• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka 7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Hey,I love the show but the reason I think it a Gundam clone is came from the same brand Gundam came from. Also, I did not know that there was a Mechs anime genre so I usally put the anime that was metioned in the Gundam clone genre.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Not at all, it seems to me to be much better than Gundam and far less formulaic. They're both mecha series, but aside from the use of giant robots they aren't that similar at all. Mecha isn't exclusive to Gundam and there are other mecha series out there that are far more similar to Gundam than Eureka 7. I'd say it's closer to Eva and RahXephon but even then it's still too different to really say they're that similar, more that they share a common story direction rather than follow the Gundam formula.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Besides, Gundam takes place in space primarily, while Eureka seveN uses mechas that surf on trapar. And there are no lasers.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think Eureka 7 is a rip-off of Evangelion, but that's just based on the fact that everything that has happened in the series has happened in Evangelion (more or less). Razz
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I personally disagree, aside from general similarities in the level of story depth I don't see that many similarities. Either way, it wouldn't matter to me anyways as I still find Eureka 7 did it better with a more interesting plot, setting, mix of genre and styles, artwork and definitely a much better cast of characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greennunu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Personally, I think Eureka 7 is a rip-off of Evangelion, but that's just based on the fact that everything that has happened in the series has happened in Evangelion (more or less). Razz

I agree with Keonyn... I find very little similarities between the two, and E7 is IMO the extreme greater of the 2.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

everything that's happened in ANY mecha series post 95 has happened in Eva more or less.

that or Ideon.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

everything that's happened in ANY mecha series post 95 has happened in Eva more or less.

that or Ideon.

pretty much. Rah-Xephon, Evangelion and Eureka 7 are all in the same lil family and all got a lot of things in common.

However if you asked me to the pick the best, that's a very opinion based question, but Evangelion gave me the most lasting impression after finishing it, which is also probably do to watching it first. Regardless, it still remains my personal fave of the few because of that feeling it gives the viewer as oppose to say, Rah-Xephon, that felt a lot more hollow (the action w/ mechs was pretty poor as well imo) in the symbolism, and Eureka 7 is a very well done love story with the best mech action scenes I've seen so far.
brollybg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
I have just 1 question?
Does somebody know the group or musician that plays the OP & EN of Eureka 7?
I really must know the names Very Happy
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
That information is in the encyclopedia if you really want to look it up. To answer the question though it really depends on which opening and ending since Eureka 7 has several over the course of the series. I assume you're likely talking about the first in which case, according to the info on the encylopedia, the opening is done by Flow and the ending was done by Kozue Takada.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Not at all, it seems to me to be much better than Gundam and far less formulaic.

If that's the case then why do I feel like every week I'm watching the same episode? Each episode goes something like this; Renton goes on an errand with a crewmember of the Gekko or he somehow gets separated from the Gekko (sometimes both), he will then meet an particular individual/get into a situation that shows him how childish he is, and then at the end he grows up just a little bit. That's my main issue with Renton as a character, I haven't seen any real growth within him as it seems to me he repeats his development in every episode. Also the other characters come off as being rather flat to me (I still don't know any more about them than I did when I saw the first few episodes). It would be better if every episode didn't focus so much on Renton (I understand he's the main character, but that doesn't mean other characters can't get a little more screentime in an episode).

Hisdon wrote:
Eureka 7 is a very well done love story with the best mech action scenes I've seen so far.

I find it diffcult to say that when there's so little of it. There's far better mecha action out there than anything Eureka 7 has presented (and it takes a little more than an Ide Complex to impress me). I don't see it as a great love story either (pining every episode doesn't count). If you want great mecha action with a good love story watch G Gundam (I'd also throw in GaoGaiGar but the love aspect is a little last minute).

Last edited by TranceLimit174 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

that or Ideon.

pretty much. Rah-Xephon, Evangelion and Eureka 7 are all in the same lil family and all got a lot of things in common.

However if you asked me to the pick the best, that's a very opinion based question, but Evangelion gave me the most lasting impression after finishing it, which is also probably do to watching it first. Regardless, it still remains my personal fave of the few because of that feeling it gives the viewer as oppose to say, Rah-Xephon, that felt a lot more hollow (the action w/ mechs was pretty poor as well imo) in the symbolism, and Eureka 7 is a very well done love story with the best mech action scenes I've seen so far.

Why does it matter if they do have things in common? Of course they might share some basic elements. If something works and is popular of course it will be emmulated. That's basic martketing for you. If something sells then use it until it doesn't sell anymore. That's just how it works. Now even if it does borrow frm other shows why should it matter? If you like the show it takes its ideas from you should be happy others like it enough to emulate it in their own works. I personally do not see the relation or similarities to Evangelion, except for the fact there are mechs in it. That's just me though. The comment that anything in post 95' series happened in Evangelion is not true though. There are plenty of mech shows with original aspects. The problem is once something has been done everything seems like a copy. You can't have 2 original ideas. Besdies, anything pre or post 95' can be said to be a rip off of Robotech (Macross), Gundam or Patlabor. Shoot, even Voltron was way before most mech animes. You should just enjoy the show for it's differences and similarities and judge it based on it's own merits, not anything they maybe have been influenced by another source.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

that or Ideon.

