• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Karin" ending a huge let down? NO spoiler tags

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papa john

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
NO SPOILER TAGS

i watched karin a few months back and i coulnt help but love it. after waiting through 1 episode a week to finally get to the last episode i expected something great from this series but i was let down. i didn't expect any characters to die and when karins grandmother dies i was surprised to say the least. i mean she should have lived. i accepted she had died, it happens, what can you do?

i dont know what happend, the final episode started out great but it didn't last. it seemed like some dream, i couldnt help but think "could this really be happening?" as one after another character after character that i loved died in front of me. karin lost her mother, father, brother and her little sister. "why are they killing off everyone on the last episode? this doesnt make sence"

at this point i started to wonder if the script had either been lost or burnt because the way the series had been "flowing" this was WAY out of character of the show. it had been about love, character development everything an anime should be and nothign perverted in the least. then all of a sudden youve got poor karin with a huge rack.. "what happend?!" inbetween episodes she goes from like oranges to grapfruits??? and for some reason her shirt breaks open.. it didn't show anythng but thats not the point.. they shouldnt have done it.. it would be like watching a kids show then the main character flashes everyone.. it just shouldnt happen and doesnt belong in the episode period. then for some strange reason they decide the entire family doesnt die and was only passed out so everyone is in fact ok.. and this was all crammed into like 10 minutes.

before watching the last episode i gave the series a excellent(9-10), but after the last episode i couldnt help but want to give a "good"(7-10) rateing but decided the rest of the show was still good so i gave it a "vary good"(8-10). and even now i wish i didn't watch the last episode.. i mean i could have made a better story up in my head that was ten times better..

so my thoughts on this are what happend? did the series get sold to some perverts who get off on ruining shows? was the building with the only copy of the show and the person who wrote it still inside at the time it burnt down? i personally just dont understand. id have to give this anime the amard for the biggest mess up of all time and the award for the worst ending in anime history.

does anyone know WHAT HAPPEND???
if youve seen this series do you agree or disagree?

i also still recomend people to see this series just pretend the grandmother doesnt die in the second to last episode then make up your own ending..

"what exactly is karin"?[/quote]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[Karin had been about love, character development, everything an anime should be and nothing perverted in the least. Then all of a sudden you've got poor Karin with a huge rack... "What happened?!" in between episodes she goes from like oranges to grapfruits??? And for some reason her shirt breaks open... it didn't show anythng but that's not the point... they shouldn't have done it... it would be like watching a kids' show, then the main character flashes everyone... it just shouldn't happen and doesn't belong in the episode, period.
Hate to break it to you, but Karin was all about the fanservice right from the start. Surely you saw the nude shots in the OP song? The episode where Karin Maaka and Fumio Usui work in that Chinese restaurant? Episode 9 (date with Winner at the pool), where Karin's bust size also shows "inconsistency" with the rest of the series? Episode 18, which tread dangerously close to shounen-ai territory? spoiler[Especially the enema bag that Karin gave Ren on assumption that Ren was having gay sex at the academy?] (Warning, do not read this spoiler text if you value your innocent soul Crying or Very sad) So, episode 24 was just the culmination of the fanservice for the final episode Very Happy
I agree, Karin had lots of love/comedy/character development, but hey, they've got to grab some sales from the pervs out there.
Overall, I'd say that Karin was too much of a light-hearted comedy to have so many characters killed and stay dead, so I'm not dissatisfied with the "miraculous resurrection" part of the last episode. I'd say the same about another certain (shounen comedy/romance/fantasy/action) series that kills off many characters and brings them back in the last episode. (If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about it, but I won't spoil the exact title here.) Coincidentally, many people call that series' ending one of the "worst of all time." I'd disagree--Karin's ending seemed very fitting to the mood of the series, and I didn't have a problem with it.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
I thought the ending was not only appropriate to the spirit of the TV show but quite funny, especially the revelation of what the ritual's real purpose was. (Which partly explains the inconsistency in breast sizes.)

Admittedly, I was a little disappointed at first when they brought everyone back, but as Zalis116 said, leaving all of them dead wouldn't have fit the tone of the show. (A bit dark and serious but never too much so.) Besides, they're all vampires, and everyone knows vampires usually don't die so easily. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Noggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought the ending was not only appropriate to the spirit of the TV show but quite funny, especially the revelation of what the ritual's real purpose was.

I agree. I probably laughed harder at that than at anything else in the entire series. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I didn't see that one coming.

When everyone was being "killed", I was actually half expecting the "it was all a dream" ending. So everyone just still being alive was an upgrade of what I thought was going to happen.

It wasn't exactly my favorite ending in the world, but it did atleast have the one moment that had to be there, Karin finally biting Kenta. So the last episode did it's job.

And just to repeat what's already been said, Karin didn't exactly have an A cup at the beginning of the series.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1