• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ouran High School Host Club!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The whole Tamaki-->Haruhi thing that's developing (I've only gotten up to ep. 16 so far) is something I like, and all of the drama from the more serious situations is a good way to balance the overall atmosphere.

But like I said, the way they just really exaggerate on the shoujo satire during even the most dramatic moments is what sort of throws the whole thing out of whack for me.

Maybe it's supposed to be like a School Rumble where the drama and romance are just side items? But from some of the drama I've seen in OHC, it just dips way too far into that bag of emotions in that I would prefer to take the show more seriously than have it just teasing us with the romance all the time, a la SR (which isn't a shoujo, of course, but still...).

That's one of the main reasons I like the shoujo genre; for its ability to emphasize romance and high emotions (whether it be romance, comedy, cuteness, or whatever).

I do think it's supposed to be more of a light-hearted comedy and the romance and drama are just to add a tiny bit of variety and to strengthen certain relationships.

Honestly, this is one of the few series where I don't want to see too much romance blossoming. They seem to be setting it up, in the latest episodes, particularly in the Halloween episode and the second one with Kasonada but... eh. I like the family-like relationship the group has as a whole.

Actually, I'd kinda like to see the series end with Haruhi unknowingly rejecting each member that has a crush on her in that clueless way that she does. ^^;
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I love Ouran. I presonally agree that it is a parody but a light one. It exagerates yaoi, shota (which I am pretty sure I misspelled), bishies, yuri, typical shojo romance, the reverse harem, plus the other archtypes including the handsome smart guy, the strong silent one and the rabid fangirl.

However, it is far set apart from many other parodies I have seen. The atomsphere of Ouran feels more like gentle teasing than making fun of shojo, as if the creator made a tribute to a loved genre. In addition, the real stories and endearing characters involve you for their sake. Instead of focusing solely on parody, this anime develops a real story. Watching Ouran gives the feel of enjoying a great shojo while also watching a hilarious parody.

Please forgive the numbers of times I used the word parody in this post. Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I concur with alot of the observations about Viz that Zalis made and I agree that I would not like to see this company license Ouran Koukou Host Club. They have pissed me off before in the selections of anime they have decided to release and their established history of altering content. They really have been trying hard to anger devoted anime fans only to appeal to the mainstream anime audience.

Fortunately, I highly anticipate Bandai getting ahold of this title. After all the studio involved with the animation is Bones and just look at all the Bones series that have been licensed by Bandai Ent:
Escaflowne: The Movie : Production In Association With
Eureka 7 (TV) : Animation Production, Original Concept
Mars Daybreak (TV) : Animation Production, Production
Scrapped Princess (TV) : Production Studio
Wolf's Rain (TV) : Animation

And Bandai has been putting out some great dubs lately so any effort they put into the dubbing of Ouran Koukou should at least be satisfactory.

I realize that there is little connection between anime studios in Japan and the company in the US that ends up licensing a show, but if Bandai has a good reputation of putting out high quality NA versions there might be some preference by the Japanese companies to allow them to import it (and give them a better deal on licensing costs).
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
rajamitsu wrote:
Honestly, this is one of the few series where I don't want to see too much romance blossoming. They seem to be setting it up, in the latest episodes, particularly in the Halloween episode and the second one with Kasonada but... eh. I like the family-like relationship the group has as a whole.

Actually, I'd kinda like to see the series end with Haruhi unknowingly rejecting each member that has a crush on her in that clueless way that she does. ^^;

Yikes, I don't know if I'd actually want to see Haruhi crushing the guys who are crushing on her; that's kinda brutal. More so because I really like those guys, clueless as they may be...

