• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:
I don't tolerate cencorship, no matter how small it is.

People!-

It'd be 'censored' if it were against the author's wishes and what not. The author/license has approved of these things, therefore it's editing, not censorship.

Regardless, I don't read the FMA manga (or manga in general), but I can hardly see the fuss in this. Tenjou Tenge, yep, there's a legitimate complaint, but what exactly did the stone cross add to the story?

SnowfairyX: It still doesn't change the fact that they released two edited versions, that and they are also putting out Voltron (which is an edited form of Golion and Dairugger), and Teknoman (edited, dub only Tekkaman Blade). Every company that has released more than I dunno, ten or more DVDs, will end up having atleast one edited title in their collection, more than likely. Maybe the same will go for manga too.

Quote:
Viz can kiss the fatest part of my ass.

Wait, there's got to be some serious health concerns when there is a 'fattest' part of your ass.

Quote:
Oh...well I guess I don't like Disney anymore.

Despite the fact that the changes being made were entirely authorised by Disney. Hell, Joe Hisaishi composed new music to fill in the musicless portions of Laputa.

Personally, I think it's silly to get uptight over editing or alterations as a principal. When you're importing foreign media to a different market and culture, changes are abound. Focus your energy on the most 'heinous' of these alterations, rather than everything in general.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
toomanyalts wrote:
To the people saying radical Christians would have been offended long before the cross scene you really don't understand radical Christians in America.

99% of those Christians that censor and often successfully get books from being sold in bookstores and read in schools have never read those books nor ever will but they demand them to be censored.

All it would take is some fundie like James Dobson to raise holy hell about the FMA crucifiction scene and manga could very well be endangered in this country. It doesn't matter if they don't read it, it matters that they get some visual of this supposed blasmpehmy against them then they get up all in arms.

I mean seriously do any of you not understand that fundies are the most ignorant people on the earth and are sheep to their ignorant pastors?

Seriously have you heard fundie rants against Evolutionary Biology not a single one of these fundies even knows what Evolutionary biology actually says yet they constantly get lawmakers to make the teaching of evolution illegal or water downed. They pressure teachers to not teach sound science but instead teach debunked/admitted false Biblical based science which is illegal to teach since it isn't science or even factual but a religious dogma.

You people stating that viz didn't have to do the edit have no idea about the influence of fundies in this country. Manga is a vulernable industry as of now. When it was largely underground it was relatively safe. Most manga series don't break even.

As for being sued guess what Viz can be and it wouldn't be dismissed on first amendment grounds. Nor would Viz get a settlement if the case was thrown out they would lose a lot of money defending themselves.

There are several lawmakers in this country wanting to pass laws to make scenes like the FMA crufiction one illegal and have people arrested. Guess what those laws nearly got passed and a lot of people voting for Republicans want them to be passed. If you bother to investiage the Religous Right you will see a lot of them state that the First Amendemnt only applies to Christians and that mocking Christianity should be illegal since it wouldn't be protected by the First Amendment. These Christians btw have taking over a lot of school boards and teach this crap to students in electives paid for by American tax dollars. In numerous polls most answered that mocking Christianity or anything appearing to do so must be made illegal.

Yeah, you're completely right. I mean, remember when they forced Viz to stop publishing Angel Sanctuary? Oh wait, they didn't...

Oh, but they sure did stick it to Dark Horse when they forced them to stop publishing Hellsing and Berserk. And Wolfwood's gun in Trigun amost got it removed from bookstores too. Oh, wait that didn't happen either...

The only entertainment censorship anyone has really been concerned with is violence and sex in video games, but even that's a very, very small minority. Most Christian organizations that monitor this stuff just advocate awareness of the content, not censorship of it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm very disappointed by Arakawa's approval of this edit. She likely doesn't understand the state of rabid religious fervor in America and why it needs to be fought. I guess there's not much more reason to complain, since they got her approval, but I'm upset that Viz can get away with this kind of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm very disappointed by Arakawa's approval of this edit. She likely doesn't understand the state of rabid religious fervor in America and why it needs to be fought. I guess there's not much more reason to complain, since they got her approval, but I'm upset that Viz can get away with this kind of thing.

It's probably very easy...

Viz: Hey, Arakawa. Volume 8 looks great. But, you know the crucifix....
Arakawa: Huh?
Viz: Err... You know, Greed being crucified. This scene right here.
Viz: Too religious. Those Christians in America will cause a nightmare. They'll be book bannings. It'll be just awful. We'll loose money. You won't be able to sell anything here anymore.
Arakawa: But we went over this before. There's no Chrisitianity in the FMA universe.
Viz: We know. But, we don't need the headache. Consent to this edit or else...
Arakawa: 'kay.

It's a tough call. Crucifixions were done. But, this is The Crucifix that may be what is referred to in that depiction. If this was the author's intention, then I'd back down too. The crucifix is common to the majority if not all Christian religions. More than just the religious right would take issue on this imo.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
Okay, Viz, has there been enough of an uproar to release an "uncut special edition" yet? You know you want to! Heck, you've already established a precedent with the Naruto DVDs!

