• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunarose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
chingaling wrote:
Aw, bleach is good fun. Although I guess I do agree with you in saying Death Note's better, just cause it's so gripping.

*Snort* Do you remember the scene where Light spoiler[somehow hides the mini TV in that bag of chips?] This guy has a lot of brilliant plans, but I lost all respect for him the moment he shouted out,"I will take this chip-AND EAT IT!!!". Yes, with dramatic music and everything. I know this guy is a genius and everything, but... Did Ryuk really need to know that? Rolling Eyes

The anime seems to tend to over dramatize things. In some places, it is essential, but sometimes... it is wasted over chips.
chingaling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember him saying that for some reason, although I've never found that trick totally plausable to begin with.
Lunarose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
chingaling wrote:
I don't remember him saying that for some reason, although I've never found that trick totally plausable to begin with.

Ohhh, just watch over that episode again. It's even more hilarious in the English Dub.

Yes, I have no idea how he spoiler[hid a mini TV in a supposedly never opened bad of chips anyways.] But wouldn't that be awesome if they came as prizes anyways? Anime smallmouth
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, Death Note is intentionally melodramatic and perhaps unintentionally funny a LOT of the time. I think the creators made a wise decision in taking that tone. The story's a little too "out there" to be taken seriously. People that do get all serious about Death Note make me giggle. It's an extremely dark, morbid, and well-written Shonen Jump adventure. It's not exactly adult fare, it's more like young teen writing, but it's darn good young teen writing! Just have fun with it, you know, crazy potato chip line and all. (I love that line.)

Actually, since this thread was revived, I just picked out a minor plothole in the last episode of Death Note. Well, technically it's not a hole, just a logic error for both Light and Near, but it's not written in such a way that I think the writers knew it.

Basically, spoiler[Light pulls out a last-ditch bluff to distract Near while he writes his name on his tiny scrap of notebook. The problem is that the bluff DOES distract Near when there's no logic to it at all. Light says that the notebook Near has may not be real, and the only way to prove it is if he writes a name in it, Light's or Mikami's. This is ludicrous. Near should have shot back, "I'm positive that it's the real notebook because I can see Ryuk." Duh. But he just freezes and wonders if Light's bluffing.

Now yeah, Light may have known it was nonsensical and just wanted to keep talking, and Near may have only been humoring him, but I think the writers just flubbed up.]
Nepplar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
i consider this to be one of the better anime that is currently out there because it is just so different than everything else and so much better. Its nice to see different kinds of anime when the majority of whats out there is anime like naruto, bleach, and inuyasha. These 3 anime are HUGE and the thing that they all have in common is that they start out extremely well, naruto with the whole sasuke shindig, bleach with the first 69 episodes proly one of my fav anime till the crap they came out w/ after that, and inuyasha is just well...inuyasha. Unfortunately the other thing that they all have in common is that they just dont know when to quit these anime just keep on adding filler episode after filler episode until you wanna gouge our eyes out. I thouroughly enjoyd Death note because there was lots of character development and a great story line, granted the ending wasnt the best ever but you can't always have icing with your cake.
Also for anyone interested in other anime that are as awesome as this i would highly recommend Code Geass and Code Geass R2 imo the best anime out there currently also has the best ending to any anime i have ever seen, and if your looking for something newer thats a comedy id go with Detroit Metal City absolutely HILARIOUS.
chingaling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Lunarose wrote:
chingaling wrote:

Ohhh, just watch over that episode again. It's even more hilarious in the English Dub.

Yes, I have no idea how he spoiler[hid a mini TV in a supposedly never opened bad of chips anyways.] But wouldn't that be awesome if they came as prizes anyways? Anime smallmouth

Well, it was more like, spoiler[how does he write the names propperly in there? I always thought the note would probably just get pushed around by the pen so you'd need a pen that requires little pressure. I don't think I could do that without staring suspiciously long into the bag and still ending up with scribbles. (L: "why is he gazing at his bag of chips?")] So, yeah... It's not really that big of a deal though, but still interesting to note.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
chingaling wrote:
Lunarose wrote:
chingaling wrote:

Well, it was more like, spoiler[how does he write the names propperly in there? I always thought the note would probably just get pushed around by the pen so you'd need a pen that requires little pressure. I don't think I could do that without staring suspiciously long into the bag and still ending up with scribbles. (L: "why is he gazing at his bag of chips?")] So, yeah... It's not really that big of a deal though, but still interesting to note.

