• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi, One of the best anime that I have ever seen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:
Pray tell good sir, how exactly would an English release, which will undoubtedly be released with Japanese audio and English subtitles ruin this show?

I believe he was referring to my jab at ADV about how it would be bad if they changed the title into something that would mislead or discourage the casual anime fan from trying it out.

I'm sure you know of ADV's renaming of Utawarerumono, and I was merely mocking them for the scenario if they were to license Mushishi and rename it something really generic or corny sounding, dub it in a crappy, artificial 5.1 track, then have stupid commentary from the English VAs about something off topic or nonsensical to the series Smile.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I would much rather see someone like Geneon get Mushishi. I have been pondering who would be chosen to play the charcters in an english dub, but I just cannot think of any sutible one having only seen two episodes. does any one else have any thoughts?

and by the way, I appriciate the CD website, Tony. Thankyou. Smile
Ragg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I still really don't get the plot about Mushishi, micro organisms and err... Can anyone pm or post here a quick run down of a better overview of this anime?
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
If you're looking for a summary or explanation of the plot, don't bother. It's one of those things that's easiest to explain by just seeing it. It's not a logical premise (then again, what shows are?), but it's dealt with very coherently and believably, which I think adds a lot to the show.

Just go into it expecting to watch an episode or two at a time, and be ready to take a nap afterwards Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
one3rd wrote:
...fairly typical monster of the week kind of show.

Well, the "monster of the week" comment is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't say typical. In essence it does just present a new Mushi to be dealt with by Ginko each time (successfully or otherwise...), but it does this so much better than other series that follow a similar pattern. Even after 24 episodes (all I've seen so far) the situations are still fresh and interesting.
Still, the lack of anything more than this is why I don't feel I can really call the show a masterpiece - although I did rate it excellent.

If the show continues the way it has after the few episodes that I've seen, it will probably only get a "Decent" rating out of me. I don't throw around high ratings very liberally though. Out of over 200 titles that I've seen in part or in whole, I've only rated two as Masterpiece and less than 20 as Excellent. I didn't even my favorite series (Full Metal Panic! and sequels) a Masterpiece rating.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
For those that don't really understand what Mushishi is all about, you really have to only take it for what it is.

There is no main plot, and there is no twists or anything. It's simply about people trying to live with Mushi, something that's not understood by most and how it affects everyone's lives.

IMO, since there is no real plot, there really isn't anywhere to mess up. However those who feel that a story must have a real plot might have problems with it. Personally, I loved Mushishi, because the stories are touching. Great art and music makes it even better.

If it does get licensed, I believe it'll keep the name Mushishi. I really don't see a reason for them to change it. Utawarerumono was just a bit.... too weird, and really didn't have anything to do with the plot or anything.
Ragg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Just go into it expecting to watch an episode or two at a time, and be ready to take a nap afterwards Wink

I'll take your advice and go for it
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
If it does get licensed, I believe it'll keep the name Mushishi. I really don't see a reason for them to change it. Utawarerumono was just a bit.... too weird, and really didn't have anything to do with the plot or anything.

"Bug Expert Chronicles"

Actually, in all seriousness, Del Rey licensing the manga as just Mushishi sets a good precedent if the anime gets picked up. The future anime licensor (whoever they are) will most likely keep the name so that they can cross-market.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
To the person who wanted to know more about what the show was about--

Ginko is a Mushshi-- an expert on dealing with Mushi. He travels from town to town, replying to requests for his help with these creatures. Mushi are a type of natural being- things very deeply in touch with nature-- that only certain people can see. They come in many shapes and forms. Sometimes they cause problems, sometimes they're more passive. Ginko helps people with their problems, and moves on to new towns. Think-- some "Black Jack" mixed with the detective work of "Columbo" mixed with "YKK" (or if you haven't seen that-- say, a deep sense of the power of nature). Almost all the episodes focus on people and their relationships and the emotional hurtles they can't get over. The mushi tend to feed off of these things. Thus, Ginko is at times both an emotional doctor, as well as a spirtual/supernatural one.

one3rd wrote:
If the show continues the way it has after the few episodes that I've seen, it will probably only get a "Decent" rating out of me. I don't throw around high ratings very liberally though. Out of over 200 titles that I've seen in part or in whole, I've only rated two as Masterpiece and less than 20 as Excellent. I didn't even my favorite series (Full Metal Panic! and sequels) a Masterpiece rating.

