• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires School Rumble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buuhan1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't surprised, I only saw the first few episodes of this anime and it seemed great, I still hear so much about it. Can't wait to see the rest.

And I pray Haruhi doesn't get licensed for alittle while more, yeah, its massively popular in japan and is reaching a large popularity over here but it just finished up. I don't want to see a rushed license for it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
A "rushed license"? How quickly something is licensed has nothing to do with how well it is actually released.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Why is everyone instantaneously jumping to Negima when there's mention of a FUNimation dub? Is everyone really that negative as to cling solely to one bad example and ignore the really good dubs FUNimation's done?

Because unfortunately we live in a "what have you done for me lately" society. It's the same way in sports.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
That's because something that someone has done recently is a better indication of what to expect than something they did several years ago.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Espeon wrote:
Well excuss me for being human Razz

My point - Some people watch fansubs then buy the show equals money and some watch the fansubs and don't buy the show life goes on.

It's just all the recent series i have collected have been gradually getting less and less impressive. I love voice actors and I'd like to be one my self but when it comes to listening to english dubs of stuff i have seen in english I and many other may no be impressed with it. I'd like to see the companies such as ADV, Funimation actually take information from the public befor they release it to the market. Just a little.

But thats just my idea's way what you like about it Razz

You're not being human, you're being lazy.

Some people do watch fansubs and then go and buy DVDs. I won't debate this. But it's hardly a majority of the fansub-downloading crowd, because for whatever reasons, DVD sales are declining. Part of this is to do with a lack of hype, some of it is to do with quality being on the fritz, but it's also due to internet piracy (and it's not just fansubs, DVD rips and .OGMs too).

How do you suppose they take information from the public? I mean, they already have plenty of forums where VA's post on, various companies are represented (Here, AOD, other places), so it's not like they don't make themselves known. You and someone else could be dissapointed, but be dissapointed for completely different reasons.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Why is everyone instantaneously jumping to Negima when there's mention of a FUNimation dub? Is everyone really that negative as to cling solely to one bad example and ignore the really good dubs FUNimation's done? No, FUNimation doesn't have a spotless record dub-wise, but they've done some really good ones, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Case Closed, Samurai 7, Spiral (minus Kanone, anyway...), Fruits Basket, & Kiddy Grade.

And what company has put out a bad dub that is still around? Umm, all of them. That's like throwing away a bag of peanut M&Ms just because one didn't have a peanut in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
I actually thought the negima dub was fantastic. Could someone tell me why they didn't like it?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
I just saw this, but this is probably one of the best things I've heard all week to get my thoughts off Answerman. Thank you Funi!!
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

FUNimation, a company I have long respected and admired as a pioneer and "friend of the common fan" in regard to their perception of entertainment salience and quality, picked the most *taboo* of shows, School Rumble.

Maybe you mean the way how in this series stereotypes some characters like Lala Gonzalez (IMO, she looks like a really bad Mexican stereotype for me, and I'm Mexican BTW.)
dreday33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Finally School Rumble gets some respect. Once again Azumanga Daioh is being overrated by so many people, its pretty sad to see, and as far as the whole lala being a bad mexican sterotype, it does not bother me, its just a show. (btw i am mexican too)
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Diedrupo wrote:

I seriously cannot believe you are actually serious about this. You, my friend, are the only person in the world who could possibly think that the licensing of a show is bad. I'm glad that people are making fun of you on 4chan as we speak.

I was going to be angry about that, but when everyone agreed with me, I had to sit back, open a coke, and give a nice long "Ararararararara!" as Anonymous. Smile

ACDragonMaster wrote:

Oh yes, because little fanbrats who think that jumping up and down and screaming "you should license this!!!!111!!!one!!" aren't a dime a dozen and posting that kinda stuff every day on Funi's own forums. Rolling Eyes

Blah, blah, blah. My humour was wasted on you, Schopenhauer.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Regardless, they did not authorize the copies, and they have every right to stop them if they want, because it belongs to them.

I agree, but see the "over reaction" bit if you have not already done so.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Fansubbing was a very integral part of the Anime scene, and back in the VHS days it did, for the most part, fuel the industry, because the industry was for a good part run by those very people who were fansubbing. Nowerdays, the proliferation of pirated material has grown, the Japanese are activley participating in the US market, and there are other avenues to which Anime can get exposure (websites that aren't fansub-centric like AOD or even ANN, Adult Swim/other networks, Newtype, Conventions etc), and those tend to be the more deciding factors these days. Fansubs have their uses but they do not carry the majority weight.

I disagree. In the modern economic world, stability is favoured over gambling. What I view as Geneon's unethical practice of pre-licensing anime and ADV's simultaneous release of English adaptations alongside the Japanese releases negate the "potential incurred damages" to profit from fansubs, but both companies take large risks that seem "old fashioned" in the new world economy. Ergo, anime companies are more resigned to live with the pirate scourage rather than take risky ventures on shows that might blow up in their face; ADV & Geneon continued to do such, which some might call bravery but I call stupidity. They're only hampering their own potential to aquire better pieces.

