• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaosAxess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I'm the only person who understands this edit. There are a ton of religious freaks that would condemn the manga if they saw a guy pinned to a cross in a manga. FMA is far more wide-spread than X or Angel Sanctuary, so it makes perfect sense to me... I'm sure the last thing Viz wants is complaints from a bunch of religous crazies complaining that Viz is anti-religious and other crap people like that like to do...
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
In a sense I can see why VIZ made the edit. Do you want people complaining about an edit or people crying over them showing someone being crucified, this would be especially true for some christians, as to christians(like myself) know that Jesus was crucified on a cross and depicicting anyone else beiong done the same is or might be considered blasphemy, and would thus draw HEAVY outcry and national attention that VIZ, I don't think, would want ever. Just my 2 cents on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
In a sense I can see why VIZ made the edit. Do you want people complaining about an edit or people crying over them showing someone being crucified, this would be especially true for some christians, as to christians(like myself) know that Jesus was crucified on a cross and depicicting anyone else beiong done the same is or might be considered blasphemy, and would thus draw HEAVY outcry and national attention that VIZ, I don't think, would want ever. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

I agree with that, from a business standpoint and to avoid controversy regarding their sales. I also find it funny that even the strongest of people run when it comes to voicing opinions about religion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aleclom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this edit is nothing to cry over (which is what a lot of people are already doing). It's small, and spamming Viz with emails is both stupid and pointless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
And already the typical otaku scream around the world. Nothing will satisfy them.

As for me, I honestly didn't know it had been edited, because the symbolism of Greed being hanged up there like that IS STILL THERE. (His body is still positioned as if he were on a cross.) I mean, any smart person would have picked up on the symbolism, edits or not. Then again, these are typical otaku after all that scream "OMG I'M NOT GONNA BUY THE MANGA ANYMORE BECAUSE IT'S BEEN EDITED!" Frickin' otaku.

The fact remains: until the edit was pointed out A WHOLE TWO MONTHS AFTER VOLUME 8 WAS RELEASED, nobody cared about the edit in the first place.

- J
Josh7289

The problem with the argument that states, "Viz did this to avoid controversy", is that no one really cares enough anymore to listen to people who complain over minor things like that, even in our culture. Seriously, tell me when the last major outcry from soccer moms, about anything, that you can remember was? Pokémon? Harry Potter? Both of those were from the late '90s, and people complained about what would be considered very minor problems, if even that, today. Much more "controversial", if you can even call them that, things have been released since then, and no one is complaining anymore. This is just another case of Viz Media living in the past, and making sure they only cover the lowest common denominator.
Deacon Blues

In all honesty, Viz won't give two hoots about what fans have to say. They aren't in the business to listen to complaints and what not about dumb edits. The only real reason why I can see them making this edit is that the soccer moms would have a fit over it. That, and it's a hot commodity. And, chances are most of the fans buying it haven't seen the original japanese, so they wouldn't know if there was anything changed in it or not. If you don't like their edit, import the original version so you can stare at the unedited version.
Oren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Mm.. not exactly true... I'm a christian and I find these kinds of edits absolutely retarded. And using a cross wouldn't be blasphemy.. it was a common practice years ago.. in scenes like this it's just showing that Greed was defeated and is on a cross so everyone can see it and know.

They really need to leave stuff the way it was originally... or not bother to bring it over.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the edit is dumb, but it's a smart move. Does it change the plot at all? No. Does it affect your reading in any possible way? No. Considering FMA is one of the top selling manga and it could easily slip into the wrong hands and start a riot, Viz made the right decision by editing it. Even though it was clearly a dumb edit, it was done for smart reasons.

Look at the scale, a few pissed off fans who can whine and send email or a bunch of pissed off soccer mom's who can get the church and media involved, which would you rather have?

Last edited by Unholy_Nny on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:

The fact remains: until the edit was pointed out A WHOLE TWO MONTHS AFTER VOLUME 8 WAS RELEASED, nobody cared about the edit in the first place.

- J

exactly...
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
ChaosAxess wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only person who understands this edit. There are a ton of religious freaks that would condemn the manga if they saw a guy pinned to a cross in a manga. FMA is far more wide-spread than X or Angel Sanctuary, so it makes perfect sense to me... I'm sure the last thing Viz wants is complaints from a bunch of religous crazies complaining that Viz is anti-religious and other crap people like that like to do...

Indeed. It doesn't change the substance of the scene at all, and it removes a potentially huge headache for Viz. Perfectly understandable.
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
The problem with the argument that states, "Viz did this to avoid controversy", is that no one really cares enough anymore to listen to people who complain over minor things like that, even in our culture. Seriously, tell me when the last major outcry from soccer moms, about anything, that you can remember was? Pokémon? Harry Potter? Both of those were from the late '90s, and people complained about what would be considered very minor problems, if even that, today. Much more "controversial", if you can even call them that, things have been released since then, and no one is complaining anymore. This is just another case of Viz Media living in the past, and making sure they only cover the lowest common denominator.

They don't have to complain in public. All they'd have to do is stop buying the books for their kids. If you don't think there are parents who would do that if they saw a crucifixion in their comic books, well...
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:

- J

Actually this was pointed out quite some time ago, but just now made its way over to ANN. I know it's been a topic of discussion on FMA boards since volume eight came out. So yes, people did notice before now. One website just didn't get the heads up.

I agree that it's ridiculous to get that upset over it, and I'm not. It's really no skin off my back, just one more entrty in the long list of why I'm not a fan of Viz on the whole. However, expressing some negativity towards the idea of the manga being edited is perfectly valid, I think.
DarkeSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:

The edit is silly on Viz's part because one of the themes of FMA is that "man's tresspass on the domain of God does not go unpunished." The series does happen to have a lot of religious overtones; just read the first volume! It's about a corrupt "church" and Ed's dialogue with the "priest" is pretty much a science vs. religion argument. Anyone uber-sensitive to religious issues reading FMA would be offended with the first volume.

And Jesus was hardly the only person to be crucified. It was a method of execution used by the Romans on countless criminals for hundreds of years.

The edit is so pointless and should not even have been an issue with Viz's localization team. Shame on you, Viz.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
schizosmurf wrote:
Brakus wrote:

- J

exactly...

Not exactly. Nobody cared before because nobody knew before. Now that it's out in the open, anyone who wanted to buy this volume is obviously disappointed and will probably now reconsider their purchase.

Shale wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

They don't have to complain in public. All they'd have to do is stop buying the books for their kids. If you don't think there are parents who would do that if they saw a crucifixion in their comic books, well...

How many parents would care enough to actually read the manga they buy their kids?

More importantly, I don't believe there are many people that get this manga as free gifts from their parents. As gifts for birthdays or holiday, yes, but from wasteful soccer moms, no. People old enough to read FMA will have to just buy it themselves.

EDIT: Spelling.

EDIT 2: Respelled the wrong word.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 27