I don't throw around stuff like "Masterpiece" lightly either- but I have to say I still think this show is one of the best I've ever seen, and I'm sure I've watched over 100 or more titles. I don't really keep track, but....

I dunno-- it has great art, but that's not the only reason I like it (like someone hypothosized earlier); it has (to me) an absolutely wonderful soundtrack, on par with some of the best from Yoko Kanno or Hirasawa Susumu, but that's not the only reason I like it either. The production is good all over-- voice acting, etc. but there are other shows that are also very "high quality" that I never enjoyed half as much as this show.

I just don't understand how people can say that the characters are not very interesting, or not well written in this show. I admit that Ginko is largely a foil for other characters (kind of a Colombo type of character, plot wise), but I'm always so amazed by how well written the characters are, and how much development you can achieve in just 1 ep. There's a certain weight you get from having a continuous story over a whole season or two, and that elbow-room sometimes allows you to explore more complicated themes and topics more thouroughly, but I don't somehow dock Mushishi points for not being those things. It's not trying to be. In essence, it's a series of amazingly well-written short stories, and as that form, I've seen no better show.

I can see someone saying the show was too slow for them, or too quiet and meditative, or that there wasn't enough about Ginko as the main character (as the show's not really about him, per se), or that they wanted more re-occuring characters, or didn't' find the spiritual aspect of the show to their liking-- these are all matters of opinion or temperment-- but I have a hard time seeing how anyone could say that this show was anything other than a top notch production-- in re: to the script, acting, sound, art, etc.

Finally, I could see how someone might be turned off by the "monster of the week" aspect of the show, it's the formula they use. However, I still hold by my earlier statement-- namely, that this show is so remarkable in large part because it's totally unbeholden to that format. Mushishi is never about the mushi, the "monsters", and is always centered on the people who are involved with these other beings, particularly because the mushi often feed on/are drawn to a certain weakness of the characters. They're really, at the root of it, simply well-made metaphors and manifestations for the problems the characters are facing. I guess, to me, it's shows like Mushishi and Princess Tutu that demonstrate so well how a show can break the mold of certain genre, even as it plays by many of its rules. Because, in the end, I would never have described Mushishi as a "monster of the week" show, even though a arguement can be made that it is, structurally.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:

Almost all the episodes focus on people and their relationships and the emotional hurtles they can't get over. The mushi tend to feed off of these things. Thus, Ginko is at times both an emotional doctor, as well as a spirtual/supernatural one.

I don't throw around stuff like "Masterpiece" lightly either- but I have to say I still think this show is one of the best I've ever seen, and I'm sure I've watched over 100 or more titles. I don't really keep track, but....

I dunno-- it has great art, but that's not the only reason I like it (like someone hypothosized earlier); it has (to me) an absolutely wonderful soundtrack, on par with some of the best from Yoko Kanno or Hirasawa Susumu, but that's not the only reason I like it either. The production is good all over-- voice acting, etc. but there are other shows that are also very "high quality" that I never enjoyed half as much as this show.

I just don't understand how people can say that the characters are not very interesting, or not well written in this show. I admit that Ginko is largely a foil for other characters (kind of a Colombo type of character, plot wise), but I'm always so amazed by how well written the characters are, and how much development you can achieve in just 1 ep. There's a certain weight you get from having a continuous story over a whole season or two, and that elbow-room sometimes allows you to explore more complicated themes and topics more thouroughly, but I don't somehow dock Mushishi points for not being those things. It's not trying to be. In essence, it's a series of amazingly well-written short stories, and as that form, I've seen no better show.