Or for that matter, uncut I's.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
me wrote:
\I was recently reading a journal about a supernova that occured 4.5 billion years ago. Of course it was so far away that the light from the explosion has only now recently reached us. Interesting enough, most supernovas exibit Gamma ray bursts that will usually last less than a minute. But this one was different. It had a massive gamma radiation release, it lasted 33 minutes. It released enough radiation to not only destroy all life in the galaxy in which the star once stood(about 300,000 light years), but enough to destroy all life in all of its surrounding galaxies(millions of light years). Now there is of course no way to know if any life was actually terminated during this massive display of nature. But no force could ever stop this brutal assault. One can only assume that among the millions of solar systems that were doused with this extremly hot massive radiation, that in Sagan's words, "Statistically life is probable". But atleast in that part of our little Universe, it is fairly certain there is none, or was none, or is starting over. We don't know.

One thing is for sure, there is only one way we would ever be able to stop something like that from happening in a galaxy near us. And it has nothing to do with grey matter.

What are you even talking about? Everybody knows the universe is only 6000 years old.

Laughing Thats funny and I laughed so thanks. But anyway I was just trying to put things in perspective, I hope people got that(everything I said happened) . And since it is hard to tell on the internet, it is hard to tell if you are serious or not.

However I would like to point out how this mockerism paints all of a certain people as ignorant. And while it is fun to point out this stereotype these days, it is no where close to the modern version. And I am not directing this at you really Ohoni, but at the utter ridiculously that was posted before, I felt I needed to tell a true story, and a sad one at that.
--------------------------------------------
Anyway since I never replied to your last reply, I must say that while I agree with you in part, I must disagree on basis of principle alone. I don't want to bring it up again because it is sort of OT, but I think you might know what I am talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
]Yeah, you go to Japan where you'll never have to complain about edited manga and anime ever again. Wink

Only because you don't know what it looked like when the manga-ka handed it to his editor...

Manga editing & censorship happens in Japan too.

-t
What? Oh Nooo! Say it isn't so! The thought police even got to them in their homes? InuyashaMilk, I fear the future looks bleak for you. There will be,.... no happiness. It's sooo sad! Arrow
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:

It's a tough call. Crucifixions were done. But, this is The Crucifix that may be what is referred to in that depiction. If this was the author's intention, then I'd back down too. The crucifix is common to the majority if not all Christian religions. More than just the religious right would take issue on this imo.

Yeah, I wouldn't blame the writers for going along with Viz, they probably just trust Viz to know that they're doing. I blame Viz for not knowing what they're doing.

Quote:

However I would like to point out how this mockerism paints all of a certain people as ignorant. And while it is fun to point out this stereotype these days, it is no where close to the modern version. And I am not directing this at you really Ohoni, but at the utter ridiculously that was posted before, I felt I needed to tell a true story, and a sad one at that.

I don't know. I do identify myself as a Christian, I believe in most of the same abstracts of God, and Christ, and the basic principles he espoused, but I have to temper all that with the fact that it contradicts what science describes in some places, and was writen millenia before the science was available to adequately describe what people were encountering.

So basically, I have little respect at all for anyone that chooses to flat out ignore what we KNOW of the universe in favor of any sort of fiction, regardless what book that fiction appears in. I also have little respect for anyone that turns their most core descision making capabilities over to anyone other than themselves, whoever that figure might be, and whoever he might claim to represent.

So basically I have nothing but respect for Christianity as a religion, and for those that follow it reasonably, but I have nothing but contempt for those that make Christians look like idiots, just as I'm sure many Muslims are mortified by those that slaughter innocents in the name of their own religion.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't blame the writers for going along with Viz, they probably just trust Viz to know that they're doing. I blame Viz for not knowing what they're doing.

I think that Viz did the right thing to prevent a backlash. We have Manga: 60 years of Japanese Comics to look at as an example of what can happen if you anger the wrong people. Viz doesn't need that type of publicity. This would be alittle to hard to defend as Greed's death and subsequent circumstances allude to a very sacred event in Christianity.

Let's not also forget the controversy surrounding The Passion of The Christ. Soccer moms weren't the vocal ones there either.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but in the case of Manga: 60 Years of Japanese Comics, the issue was sex and beastiality, not the presence of a cross. And in the case of The Passion of the Christ the issue was that it was being interpreted as being anti-semetic and would supposedly incite violence against Jews.

In this case, a crucifiction would supposedly offend a bunch of people and cause problems. Supposedly some Christian soccer mom would get offended that someone fictional person was fictionally crucified. Maybe there is actually someone out there that would be offended by this and start raising hell and cause Viz problems, but I really doubt it.
Cave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Mini_Alquemist wrote:
Cave wrote:
Y'know people are going to say you're just a whiney otaku, and maybe you are.

Yup, I agree with that Rolling Eyes

Well, aren't you cute.