Other than that, though, I think you'll probably get your wish. I know the episodes have set up this expectation and tension about who Haruhi will end up with, but I can't see her making that kind of a choice in the two remaining episodes. Mostly because she's worse than the guys in the clueless department sometimes (at least when it comes to romance), but also because she hasn't yet accomplished her goal (the one that brought her to Ouran in the first place). I'm thinking it's going to be maddeningly noncommittal, a la Furuba. **sigh** Which is fine, I guess, but I just really wanted her to end up with Tamaki. Embarassed
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Haruhi's a rather interesting girl. She's alot more practical than typical lead female characters. She dresses in whatever clothes are most convenient, dresses as a guy when she had to cut her hair short, and worries about paying off her debt since she did break a vase. Which is why she seems less concerned with relationships. None of the other Host Club members mean much to her and she doesn't go out of her way for any of them. She just cares about getting by and loves eating rich people's food for free. I think she's rather cynical at times so it's hard to see where the romance story (if any) is going sometimes. Not that that's bad, since it's one of the few shoujo titles where the main character is not fawning all over one of the male characters.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
This is why some releases have a subtitle option usually called "signs only," where they will put subtitles for any Japanese text that happens to appear. It's not standard though, which is a shame because you really can lose quite a bit if you don't know what certain things say (though, in the Fushigi Yuugi example, though I haven't watched the dub, not saying what the room is probably doesn't really effect things too much, though it would definitely be better to say what exactly it is).
Really, I'd say that any worthwhile, modern release has a seperate subtitle track, typically known as "Songs/Signs Only", which will play by default on most players if you don't do anything with subtitle selections in the menu. It's not completely standard, though it should be if companies don't want people saying that the fansubs are better than the DVDs. Even comparatively older DVDs like Love Hina have a separate track for the songs and signs that are relevant to the plot, part of character development, or just simply interesting or funny. They don't necessarily translate all the signs out in the streets, like "Hinata Electric" or what have you. But, take this shot from a fansub of Genshiken:

This shot from the DVD is taken a couple seconds later.
The parts about "Notice from Club Student Council: As a result of no apparent activity, the following clubs will be dissolved at the end of December" are shown in the previous frames that show the entire poster as Sasahara scans down it. Note how the fansub translates the entire list of clubs, even though only Genshiken's name is strictly relevant to the plot. It's much funnier to know that clubs like "English Gentlemen's Club" and "Time Machine Club" exist at the school, and if you just watch it on DVD, you miss that. The names aren't in the liner notes, either. Also, note how in the DVD, "The Society of Modern Visual Culture" appears superimposed over the last item on the list, although Genshiken's name is actually 3rd from the bottom. Genshiken, incidentally, is done by Media-Blasters, another company whose typesetting skills I don't particularly respect. Still, if I had chosen to represent Viz, there are even less-flattering frames to grab, like this one from episode 11 of SaiKano
,which doesn't bother to translate the cute little note saying, "We took (or 'humbly receieved') some tomatoes. Thank you for the meal." Given the quantity of signs that add to the humor in Ouran, I'm a bit concerned.
Past wrote:
Fortunately, I highly anticipate Bandai getting ahold of this title. After all the studio involved with the animation is Bones and just look at all the Bones series that have been licensed by Bandai Ent:
Escaflowne: The Movie : Production In Association With
Eureka 7 (TV) : Animation Production, Original Concept
Mars Daybreak (TV) : Animation Production, Production
Scrapped Princess (TV) : Production Studio
Wolf's Rain (TV) : Animation
And Bandai has been putting out some great dubs lately so any effort they put into the dubbing of Ouran Koukou should at least be satisfactory.
Interesting, I never really thought about Bandai in speculating about this title...it could happen, though Bandai doesn't seem much into school comedies that don't have fanservice/titillation. On the dub front, I'm not so sure...Scrapped Princess was good, but Fantastic Children apparently is not...My-Hime's dub is getting, at absolute best, mixed reactions. Their dubs for non-action series are a mixed bag--Please Teacher! and Please Twins! were adequate, but Love Hina dub spurs even devoted dub fans to switch the audio.
To me, the field is brimming with non-Viz licensee posibilities; given the comparison to School Rumble, I can imagine that Funi might be interested, and they've done Bones' FMA. ADV's also done a few Bones series, like Angelic Layer and RahXephon, though I'm not sure if the comedy is "their kind" of comedy. Even Media-Blasters might go for it, given how many other fangirl favorites they've got, like Loveless and Sukisho!, which also feature pretty boys in "delicate yet dangerous" types of relationships Laughing
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
Yikes, I don't know if I'd actually want to see Haruhi crushing the guys who are crushing on her; that's kinda brutal. More so because I really like those guys, clueless as they may be...