I can see someone saying the show was too slow for them, or too quiet and meditative, or that there wasn't enough about Ginko as the main character (as the show's not really about him, per se), or that they wanted more re-occuring characters, or didn't' find the spiritual aspect of the show to their liking-- these are all matters of opinion or temperment-- but I have a hard time seeing how anyone could say that this show was anything other than a top notch production-- in re: to the script, acting, sound, art, etc.

Finally, I could see how someone might be turned off by the "monster of the week" aspect of the show, it's the formula they use. However, I still hold by my earlier statement-- namely, that this show is so remarkable in large part because it's totally unbeholden to that format. Mushishi is never about the mushi, the "monsters", and is always centered on the people who are involved with these other beings, particularly because the mushi often feed on/are drawn to a certain weakness of the characters. They're really, at the root of it, simply well-made metaphors and manifestations for the problems the characters are facing. I guess, to me, it's shows like Mushishi and Princess Tutu that demonstrate so well how a show can break the mold of certain genre, even as it plays by many of its rules. Because, in the end, I would never have described Mushishi as a "monster of the week" show, even though a arguement can be made that it is, structurally.

That is why I love it so much, It really does not center around the Mushi. Nor does it center around Ginko. Just the people and there relationship's with the Mushi.

By the way, If one Mushi is called a Mushi, Are two Mushi(s) called Mushi or Mushi's? That is just a little bit confusing to me.....Any hoo.

I don't understand why some of you have said that it has to be taken slowly I can sit and watch 3 or 4 episodes at a time with no problem. I guess that is just me though.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
ryujin jakka wrote:
By the way, If one Mushi is called a Mushi, Are two Mushi(s) called Mushi or Mushi's? That is just a little bit confusing to me.....Any hoo.

Well, Japanese, with a few exceptions, doesn't have specifically singular or plural nouns. So whether you're refering to one or several, just "mushi" would be used. As far as translating it into English, I'm pretty sure the accepted method is to keep it as it is used in Japanese, with the word acting as both the singular and plural forms.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm about a cynical as you can find when it comes to anime or manga, but Mushishi simply amazed me. I know that sounds cliche by now, but it's the honest truth. I had read the manga and liked it quite a bit, but even that didn't prepare me for how much I loved the show. The brilliant use of music, the quiet, almost subdued pace of the show that just draws you into the struggles on screen. Even the art and animation is great, though it doesn't quite capture the aura of the manga (I personally love the character designs). I simply can't understand how the label "monster of the week" can be used to describe it. Yes, on a surface level it's about Ginko's struggles to capture the mushi, but if you can't see beyond that then your completely missing the point. In my mind it isn't really a supernatural show as much an exploration of the human condition (in some respects it almost reminded me of the Kenji Mizoguchi classic "Ugetsu"). Even the "off" episodes were interesting, and the exellent episodes inspired pathos like anime rarely does. All in all one of my top five and a truly great show.
The news about the possible licence is great. I was expecting it eventually, especially after the manga got picked up, and I definitally wouldn't mind Funimation releasing it.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:

Yes yes... these are all very valid points, and very little to anything about this anime is low quality. However, there are always people who will hate anything, for often ridiculous reasons. That is the one thing I've learned from watching the Haruhi ratings. These were easily the two best shows of Spring '06 (with Nana in at third), which I can say after having seen virtually all of them, and yet still dozens of people will come out and either rate them low for really no reason other than that they heard other people love them.

