• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranking of Kings (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Ranking of Kings (TV)
Season 02 (Sidestory): Ranking of Kings: The Treasure Chest of Courage (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 15 volumes, by Sōsuke Tōka)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Wit Studio

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, psychological

Themes: aristocracy, betrayal, coming-of-age, conspiracy, dark fantasy, disability, magical creatures, monsters, non-linear narrative, power struggle, segments, swordplay, tragedy

Plot Summary: Bojji is a deaf, powerless prince who cannot even wield a children's sword. As the firstborn son, he strives hard and dreams of becoming the world's greatest king. However, people mutter about him behind his back as "a good-for-nothing prince" and "no way he can be king." Bojji is able to make his first ever friend, "Kage"—a literal shadow on the ground who somehow understands Bojji well.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: October 14, 2021
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 02: Apr. 13, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 23 episodes
Season 02: 10 episodes

Total: 33 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

I am pretty sure that there is another episode to go, but it doesn't really feel like it telegraphs that.

Also, a fairly young boy literally saying he will marry an adult woman much older than him, and I think being taken seriously, kind of looks icky to me.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:16 am Reply with quote
22:

I'm just happy that the episode finally tied the loose ends in Miranjo's story. The show has been narrating it in a fragmented way the whole time, so it's the kind of closure I needed.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Also, a fairly young boy literally saying he will marry an adult woman much older than him, and I think being taken seriously, kind of looks icky to me.

I'm ambivalent. On one hand, I thought it was sweet and poetic, especially when Miranjo was saved and redeemed by both Bosse's sons (Bojji for freeing her from the mirror, Daida in an emotional way). On the other hand, the age difference did feel a little off.

On the third hand (if I have one), Hiling's reaction was hilarious. I knew what was going to happen: Hiling finally learns who tried to killed her, and her son wants to marry her. Naturally, Hiling blew up. You can see all that from a mile away, but it's still hilarious to watch. She's actually one of my favorite characters in this show.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Final:

It ended the way I wanted it to be. I knew that Kage wouldn't want to stick around with Bojji once he becomes king, and I knew that Bojji wouldn't want to be a king. Bojji and Kage going on an adventure is exactly how this show should end.

Ousama Ranking flew under my radar for quite a while before my friend urged me to watch it. And boy, did I miss a big one. I actually dismissed the show because it looked like a kid's show, but I was fooled; it's very much an adult show dressed like a kids' show. What makes this show outstanding is the characters and their motives and background stories. Every character has a story to tell, and you have to give every character the benefit of doubt that they have reasons to do what they do. So I will say one thing: this show has the biggest heart I've seen in a very long time.

I'm glad to give this show a 9/10. At first, I thought the show would be more like The Twelve Kingdoms where parables are drawn from kingdoms and their varying states, and how their welfare is determined by how their respective kings rule them. But maybe we will see that in future seasons, so yes, I do think there will be a second season in the works.

Wit Studio has a scored a huge win with this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I was never a really big fan of the show, I think it is that it played upon this sense of nostalgia for a series that is not actually nostalgic, because evidently it is new. Something about it always gave me this sense of manipulation that it is pretty clearly using elements to control a feeling of the audience, and just a bit too blatantly for my liking, while not quite successful to me.

I didn't really dislike everything, I think it did some things well, but other parts just brought me out of it. Such that, how could you not like the small disabled boy, who is very kind, but also ostracised by people? And his shadow friend who isn't actually bad, and interesting to watch. It just ultimately felt very manipulative to me, and it kind of culminated with the character Miranjo, where we were meant to feel sympathy for her because she went through things and others sympathised for her. It was like we were meant to see her as actually a very complex character because she did some bad things, but she was actually nice, but in the end I really didn't feel any sympathy for her. Nor the immortal guy. Maybe it was just me that I didn't really care for the excuse of enjoying doing awful things, because they secretly had a good side.

My rating is Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time, but something about it just bugged me all the same.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I really like the imagination of this show. It certainly wasn't generic like, "wow, I've seen this a thousand times before." I also tend to be biased to shows where there are really no "villains" per se... people we think are bad become more nuanced when we find out more about them. Having said all that, my interest did wane as the show went on. It seemed to become a bit more about the fighting than other things and that rarely engages me. Still, I gave it a rating of Good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1