• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I also watched the first episode and as one of the people who read the manga I am TRULLY impressed. Really, I didn't expect to see such a good episode in the beginning. (My friend called me in the middle of the night to tell me that she has the first episode so I had to find a taxi pretty quikly... at midnight...but I really wanted to see that episode Laughing )
Madhouse did a damn good job. It exceeded my expectations. The animation was exquisite, thus I particularly enjoyed the scene where Light writes the names of all those men and they show how they died. A really interesting manner to show his thoughts and an insight to his believes...I am very curious to see how they will continue to portray him as L must appear. Also... I enjoyed the openning. Very well made and it prefigures what will happen.
I particularly enjoyed the music. Gloomy, with a slight religious touch...yet very much in touch with what was happening in the anime. A really nice touch!
This first episode impressed me very much and I can't wait to see what they do next (or how they'll do it).
Anyways, this pisode really made my day.. well, actually, night but who cares?! Very Happy It definetly deserved a night without sleep.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who keeps playing 18:35 onwards over and over? I just can't get enough of that huge montage Very Happy.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I_AM_L wrote:
The opening theme was great, but Misa's hair was purple... Confused But it was blonde on the TV on the side of a building during the end theme.

This was done for effect; in the same vein, Light appears with red hair and eyes, and L with blue hair and eyes, but their coloring is normal in the actual series. Personally, I thought the opening theme wasn't anything spectactular, though I thought the "Creation of Adam" part was hilarious.

At first I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to take Light seriously since my school's anime club just watched Ouran, but I think Miyano did a good job. Especially with the giggling.
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty impressed with the first episode, and can't wait for the second. The animation was slick, the music was very fitting, and the scene with spoiler[Light writing in the notebook with criminals dying left and right] once again confirmed my faith in Madhouse. While I hope that the anime remains faithful to the manga, I'm in the camp of wanting a new end. Volume 7 contained one of the few moments in anime or manga that made me cry. Not to say that crying is bad...but this kind was.

On a less positive note, Light's eyes changing color was a bit silly, I wasn't a fan of the emphasis on apples, and I didn't think that the opening or ending songs were anything spectacular. But those are minor grievances.

Did anyone else find themselves liking Light more than they did in the manga because he was voiced by Mamoru Miyano? I never really liked Light while reading the manga; I found L much more appealing. However, I loved Tamaki so much that I can't help but like Light Confused
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I like Light in manga because i too feel this world is boring. I like Light's view on Life and this world better than L's view.

But the anime Light looks like evil and little crazy. i don't feel Light is evil or crazy on the manga until the end he just lost it.
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I like Light in manga because i too feel this world is boring.

Hey, I think the world can be a pretty boring place as well, but I don't think that's a legitimate reason to commit mass murder...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Hey, I think the world can be a pretty boring place as well, but I don't think that's a legitimate reason to commit mass murder...

well. that will depend on how do you look at things.

We, Human kill other creatures because we think we are smarter and stronger or whatever reason we have. Certainly, it’s ok for Shinigami to kill us. Since Death note gives Light power beyond Human and he thinks he is smarter than everybody, then would it be ok for him to kill?
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
Not really watching the show... but I thought I should post this anyway... but yes, I do want to see the show, but I'm gonna wait for the DVD:

Okay, I don't normally do this, but I went over to Youtube and took a peek at Death Note (which resulted in some major spoilers given that people don't know how to... not spoil things when they post). I only did so to give the production values a look over.

I have to say that I'm very pleased that Madhouse is still taking the approach of making their (top-tier) shows with much emphasis on competent color selection, rich and detailed chiaroscuro and exquisite line art, combined with lots of nice, fluid animation (heck, even the shading, in some cases, is independently animated from the character models in regards to multiple light-sources and stuff… it’s really impressive).

Also nice here is that the texture work on the books and stuff is very well-done (which is a surprise).

The character designs are very grounded in the whole “bishounen” thing, though, I’m actually surprise at the range the studio is capable of given that the designs aren’t as elongated as what Kawajiri has in his works; there’s an apparent “mid-ground” capability here, which I like very much.

Anyway, this is pretty much what I talk about when I say that this is the potential of digital painting that most studios seem to not tap into.

Okay... so, I was very fond of the one sequence with that guy in his room where he whips out the notebook, followed by the accurately disorienting camera shifts on the TV (when something big happened, you could tell given that the camera guy had to suddenly shift to the police squad, all members individually animated, that was gonna rush the place).

The director is a new face from what I hear, but he seems quite competent as the show has a lot of nice atmosphere to it (but then, Madhouse has most of the competent directors in their pocket, so this isn't surprising).

Okay... can't wait to see this in like... 2 years.

