• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newly Liscensed Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if any of you have heard any news on anime that have been recently liscensed for the US. I figured we could use this thread to post about anime that we should keep a lookout for, due to it being recently liscensed, and also, to ask if a particular anime has been liscensed, yet. I guess, I'll start it off:

Does anyone know if School Rumble, Monster, Honey and Clover, Ergo Proxy, Blood+, Hunter X Hunter, and/or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya have been liscensed, yet? Do they (whoever is in charge of getting anime liscensed--I seriously don't know who I mean by "they"...LOL!) plan on liscensing any of them? Thanks.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Does anyone know if School Rumble, Monster, Honey and Clover, Ergo Proxy, Blood+, Hunter X Hunter, and/or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya have been liscensed, yet?

School Rumble (season 1, 2, and the OVA) is licensed by Funimation, Ergo Proxy is licensed by Geneon, and Blood + is licensed by Sony.

All of the others are currently unknown as to whether anybody will license them or not. If they are, you will see a news article on the front page. If you're unsure about whether an anime is licensed or not, you can always look it up in the Encyclopedia here.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble has been licensed at Otakon, I think -- by FUNimation. It's quite some time ago. You can find the news in the archives.

That includes both seasons and an OVA. Quite frankly, I'll have to publicly admit my criminality here and say that I've watched it and would definitely buy the whole thing, no matter how much it costs. I haven't laughed so hard at any shows in days; not even -- blasphemous, I know -- Haruhi. I personally wouldn't encourage others to watch at this point though: Media Factory requested a long time ago not to fansub it, and FUNimation also now license it, to boot.

No news on Haruhi yet. I wouldn't expect the American companies to pass that though.

And Honey and Clover... Sad
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
And Honey and Clover... Sad

Don't fret. If something as crappy as Samurai Girl Real Bout High School can get licensed, I'm sure someone would be willing to take something as niche as H&C. Judging from its popularity in Japan, I'd say it would be a fairly high cost.

I don't see this as the type of series for a Bandai or ADV (doesn't have enough action or fan service), so I'd say Geneon, FUNi, or even Media Blasters could get it. Heck, I wouldn't mind Right Stuf, but I think it's probably a bit out of their price range.

Viz, on the other hand.. Well, they're a more likely candidate for HXH. It'll be a while, if at all, because of the boom they made with Naruto and Bleach, but it could happen. But with FUNi having Yuu Yuu Hakusho (whose creator also made HXH), that could be a possibility too.

Monster just has Geneon written all over it, in my opinion. A dark, gritty, police/army/crime drama that's really long, but highly profound in its own sense and easily capable of standing alone. Not to mention, they already have another Shogakukan production in Master Keaton. I mean, if they can license Hajime no Ippo which is 76 episodes, a special, and OAV long, which by the way is listed in the Encyc. as having only half the amount of viewers as Monster, then why not?

EDIT: Omitted a sentence and fixed some grammar.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Much like Monster, HXH, and SHnY it's just a matter of time.

I am worried that if the movie (Monster) never makes it, then companies will probably lose interesting in this series. I mean if the series does get it's movie released by New line the I am fairly certain someone (Geneon PLEASE!) will take a shot at Monster.

caseclosedfan414 wrote:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

$$$$ That really all it comes down to, according to this it should be released in the US sometime next year. But really it's all about money, the series is making so much money in Japan it's going to be one of those series that lots of companies are trying to licensed.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Monster just has Geneon written all over it, in my opinion. A dark, gritty, police/army/crime drama that's really long, but highly profound in its own sense and easily capable of standing alone. Not to mention, they already have another Shogakukan production in Master Keaton. I mean, if they can license Hajime no Ippo which is 76 episodes, a special, and OAV long, which by the way is listed in the Encyc. as having only half the amount of viewers as Monster, then why not?

WOW, I never thought of it like that before! I mean... the Ippo correlation thing... I was fairly sure though that if anyone ever licensed the show, it'd probably be Geneon given that they're the holders of a bunch of the Madhouse productions released here in the US.

(and man... I need to get those Ippo DVDs soon... I'm hoping for a set, but if that doesn't happen soon, I'd better bite the bullet before the thing goes OOP or somehting).

Man... you just renewed my hopes for the future... just hope that Monster comes out soon though... the wait is killing me.

As for Haruhi... yeah, I hear it's all about the dollar bills... I really wanna see it, but I don't need to worry as it's pretty obvious that it'll be out real soon.

I heard a good theory that FUNi might get it... they seem to have the most money at the moment (FMP:TSR anyone?).

But... I'm just jumping to conclusions here.

