• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Lagoon (TV + OAV)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:08 am Reply with quote
Blood-:

Sadly, I am not a fan of slice of life dramas, though I did like Clannad, Chihayafuru, etc, and some works like that are outstanding, e.g. Romeo and the Black Brothers (it is based on real literature, which is basically neoclassical by now, not on sloppy scribbles of overworked scenarists or abused mangagkas under dictate of their editors).

I like fantasy genre the most, which is not real per se. For example, Hunter X Hunter and Naruto projects show authors developing deeply thought out settings with intricate pseudo-scientific magic explanation systems, smart tactics in fight scenes, multilayered stories. Death Note, Code Geass, One Piece also did not make me facepalming the whole time.

Even though none of the shows I mentioned are logically perfect in every aspect, the degree of logical consistency they provide within the rules of the corresponding worlds that their authors have created is way higher than some other cases like this one.

yuna49:

Indeed, some of these discussions do provide viewers with subjects to think about. This is this show's strong point and one of the reasons why people rate this show highly besides ones I mentioned in the original post. (I did not count it there, since most of the time it was unrealistic for such thought-provoking discussions to occur in the situations shown.)

Update on the series: another terminator character, spoiler[the CIA nun] is a fun character, and the main lad is pretty adorable.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Code Geass also did not make me facepalming the whole time.

Heh.

https://youtu.be/764FN24EraA
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
@MaxSouth - thank you for going into more detail on your viewpoint. It certainly gives me more context to see where you are coming from. I think we are talking about two different issues that are somewhat related. First, there is the issue when a show depicts physically impossible things and provides no explanation for them. For example, Black Lagoon has one of my least favourite action tropes: a katana cutting a bullet in half that has been shot out of a gun. Black Lagoon breaks the "physically impossible" concept all the time. As a viewer your only choice is to understand that that sort of cartoony, over the top action is part of the show's DNA and either go with it or be repulsed.

The other issue is if a show breaks its own internal rules which always drives me nuts. One of the most flagrant examples I can think of comes from the first season of Tiger and Bunny. The show establishes quite clearly that after spoiler[a certain amount of effort, a hero's suit is "frozen" for five seconds while it recharges. Yet there is a point where that five second rule is simply ignored without explanation.] ARRRGGHHH!!!

It's been a while since I've seen Black Lagoon so I honestly can't remember if it breaks any of its own internal logic or not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing

The stress point in the quoted part was on the "whole" time. I trashed the show on this site profusely for its idiocies (and its mantis-like character designs).

Blood-

Quote:
As a viewer your only choice is to understand that that sort of cartoony, over the top action is part of the show's DNA and either go with it or be repulsed.

If the show does not take itself seriously, as in the parts where terminator spoiler[ladies (maid or nun)] are present, the nonsense becomes a pure fun. In the parts where it is trying to seriously present itself, it becomes bad.

Thanks for reminding me about Tiger and Bunny. I do not remember specifics, but I also critiqued on this site the show for not making sense in some key points. But it was good enough for me to see its continuation, but it turns out I did not see anything from it besides the first season, even though there were films and spin off anime and even a new season is coming this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 27 of 27