Anyway, even with the comments above, it is possible that the actual animation might get botched when the A team doesn't do it... I mean… this is fairly obvious.

I'm just saying that when it's in top-form, it's top-quality.

Though, I'm still wondering where Masao Maruyama goes to get the money and talent he needs to form these things... I mean, I remember Satoshi Kon saying that his work at Madhouse doesn't actually cost a lot of money, so I'm just left to assume that it's the talent that really brings it all together.

Yeah, I'm a total Madhouse enthusiast... sure wish they had a US site though like Production IG does (so I'd be able to follow things better).

That said, all my comments are subject to change if I ever see it again, or see more, or both.

You know me, the fickle one.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
Having practically no prior knowledge of the manga before watching this, I'd have to say I was pretty impressed by the first episode, seems like this can certainly live up to its hype. The main character seems a bit, um, insane, but I guess that's part of what made it so interesting. I'm definately going to be watching more of this. I wasn't expecting to like it this much...
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Just read the first chapter of the manga and then watched the first episode subtitled. I don't know how the English version of the manga holds up (I'm reading the Chinese version since it's cheaper and easily available here), but I thought the anime rocked and was very faithful to the manga. The few minor changes I noticed here and there I approve of.

I agree that the anime is much more dramatically presented than the manga, but I think that's for the best (different mediums after all). I also think that Light's personality didn't change in the transition from manga to anime - he's a villain with redeeming qualities in both versions. Christ figure? More like a Lucifer/Satan figure.

...no. Light is obviously a Christ figure. For starters, just look at the manga covers. The ones with Light all feature a cross. Then consider his character. He's a "flawless" human who has the powers of a god. He sacrifices himself to "save" humanity, and he is worshipped spoiler[after his death.] Could you get any more Christ-like?

Light's personality shifted dramatically, also. In the manga, he becomes as a relatively innocent teenager who is willing to do anything to save society. It's only after extended contact with the Note that he becomes corrupted, to the point where spoiler[he is reduced to a pitiful, insane fool by the end of the series.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ragg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
This anime really took my by suprise. A couple friends in my school were huddling around an Ipod Video watching the first ep so I figured I'd check it out.

Turns out this is a really great anime, with a kind of unique plot line.

Really what gets me about this anime is that I think it'd be kind of cool to have a Death Notebook.... Of course I'd use it in moderation Very Happy
RDespair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:19 am Reply with quote
I still think Light is much more of an anti-Christ figure than a Christ figure judging from the few chapters I've read in the manga. Minor spoilers for people who haven't watched the first anime episode/read the first volume of the manga - spoiler[ His "good intentions" seem to me to be a deception - what he's really interested in is becoming a god and molding the world in his own (this desire is explicitely stated in chapter/episode 1 of the manga/anime). His true desire is for glory and power; not for the salvation of humanity. Just look at his actions - he uses the power of the Death Note in such a way as to draw attention to himself (instead of trying to work behind the scenes like a true lover of humanity would most likely do) and when people try to stop him, he seeks to kill them.

It's quite possible that Light himself believes his own deception, but deception it remains. Christ sought to lift everyone up; to save the sinner and elevate them. Light seeks to destroy the sinner and by that destruction scare everyone else into coerced righteousness and worship. Yeah, I'm seeing some major differences here.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2......oh damn!!! Shocked

spoiler[Man, that whole scene of L outsmarting Light just to get him to show his "power" was just too awesome. Hmm, this puts up an interesting perspective of who's the good guy here, doesn't it?]

Though I have to say spoiler[that contraption Light made to "protect" the notebook was pretty damn crafty. ]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[Man, that whole scene of L outsmarting Light just to get him to show his "power" was just too awesome. Hmm, this puts up an interesting perspective of who's the good guy here, doesn't it?]

That's what I love about the series so much, both sides are the good guys for their own reasons. You want Light to win so he can create his perfect world, and you want L to win because... well... I don't know why you'd want him to win over Light now that I think about it. Either way, RDespair, I've said it before, but I'll say it one last time, I think you're looking at Light with a biased point of view if you see him that way.

18:33 to 19:36 is an extremely important section spoiler[as it explains his true rational as succinctly as possible. Don't write it off just because it's only a minute long, it covers an absolutely essential aspect of Light's personality. Yes, he wants to reign over his new world, but not for the sake of reigning, for the sake of those he wants to reign over; and he's willing to do it at the cost of his own soul (the fact that he even acknowledges that should tell you he's not doing it for power).]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who decides to kill hundreds of thousands of people, some of which aren't guilty of any crimes to society, so they can become a god and rule over every individual on earth with the power to judge people with their own selfish convictions and ambitions should be considered a villain, in my view. Don't tell me you've never heard of people who are considered villains for those exact reasons...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 57