• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi, One of the best anime that I have ever seen?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Exclamation WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD Exclamation

I just finnished Episode 1, and I must say holy crap! After only one episode, Mushishi has already beat out gunbuster for my most beloved anime of all time! I could not belive how freaking awsome it was.

Whenspoiler[Ginko-san revealed that his "cigerett" was acctually a mushi, I was impressed.I also liked the explaination of the "Mushi", and I really Like Ginko-san. He is a very cool charcter. I think that his attitude and Voice acting are what makes me like him!] I really like were this show is going, and I hope that it will come over here, so I can spend my hard earned cash on the cool box set!

Has any one else out there seen any of this show?

-Curtis
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I've seen up through ep 23 or so, and yes, this show is absolutely one of the best anime shows I've ever seen, bar none IMO. Animation is well done, beautifully detailed, voice acting is very good, realistic and understated, writing is very interesting-- good dialogue, interesting metaphors and stories--, and the music is wonderful as well. The show's intelligent without being overbearing. Spirtually interesting without being new agey. I could sing it's praises for days.

It think the only reason a person really wouldn't like the show is that 1) it's rather quiet and restrained, not a real action piece-- although there are some great action sequences, and 2) it's all one shot stories.

I like my quieter anime, but I usually like over arching stories. Still, almost every single episode I've watched has been able to carve an engaging story and very interesting new characters out of only 22 minutes. I'm totally wrapped up in what's happening by the end of the show. It always amazes me. I keep on thinking I'm gonna be bored at some point, but it's just so well done. One of the things that this show does so well is that the mushi (these.... supernatural creatures, for lack of a better description, think.... odd Ghibli creatures from Spirited Away or Mononoke that are very attached to nature)... sorry, that the mushi are never the center of the show. It's always about the people, and their relationships, and how the mushi have become involved in that. Also, not all the eps are about the main character-- thus you really get a chance to hear the stories of all these other people.

Anyways, YES, this show is awesome. It makes me so sad that practically nobody is talking about it. It's getting downloaded a reasonable amount, and different blogs were chatting about it, but I never really hear about it on this board. Sad
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I had been watching Haruhi Suzumiya, and I thought that was one of the best anime that I had ever seen. IMHO it is crap compared to Mushishi. I really hope it will get a DVD relese over here. I did see that we are getting the Manga from Del Ray soon, so that makes me very happy! Unfortunatly I don't know when that will be so for the time being I will stick with my Fansub's. Rest assured that when/if we get an english relese I will be "all over that".
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi is the only anime I've ever rated a Masterpiece before watching the entire thing. I almost did it for Monster, but I wanted to see how things would end. In fact, I wanted to start a Mushishi thread after I finished it, but I think I tend to scare people off with my insanely large and detailed posts Anime cry.

But getting to the series, with Mushishi being episodic and possessing a peculiar aura altogether, I can say I really enjoy it on a whole other level compared to most anime with some kind of continuous plot.

The supernatural concept of mushi, their effects on people/nature, and all of the hidden meanings of each episode's story are a lot of fun to watch. The series itself feels a bit mystifying if you take into consideration all of the extraordinary occurences that happen and some of their end results.

I believe I heard Mushishi is supposed to be a horror title. And it shows, though it's very subtle, in some of the way these episodes end.

I agree it's not big on action, and I'm pissed that someone would rate this Worst Ever because the person probably thought "it's too boring." If that spammer is reading this, I hope you suffer the same fate as those fish in episode 12.

Anyway, I love every aspect of this series; the lush and exotic art, the smooth animation, the creepy music, and the solid voice acting.

And by the way, I once heard from steventheeunuch that FUNimation had bought Mushishi.tv or something like that, so chances are someone other than ADV will get this and not rename it "Mr. Ghost Buster" or "The One-eyed Medicine Man."
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

And by the way, I once heard from steventheeunuch that FUNimation had bought Mushishi.tv or something like that, so chances are someone other than ADV will get this and not rename it "Mr. Ghost Buster" or "The One-eyed Medicine Man."

That would really be a shame if someone were to compleatly ruin this show for an english relese. I called in sick to work today so I could go Internet camp and continue to get more episodes. Soon I will be on episode 2, I can't wait!