Why does it matter if they do have things in common? Of course they might share some basic elements. If something works and is popular of course it will be emmulated. That's basic martketing for you. If something sells then use it until it doesn't sell anymore. That's just how it works. Now even if it does borrow frm other shows why should it matter? If you like the show it takes its ideas from you should be happy others like it enough to emulate it in their own works. I personally do not see the relation or similarities to Evangelion, except for the fact there are mechs in it. That's just me though. The comment that anything in post 95' series happened in Evangelion is not true though. There are plenty of mech shows with original aspects. The problem is once something has been done everything seems like a copy. You can't have 2 original ideas. Besdies, anything pre or post 95' can be said to be a rip off of Robotech (Macross), Gundam or Patlabor. Shoot, even Voltron was way before most mech animes. You should just enjoy the show for it's differences and similarities and judge it based on it's own merits, not anything they maybe have been influenced by another source.

as far as these 3 shows, since these are the ones I'm talking about, I'll outline some of the things I saw when I was watching Rah-Xephon that made me think Eva, instantly. Eureka 7, isn't a big taker of this but I can see some similarities, while Rah-Xephon felt like a total Eva proxy to me.

Things that just jumped out at me about Rah-Xephon:
-First line Kamina (his first name just left my mind) says in the series, is "Well, I guess all is well in the world" which can be seen as an allusion to the inscription on the NERV logo which is something similar to the old god is in heaven saying.
-Quan is a total Rei clone in all aspects of her character, expect the fact she's usually in a happy mood. spoiler[ She is some-what emotionally attatched from the others and doesn't have a sense of humilty (like when she asked Kamina to fasten her harness, something her "brother" usually did for her and Kamina was quiet shocked about). She's not exactly humen, she's secretly Kamina's mom (Rei in comparison, was a clone of Shinji's mom), she's the key to some nut job's plan to bring about or become one with god, and to top it off, she plays the violen, like Rei. There's probably a lot more I could list, but it'd take me all day D;/]
-Kamina goes through a "Shinji complex" on and off throughout the series, however his are never as long as Shinji's was. I assume this was to make him more likeable to the audience, since no one really likes Shinji (well, you arn't suposed to, but yeah, not many people jump into EVA knowning that.)
-Haruka was to an extent liniar to Misato, except for the fact that spoiler[Haruka is Kamina's love intrest, while Shinji's wasn't Misato, she was more of a motherly figure to him] She even indulges herself in alcohol on and off throughout the series with Elvy, but it's nothing like Misato in the long run
-Elvy's braclet is identical to the medalion on Misato's necklace.
-The Dolums played a similar role as to the Angels in EVA, and even bled blue blood as the Angels did. (so did the Mulians)
-Meg wasn't a very liniar Auska but they were to an extent similar. Both were bossy, insecure, loud, and tended to annoy/comfort/seek affection from the protaginist. They also both had a thing for older men. D:
-SIDENOTE: In Eureka 7, Eureka's kids look like pre-school versions of Elvy's co-piolets, however that's not who they are based off of (is kinda ironic though)
-spoiler[Apocalyptic ending turned to new beginning through the protaginist's choice, however this seems to be the case in almost all mech shows O_o]

I could go on for a while, but I just noticed this is a Eureka 7 thread, not a Rah-Xephon thread so I think I should stop here lol :S
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If that's the case then why do I feel like every week I'm watching the same episode? Each episode goes something like this; Renton goes on an errand with a crewmember of the Gekko or he somehow gets separated from the Gekko (sometimes both), he will then meet an particular individual/get into a situation that shows him how childish he is, and then at the end he grows up just a little bit. That's my main issue with Renton as a character, I haven't seen any real growth within him as it seems to me he repeats his development in every episode. Also the other characters come off as being rather flat to me (I still don't know any more about them than I did when I saw the first few episodes). It would be better if every episode didn't focus so much on Renton (I understand he's the main character, but that doesn't mean other characters can't get a little more screentime in an episode).

You see, I'm not seeing that at all. Renton has only done a number of runs and he's definitely grown a realistic amount since the beginning. In episodes 11-14 there was some definite noticeable changes in Renton's character and some major pushes forward in the storyline. It hasn't felt that repetitive at all, so don't know what to tell ya.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
Eureka 7 is a very well done love story with the best mech action scenes I've seen so far.

I find it diffcult to say that when there's so little of it. There's far better mecha action out there than anything Eureka 7 has presented (and it takes a little more than an Ide Complex to impress me). I don't see it as a great love story either (pining every episode doesn't count). If you want great mecha action with a good love story watch G Gundam (I'd also thrown in GaoGaiGar but the love aspect is a little last minute).[/quote]

How far are you into the series so far? The later fight scenes were absolutely amazing. I can't even imagin the amount of effort put into coriographing them as oppose to other mech fights. They rivaled a lot of the Hellsing OVA fights (which have been simply Shocked so far) and I can't really think of many scenes that match up to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2