• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but I certainly came away from the first episode of the anime feeling that Light has some issues.

I do not think he is a 'psycho killer' or anything, I believe that he thinks he is doing the right thing: but the whole spoiler[I can be god of the new world! I will re-make the world according to MY morals!] Is CERTAINLY not a mentally healthy individual's way of trying to make the world a better place. Many great evil dictators/genodicers of history basically said the same thing.

However, it's just the first episode, so it may be a little early to pass judgement on the fellow. (As a side note, I watched it with someone who HAS read all the manga, and she said that he wasn't portrayed significantly differantly from how he is in the books).
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
I do not think he is a 'psycho killer' or anything, I believe that he thinks he is doing the right thing: but the whole spoiler[I can be god of the new world! I will re-make the world according to MY morals!] Is CERTAINLY not a mentally healthy individual's way of trying to make the world a better place. Many great evil dictators/genodicers of history basically said the same thing.

Well, it sounded that way to me at first too, but then I started to wonder. Nearly every person who has ruled has thought they were doing the right thing, not just in their own opinion, but as the actual, objective right thing to do. Obviously, this is not true, they were simply doing what they believed to be right, generally irrespective of the public's opinion (though occasionally they gathered support for their actions, this was almost always after the fact support). Perhaps Light just realizes that there is no objective good or evil, and as such, is just admitting to the fact that he is just doing what sounds right to him, acknowledging the fact that others may not agree with him. Personally, I can't think of a better way to use the power than the way Light came up with.

Perhaps it's just the fanboy in me speaking (though I really don't think it is in this case), but he seems like the kind of person who would be doing this not for his own sake in the form of personal power, but for his own sake in his wishes to live in a truly better world where people don't do shitty things to each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
I loved the first episode, with one problem. Light has become too black and white. Just like with the film, they're focusing on him as an evil character. This is not the case. Light's morality is insanely complicated; painting him as a villain removes quite a bit of the series' depth.

In my eyes, Light is a hero. His methods are wicked, but he's essentially making Machiavellian decisions to accomplish what he thinks needs to be done. Light's a Christ figure...he's basically a "god in human form", or rather, he has gained the powers of a "god" of sorts. He chooses to use that power to benefit mankind, even if it means sacrificing his soul. That's essential to understanding Light's character. He's not a power-obsessed monster; he's an extremely intelligent individual who is disgusted with the state of the world and who is willing to sacrifice himself to fix it. I fear the anime may ignore that crucial element.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Going to make this quick..I hope

I just watched the first episode (never read the manga) and wow! I am already very intrigue by the entire show and it's plot, I know from plot summary that the story eventually add news characters which become the focus...but for now I am probably going to add this show to my things to watch this season...along with Black Lagoon. As for Light being too black and white....not sure about that completely since it was just one episode, hence things can always change. More importantly how much material did we cover in the manga with episode one? A few chapters? And assuming that this stays the same tempo for the series are we ever going to run into filler?

Delta
Exaar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The one thing that makes me question Light's objectivity is when he says spoiler[After all the criminals are gone from Heart Attacks he's going to start killing off the people he thinks are immoral or just harass others, so that "only the people /I/ judge to be good will remain."] It's clear that he's not trying to make the world a better place from an objective standpoint, he's trying to make the world a better place from HIS standpoint, which others may or may not share.

Does someone who, say, steals a kids lunch money deserve to die for it? I wouldn't think so.
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
The one thing that makes me question Light's objectivity is when he says spoiler[After all the criminals are gone from Heart Attacks he's going to start killing off the people he thinks are immoral or just harass others, so that "only the people /I/ judge to be good will remain."] It's clear that he's not trying to make the world a better place from an objective standpoint, he's trying to make the world a better place from HIS standpoint, which others may or may not share.

Does someone who, say, steals a kids lunch money deserve to die for it? I wouldn't think so.

After seeing the first episode I am left in awe...it was very interesting and was much better than I was expecting, I think I see why people were making such a big deal about it. After seeing the first episode my thoughts on Light are this: He seemed like he was doing the hero thing, stopping a rape and killing murders and what not but then he actually considered killing a school bully. Shocked I'm afraid to think how far he will go, though I think his personality is ideal for this anime. Even if Light steps over to the dark side (ahh the irony), from the looks of things Ryuku dosen't plan on stoping him. So is Light a good guy , some would say yes, but I will reserve my judgement.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:

And neither does Light, he just hasn't said it yet... but it's hardly a spoiler. spoiler[It's been a while, but I thought he comes to regret the fact that he killed Shibataku when someone brings him up in a conversation about Kira, as Light knew his crime was probably not worth killing him for it (looking back on it). Also, for the record, in the manga, they never showed the bikers taking off her clothes or anything, they only showed them harrassing her. Perhaps the animators decided to put that in to help the audience feel that perhaps it wasn't such a big mistake after all?][/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cirbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion this anime so far seems to be VERY well done. I'm just excited for the next episode as I was when reading the manga.

