• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi, One of the best anime that I have ever seen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to go back and forth about the ratings stuff anymore because that would just be stupid. My point is, though, that everyone has his or her own opinion. No one needs to like (or rate) something more than they do just because someone else thinks they should. You really like Mushishi. I think it's decent, but not the greatest thing I've ever seen. I'm willing to peacefully disagree if you are. Truce?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, not this discussion again. Look, people should rate things based on feelings. Spam voting is terrible, but to be honest if someone can come up with a half decent reason why they think Ikki Tossen is better than Spirited Away, then fine. I don't agree with them, but everyone can have their own opinion. No matter how good a show/film is, no one is going to agree on how good it is, and I'm not just talking about the idiots; the most critically acclaimed film of the last five years is probobly Million Dollar Baby, and even that has nearly ten percent of American critics saying it's below average. The only real reason why alot of classic films get almost univeral acclaim amoung modern critics is because of the weight of that "classic" title; you either love it or your a philistine. Neither this (no matter how much the film deserves universal praise) nor moronic spam voting is good. Just rate things based on your opinion and only your opinion, as long as it's reasonably intellegent. I too think some thing like Haruhi is exellent (I'm between exellent and masterpiece at the moment), but that doesn't mean people who don't share my optimism have poor arguments (I know several people who I greatly respect who think it's mearly ok and have provided valid points). And just like people spam vote against it because it's popular, there are plenty of "harutards" who refuse to accept anyone else's views. I suppose it's hard for me to make an argument about rating anime because I'm so very behind compared to manga, which is admittingly my prefered medium. Time to play some catch-up I suppose.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prosercunus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch this Anime and after struggling through 3 episodes I just had to turn it off, just not my thing I guess but I definently seen worse.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty fun show! Not as action packed as I was expecting but defently very fun to watch =)
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
if someone can come up with a half decent reason why they think Ikki Tossen is better than Spirited Away, then fine. I don't agree with them, but everyone can have their own opinion.

Since you used me as an example again, I'll say this: When I watched Spirited Away in theatres, I was bored less than 20 minutes into it. I kept watching of course, it is a Miyazaki production; but even after everything, I couldn't help but feel I was 10 years over the intended demographic and nothing in there appealed to me. I didn't really like the movie, and I would have probably rated it between a 4 and a 6 if I was rating entirely on my feelings at the moment when I finished it. However, after seeing it 2 more times, I was able to recognize the many things it does do right and saw that rating it anything less than a good would be misleading or plain wrong about the film as a whole. I rated it a 7, based on the many things it does right; the same I would hope people would do with a show like Mushishi (as opposed to rating it a 0 because they were "bored"), even if it isn't really their type of show. Some shows are simply made better than others, and I think the ratings should help to reflect that. That's all I'm really trying to say, nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: made my position a little more clear at the end
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
free2slap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
First of all, i think we shouldn't pursue this whole talk about personal ratings anymore since a moderator might come and close this thread just like they almost did with haruhi's.

Mushishi is already on my main list to be a perfect anime. Naturally a story with not too much development wouldn't appeal to me but the touch of environment that the anime sets forward really pull me in to love it. To be honest it wouldn't suprise me much if someone would come forward and say that they didn't like this show because relevantly the motion environment percieved within would might actually bore anyone who watches it. A positive factor why this show attract me is because i deeply find the mushis to be an overall interesting creatures and their involvement among the humans which brings a new information at every episodes really excites me. For now i'm just waiting Mushishi to get licensed and to put it in my collection because i really am addicted to this show.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, yes. I agree. Perhaps I came across too ardently. I'm just happy there's even a thread full of fanboyism about this show, where we all are mostly just gabbing about why this show is so wonderful. Frankly, I'm surprised as many people like it as they do-- it's not very mainstream at all. Smile
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
Frankly, I'm surprised as many people like it as they do-- it's not very mainstream at all. Smile

I was suprised as well. I did not expect to see it go this far! It really bits though because I am having a hard time seeing new episodes, It takes a while to get them. But once I see some more I am shure i will be back to talk about them!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
selenta: Ok, that makes more sense, and I'd have to agree with you on most points. As Roger Ebert once pointed out, you can't rate a superhero film the same way you rate Tokyo Story (I don't know if he used that particular movie, but it was the first one that popped in my head; and for those of you who think Mushishi is slow, good luck seeing that Wink ). But still, there's no way to rate something completely on it's merits, because ultimately whether or not you enjoy it is going to determine the rating. Obviously that doesn't mean people should give every single thing they dislike a 0, but you could have a series that's techally well-writen and directed yet comes of as being utterly terrible to you. Worst ever? No, but a 5 would be understandable even if certian aspects of the show were well-above average. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I'm behind on rating anime but in terms of manga I have yet to rate a series as "Worst Ever" simply because I don't think I've encountered it yet. As much as something like "Deus Vitate" sucks, I've seen things just as bad, which is why I gave it an "Awful" rating.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
Steve Berry wrote:
Frankly, I'm surprised as many people like it as they do-- it's not very mainstream at all. Smile

