• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Light is the villain who believes that he can create a new world where he as God can force people to do what he wants because he believes that he alone can judge people.

L, and Near are the detectives who must stop Light no matter the cost.

Since you haven't watched the last episode, I will just say that the Author shows you the true Light.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I've never thought of L as evil, but if the author himself says so I'm willing to believe it. What makes L evil as well? I'm genuinely curious.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Compiled definitions by the author in volume 13: (that I 100% agree with anyway)

Light is the protagonist. L is the antagonist. Very simple.

Light is horribly evil, along with Mikami, his lesser incarnation. L, Mello, Misa, Takada and various lesser characters are slightly evil in different respects, at the very least they're not role model material.

The purest "good" in the story, can such a thing be defined, is Soichiro Yagami. As far as worldview goes, the author says he identifies very closely with Near, who is mostly good, and sort of represents the goodness of L, while Mello is his darker side.

To answer some questions, L is half-evil because he is not solving the case for any morally bound reasons. He's doing it for "justice," you could say, but he thinks he IS justice. He's really fighting Light to win: to prove he cannot be beaten. He puts other people at risk and in danger because of his intuition. He turns out to be right at every turn, so we notice this less, but if we didn't know, or if his intuition had been mistaken, he would have done a lot of awful things to a lot of people and broken many laws for the sake of his ego. That is the self-serving childish and evil L, who rejoices in victory over his foes rather than working to restore order.

He's still fairly good in that he upholds moral law, would fight to the death for it, and cares about others to an extent. But if he had been raised differently, his passions easily could have been misdirected. He's my favorite character, but I like him just because he's such an odd case: he's not a very "good" good guy, and demonstrates a lot of ulterior motives.
Ichigooo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just to be clear though, Light is the protagonist and L is the antagonist. With Light being the protagonist all it means is that he is the main character of the story and that L is simply his opposing force which is the antagonist.

Well.. sure he's protagonist.. but my question is still remaining..

writer said both are evil... so its quite a funny.. its mean there is no hero in all story...

Quote:
To answer some questions, L is half-evil because he is not solving the case for any morally bound reasons. He's doing it for "justice," you could say, but he thinks he IS justice. He's really fighting Light to win: to prove he cannot be beaten. He puts other people at risk and in danger because of his intuition. He turns out to be right at every turn, so we notice this less, but if we didn't know, or if his intuition had been mistaken, he would have done a lot of awful things to a lot of people and broken many laws for the sake of his ego. That is the self-serving childish and evil L, who rejoices in victory over his foes rather than working to restore order.

yes.. i agree.. L now fighting for win... so he's the antagonist.. right..

so there is no hero in all story... beside some good persons... and no villain too.. well.. its quite intresting story...
Ichigooo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
by the way.. L cartoon character is not right... they makes some kind of horrible.. and funny Smile his sitting, walking, watching.. its seems like he's the villain.. but still actualy he's not a villain... well i think thats better if they create something like LIGHT... good looking...

Last edited by Ichigooo on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Ichigooo wrote:

writer said both are evil... so its quite a funny.. its mean there is no hero in all story...

so there is no hero in all story... beside some good persons... and no villain too.. well.. its quite intresting story...

No, there's definitely a "villain." It's Light, hands-down. He's the bad guy, but he's also the "protagonist" because the story is told from his angle, and he's the main drive. After all, Hannibal is the protagonist of Silence of the Lambs. Good and bad ain't got nothin' to do with it, it's just "normal" to tell the story from the good guy's perspective, and pretty surprising when it isn't. I do think, next to Hannibal maybe, that Light is one of the most evil, unsympathetic leads in any story. Scratch that. Hannibal was charismatic and sympathetic until you realized you were really liking a guy that eats people. Shocked

L is a hero, but an anti-hero of sorts, and the antagonist because he poses an obstacle to the story's main focus. And I didn't mean to infer that he was "evil," he's just not very "good." He's ultimately half-and-half, both motivated for justice, and motivated for selfish reasons. (Besides, he likes half-and-half, and lots of it, in his coffee. And SUGAR!)

Quote:
by the way.. L cartoon character is not right... they makes some kind of horrible.. Smile his sitting, walking, watching.. its seems like he's the villain.. but still actualy he's not a villain... well i think thats better if they create something like LIGHT... good looking...

One of my favorite ways to introduce this show when it was new was to show people a picture of Light and L together and tell them it was about a mass murderer and a brilliant detective, and then ask them to guess which one was evil and which was good. They guessed wrong, every time. I mean, some of them got that it was a trick question and said that maybe the mass murderer was good and the detective evil (somehow?) but everyone made the same mistake regardless. When pointing to the images, they automatically assumed that Light was the detective and L was the murderer. (They both look kinda wicked, so assuming that the detective was evil and that was the trick was only natural.) The really funny thing is not a matter of good and evil, it's that the detective is a vagabond dirtrag and the murderer is charismatic and well-dressed.

