• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ouran High School Host Club!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo_Onigiri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know when the dvds will come out with English subtitles I know its not out yet but does anyone have a remote idea of whatever time that will be?I especially want the entire box set so any info on that would be great too! I'm so desperate to get it IT'S JUST SOOOOO GOOD! Embarassed Shocked

[EDIT: Replaced "Koukou" with with "High School" in thread title, although I couldn't do so when this thread originally started. Seriously, there's no reason to leave that in Japanese when there's a simple, non-lame-sounding English equivalent available. Fixed some spelling too -- "noe" is not and has never been a word.~Zalis]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
It hasn't been licensed yet, or if it has, it hasn't been announced. My money is on Viz getting the license since they recently started a Shoujo Beat DVD line and so far they only have one title and there aren't that many Shoujo Beat titles with anime counterparts (just Nana, Ouran, and Aishiteruze Baby, although La Corda d'Oro has an anime airing in the fall).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading the manga and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Add me to the list of people looking forward the Ouran High School Host Club coming to America!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
It's not licensed for the U.S, so obviously it won't come out anytime soon. However, since the topic is already made, I'll leave it open to discussion for the series since I can't recall any recent ones.

I have a question. A friend of mine who totally worships the series says it's the best thing he's seen because it makes fun of other shoujo anime. Other than Fruits Basket (which he also loves) and part of Fushigi Yuugi (which he hates) I don't think he's seen any other shoujo titles.

In my opinion, I feel the shoujo label is to describe the sort of intimacy and closeness that the characters have with each other and in their relationships. I feel what makes it funny is the archetyping of certain qualities within each of the many characters and how it all overexaggerates to the point of what I'll call "cute, yet absurd."

You feel for the characters, in a way. But because of the comedy and types of characters that particpate in the various scenarios, you end up feeling good about it in the end.

So I'm wondering, do any of you believe in my friend's reasoning, or am I wrong too?

I've not seen many shoujo myself, but I've seen more than him and haven't observed any particular shoujo parody aside from that dating sim bit with Kyoya. Ouran Host Club (which is what I call it since the High School or Koukou is just wasted space because there is no other Ouran Host Club franchise that I know of) does a Very Good job standing by itself and with good reason.

When they were showing this at AnimeFest a couple of weeks ago, I would say it was the second most crowded video room next to the dubbed version of Hellsing Ultimate.

There was a much higher amount of female fans, but there were plenty of guys as well. They showed the first 5 episodes and the audience got a real kick out of it with some really loud laughing and cheering on several occasions. It was a very fun atmosphere at the time and only goes to prove the warranted popularity of this series. Oh, and lots of cosplayers too.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
I don't really agree that Ouran Koukou makes fun of other shoujo or any other genre of anime. It has quite a few serious sides to it and plenty of comedy but I don't think it goes as far as actually being considered a parody. Almost every comedy anime I've seen recently (comedy being one of the reasons I'll choose to watch one anime over another) has at least a few references to other shows for comedic value. So I think it's expected that an anime will poke fun at another anime at least a few times.

I like Ouran Koukou alot myself, but nothing about it really stands out in my mind as being especially outstanding. Even though I typically enjoy watching shoujo and cute / romantic comedies, it doesn't quite compare with a better than average action / adventure anime that I would also tend to enjoy a great deal. I think the biggest downfall of Ouran Koukou for me is the difference between the maturity level of the characters overall (too low sometimes) that coincides with the occasional seriousness of the story (too high sometimes). If the story takes a serious turn, I think there shouldn't be an abrupt silliness with the characters.

So those are my small views on this show, and I'd like to hear what others have to say since it does seem to have a lot of popularity.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I feel what makes it funny is the archetyping of certain qualities within each of the many characters and how it all overexaggerates to the point of what I'll call "cute, yet absurd."

My sentiments exactly. I haven't seen much shoujo either, not my thing, and I'm only watching Ouran Host Club becuase the anime club I go to is playing it. It's funny, but in the way that everything is just so over-the-top.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It hasn't been licensed yet, or if it has, it hasn't been announced. My money is on Viz getting the license since they recently started a Shoujo Beat DVD line and so far they only have one title and there aren't that many Shoujo Beat titles with anime counterparts (just Nana, Ouran, and Aishiteruze Baby, although La Corda d'Oro has an anime airing in the fall).
For some reason, I hope against hope that Viz doesn't get this anime. Why? While I respect the work that Viz has done in the dubbing and presentation of their big hit shounen anime (like Naruto, Bleach, and even Inuyasha, even though I don't care for the show itself), their work on other titles like Key the Metal Idol, Ceres: Celestial Legend, Video Girl Ai, SaiKano, and Full Moon has been disappointing.

Lackluster dubs, editing mistakes, non-existent song subtitles, lack of a secondary subtitle track for songs (like in FMwS, where viewers of the English dub are suddenly left out in the cold when characters start singing in Japanese), not bothering to translate signs, subtitle scripts that contain drastic omissions or simplifications, failure to inform non-Japanese-speaking viewers of what series titles actually mean, "wtf? moments" in subtitles for anyone whose knowledge of Japanese is "fanboy-level" or less -- these are all problems that plague at least some of these releases. Compared to other companies' products, or even (dare I say it) to fansubs, many Viz releases just don't measure up.