While I think someone could justify Mushishi at a 6 (which I would have a hard time understanding for Haruhi), it's almost undoubtedly the lethargic pacing and the fact that they person wanted to watch an action show and was probably pissed that there's 30 seconds of silence and only one sword in the series that cuts through exactly one inanimate object (at least up to eps 18). Honestly, any anime fan rating this show any less than an 8 (maybe a 7 if they just hate all of fantasy) would make me really wonder how objective they're being about it. Although there are a number of episodes that are not quite as good as the rest, there are a few gems like episode 2 that are probably among my favorite single episodes of all time (I think episode 2 is my all-time favorite).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Honestly, any anime fan rating this show any less than an 8 (maybe a 7 if they just hate all of fantasy) would make me really wonder how objective they're being about it.

The very nature of the rating system is for it to be non-objective. I don't rate titles based on what everyone thinks, I base them on what I think. I certainly hope that ANN users aren't being objective about their ratings. If people attempted to rate objectively rather than subjectively, then the ratings would be worthless because it wouldn't be an accurate reflection of what people actually think is good or not. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I want to put this much effort into a response about ratings talking to someone who has rated Naruto a masterpiece. I think you'll find that ratings of 6 or 7 in my MyAnime list are not uncommon. In fact, I just added them up and out of 215 titles that I've seen in part or in whole, I have rated 96 of them either 6 or 7. If, in my opinion, a show doesn't do anything particularly exceptional, either good or bad, chances are, it will get a 6 or 7 rating. I don't find this to be unreasonable at all because they are still generally positive ratings.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
The very nature of the rating system is for it to be non-objective. I don't rate titles based on what everyone thinks, I base them on what I think. I certainly hope that ANN users aren't being objective about their ratings. If people attempted to rate objectively rather than subjectively, then the ratings would be worthless because it wouldn't be an accurate reflection of what people actually think is good or not.

I'm not sure where you pulled the assumption from my text that I was implying otherwise... but, for one I think your terminology is a little different. When I think "objectively", I think "does not take into consideration factors outside of the show", or "only looks at the content of the show being rated". I'm not sure where you got that definition of "objective" from though; because no matter how I look at it, that doesn't sound like the right definition to me.

one3rd wrote:
Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I want to put this much effort into a response about ratings talking to someone who has rated Naruto a masterpiece. I think you'll find that ratings of 6 or 7 in my MyAnime list are not uncommon. In fact, I just added them up and out of 215 titles that I've seen in part or in whole, I have rated 96 of them either 6 or 7. If, in my opinion, a show doesn't do anything particularly exceptional, either good or bad, chances are, it will get a 6 or 7 rating. I don't find this to be unreasonable at all because they are still generally positive ratings.

Um... excuse me?! Did you even look at my ratings past that show? I may be easily annoyed, but I'm not easily offended, good job. I've given out 12 masterpieces out of the 187 things I've seen and listed (2 of those to HxH Greed Island and 1 to the Hikaru no Go New Year special), I don't really give them out like candy. Although this isn't mentioned on my list, I've said in numerous other places that I've considered bumping down both Bleach and Naruto a rating or two simply for even having as much filler as they do, not that I wouldn't defend my rating atm. I see equally many inconsistencies and outright ridiculousness on your list. There is nothing you can say to justify rating Good Witch of the West as better than Voices of a Distant Star, or even on the same level as Lain if you ask me. Or how about Melody of Oblivion being better than Fate/Stay Night? Yeah right.

I don't usually rip into other people's lists unless the entire entire list looks completely retarded or they flame things just because they're popular. Why? Obviously people have different tastes, Naruto was a huge hit in every country it's been aired in; so if you're going to pick an example of a bad rating on my part, quite frankly you should choose again (seriously, go and see how many people rated it a masterpiece, maybe you'll realize you might just be missing something)(now see, my rating of Little Nemo might have not been as bad a choice). Quite frankly, I think you grade too hard, if you really think anime are as "decent" and "so-so" as you claim, I wonder what makes you keep watching. If it's a "good" show, it's a "good" show. If it's not even to the level of "good" or maybe decent (it better have something really good going for it), why even bother to finish it? Sounds like a waste of time if you ask me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4