animation is really good as well. Can't wait for this to be released in the u.k. (or in the u.s., I'm just thinking the u.k. release might be significantly cheaper). And I'm really looking forward to the movie, particularly considering the amazing things I've been hearing about the quality of animation in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'm hoping the K-ON! movie looks that incredible too.

OT: I have also been watching a bunch of teen movies to cheer me up. And The Naked Gun. I even watched some of them on VHS, I actually saw the VHS of Akira and one with Battle Angel Alita and Appleseed on it in local secondhand stores, I didn't buy them as I already have Akira and BAA on DVD and I hear the older Appleseed OVA is terrible, plus they were dubbed and I like to watch the original language version.

I'm not sure what my next anime viewing will be, I wish I had more slice of life on DVD. I just ordered the first seasons of Aria and Hidamari Sketch, so I hope those turn up soon. I may try and complete my rewatch of Hitohira.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
well, I've been watching Quite abit lately, watched Suzaka over the weekend, it was OK, i'd give it a C. finished NHK today, that anime is..well its hard for me to describe..ending didn't like that much, but overall I'd give it a B. And now im slowly finishing up Part 1 of Pandora Hearts, its been pretty good so far.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
finished NHK today, that anime is..well its hard for me to describe..ending didn't like that much, but overall I'd give it a B.

Just out of curiosity, why did you give NHK a B? I enjoyed the look at dysfunctional subcultures and the show's more indirect general social commentary (the "conspiracy" is an invisible, unspoken, but widely understood social contract that's deformed itself over the recent past to which said subcultures are a reaction against). I also enjoyed the relationship dynamics between Sato, Misaki, and Hitomi; no one in that triangle really served as the "anchor character", and it worked. It's an "A" for me, but it's good to have another set of eyes for perspective's sake.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching nothing coz there's nothing good to watch.
That new Ghibli movie aint coming out soon
Haruhi movie due to spring 2011 so no
New shows each season r getting worse
and no i dont watch naruto, 1peice or bleach so thats out the window
so thats it rly

p.s Nhk, good show, ending sucked, but then again, they all do.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It's so awesome to see some Tutu love in here! It's my favorite series.

On the discussion about the ending, I think part of the point behind the pairings the characters ended up in is the idea that "true love" means loving someone despite of and maybe even because of their flaws. spoiler[Fakir knows way more about Ahiru than probably any other character and slowly grows to love her even knowing she's "just a duck." Rue loves Mytho so much that she's willing to face the darkness she brought about and do what she can to fix it--as much as Ahiru cares for Mytho, she's so terrified of him after he becomes tainted that she hesitates when trying to stop him.] By saying this I don't mean that spoiler[Ahiru]'s feelings for spoiler[Mytho] were false--just that they were a bit more immature and fantasy-based. spoiler[Rue]'s maybe started out that way, too, but by the end they share a deep connection to each other that I don't think spoiler[Ahiru] can rival it. spoiler[The same goes for Fakir and Ahiru, too--Mytho really cares for Princess Tutu, just one aspect of Ahiru the duck. Fakir knows every side of her and falls in love with the duck, not the idealized princess.]

So yeah, I think a bittersweet "earn your happy ending" sort of ending is how I've always viewed how Princess Tutu ended up. It's not exactly a conventional ending, but the show is all about going against story conventions.

Anyway, I'm currently watching Shiki (taking a break from School Rumble because I just haven't been in the mood for a silly comedy lately), and finished episode 8 a few hours ago. So far I really like the mood and style of the show, but the characters are a little...vague, I guess? There's some that we know the motivations behind and such, and maybe the characterization is just moving slow, but I haven't been gripped by the story yet and most of the characters that I DO like I like for their potential than what we've seen so far. It's still good enough to keep me watching though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch much over the holidays for some reason, but I'm behind on posting about what I have watched so I'll try to catch up here.

My-Hime: Why? I think it was because of reading about it on some thread so even though there are shows that have been on my shelf longer I watched this one. I had heard some people had problems with the ending and now I understand why, as it definitely spoiler[negates everything that happened previously in order to provide a happy ending]. For some reason though, it did not make me really hate the show. Perhaps this is because it had so many good things going for it-nice character designs, good music, a good balance between comedy and drama, and fan service that was entertaining without being annoying. Then agaiin, perhaps it was because by about episode 20 or so I felt the show was going a bit off the rails anyway (spoiler[OK, show of hands, who isn't a HiME? I was waiting for the writers to decide the fat guy was one too]). It did make me lower my rating for the show; with a better ending I would have rated it Excellent, as it is I rated it as Good. I also think it lessens the rewatch value (fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice; shame on me).

Ponyo: Why? Because it was on cable, so I got to watch it for "free" (English dub, of course). At the risk of getting flamed, I am definitely in agreement with those who feel this movie is great for 5-year-olds but not so much for the rest of us. It is beautiful to look at but I couldn't help feeling there was something missing; there didn't seem to be any real emotion to it. It's not an awful film, but I'm not sure I need to buy this.

