• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ouran High School Host Club!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you have to worry; from how the show has progressed up to this point, I'm not seeing Haruhi hooking up with anybody in the last episode. If anything, I'm thinking we'll find out what Eclair's up to, maybe something about Tamaki's mother, and that Haruhi's finally come to appreciate being in the Host Club. There'll probably be some semi-romantic moments (enough to fire up the fangirls' imaginations), but no real commitment one way or the other.

That being said, my inner fangirl is still clamoring wildly for some ridiculously sweet Tamaki/Haruhi moments (Hmm, maybe I should call them "Haru-maki?" Doesn't that mean spring roll? Laughing ). I doubt that's going to happen though. **sigh**
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
Gyaaahh I just watched ep 25 as well, and man.. I am dying to see what happens. No spoilers, but just out of curiosity, how close to the manga is Ouran? And also, is the manga over or still going? I don't know anything about the manga, so I am just wondering, and mentally preparing for a "the manga is still going" fakey type ending, which always disappoint me immensely.

I too would like to see Haruhi and Tamaki.. not necessarily together, but finally both realizing their feelings for eachother. I think Haruhi is my favorite shojo heroine of all time- very different, overly practical, and her biggest flaw is her emotional cluelessness. (Plus it does help that I'm a big Maaya Sakamoto fan.. ^^) Ah man.. what a great show. Since this build up is so big, I suspect that there won't be anymore anime after episode 26, so I will miss it greatly if that's the case. (I hope I'm wrong about that though..)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frouella

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Gyaaahh I just watched ep 25 as well, and man.. I am dying to see what happens. No spoilers, but just out of curiosity, how close to the manga is Ouran? And also, is the manga over or still going? I don't know anything about the manga, so I am just wondering, and mentally preparing for a "the manga is still going" fakey type ending, which always disappoint me immensely.

I haven't read all of it, but I've read about 4 volumes. Those seemed to stick to the story pretty faithfully, but from what I've heard, the story does change a little bit as the anime progresses. Some storylines are combined, some minor characters omitted, that kind of thing, and the anime writers had to come up with an ending since the manga is still ongoing.

BUT, I have to tell you, I just watched the raw for the last episode, and I really don't think you'll be disappointed! I won't give away any spoilers, but I think the anime writers did an excellent job with ending the series while staying true to the spirit of the manga. All I'm going to say is that if you liked Haruhi as a character before, you're going to be cheering for her even more after you see this episode! It's f-ing awesome! It'll make you laugh, then cry, and then both together! Just...wow! Laughing Crying or Very sad <-- Yep, that was me x10...

Sorry -- I'm still a little worked up about it; I apologize for my sad lack of decorum. But seriously, check it out -- I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and remember, "Say nice things about Detroit!"
cerulean88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
BUT, I have to tell you, I just watched the raw for the last episode, and I really don't think you'll be disappointed! I won't give away any spoilers, but I think the anime writers did an excellent job with ending the series while staying true to the spirit of the manga.

yeah!! the ending was awesome, i was expecting it to be rather disappointing actually because spoiler[Tamaki suddenly like told everyone that he was engaged to eclair girl and that the host club will be disbanded], but that was truly awesome, the writers sure did an excellent job ending it like that Anime smallmouth
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
Just saw the ending myself. Anime smile I kept getting teary-eyed through the whole thing, but the conversation between Tamaki's and Kyouya's fathers at the very end is what set me off. (What can I say? I have a soft spot for Kyouya.)

I also like how it's hinted that spoiler[Tamaki and Haruhi have realized their feelings for each other], but they didn't outright say/show it and kept the main focus on the group as a whole. Now, if they do a second season or an OAV or something, I wouldn't mind seeing this expanded on. (Particularly if anything were to come of the conversation I mentioned before. Wink )

Finally... did anyone else absolutely love Hunny and Mori in the episode? Anime hyper
Borgir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I wont say the same as above, just the right song in the right moment, ftw man.
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I do have one question about the last couple episodes: What was the deal with Eclair's opera glasses? I know they must have some significance, but I still haven't been able to figure them out. spoiler[She wears them when she's looking at people (Tamaki especially), but is that supposed to symbolize how she wants to "see" everything about him? I'm thinking they are associated with Tamaki at least a little bit, otherwise she wouldn't have left them on the bridge when Tamaki left. But then why was she using them in the shower? ]

I'm interested to see what everybody else thought about this.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
I do have one question about the last couple episodes: What was the deal with Eclair's opera glasses? I know they must have some significance, but I still haven't been able to figure them out. spoiler[She wears them when she's looking at people (Tamaki especially), but is that supposed to symbolize how she wants to "see" everything about him? I'm thinking they are associated with Tamaki at least a little bit, otherwise she wouldn't have left them on the bridge when Tamaki left. But then why was she using them in the shower? ]

I'm interested to see what everybody else thought about this.