I have a question,spoiler[Why does Shinra's Grandma look like a child after becoming a Mushi?] I have to say, that really had me confused for a bit.

I really have to praise the music for this show, It is simply amazing, The opening Theme and Ending theme are two of my Absoulute most liked Anime oppening/ending's. I was wandering if there was any way I could Legealy Obtain the Sound Track?

-Curtis
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The supernatural concept of mushi, their effects on people/nature, and all of the hidden meanings of each episode's story are a lot of fun to watch. The series itself feels a bit mystifying if you take into consideration all of the extraordinary occurences that happen and some of their end results.

Anyway, I love every aspect of this series; the lush and exotic art, the smooth animation, the creepy music, and the solid voice acting.

Mushishi is probably one of the most beautiful series I have ever seen. When I'm watching it, I really get inspired to draw the incredible, and as you said, exotic Japanese settings. The animation portrays the mystical feel of the setting so well. I love Ginko's character and design; the Mushi designs are beautiful, too. I don't see how anyone can rate this Worst Ever, or anything under Very Good. (I've also rated this Masterpiece.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
I just finnished Episode 1, and I must say holy crap! After only one episode, Mushishi has already beat out gunbuster for my most beloved anime of all time! I could not belive how freaking awsome it was.

Whenspoiler[Ginko-san revealed that his "cigerett" was acctually a mushi, I was impressed.I also liked the explaination of the "Mushi", and I really Like Ginko-san. He is a very cool charcter. I think that his attitude and Voice acting are what makes me like him!] I really like were this show is going, and I hope that it will come over here, so I can spend my hard earned cash on the cool box set!

I felt exactly the same way after watching the first episode. Not only were the voices great, but also their appearance. The flow of the entire first episode was so unique and enthralling, I fell in love with the anime.

I remember watching it after viewing the second episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I was blown away by both of them. I think the character designs are similar to that of Honey and Clover. Maybe the character designs are not the same, but something just seems similar. I can't recall correctly, but I do know that when I saw Honey and Clover, I almost immediately thought of Mushishi.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
The animation portrays the mystical feel of the setting so well.

Maybe that's it. It was same with Honey and Clover. The animation definitely depicts the omnipotent feel of the setting very nicely.

Tony K. wrote:
Mushishi is the only anime I've ever rated a Masterpiece before watching the entire thing.

I'm LMAO! I did the same thing. What a coincidence. I can't specifically recall why, because it was so long ago, but I know, to be able that, it had to be one heck of an anime .

I can't wait to watch more episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of torn between an excellent and a masterpiece rating for this show. I've only seen half of it, but there's a few things that kind of bug me when watching it. I didn't realize what it was at first, but occasionally Ginko or the narrator directly lies to the audience, not out of misinformation, just outright lying (probably just to create tension). The other thing that bothered me a little was Ginko's absolutely infinite well of knowledge; as I find the idea of someone who knows everything and can solve almost any problem related to an entire class of life to be rather ludicrious. I would have been much more content if occasionally he ran across something he had never seen or heard of and had no information on when he had to figure out how to do what he can. Or even better if he ran across something he'd never seen before and just couldn't do anything at all due to a lack of information.

Am I the only one who seems to draw two very distinct stylistic comparisons? The first is that the execution of the style is extremely similar to Kino's Journey, both of them are EXTREMELY lethargic stories about travelers. Both are also episodic.

The other comparison is to Miyazaki's worlds. The art style and world almost seems like a version of Miyazaki's worlds brought together for an older audience (which, is in my opinion strictly better). I can't really describe this one as well... but I just get that feeling.

In truth though... those are all really very minor things. This is an absolutely fantastic series. It doesn't sound interesting from the description, but no description can do this series justice imo. The surreal feeling and absolutely beautiful artwork that reminds me very much at times of western Washington rainforests alone would make a fantastic series. Despite the episodic plots, the show remains extremely unpredictable, just another testament to the quality writers.