Also to people like Exaar: I don't think this is a spoiler, it's just about the author of the manga. One thing I liked about the manga was how it remained impartial about whether criminals deserve death. I personally remain against the death penalty in general, yet I loved the manga.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I got to watch the first ep. before going to work today and found it highly entertaining. This is the one anime where I've actually read the manga first, and I'm pleased with the adaptation thus far.

Artwork and animation are Excellent at the very least. Ever since hearing they had an anime in the works, I thought right away that Madhouse should be the leading candidate for its production. And sure enough, they've lived up to their reputation of having consistently high art and animation standards.

I especially love the dark colors and lighting. For such an obviously "dark" title, a lot of those aspects fit very well and bring out the exact kind of atmosphere I was expecting. Heck, I'd say it even exceeded them.

The music has a great creepiness to it as well. The first thing I heard was that Gregorian chant piece, which seems to be the popular trend in trying to mystify stuff nowadays, I suppose. The quality of the music carries a certain aura to it as well. I was hoping it wouldn't sound too synthetic and I like what I've heard from this first episode.

Voice acting is Excellent. Light's seiyuu is dead on in his inflection that I've always been trying to create in my head when reading his dialogue. He has a particular stoicism and cockiness in his voice that I've tried equating to Mark Hildreth. Though I must say he sounds just a tad more demented to me than what I orginally felt (maybe because my voice acting sucks Razz). But I really like his portrayal here.

Ryuuk, while not outsandingly creepy, also does a pretty good job. I say this because I suppose that's just how his personality feels to me; indifferent. He's not really good or bad, he's just there. But in terms of inflection, he sounds creepy enough and I think it's a good fit, given his appearance.

Overall, I'd give this adapation an A. It's no A+ until I finish the entire series of course (both manga and anime), but I really can't see any faults and will probably prefer this over the manga at some point since I'm more of an anime guy.

I'm just curious to hear what L is going to sound like. Kappei Yamaguchi wasn't exactly my first choice when trying to make up a voice (I actually picked Brian Drummond for English), but he's been a pretty consistent seiyuu through his career, and I'm sure he'll sound great.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Well based on the first episode alone, I can see why this show has so much hype. It was a very interesting first episode, and Light has the potential to be one of my favourite anime characters if the show stays strong.

I just have one question though. spoiler[Is there any reason why Light's eyes keep changing colour?] Keep in mind I've not read the manga, so if the answer to that question spoils part of the story I'd rather not know. Thanks.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
mjgeo wrote:
Is there any reason why Light's eyes keep changing colour?

No, and it's not a spoiler just so you know Laughing That's one of the big problems I have (of course, I still think it's in the range of excellent to masterpiece, but hey, it's still a 'big problem' in my mind), I hope they stop making Light's eyes red at opportune times just to make him look more evil. Or are you saying they were changing to other colors too? If so I missed that both times I watched it, but that would hardly be the first time I've missed something Rolling Eyes
mjgeo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
Nah I just meant they kepy going between the two colours. I thought maybe they were hinting at a split personality we would see later on in the series. Like in Bleachspoiler[With the mask appearing on Ichigo.]

Being something as inane as making him look more evil is a problem to me too. Well, more annoyance than anything else.
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
I still think that his characteristic is best described for this specific anime. Not everyone with the right mind would pull such excessive actions while with the same knowledge that he would loose his soul. Besides we're talking about human beings, whether they are evil or not, the fact is you're killing people, even though it is for the great of good. I believe that person would have to be really inconsiderate or basically just like they portrayed Light in the first episode. From my point of view, I'd say the anime is trying to be more realistic relatively with the consideration of Light behavior than what a normal and such descriptively kind person would do.
Last_September

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Having read the manga, I was wondering how Death Note would be animated considering how thought-driven it is. All I can say for the first episode is so far, so good. The addition of music and voices really add to the story. It seems darker and Ryuk seems more 'evil' than he's portrayed in the manga. If the anime can make the 2nd half of the first major arc entertaining that I might have to give this anime an A.
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Just read the first chapter of the manga and then watched the first episode subtitled. I don't know how the English version of the manga holds up (I'm reading the Chinese version since it's cheaper and easily available here), but I thought the anime rocked and was very faithful to the manga. The few minor changes I noticed here and there I approve of.

I agree that the anime is much more dramatically presented than the manga, but I think that's for the best (different mediums after all). I also think that Light's personality didn't change in the transition from manga to anime - he's a villain with redeeming qualities in both versions. Christ figure? More like a Lucifer/Satan figure.

Tony K. pretty much summed up my thoughts although I liked Ryuk's Voice Actor more than he did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 57