I've seen episodes 1-4 & 6 of Ouran, and I've enjoyed it because of the way it goes 150% to excess on stereotypes and makes fun of shoujo elements as well as BL/shounen-ai material--the sheer exaggeration in those homoerotic "fangirl fanservice" scenes is just hilarious, and the rediculously wealthy atmosphere lets the characters set aside reality to focus on the comedy. I look forward to watching the rest. Do I look forward to buying it on DVD? Maybe, but if Viz releases it, I'll definitely be watching advance reviews like a hawk, since Ouran has a lot of signs and cultural/linguistic intricacies. I mean, given Viz's history, here's how we can expect some of the lines to be:
Haruhi: Hmm, maybe I should start saying "I" from now on.
Komaki: Oh, no, girls shouldn't say "I."

Viewer who doesn't know Japanese and hasn't watched the fansubs: "Wtf are they talking about?"
Viewer who either knows Japanese or watched the fansub: "Oh, yeah, she's talking about using 'ore,' a masculine version of 'I' that women don't use."

I know they'd have to work around this matter in the dub, but any subtitle script that requires (detailed) prior knowledge of Japanese to comprehend = autofail. I guess every fan has their particular company that they dislike, and Viz is in that spot for me these days.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I have a question. A friend of mine who totally worships the series says it's the best thing he's seen because it makes fun of other shoujo anime. Other than Fruits Basket (which he also loves) and part of Fushigi Yuugi (which he hates) I don't think he's seen any other shoujo titles.

In my opinion, I feel the shoujo label is to describe the sort of intimacy and closeness that the characters have with each other and in their relationships. I feel what makes it funny is the archetyping of certain qualities within each of the many characters and how it all overexaggerates to the point of what I'll call "cute, yet absurd."

You feel for the characters, in a way. But because of the comedy and types of characters that particpate in the various scenarios, you end up feeling good about it in the end.

So I'm wondering, do any of you believe in my friend's reasoning, or am I wrong too?

I've been getting into the manga, and so far I'd say that it both belongs to and parodies the shoujo genre (with love, of course). First of all, the whole idea of the Host Club gently ribs the whole fangirl culture. Tamaki parodies the sensitive leading man mold while also actually belonging to it; the Hitachiins tweak shounen-ai/yaoi fans who insist on reading it into characters even when it isn't there (although obviously they care about eachother deeply and being twins are closer than non-twin siblings).

It doesn't just parody shoujo, though. The Roberia girls slam fanatic feminists who by contrast take things too far in the other direction; and Nekozawa, who's my favorite recurring character so far, is a wickedly funny parody of Goth wannabes.

I like the manga so far, and add me to the list of those who will pick the series up once it's available on Region 1 DVD. I would imagine that it will still be awhile because the series is just ending in Japan and even if it's licenced the day after the last episode airs the subs and dubs still have to be created, but it seems to be popular enough that it won't be years and years before we see it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
I definitely agree that Ouran does satirized some elements of shoujo manga/anime, but at the same time it still is a shoujo manga/anime itself. And certainly not all their jokes are through this satire, but I definitely think there is an element to it (like when all the characters are listed by their "type").

Basically, as others have said, Ouran makes fun of the shoujo cliches.

As for the licensing of the series, I expect that it won't be much longer and that Viz will at least be in the running to get it, since they have the manga and have mentioned the anime in Shoujo Beat magazine. Even if it's not Viz, the license should be soon, since the anime is almost over it's 26 episode run in Japan (though of course the manga is still going and thus there is a possibility that the anime will have a fairly open ending, so that the series could be revisited once enough material has been produced in the manga).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
For some reason, I hope against hope that Viz doesn't get this anime. Why? While I respect the work that Viz has done in the dubbing and presentation of their big hit shounen anime (like Naruto, Bleach, and even Inuyasha, even though I don't care for the show itself), their work on other titles like Key the Metal Idol, Ceres: Celestial Legend, Video Girl Ai, SaiKano, and Full Moon has been disappointing.

Lackluster dubs, editing mistakes, non-existent song subtitles, lack of a secondary subtitle track for songs (like in FMwS, where viewers of the English dub are suddenly left out in the cold when characters start singing in Japanese), not bothering to translate signs, subtitle scripts that contain drastic omissions or simplifications, failure to inform non-Japanese-speaking viewers of what series titles actually mean, "wtf? moments" in subtitles for anyone whose knowledge of Japanese is "fanboy-level" or less -- these are all problems that plague at least some of these releases. Compared to other companies' products, or even (dare I say it) to fansubs, many Viz releases just don't measure up.