Now I don't have to introduce it to anyone, sadly, it's become WAY too popular.
Ichigooo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
i checked top 10 anime list before i choose to see death note...

there is death note on number 3 in Top 10 Best Rated with 8.90 rating and 5372 views..

and in Top 10 Most Popular on number 5 with 8.94 rating.

and in Top 10 Most Viewed on number 6 with 8511 seens..

and in only most viewed animes death note under the bleach and naruto..

i'm wonder... bcoz i didn't like it too much.. well.. this is my choice.. but i think naruto and bleach is alot of better...

if we see there is no proper end in this anime.. the main character kira is down.. but if writer want to stay with story then he can create more kiras only with distribution of notebook to any other.. so there is no way to secure world from kira's...

anyway.. this is my choice that bleach, naruto is alot of better then death note... so i'm wonder why this anime is on the top than bleach and naruto in top 10 list..

whats ur choice? if we comparison death note with naruto or bleach?
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Ichigooo wrote:
whats ur choice? if we comparison death note with naruto or bleach?

Personally, I prefer Naruto than Death Note. The more I watch Death Note, the lower my opinion becomes of it (the rating that I gave it on "My Anime" and MAL are the initial impressions after I finished it). After I stepped back for a while, I realized just how convoluted and nonsensical everyone's (by everyone, I mean a select few) deductions came to be. Not to mention that L, being the genius that he's made out to be, constantly made stupid, stupid mistakes that others would have seen had they had the same evidence. Especially early on, when they were trying to figure out how Kira did his killings.

On top of that, Light is a douche, it seems that they are only about 4 people in the Death Note world that have a brain. Rolling Eyes

I would still use this anime to get people interested to anime, though (been successful 2 out of 2 times). It does have some great production values and a hooking storyline, just as long as you don't think too much about it. >.>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Ichigooo wrote:
if we see there is no proper end in this anime.. spoiler[the main character kira is down.. but if writer want to stay with story then he can create more kiras only with distribution of notebook to any other.. so there is no way to secure world from kira's...]

Firstly, you may want to edit your post to include spoiler tags, despite its popularity, not everyone has seen it.

On to the issue of not having a proper ending: I heartily disagree. spoiler[Killing the protagonist of the story is a pretty definitive ending. Yes, a new owner could be chosen for the Death Note, but that's not really what the story is about; it was about Light trying to reshape the world as he wanted it and battling off the detectives who tried to stop him.] Just because there is potential for a spin-off doesn't mean the story isn't concluded appropriately.
Lunarose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant way of introducing it. Absolutely brilliant. Yeah, at this point, it IS too popular.

L would never be the bad guy! I can almost see Mello more of a bad guy than L-kun. (Kidnapping Kira's lil sis? This guy's EVIL.)

New intro for people who have never heard of the series! *Holds up pictures of Misa and Mello* True/False, are these two the same people only cross dressing?

And, of course, they'd always get that wrong. Laughing I wonder how much they spent in budget for the live action movie in just buying sweets, teas, and coffees for L...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Ichigooo wrote:
if we see there is no proper end in this anime...

That's a bit rich, isn't it? I mean, saying that Death Note doesn't have a proper ending is one thing. But then claiming that Naruto and Bleach (two Anime that refuse to end, and will probably still be going in two year's time) are better......

Death Note deserves to be far higher than Bleach or Naruto. For one thing, its production values were far higher:

Cross-eyed Ichigo:

Pretty Ichigo:

Is that Gaara?:

Kakashi with no hair:

The coup de grâce:

I would go on, but I don't enjoy mercilessly thrashing inferior Anime.*

I do love Bleach (still hate Naruto), but it just doesn't get close to an Anime (or a Manga) like Death Note.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
AHAHAHAHA agreed.

Bleach is by far the most over hyped shounen series I have ever seen and Naruto lost its charm a long time ago once it lost itself in the overly dramatic conflict of Sasuke.

[EDIT: Do NOT quote a post when it's full of pictures. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lunarose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
Whoa! A million things not noticed! Laughing That unexpectedly just made my day. I guess since Death Note really doesn't have any elaborate, flashy battle scenes, they can focus more on detail and production and stuff. And of course, the manga-ka for the series is really good.

[EDIT: Same goes for you. -TK]
CreisSema

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
i agree that the story line is grate. when i first started watching it it caught me soooo fast. it's stil at the top of my favourites.
chingaling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
If there was ever a good example of how an Anime adaptation could do it's manga justice, it was that montage killing scene in episode 1. Really good series.

Quote:
Death Note deserves to be far higher than Bleach or Naruto. For one thing, its production values were far higher:

Aw, bleach is good fun. Although I guess I do agree with you in saying Death Note's better, just cause it's so gripping. Naruto does up it's quality for fight scenes though, which I'd say is worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 57