• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just finished Ergo Proxy.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rojjin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I have just finished watching Ergo Proxy and just want to run my take on it past you guys to see if I got the plot or am I completely lost. Heres what I have come up with:

spoiler[Human kind has some how destroyed the world. From what I can tell probably a nuclear war. Part of the human race was able to build a ship and escaped into space. The rest of the population either died or barley survived. God ( The Creator ) created the Proxies to help man kind survive until the earth repaired itself. The Proxies created the domed cities and gave technology and the means to survive to humans. When the earth had recovered enough to support human life again the Proxies would disappear.]

spoiler[I don't quite understand why Ergo wanted to forget or weather that was him on top of the tower in the end or another Proxy.]

Feel free to add any insight you might have on this anime. Over all though I thought the animation and plot were excellent. It never got boring for me and the spoiler[game show] episode was great.

Rojjin
Facade19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
Just to throw my 2 cents in.

I watched Ergo Proxy before I heard of Texhnolyze.
I absolutely love Ergo Proxy, and cannot wait till a complete DVD will be released eventually.
I heard many great things of Texhnolyze, and finally received my complete collection box set today.
Watched the first three episodes, and I can honestly say that Texhnolyze is in a different league compared to Ergo Proxy (I actually already favor Texhnolyze over Ergo Proxy for a couple of reasons, which I shall discuss later, when the time is right).
Now I will certainly not add anything new regarding the interpretations around here about Ergo Proxy, so I will just leave it at that Ergo Proxy is one heck of a mind ride.
I am just very thankful that anime like Ergo Proxy, Lain, and Texhnolyze exist.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
I don't buy the whole self-discovery/choice of reality/lessons about life themes because I really didn't interpret the anime, especially the last episode, in that way.

Pino's growth reminded me of the age-old retelling of Pinochio. Re-l came to to her truth... Argh, screw it, I'm feeling lazy, so I'm just going to link to this entry.

Quote:
spoiler[I saw it as a kind of information-episode given in a comical way in order to avoid a 20 minute episode monologue (cough Evangelion cough) of information in the most dull manner possible.]

You mean like what we had in episode eleven? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
spoiler[I loved the character of Pino, something that makes Ergo Proxy so much more unique and enjoyable compared to a similar "dark-type" anime such as Texhnolyze.]

I can see how you'd more "enjoyable" though I don't share the same sentiments, but "unique"? Texhnolyze thrives on the fact that it rejects just about all of the standard conventions in anime and is largle distinctive even when comparing it to other cybperpunk works despite be the most prime definition of it in anime. While I greatly enjoyed Pino's character, that Ergo Proxy had to rely on a (arguably somewhat gimmicky) mascot doesn't make it more unique than Texhnolyze, especially when the latter's atmosphere would've been ruined had it gone with that.

Quote:
The time kind of got late and I'm too tired to go on. One last thing I wanted to mention is that unlike other psychological anime, Ergo Proxy was easy to follow and not that difficult to understand. It wasn't as complex like Ghost in the Shell that I needed to watch the series again to understand the complex plot. It was a great anime that I haven't seen in a while since I moved on to J-drama.

Bwuh? Ghost in the Shell has a fairly straightforward approach to its plot, as does Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex. I, among others, were initially left with a "Huh? What the hell just happened?" when the final Ergo Proxy episode was shown. I've never, ever felt that way when getting into the Ghost in the Shell franchise.

Nice revisited analysis on the ending, by the way.

Facade19 wrote:
Watched the first three episodes, and I can honestly say that Texhnolyze is in a different league compared to Ergo Proxy (I actually already favor Texhnolyze over Ergo Proxy for a couple of reasons, which I shall discuss later, when the time is right).

Very Happy

Good on ya. As I've said before, Texhnolyze is my favorite anime and one of my top three favorite stories out of any medium of fiction, and I gurantee that you have much to look forward to if you've already taken to the series that greatly right off the bat.

I recommend that you create a new thread when you want to compare the two. I really enjoy looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first volume of Ergo Proxy, and all I have to say is "Meh?" The slow pacing and less than stellar animation quality (with its washed-out colors and lack of detail) made me give up on this series. Although the GitS series also has a lot of fat in terms of storytelling, it is at least beautifully animated and more worthy of watching for that reason alone.
Facade19

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:30 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
I watched the first volume of Ergo Proxy, and all I have to say is "Meh?" The slow pacing and less than stellar animation quality (with its washed-out colors and lack of detail) made me give up on this series. Although the GitS series also has a lot of fat in terms of storytelling, it is at least beautifully animated and more worthy of watching for that reason alone.

I suggest you stick with it for at least a few more episodes.
The story is quite esoteric, so judging (if that is what you have done here) based on the first few episodes is possible a bad move here IMO.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
vroenis wrote:
I seem to remember the first episode of Ergo Proxy going to great lengths to describe the premise and setting.

No, it doesn't. It starts off with a bunch of different scenes, where at first it's not clear how they're connected. (Mind you, I watch with subtitles; the dubbing might fill in more?)