Although I don't care much for the character designs in particular. I find it extremely interesting that nearly everyone in the show in a given demographic looks nearly identical. I guess you could say that's how they all look to the outsider, Ginko Wink

This was the only show out of the spring season I still hadn't seen I think... and wow. I was absolutely blown away. I could not have expected less or recieved more. I guess thinking about it... it's not really a very hard decision between a 9 or a 10 Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
i just started watching this. It is very intriguing so far. One thing that I have noticed is that this show should not be taken in large doses, or the viewer will fail to appreciate it fully.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
(added to my to see list)

thanks for posting this, I was running out of things to put on it =)
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi is currently my favorite anime ever, and like the thread starter, it had me at episode 1.
ryokoalways wrote:
One thing that I have noticed is that this show should not be taken in large doses, or the viewer will fail to appreciate it fully.
I totaly agree with that.

selenta wrote:
occasionally Ginko or the narrator directly lies to the audience, not out of misinformation, just outright lying (probably just to create tension). The other thing that bothered me a little was Ginko's absolutely infinite well of knowledge; as I find the idea of someone who knows everything and can solve almost any problem related to an entire class of life to be rather ludicrious.

I find it extremely interesting that nearly everyone in the show in a given demographic looks nearly identical. I guess you could say that's how they all look to the outsider, Ginko Wink
I as well found it interesting that everyone looked so similar. I never thought of them looking the same to Ginko though; nice theory. I dont recall Ginko ever lying though. I also agree about Ginko's infinate knowledge being bothersome, although I sort of like it as well, since the mushi would be sort of hard to deal with otherwise.

Mushishi definately does many things right; great plot, scenery, music; The only thing that's not excellent in my opinion are the characters, but the situations they get into are good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
I have a question,spoiler[Why does Shinra's Grandma look like a child after becoming a Mushi?] I have to say, that really had me confused for a bit.

spoiler[ When she was still a child, she participated in the Mushi's Banquet, where the Mushi of the area took human form to serve her a drink on a Sakazuki (the little cup). They wanted her to become a Mushi because they had foreseen the birth of her grandson in another 31 years and that he would have a power beneficial to nature.

By drinking all of the Kouki (that river of life) they served, she would then become a Mushi and be able to watch over her grandson. However, that crow had interrupted the banquet and half of Lenzu's spirit was left behind, but that spirit form was neither human, nor Mushi. I guess you could call her a sort of ghost/Mushi hybrid. And being a ghost/Mushi, she didn't age all that time.

Eventually, Ginko figured out a way to utilize Shinra's (the boy's) power for creating things and made him paint the other half of the Sakazuki. And being the knowledgeable guy he is, Ginko then put the magically infused Sakazuki replacment back together and refilled it with Kouki, then had both Lenzu and Shinra drink from it to complete her transformation into a full Mushi.]

ryujin jakka wrote:
I was wandering if there was any way I could Legealy Obtain the Sound Track?

Here.

selenta wrote:
I would have been much more content if occasionally he ran across something he had never seen or heard of and had no information on when he had to figure out how to do what he can. Or even better if he ran across something he'd never seen before and just couldn't do anything at all due to a lack of information.

Watch episode 22. spoiler[ He runs across an unknown Mushi that requires some investigating and he nearly dies after encountering it firsthand.]

EDIT: Added a hyperlink.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I haven't found this show to be amazing at all. I really don't care how pretty something looks, so that's probably the main reason why I don't think it's utterly incredible. And then once you get past the visuals it seems like it's a fairly typical monster of the week kind of show. I suppose that part is done fairly well, but the pacing is too slow for my taste. Or rather, I don't mind slow pacing, like in Honey & Clover, where each episode leaves me wanting to see more. Mushishi, on the other hand, just makes me think, "When is it going to be over?"
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
...fairly typical monster of the week kind of show.

Well, the "monster of the week" comment is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't say typical. In essence it does just present a new Mushi to be dealt with by Ginko each time (successfully or otherwise...), but it does this so much better than other series that follow a similar pattern. Even after 24 episodes (all I've seen so far) the situations are still fresh and interesting.
Still, the lack of anything more than this is why I don't feel I can really call the show a masterpiece - although I did rate it excellent.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I for one am interested to see this show after all the praise, and the rather high ANN rank this show has gotten. Heres to hoping it lives up to the hype.

ryujin jakka wrote:

That would really be a shame if someone were to compleatly ruin this show for an english relese. I called in sick to work today so I could go Internet camp and continue to get more episodes. Soon I will be on episode 2, I can't wait!
-Curtis

Pray tell good sir, how exactly would an English release, which will undoubtedly be released with Japanese audio and English subtitles ruin this show?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4