I suppose he had resealed the bag of chips, (not hard to do, double-sided tape,) and the note itself, if you will "note," is taped to the inside of the bag, so it didn't move around at all. He could just poke his hand in, write a few letters, eat a chip, and repeat. He'd have a name written in about five minutes or less.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
chingaling wrote:
spoiler["why is he gazing at his bag of chips?")]

spoiler[Light could have covered that up by occasionally sayings things like "I cannot believe that these chips are so good", "Such Exquisite packaging design" or "Fascinating! What do they put in these to make them so delicious?". Then L would just think that he seriously loves chips; which isn't extra particularly suspicious.
That'd cover up for the flourish he has when he EATS them too.]
highteckdudu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Wow Death note was the greatest show on for a long while then Light started to go crazy and it was dumb, the end made sense but it was dumb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the manga more, looking back. I didn't mind nearly as much when spoiler[ L dies toward the end of the series] in the manga, but when the same thing happened in the anime, it just came apart. It kinda lives and dies by the page.

. . .Wow, unintentional bad pun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chingaling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the note itself, if you will "note," is taped to the inside of the bag, so it didn't move around at all.

Ah, that sounds easier. I'd probably still have trouble but then again, it's Light...

Quote:
spoiler[Light could have covered that up by occasionally sayings things like "I cannot believe that these chips are so good", "Such Exquisite packaging design" or "Fascinating! What do they put in these to make them so delicious?". Then L would just think that he seriously loves chips; which isn't extra particularly suspicious.

I dunno, there's only so much love you can have for a bag of chips, but I guess Light has his wierd moments every now and then when he's trying to cover up stuff.

Quote:
I enjoyed the manga more, looking back. I didn't mind nearly as much when spoiler[L dies toward the end of the series] in the manga, but when the same thing happened in the anime, it just came apart. It kinda lives and dies by the page.

. . .Wow, unintentional bad pun.

Yeah, I thought it died down a bit after that too, but spoiler[Near wasn't that bad, just had to sit in L's shadow, and then Mikami came into the story and for me it got interesting again.]
Nepplar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
It is obvious that Light is quick witted and extremely smart so after watching the series i wondered why exactly he spoiler[ killed the fake "L" when the broadcast was live only in Japan wouldnt he think about it and quite possibly come to the conclusion that its a trap other than panicking like he did? It just seems a little out of character for someone so smart. Especialy considering that this mistake is HUGE and leads to his eventual downfall ]
Also I wonder how L spoiler[ came to the conclusion that Kira is in Japan, it doesn't explain this in the anime, and i havn't read the manga, all that happens is one of the Japanese police force guys says "What do you base this theory on?" L says "I hope to be able to show you soon..." not giving a clear answer as to why he thinks so. ]
I'm just wondering why Light makes this big mistake when throughout the anime he overcomes seemingly bigger obstacles without much effort.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Nepplar wrote:
I'm just wondering why Light makes this big mistake when throughout the anime he overcomes seemingly bigger obstacles without much effort.

Well, that is what we call character development. He got more cautious once he realised that the Death Note - and his intellect - were not as absolutely powerful as he had thought.
Nepplar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I understand character development and all, but it just seems as though you would be cautious from the get go especialy if spoiler[ L a world renownd detective shows his face on television for the first time evar ] at the very least you would wait until spoiler[ after the broadcst to kill "L"] again it just seems like a big mistake that could have been easily avoided had he put as much thought into it as hiding his book.
Lunarose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
chingaling wrote:
spoiler["why is he gazing at his bag of chips?")]

Haha, not bad. I remember the time when he had to cover his tracks and shocked his dad by reading those "magazines". That was hilarious. I guess L wouldn't even consider it suspicious at all considering how much attention he puts into sweets. He'd probably all like "Oh, so he likes chips? That's quite normal."

I still question the logic in THROWING AWAY the mini TV. Which probably was extremely expensive in itself. Unless that was some kind of chip prize? Laughing In the anime, when he does his little chip line thing, the moment he bites it, it plays the sound of glass breaking and fills in with dramatic music. Do chips usually do that or is that just a particular brand? Anime smile

I will probably never take the anime seriously ever again. Manga, yes, but the anime is just fun to watch the geniuses act all dramatic.

Does anyone else think that they should have filled in Rem's voice with a male's tone in the dub? I thought it was interesting to find out that spoiler[she was actually a female shinigami ], the voice really threw me off in the Japanese anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 57