I'm two DVDs into the series and will rent the third one shortly. There are definitely some similarities with the 'Ghost in the Shell' TV series, particularly in terms of social commentary and in dealing with issues related to artificial intelligence.
Shinkusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:

I bought the first dvd a few months back. I said the same thing you said "meh". I was going to give up on this series but since everyone in this tread is saying good things about it i might just pick up the second volume.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy when it first came out totally blew me away with the colour, animation and the overall atmosphere that really drags you into the story. Both my Father and my Brother are not avid Anime fans, but once they saw this on a 47" LCD TV with 5.1 surround, they became instant fans of the first 3 DVD's that I currently own.
They were a bit confused, but spoiler[once they explained that they live in a make-shift Utopia that is also occupied by Cyborgs/Robots, they were asking me, "When is the next DVD out?! I want the complete series!"
Oh, and it was quite funny how my brother thinks that Re-l Mayer is hot, and my dad thinks that Pino the Autoreiv is too adorable to be a Robot.]

Now I haven't seen the whole series just yet, but Vincent Law is still a major, mystery to me. spoiler[I'm aware that he's the Ergo Proxy of Death, but why does he have so many emotions when it comes to Re-l Mayer?] Hope no one answers my questions, because with my next pay check, I'm gonna pick up another DVD.
riprock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote
This show reminded me a lot of Witch Hunter Robin (strong female lead character and gritty art design) and Cowboy Bebop (rare ability to combine silliness and cuteness with total grim seriousness), apparently because they share creative talent.

The only things that really seemed unexplained were

spoiler[the exact relationship between ReAl and Monad, and Vincent and One.

Apparently ReAl is a clone of Monad, and Vincent is a clone of One.

But apparently Monad and One melt in sunlight, whereas ReAl and Vincent don't.

Also, it makes total sense that Proxies have to fight when they meet (for the most part). Humans designed them that way because if they weren't busy building, they were a risk to be eliminated, so they ought to self-destruct.

How, exactly did some of them fall in love? Maybe boy-Proxies and girl-Proxies were allowed to fall in love instead of fighting, or maybe the love overcame the fighting instinct.

I'm also not entirely clear on Swan. Was she telepathically beaming that dream into Vincent's head? Possibly Will B. Good and Swan were telepathic Proxies, whereas One is a butt-kicking Proxy.]
ctdash

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
I maybe late on this but I just couldn't help noticing the misinterpretations of you guys who finished the show. This is how it went down:

spoiler[Ergo Proxy Ep. 23:

Vincent Law has a three way battle with Ergo Proxy, and Proxy One. I say this because even though Vincent Law IS Ergo Proxy, which he is aware of, he has been rejecting him for almost the entire series. Ergo Proxy is Vincent Law, Proxy One is Ergo Proxy, and Ergo Proxy is Proxy One but Vincent Law isn't Proxy One.

Ergo Proxy is the clone of Proxy One, Vincent Law is just an extra personality created by Proxy One for his master plan.

Even though Vincent Law/Ergo Proxy fight and injure Proxy One they have come into an agreement/understanding. It seems as if the vengeful Proxy One has convinced Vincent Law/Ergo Proxy to exact his revenge against The Creators.

(The Creators which I use in plural are the COWARDLY humans that created the Proxies to rebuild and regenerate the Earth while they fled on massive space ships to wait out. They are the ones behind the Proxy Project therefore they are the Creators NOT God, the Creators are presented as God in symbolism, and the Proxies the HAND of God.)

Something Monad II (The Real clone turned blond and with wings) was scared of, was that Ergo Proxy would accomplish Proxy One's vengeance against the Creators and she wanted Ergo Proxy to forget the whole thing, but Ergo Proxy refuses to flee with her since he has already done that before
(I.E. Erasing his memories)]

spoiler[Now he decides to face reality like a man, something Proxy One planned ALL THE WAY to the beginning of the series.

Vincent Law/Ergo Proxy in the final episode watch the approaching ships of The Creators, and Vincent/Ergo says something like the humans that ran away are returning after the world is shown to heal itself, now the real battle starts because this a world that he will face only with Real, Pino, and the Others

(I am assuming the "others" are humans that survived on the chaotic planet.)

Then he signs out with "For I am Ergo Proxy, Emissary of Death." It is obvious that Vincent/Ergo is going to take on the returning humans and kill them all, Proxy One's mission.

That would make an awesome extra 23 episode or OVA continuation of the series. Oh I hope it happens. But yeah I had to Re watch a lot of episodes in the series to understand it. Thank God it didn't end like Gantz, or Neon Genesis even though it ended with an ambiguous ending on Vincent's part (Villain or Hero?) but the end was a satisfying one.

Regardless...Ergo Proxy is AWESOME...]
[/spoiler]
p3rseus

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
I liked it a lot, definately one of the best I've seen in a while, although some episodes seemed out of place. They try to throw some comedy relief from time to time that doesn't fit too well. They were few though. Also I thought the action could have been extended, fights were not as abundant as they could have been but at least it didn't get repetitive either. Overall, I agree, it was a great anime and I hope you're right and they follow it up.
lazybastard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
In some ways I can't help but see this show as a giant spoof of the supposed "deep" and "philosophical" shows, much in the same way that Samurai Champloo turned the Samurai genre on its head.

Descartes started out with "Cogito ergo sum, - I think, therefore I am" and from there, eventually reasoned his way to the conclusion that there is a benevolent god somewhere. Ergo Proxy started out along similar lines of "I think, therefore I am", but somehow ended up with humans as the malevolent creator. Along the way going through wacky game shows and amusement parks along the way. The oddball sense of humor from SamChamp definitely shows through with Ergo Proxy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3