I was suprised as well. I did not expect to see it go this far! It really bits though because I am having a hard time seeing new episodes, It takes a while to get them. But once I see some more I am shure i will be back to talk about them!

It doesn't seem like a really popular show upon first inspection, I totally agree. But when you look at what else is popular... Mushishi is kind of like some beautiful combination of the worlds of Miyazaki (Sprited Away in at #2, though Mononoke at #8 is probably more similar), the plot, philosohpical aspects, and sheer storytelling ability of Kino's Journey (#15), the absolutely hands down best nature artwork ever, and one of the most relaxing and fitting soundtracks I've heard since Hack Sign. It's no wonder it's so popular when I look at it that way. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
The Music is one thing I have noticed about Mushishi. I agree that it is one of the most relaxing Sound Track's that I have ever listened to. The opening song, "The Sore Feet Song" Has to be my second faviorite anime theme. Next to Rewright( Asian Kung-Fu Generation). The ending Piano works are Really good too. I have been looking into Importing the OST for it but it is kind of expensive.

I can also see how it could be kind of Like something Miyazaki has done. That is part of what makes it so good.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Since you used me as an example again, I'll say this: When I watched Spirited Away in theatres, I was bored less than 20 minutes into it. I kept watching of course, it is a Miyazaki production; but even after everything, I couldn't help but feel I was 10 years over the intended demographic and nothing in there appealed to me. I didn't really like the movie, and I would have probably rated it between a 4 and a 6 if I was rating entirely on my feelings at the moment when I finished it. However, after seeing it 2 more times, I was able to recognize the many things it does do right and saw that rating it anything less than a good would be misleading or plain wrong about the film as a whole. I rated it a 7, based on the many things it does right; the same I would hope people would do with a show like Mushishi (as opposed to rating it a 0 because they were "bored"), even if it isn't really their type of show. Some shows are simply made better than others, and I think the ratings should help to reflect that. That's all I'm really trying to say, nothing more, nothing less.

Wow, I thought I was the only person (with halfway reasonable ratings) who thought Spirited Away was very boring and too "child like". Reading your comments on it, I felt exactly the way you did after first watching it. I did watch it a few more times and began to appretiate it a bit more. Spirited Away was actually my first Miyazaki film... but I wasn't particularly awed by it. Princess Mononoke blew me away though. Absolutely brilliant. Just like you I rated it "Masterpiece"...

But anyway, back on topic...

With all this talk about Mushishi, I'm definately interested in seeing it. Comparing it to Kino's Journey (which is an amazing anime) really makes me want to see it now. "Monster of the Week" kind of turns me away from it, but I'm an ex-Pokemon fanatic so who knows. I'll probably be seeing it sometime tonight...
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
you should see it. I do not agree with this monster of the week comment. However I have only seen one episode.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
you should see it. I do not agree with this monster of the week comment. However I have only seen one episode.

Well... the "monster of the week" comment is actually extremely accurate. Each episode does indeed seem to feature a new mushi, it just happens to be misleading in this case. Usually baddie of the week shows try to put in some sort of extremely cheesy over-arching plot (ex. Power Rangers or the majority of Pokemon) to try and justify reusing the cast and the mindless drivel that they attempt to call "episodes".

Mushishi however is similar to Kino's Journey in that the overall plot is: Ginko wandering around finding stuff. It makes no attempt to form some sort of long lasting plot (as it would be antithetical to the concept and attitude of ths show), and each episode is treated like a mini movie (in both quality and story).
Clodus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi is ranked at the very least my top 5 series. Funi finally released a live website of mushishi here. on there, i heard the voice for ginko and it sounds pretty dam good to me. i looked in the encyclopedia and the voice actor happens to be Travis Willingham which is same person who did roy mustang in FMA. i didn't like the voice for the little boy though :/ i missed the sore and almost like they are living in despair voice much better but i usually get acustomed to voices over time

1 more month til the release, cant wait. im already counting the days
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4