Zrana wrote:
I don't care much about this visual edit.

I'm more upset about the inconsistancies of Volume 9.

Was the editor asleep for this??

Pft, definitely agreed. Viz's editor must be asleep while doing their job. If you've seen the description for volume 16 of Prince of Tennis on their site, it says, "Takashi "Taka" Momoshiro". Uhm, no. His named is Takashi "Taka" KAWAMURA.

And really, if they're going to go with the Americanizing of names (everyone calls everyone by their first name instead of last like in Hikaru no Go and PoT), then at least be consistent and do it in ALL the manga.

I have so many issues with Viz it's not even funny anymore. They are a very bad company. You would NEVER see Tokyopop nor Del Rey doing this kind of crap. That isn't to say they've never messed up, but this is ridiculous.

Sorry, kind of rushed post here. Must get to class. x.X
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
25+ pages, not bad. I suppose I'll throw in my 2 cents as well, and hopefully I won't repeat too much of what's been already said.

I am one of those who don't mind the edit, especially since Arakawa approved it (and thus probably won't lead to any continuity problems), and the crucifix-position still remains. It's a pretty small edit.

There are two reasons I can think of for why the crucifixion was used in this chapter:
1. It's really, really painful. No religious associations need be necessarily attached. It is a historical practice of torture used before, during, and after Christ, and is not exclusive to him.
2. The Homunculi bear the symbol of the Ouroboros, a snake devouring its own tail in an unending circle. The protagonists of Fullmetal Alchemist bear the opposite crest, that of a serpent being crucified. From that standpoint at least, it makes sense that the enemy be defeated in such a manner. Now, I don't know if Hiromu Arakawa intended for Greed's punishment to reflect these symbols in the manga, but the anime spoiler[does so without doubt, and in a much more obvious way. Instead of being hung in a crucifix-like position, Greed is caught in a giant alchemic circle with the Flamel symbol inscribed into it. (This is, by the way, something I really enjoyed about the series; it's an innovative way to depict something akin to the cross-against-a-vampire routine).]

I think the scene in question is simply supposed to provide pain for Greed. As a Catholic,I don't mind non-religious depictions of crucifixion, in fact, I would actually prefer more of it (provided that it's for a purpose and not merely for the shock factor, of course). I think Christians would actually benefit if the violent connotation returned with the cross. To paraphrase something Mel Gibson said a few years ago, much of the West has become filled with clean, pretty little crucifixes- which is basically ahistorical and sort of missing the point. The cross is an instrument of suffering and death; in light of Christ's death and resurrection, it is not only symbolic of death conquered through divinity, or that by Christ's wounds one may be healed, etc., but a message that each must "bear his own cross," so to speak. It is supposed to evoke an image of pain. Secular depiction of the cross as a very painful tool reinforces this, hence why I am not against that. The clean and tidy crucifixes of today are a relatively new thing, afterall..

...And now I've gotten off track. Embarassed I don't know if future FMA volumes contain content that merits editing, but if anything occurs which alters something important to the storyline, I wonder if some sort of disclaimer could be provided instead of an edit? Outside of Fullmetal Alchemist, I'm not a big manga collector. So to those who collect more than I: are there any manga volumes out there that do contain some sort of disclaimer, or something which explains the proper connotation of things which some might find objectionable?
skaly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
4KrapSucks wrote:
I hate Viz sooo much! Twisted Evil

What I want to know is if there's any localization company you don't hate.

ummm...Disney I don't hate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I will only continue to hate FUNimation if they don't release Shin-chan uncut. I didn't used to hate ADV until Ghost Stories.

I have issues with Disney, ever since Pocahontas. What dreck. It's like they've spent the last decade or so relearning how to tell a decent story.

But Kingdom Hearts rocks. Best decision Disney's ever made.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Yeah, but in the case of Manga: 60 Years of Japanese Comics, the issue was sex and beastiality, not the presence of a cross. And in the case of The Passion of the Christ the issue was that it was being interpreted as being anti-semetic and would supposedly incite violence against Jews.

In this case, a crucifiction would supposedly offend a bunch of people and cause problems. Supposedly some Christian soccer mom would get offended that someone fictional person was fictionally crucified. Maybe there is actually someone out there that would be offended by this and start raising hell and cause Viz problems, but I really doubt it.

The Passion of The Christ also had some controversy for departing from the New Testament.

As the manga volume alludes to that event and Christian soccer moms were not the most vocal group with that movie, it's not hard to say that religious groups can get offended. Some of those groups have deep pockets and can do alot of damage if angered.

What's up with all the soccer mom stuff anyway? (Not particularily aimed at you HitokiriShadow.) Mothers are suppose to provide a stable enviroment for their children to grow. Soccer moms and other sports or club mothers give up alot for their kids. They shouldn't be treated with disdain imo.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The cross would be a symbol and of death and viz would have allowed it if it weren't for jesus being crucified on one. Now it's a religious symbol.

Also, was it edited out in the anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 27