Other than that, though, I think you'll probably get your wish. I know the episodes have set up this expectation and tension about who Haruhi will end up with, but I can't see her making that kind of a choice in the two remaining episodes. Mostly because she's worse than the guys in the clueless department sometimes (at least when it comes to romance), but also because she hasn't yet accomplished her goal (the one that brought her to Ouran in the first place). I'm thinking it's going to be maddeningly noncommittal, a la Furuba. **sigh** Which is fine, I guess, but I just really wanted her to end up with Tamaki. Embarassed

I didn't mean it quite like that. Embarassed More like what happened with spoiler[Arai and Kasonada]. She doesn't realize she's truning them down, but it does keep them all on friendly terms. ...if that makes sense?

Maybe if they made a second season or an OAV or something I'd be a bit more open to the idea. At this point, though, I don't really want to see Haruhi with anyone. Mostly because the romantic feelings all seem one-sided. (And, heck, according to Hunny in #23, there's at least one more competitor.)
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually think it's better to have the translation for a sign underneath the actual text (or in the location where subtitles are normally placed), rather than superimposed right on top of it. In the Genshiken DVD image example, both the text (centered vertically) and the subtitle are in appropriate places. For someone not interested in looking at the Kanji, it doesn't really matter which one actually is the name of the club. In the fansub image example the translations are cleverly placed under each club name, but that requires much extra work and time that a professional subbing company may not have time to do with other projects and trying to minimize costs and putting out product in a timely matter.

What ADV did with Pani Poni Dash! I think is, in my eyes, a bad example of how signs and on-screen text should be dealt with:
All those notes on the chalk board that randomly appear have their translations superimposed over them. First of all, it's mostly jibberish that doesn't really add to the plot or humor so there's no need to translate all that. So it's kind of a waste of time and effort, but if you want to see what they say and compare it with the Japanese you have to keep turning the subtitles on/off so you can see both the actual text and the translation. Gah!

But anyway I don't like to see Media Blasters picked on, they are still one of my favorite NA anime licensing companies. I like them better than ADV and I definitely like them better than Funimation.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
But anyway I don't like to see Media Blasters picked on, they are still one of my favorite NA anime licensing companies. I like them better than ADV and I definitely like them better than Funimation.
Heh heh, I know Wink Actually, I don't really hate M-B or anything; I've watched Berserk, Figure 17, Shrine of the Morning Mist, Sentimental Journey, and Seraphim Call from them, and they've all been decent releases, nothing to seriously raise hell about. (Though the AoDenizens sometimes call them Mono-Blasters, and Randall Miyashiro of these forums has pointed out video transfer issues in their DVDs from time to time.) I know the exact positioning in that Genshiken frame is a minor issue, but I guess I like to see presentation (from DVDs and fansubs alike) that comes as close as possible to replicating the experience of Japanese viewers. I've heard the "Companies don't feel like putting in the extra time, effort, expense to make translate and position so many signs" line before. I'm sorry to say it, but attitudes like that are going to drive more fans to eschew DVDs in favor of fansubs. And yet, the companies just stick to the "Anyone who downloads fansubs [of licensed anime] is a thief, and they only do it to avoid paying money for anime" philosophy, instead of improving things within their control.

On the Pani Poni Dash! issue, though, I believe that there are multiple subtitle tracks and you can switch off the subtitles for the background signs, if they're too distracting for the viewing experience.

Incidentally, my tiered ranking of the major companies on this issue is:
ADV, Rightstuf, AnimEigo
Geneon, Funimation
[CPM-can't judge because NTHT doesn't have signs, and Utena is from the VHS days where they hard-coded images into the video. The titles and such look pretty nice, though.]
Bandai, Media-Blasters
Viz

Sorry, this is considerably O/T; I'll have to watch episode 5 of this series and edit the post Embarassed
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

On the Pani Poni Dash! issue, though, I believe that there are multiple subtitle tracks and you can switch off the subtitles for the background signs, if they're too distracting for the viewing experience.