That is something my husband and I found very intriguing, and spent quite awhile discussing. My own take is that spoiler[she uses the opera glasses because she's forced to view everything, particularly Tamaki from afar. She has no closeness to people (how can you develop closeness when you know you're destined to be a pawn in your parents' business games). Everything she knew about Tamaki, she'd been told by his mother. She's begun to admire him from afar, and so, the glasses symbolize this, perhaps. And also perhaps her forcing herself to keep from getting too close as well. Closeness can be very painful, as we see when the tears form in her eyes as he leaves the car to be with Haruhi, and she mentions that he smiled, even for her. She saw him close up at that moment, no glasses involved. Very emphatic in my mind.] Anyway, that was just my take (which evolved slightly even as I was writing it), but I am very curious to see how others took it. I just loved the symbolism used throughout the show. Then again, I'm an Utena fan. I sort of have to love symbolism.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
Jadress wrote:

I haven't read all of it, but I've read about 4 volumes. Those seemed to stick to the story pretty faithfully, but from what I've heard, the story does change a little bit as the anime progresses. Some storylines are combined, some minor characters omitted, that kind of thing, and the anime writers had to come up with an ending since the manga is still ongoing.

The early episodes are pretty close to the manga with the main difference being that Renge shows up a lot more in the anime, whereas she only has one or two cameos after her chapter in the manga. Some events that took two chapters in the manga were compressed into a single episode in the anime, namely the Beach episode, the episode about Hunny's brother, and the episode introducing Haruhi's father. The order of events was shuffled a bit also. Most of the stuff from episodes 17-23 (everything but the Holloween episode) takes place after the Ouran Festival in the manga, and there were a few other episodes that were moved to other places.

Most episodes were fairly similar to the manga counterpart even if things didn't play out quite the same way. In some cases, the episode ended a bit differently, such as the second Lobelia academy episode. About half of the episodes where practically identical to the manga with the main difference being some gag changes.

In a few cases, the only similarity was the basic theme of the episode, such as Haruhi in Wonderland, the Holloween episode, and the Ouran Festival. Eclair didn't even exist in the manga and the festival just reveals Tamaki's family situation and a little bit about Kyouya's and resolves absolutely nothing regarding them.

I don't remember any characters being obmitted, except for the principal who only appeared in a chapter that didn't get an episode at all. However, some episodes, namely the Holloween episode, added characters that didn't appear in the manga.
frouella

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
That is something my husband and I found very intriguing, and spent quite awhile discussing. My own take is that spoiler[she uses the opera glasses because she's forced to view everything, particularly Tamaki from afar. She has no closeness to people (how can you develop closeness when you know you're destined to be a pawn in your parents' business games). Everything she knew about Tamaki, she'd been told by his mother. She's begun to admire him from afar, and so, the glasses symbolize this, perhaps. And also perhaps her forcing herself to keep from getting too close as well. Closeness can be very painful, as we see when the tears form in her eyes as he leaves the car to be with Haruhi, and she mentions that he smiled, even for her. She saw him close up at that moment, no glasses involved. Very emphatic in my mind.] Anyway, that was just my take (which evolved slightly even as I was writing it), but I am very curious to see how others took it. I just loved the symbolism used throughout the show. Then again, I'm an Utena fan. I sort of have to love symbolism.

That's true; I hadn't thought of it that way. After reading your explanation, though, it made me think of something totally opposite (of course!) -- that maybe she was using the glasses to spoiler[create an artificial closeness, in the same way that the glasses helped her get closer to him visually. People use opera glasses to see the action on stage better, so they feel more connected to the performers; maybe she was using the glasses to force that kind of connection (since I think she did genuinely have feelings for him). But at the same time, the glasses are an obstruction, so maybe that symbolized the rift between them. Plus,the image only appears to be closer, while the object itself doesn't move.]

Gah, I dunno -- it's possible to read into this in so many different ways. I do think you're right about the unfiltered close-up moment with Tamaki though; it must've been especially hard spoiler[since she knew he was leaving her.] It's almost enough to make me pity poor Eclair. Almost. My inner-Tamaki/Haruhi-fangirl still has some pretty strident objections about that. Razz
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
That's true; I hadn't thought of it that way. After reading your explanation, though, it made me think of something totally opposite (of course!) -- that maybe she was using the glasses to spoiler[create an artificial closeness, in the same way that the glasses helped her get closer to him visually. People use opera glasses to see the action on stage better, so they feel more connected to the performers; maybe she was using the glasses to force that kind of connection (since I think she did genuinely have feelings for him). But at the same time, the glasses are an obstruction, so maybe that symbolized the rift between them. Plus,the image only appears to be closer, while the object itself doesn't move.]

Nice idea. Or one could take that idea of spoiler[artificial closeness, and turn it on its head as well. Perhaps it's not that she sees things from afar, or is trying to bring herself closeness, but rather intentionally keeping herself distant? Not only by using the glasses so she feels like an observer rather than a participant (an internal/subconscious defense against her pawn status?), but also to keep others from truly seeing her. They see the glasses, not her eyes. Not who she really is.] Just another thought there.