Last edited by DKL on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
caseclosedfan414 wrote:
Does anyone know if School Rumble, Monster, Honey and Clover, Ergo Proxy, Blood+, Hunter X Hunter, and/or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya have been liscensed, yet? Do they (whoever is in charge of getting anime liscensed--I seriously don't know who I mean by "they"...LOL!) plan on liscensing any of them? Thanks.

Blood+ is licensed. Ergo Proxy is licensed. Haruhi, who knows? Hopefully soon, because it was a great series. Hunter X Hunter probably won't get licensed. It's been out there too long, and most people who have had an interest in watching it have downloaded it already. Therefore, most companies see it as a loss to license and distribute it. It's a shame really. It's such a good series that has, in a way, gone to waste. Right now, the only source of income it generates is from the manga and import DVDs (which not many poeple buy anyway), I believe.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

I am worried that if the movie (Monster) never makes it, then companies will probably lose interesting in this series. I mean if the series does get it's movie released by New line the I am fairly certain someone (Geneon PLEASE!) will take a shot at Monster.

There's supposed to be a film on the way? In the US or Japan? Anywhow, if my favorite company Geneon gets Monster, I'd be in anime heaven. Smile

As to the topic here's a short list of who's got what that I know of as far as recent stuff goes:

.hack//Roots (Bandai)
Black Cat (Funimation)
Black Lagoon (Geneon)
Bleach (VIZ)
Ergo Proxy (Geneon)
Fate/Stay Night (Geneon)
Hellsing Ultimate (Geneon)
Witchblade (Funimation)
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

There's supposed to be a film on the way? In the US or Japan? Anywhow, if my favorite company Geneon gets Monster, I'd be in anime heaven. Smile

As to the topic here's a short list of who's got what that I know of as far as recent stuff goes:

Here is the original announcement.....

And here is the news article on John Olsen being pick to adapt the manga, Olsen is well known for his Nominated adapt of History of a violence.

Yes it's suppose to be a US movie by New Line.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow I didn't know Monster was getting a U.S. adaption, I thought the movie was going to be Japanese. That's news to me.

I'll be looking forward to that, and will be seeing it in theaters as soon as it comes out...I love Monster.
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks, guys. That helps a lot. I've been dying to see those shows, but I'm not really into fansubs, so it's good to hear that they're all liscensed (with the exception of HxH, H&C, and maybe or maybe not MHS). I can't wait until these shows come out so I can finally see them. Very Happy

And, Kruszer, thanks for that list of other shows being liscensed. That's good to know, too, because I had actually wanted to know about some of those, but I forgot to list them.

I can't wait until Bleach and Trinity Blood begin airring on Adult Swim. I've been dying to see them. Very Happy
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

.hack//Roots (Bandai)
Black Cat (Funimation)
Black Lagoon (Geneon)
Bleach (VIZ)
Ergo Proxy (Geneon)
Fate/Stay Night (Geneon)
Hellsing Ultimate (Geneon)
Witchblade (Funimation)

OH yeah, there's something called ZIPANG too... TRSI just started shipping the DVDs...

I wanna check that out too.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
OH yeah, there's something called ZIPANG too... TRSI just started shipping the DVDs...

I wanna check that out too.

Zipang is an Excellent series. I was thinking about watching it before it got licesned, but decided to do it after the fact anyway because hardly anyone has seen it.

I'm not a history buff or anything, but after watching it, I felt pretty enlightened in a way to see all of the events unfold from a neutral Japanese perspective and all the character development and military drama in between.

In addition, I'd never seen a anime focused solely on this particular part of history (WWII), so that was a cool bonus as well. In fact, I like the series so much, I added a bigger, more detailed plot summary to the Encyclopedia entry, since the older just doesn't do it justice.

My viewing was well worth it, and I'd like to encourage as many of you as I can to buy or at least rent it and add your ratings to help spread its popularity a little.

I definitely plan on buying it and can't wait to view it with DVD quality video and Dolby Digital sound (great music and sound effects especially). I highly recommend this as a great historical piece and military drama without the word Gundam in it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I added a bigger, more detailed plot summary to the Encyclopedia entry, since the older just doesn't do it justice.

I made some technical corrections for you. Wink

Tony K. wrote:
I definitely plan on buying it and can't wait to view it with DVD quality video and Dolby Digital sound (great music and sound effects especially).

Sidenote: I found it strange that most American anime fans love DD or DTS sound. Me and my fellow fans here across the Pacific would only accept them when LPCM is not available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Sidenote: I found it strange that most American anime fans love DD or DTS sound. Me and my fellow fans here across the Pacific would only accept them when LPCM is not available.

Well, that's pretty much all that's available on a majority of the R1 DVDs around here (that or, Mono Mad). If I had the money and knew 2 or 3 of those foreign languages I'd definitley import, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2