Wait, Pani Poni Dash was just licensed about a month ago. There's no way its out already. How do we know how they are going to handle it?
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Wait, Pani Poni Dash was just licensed about a month ago. There's no way its out already. How do we know how they are going to handle it?

My memory is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I remember David L. Williams discussing a few things on how the series was going to be handled over on the Animeondvd forums (I think the thread has since disappeared). At the very least, I remember that the series was going to have "vid notes" (I think that's what they're called) similar to the ones from Excel Saga.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing something about the vid notes (and it makes sense for a series like that) but they are talking about something very specific from a specific scene that they could only know if they actually saw the released version. Maybe that was discussed in that thread as well but it seems odd to know something so specific when the series hasn't been released yet.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I remember hearing something about the vid notes (and it makes sense for a series like that) but they are talking about something very specific from a specific scene that they could only know if they actually saw the released version. Maybe that was discussed in that thread as well but it seems odd to know something so specific when the series hasn't been released yet.

It's called time travel, I jumped forward about a year into the future. Wink
Oh and since this has gotten so off topic, Ouran Koukou Host Club gets licensed by Funimation and renamed simply "The Host Club".

Kind of fitting for someone named Past
EDIT:
Actually (not lying this time), a recent anime con in the Midwest screened a special premeire copy of Pani Poni Dash. It was a subtitle only copy, since they haven't finished working on the dub yet.
frouella

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
So I just saw episode 25 and I have to talk about it somewhere! You guys are so lucky... Wink

First of all, I don't really read the manga, so please keep in mind that my reactions here are only to the anime. That being said, I have a few thoughts/speculations about how this is all going to wrap up next week.

That Eclair girl: I think we're going to find out she has some kind of connection with spoiler[Tamaki's mother (kind of obvious after her mental flashback-thing), but I also think that we're going to find out that she's not really as malevolent as she seems. I'm sensing an ulterior motive (re-uniting Tama-chan and his mother maybe? she keeps talking about family.); at the same time she's looking out for her own interests, too. That's what the rational side of my brain says anyway -- the irrational side is jumping up and down and calling her an ugly bee-otch.] And what's with the opera glasses???

Kyouya getting slapped by his father: From what was said in the episode, I think that spoiler[Eclair's family is putting some kind of pressure on the Ootori group, and so Kyouya's father is on edge to begin with. I think Tama-chan's father mentioned something about problems that haven't been made public yet; maybe the company is being taken over?] That'd make anybody irritable...

Haruhi's reactions: I think the appearance of Eclair has forced Haruhi to realize that spoiler[her feelings for Tamaki are different than what she previously thought. Unless she's regressed to a level of emotional immaturity on par with Hikaru (no offense!), she's probably realizing that you generally don't feel that irritable and jealous about just "a person [she] knows." And even if she doesn't think she's jealous, everybody else certainly picks up on it. I thought it was interesting, too, how when Kyouya makes his semi-rhetorical question about "...why that girl came to meet with Tamaki -- who knows?" the focus is on Haruhi's rigid, motionless back. Even more interesting is that the next shot is of a gondola going through a tunnel and out into the light, which could be viewed as Haruhi's dawning realization.]

Well that's my $.02. Agree? Disagree? New theories? We've got a week to speculate!

EDIT:
I just thought of something else too -- Eclair's full name is Eclair Tonerre, which translates into Lightning Thunder, respectively. Which is exactly what Haruhi fears the most. spoiler[So this could be interpreted to mean that the threat that Eclair represents (taking Tamaki away, influencing him to close the Host Club) is most traumatic and threatening to Haruhi.] Wow, I'm really liking the writers who adapted this show more and more...
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Just finished it. Hoo. I didn't put that much thought into it ('cos I'm still kinda Crying or Very sad over Tamaki's many kicked puppy faces this episode...), but a lot of what you said makes sense. Eclair's mini-flashback scene vanished from my mind pretty quickly, but I do hope you're right.

I will say it was weird seeing Renge all serious.

I still maintain what I said earlier. While Haruhi was clearly spoiler[jealous at the thought of Eclair and Tamaki getting close]... I still don't want to see them hook up. After all this emphesis on family, I still would like to see the club stay that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4