I've seen episodes 1-4 & 6 of Ouran, and I've enjoyed it because of the way it goes 150% to excess on stereotypes and makes fun of shoujo elements as well as BL/shounen-ai material--the sheer exaggeration in those homoerotic "fangirl fanservice" scenes is just hilarious, and the rediculously wealthy atmosphere lets the characters set aside reality to focus on the comedy. I look forward to watching the rest. Do I look forward to buying it on DVD? Maybe, but if Viz releases it, I'll definitely be watching advance reviews like a hawk, since Ouran has a lot of signs and cultural/linguistic intricacies. I mean, given Viz's history, here's how we can expect some of the lines to be:
Haruhi: Hmm, maybe I should start saying "I" from now on.
Komaki: Oh, no, girls shouldn't say "I."

Viewer who doesn't know Japanese and hasn't watched the fansubs: "Wtf are they talking about?"
Viewer who either knows Japanese or watched the fansub: "Oh, yeah, she's talking about using 'ore,' a masculine version of 'I' that women don't use."

I know they'd have to work around this matter in the dub, but any subtitle script that requires (detailed) prior knowledge of Japanese to comprehend = autofail. I guess every fan has their particular company that they dislike, and Viz is in that spot for me these days.

I'm going to have to go with Zalis on this one. I hope that Viz doesn't get Ouran as well.

My knowledge of Japanese comes from anime. Period. Ergo...I know jack squat about Japanese. I'm dependant on the Dubbing Company to "explain" things such as signs etc. to me. Because in some cases those signs may be important to the story. And it doesn't help when they are translated in subtitle but not in dubbed. This might not be the right example but in Fushigi Yugi when Miaka and Yui enter into the "rare book room" the sign above/next to the door is not translated into English in the English dub but are translated in the Japanese subtitle (of course this is Pioneer/Geneon but I couldn't think of another example besides the ones already brought up).

I think that either Viz is doing things on the "cheap" or they may not care.

I hope that either ADV or Funi get Ouran because they have excellent translators not to mention a very good pool of American VAs!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
So the franchise is a shoujo series itself, and the comedy drives off of satirizing certain elements of other shoujo, right?

I sort of got that when thinking about what you all said about categorizing the host club guys into different "types." But to me, what makes it different from something that just plain satirizes shoujo is that it actually makes an effort to establish a sense of realism.

The whole Tamaki-->Haruhi thing that's developing (I've only gotten up to ep. 16 so far) is something I like, and all of the drama from the more serious situations is a good way to balance the overall atmosphere.

But like I said, the way they just really exaggerate on the shoujo satire during even the most dramatic moments is what sort of throws the whole thing out of whack for me.

Maybe it's supposed to be like a School Rumble where the drama and romance are just side items? But from some of the drama I've seen in OHC, it just dips way too far into that bag of emotions in that I would prefer to take the show more seriously than have it just teasing us with the romance all the time, a la SR (which isn't a shoujo, of course, but still...).

That's one of the main reasons I like the shoujo genre; for its ability to emphasize romance and high emotions (whether it be romance, comedy, cuteness, or whatever).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
I hope someone other than Viz gets it (FUNI, Geneon, or ADV) as well, but I'm expecting Viz to get it.

And Ouran definitely contains plenty of parody, but its not just parody. The characters are all clearly based on shoujo arc-types and it is repeatedly pointed out and used for comedic effect. Various chapters/episodes make fun of shoujo plot points or other groups ("Feminazis", yaoi fangirls, otaku, etc) and practically ever episode makes fun of rich people. However, the characters are not their soley to make fun of their types. Haruhi is hardly a typical shoujo heroine and all of the characters are slowly but carefully developed.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
But to me, what makes it different from something that just plain satirizes shoujo is that it actually makes an effort to establish a sense of realism.

That's it exactly. Underneath all the craziness, the Ouran characters (at least the main ones) just feel real to me. The showy-ness they have is just that: a show put on to make the customers happy.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Because in some cases those signs may be important to the story. And it doesn't help when they are translated in subtitle but not in dubbed.

This is why some releases have a subtitle option usually called "signs only," where they will put subtitles for any Japanese text that happens to appear. It's not standard though, which is a shame because you really can lose quite a bit if you don't know what certain things say (though, in the Fushigi Yuugi example, though I haven't watched the dub, not saying what the room is probably doesn't really effect things too much, though it would definitely be better to say what exactly it is).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

LydiaDianne wrote:
Because in some cases those signs may be important to the story. And it doesn't help when they are translated in subtitle but not in dubbed.

This is why some releases have a subtitle option usually called "signs only," where they will put subtitles for any Japanese text that happens to appear. It's not standard though, which is a shame because you really can lose quite a bit if you don't know what certain things say (though, in the Fushigi Yuugi example, though I haven't watched the dub, not saying what the room is probably doesn't really effect things too much, though it would definitely be better to say what exactly it is).

OH! Idea I thought that the "signs only" option was connected to the Japanese language track. DUH! Talk about living in Lala Land!

Thanks! The next time one of my anime has that and I'm watching the dubbed version, I'll try that.

But I still feel that if you are going to translate part, you should translate all: Songs, signs, etc.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Usually "Signs Only", if they have it, is turned on automatically regardless of what language track you are watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4