Frouella wrote:
Gah, I dunno -- it's possible to read into this in so many different ways.

Oh definitely. Which is of course the fun part. It's nice that it has so much comedy and fluff, but still has little bits for people to pick out and really examine for a greater purpose. Sure, there might not actually be a greater purpose (maybe someone just thought opera glasses were cool, who knows), but it's still fun to discuss.
KittiCat1031

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the series. Ouran is the best anime ever. spoiler[YAY Anime hyper for Tamaki and Haruhi!!!] I loved it from start to finish. I hope that they make a second season.
frouella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quick question: In the OHSHC encyclopedia entry, it lists Yoji Enokido for "Series Composition." Does that mean he oversaw the whole anime storyline, or did he write the scripts, or what? I saw that he wrote a few other scripts (RaXephon, FLCL -- that had a script??? Shocked Laughing ), but I really want to know if he came up with the Ouran anime adaptation/scripts. If so, he's a genius and I must find him and lavish him with praise and moderately priced gifts! Sorry, I'm poor...

I just watched the last few episodes again, and I get more and more impressed every time I watch it. The structure is so well-planned, all the plot elements come full circle, and then the last episode just finishes everything off with a tidy, red bow. The only minor complaint that I might have concerns the physics of one particular scene, and I'm willing to overlook that in favor of the total effect.

I'm trying to give it time to settle in my brain before I make any sweeping statements, but I do have to say that right now it's one of my favorite endings, as well as the newest entry in my Top Ten! (Uh, sorry, Kenshin -- but we'll always have Kyoto!)

Sorry, I seem to be the only one talking this much, so I'll shut up now...
echoblues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow @ frouella & Mylene those are some seriously deep interpretation. Anyways, I like frouella interpretation best of the opera glasses. It seems to fit rather well with the story. Nevertheless, I also think that perhaps the opera glasses and Eclair herself represent an external entity to the Host club or even the whole show@ anime! I comes to my mind that perhaps Eclair IS a viewer and her glasses is a sort of medium for her to actually participate in the activities of Ouran!

For example, Eclair = Us (those who watch the anime) while her opera glasses= the tv screen etc (any medium that allow us to 'see' and 'participate' in the show). It might not be true but I come to realise the real extent of Haruhi's relation with Tamaki through Eclair's and her opera glasses. Some said that Haruhi might not return some of the feelings that her mates have towards her however, I disagree on this because through Eclair's opera glasses, I become aware that Haruhi tends to spend most of her 'time' with Tamaki. And Eclair herself knows of Haruhi's feeling towards Tamaki. It might not be stated directly in the show that Haruhi has any romantic affection towards Tamaki, but it is suggested subtly in the show. Haruhi seems to notice all the small things about Tamaki and I think that Haruhi herself does not realised her real feelings towards Tamaki! She is dense after all. And also note that it is ONLY towards Tamaki that she held out her hand in the show and I see that as a form of acceptance of Tamaki's feeling for her! Furthermore, notice how in the end it was only her that is able to catch up to Tamaki and how the rest of the Ouran high guys supported her to bring Tamaki back? Wink

I do love Ouran High very much. It never comes to my mind that Ouran might be a parody etc. Ouran is an anime and thus, exaggeration and over the top characters is a norm, so there's nothing to it. In a way, all the characters found in the anime are typical shojo characters, we have the vain and easy going guy @ Tamaki, then the serious devilish silent type @ Kyoya, the loli shota @ Honey-senpai, the silent strong type @ Mori-senpai and the naughty dare-devil twins! As for Haruhi, she is some-what the un-typical charater of a shojo anime, thus making her the unstable element in the show. She's the one that wreck havoc to the finely constructed world of the Ouran High Host Club! Remember the broken vase at the beginning of the show? The broken vase symbolises the about to be chaotic world of the Ouran high guys!

Anyways, what I like most about this show is that despite the FUN in em, there's this seriousness to it. Its amazing how the serious element is woven into the fun element and thus we could enjoy the show to its max! Its fun to watch AND intellectually challenging! For e.g. Tamaki seems like your w/out a care in the world kinda guy and yet he is the driving force of the story! Tamakin is the guy that held all the characters together as a family and when we laern about his past, we could not help ourself but admire him more! Haruhi seems like this laid back, dense character who couldnt care less about what people thinks, fashion etc. Ironically, despite all her uniqueness, she is the one that helps Kyoya out of his shell. Maybe being different is not so bad after all ne? Smile

God, I think I should stop for now... Wink
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
i love this series, and really need to finish it. the characters are great, except for the twins....*shiver* thats just not right

and since fruits basket is also mentioned.....whos more psychotic, Renge or Kagura? im going for Renge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4