Outlanders: Why? Because I was looking for something short to watch one night and this had been on the shelf for a year or so. An old-school OVA that should be subtitled "Coitus Interruptus-The Anime", I guess there are worse ways to spend about 45 minutes. The plot, such as it is, involves some intergalactic emperor deciding that since Earth is the "Sacred Planet" the creatures enhabiting it (that's us humans) should be eradicated. His daughter Princess Fahm is leading the attack from her spaceship, then she decides to come to the surface with a sword to personally dismember some soldiers. Spotting hapless photographer Tetsuya, she decides to add him to the body count but somehow this clown manages to pin her to the wall. spoiler[He stares at her cleavage, gets aroused, she notices his arousal and, instead of killing him kisses him, then conks him on the head and drags him back to her spaceship to be her husband (did I mention Fahm has green hair and horns? She does not wear a tiger-stripe bikini however). Since she knows daddy will never approve she figures if they boink daddy will have to accept the situation; unfortunately, then the interruptions start. First, Fahm's BFF Battia shows up and shows her disapproval of Fahm's choice of husband by getting in a swordfight with her...] I could go on, but why? Nothing makes sense, there is no resolution, so why bother. In fairness, it's not badly animated for its time and there is some nudity, and I only paid $4 for the DVD. I rated it as Decent.

Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid: Why? Because it's been sitting in my collection for over 2 years and I loved the first 2 seasons. I must say, in all honesty, I was a bit disappointed by this show, mainly because I had very high expectations. First, it seemed the writers were trying to hard to make the new villian Gates seem nastier than Guaron did in season 1, but he ends up coming off as just a flaming a-hole. I also felt the Xia sisters were not used as well as they might have been spoiler[(and wasn't it convenient to have them taken out by other villians so Sagara doesn't have to fight girls)]. Finally, the ending seemed really rushed. It's rare for me to say this, but this is one series that definitely needed to be longer. It does have its good points; although I've seen posts complaining how the BD version looks, the DVD version looked fine being played through my BD player on my 54" plasma (oddly, the menus are 4:3 but the show itself is anamorphic widescreen). There were even a couple of surprises (spoiler[I was surprised to see Sagara lose it and blow Guaron away]). I think I would rate this somewhere between Good and Very Good. As for the "bonus" OVA, I guess it had its humorous moments but I wouldn't blame some folks who would find it a bit squicky; it's hard enough to suspend disbelief and buy Tessa as the commander of a submarine without spoiler[turning her into an (underage) sex object].

Queen Emeraldas: Why? Because, again, I was looking for something short to watch one night. To be brief, if you're a Matsumoto fan you'll want to have this in your collection, otherwise you're not missing anything. Art and animation are nice, but the story is another matter. It's not as risible as Maetel Legend but it doesn't make all that much sense. I would rate this somewhere between Decent and Good.

Lost Universe: Why? Because I needed to at least watch some anime over the past weekend and this also has been in my collection for some 2 years. I'm 6 episodes in and so far it seems to play like Outlaw Star lite (according to the encyclopedia both ran in 1998). The animation is not very good, but I've heard it gets better as the series goes on. It's entertaining enough that I think I will stick with it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
I finished D.N Angel last week during Christmas break. Wasn't fond of the rushed ending but the series was still really cute. I am happy that I finally got to watch the whole thing after years of neglecting it. Smile

I started to watch Ah! My Goddess season 1. I watched the OVA's long long ago when it first came out on VHS. The art was so pretty and when I found out that a TV series was coming out I was pretty excited. However, I was kinda turned off from the TV series's art (thought that Belldandy looked a bit gibbled) and only watched one fansubbed episode. But now I am warming up to it and even grabbed season 2.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

So yeah, I think a bittersweet "earn your happy ending" sort of ending is how I've always viewed how Princess Tutu ended up. It's not exactly a conventional ending, but the show is all about going against story conventions.

At least by modern day standards. We're so accustomed to the Disney idea of the "fairy tale ending" that many of us forget that fairy tales didn't always have happy endings originally. Pick up a Grimm Brothers collection, or a Hans Christian Andersen collection sometime. Maybe 5/10 stories would be considered to have a purely "happy" ending, while the rest can end grimly or bittersweet.

So in many ways, Tutu is simply going back to its roots by having an old-school fairy tale ending instead of a "Disney" one.

It could have been worse anyway. Tutu could have turned into seafoam and ended up dying alone with nobody caring. Now THERE'S a classic fairy tale ending that no modern day anime fan would have liked. Laughing

Honestly, I think there's a very specific moral here that PT's ending was espousing, and you spelled it out perfectly, Morwen. spoiler[The fact is, the TRUE male hero of the show, Fakir, loved Ahiru whether she was a duck or a human. He was willing to take care of her and live with her for the rest of her life no matter what form she was. And he held up his end. To him, there's nothing WRONG with being a duck.

And I think people bitching about the ending are missing out on this key fact. They don't want Ahiru to be a duck, they want her to be a human. But the show is saying, "What's wrong with being a duck, especially if someone loves you for it?"]

spoiler[If Ahiru ended up being a human and getting Mythos], it would have been a cop out because everything the show was getting at up to that point had been the old anime moral--accept yourself, love yourself for who you are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 538 of 1062