Regarding VHS fansubs...I was but a boy in that age, so I have little knowledge of the practice, but I will say that those types of subs sound expensive and difficult to make, not to mention they would cost money and seem pratically worthless by now. While fansubbing might have made Western waters more "receptive" to a show like Evangelion, I seriously doubt ADV could have predicted Western reaction based on the dubious and difficult to aquire knowledge of fansub proliferation. They looked at how Japan took the series and realized it could be a blockbuster.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

You're missing something here- some do. There are other groups, such as speed subbers and what not, who's only goal is to get things out for free, and before everyone else. The Internet is, believe it or not, filled with people who activley have adisdain for US licensors/ANYONE who tries to sell anime. I'm not saying it's more or less, but atleast I can admit that, whereas you're of the line of thought where they possibly cannot be.

They're in the vast minority; I know because I am among those individuals! I would rather One Piece not have an English translation if I feel it has been bastardized, but since one came out anyway, the best I can do is either lobby for better edits or denounce the series so as to incite disdain for reading. The latter is far more atrocious than the former (as my favourite author, poor as he is, remains even poorer), but it's much more difficult an objective to secure, so I end up engaging in a mix of both.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Yeah, I never said it was stopped completely. If one group drops something, another group will invariably go back and continue or restart it. However, I think we've come to a stage where fansubbing, paticularly digisubbing, cannot be used as the basis for a series license, because the ammount of people torrent it cannot be assumed to be the potential buying market (because inevitably, they will not all be).

Understood, but like the "mathematics" I apply in my political science writings, the number of torrents is used as an indicator to describe a behavioural phenomenon that cannot be measured. Since anime companies lack the vast resources conglomerate giants like Viacom have (to do original research), they're restricted to use obervable phenomenon; the internet is the best indicator of this.

As such, to cite a recent example, Utawarerumono was a consistently popular title during the last couple of anime "seasons"; ADV probably would not have known the title would work so well because Japanese expectations for the title were low, in spite of Haruhi debuting around the same time.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Same problem- fansubbing isn't always as integral as you make it out to be. Fansub audience /= DVD buying/TV watching audience. ***

True, but internet viewers constitute a good chunk of the holdovers during the licensing procedure.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Except they essentially have for some time, but this isn't due to them 'embracing fansubs'. No business in their right mind would endorse piracy of their products, but you should know that. However, if you do not take a stance against piracy, you're sending a message to your investors, sponsors, financial backers and what not that you're a weak company, that cannot protect it's own properties. Once you're perceived as that, then you begin to loose ground with others, and overall it's bad for business.

As I said, there's no need for advocacy, just feigned ignorance; all of the major anime companies have done such so far. Though we have no idea as to the internal machinery of ADV, Geneon, or Bandai, we've got evidence from 4Kids and FUNimation, and their losses appear to be incurred from the bear aggregate anime market rather from their individual practices.

We'll have to see what happens with Viz on this matter; they're the company I most clearly think of as taking a "blind eye", and though I'm no longer in the mainstream for a phenomenon-level anime pandemic, some of the influence has "trickled up" to my university.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

This is why companies do these things. It's not due to 'ignorance' or 'tyranny', it's called survival. You're right, you cannot stop piracy, but you do not have to give into it, nor are you short-sighted for trying to stop it. Personally, neither you or I can say why they did it, but from a business point-of-view I'd assume they would know what's best for their industry and company, regardless of whether you disagree or not (and still have no actual basis to stand on).

I've got some theories on the matter, but I need to hammer them out a bit; I have been spouting them out in haste as of late without fully thinking them through. :/

As an outline for later discussion (maybe), FUNi has been MF's prime buyer as of late, and the stuff animated under MF's supervision is usually connected to Kondasha in a way. It's all friendship, I guess.

Back on topic, I'm sure FUNimation licensed School Rumble because they saw potential in it as a best selling title. It *is* popular, and it *is* good (and frequently compared to Azumanga Daioh, which I did not like but many people did). FUNimation expects good business of that variety; there's no real negative effect to people in the west.

It's in the east where the "wrong signals" get sent. I see MediaFactory's actions as unnecessarily self-destructive. Anime may still be a niche after twenty some years, but the possibility of it becoming mainstream media always does exist. Through the suspension of fansubs, MF gets a delay in revenue return and takes an economic hit; if they think defeating western pirates is possible (it's not), they'll continue to dish out C&D's to the big torrent sites.

If this cycle continues (hear me out, now), MF will eventually go bankrupt as American potential profits are calculated in as expected revenue when a series is animated. Either that, or to cut costs, MF with authorize the studios it works with to use a limited budget for animating their projects, however "major" they will be; we'll end up with a rapid decrease of quality (not unlike Studio Deen) so that there's less incentive to purchase DVDs (of which re-watching plays a significant role in the purchase thereof).

The video game industry is experiencing a simmilar phenomenon, whereby generic games are being produced and yet people still buy them. As was the case with the comic book industry in the 1990's, what will happen when people realise, "hey, this game is a piece of crack"?

Bankruptcy! Since MF is (apparently) pretty tough with quality issues and they've yet to degrade, I would hate to see a publisher like that sink just because they overreacted to an unusual group of stupid pirates.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

In that paticular scenario, VA's cannot represent Viz, a licensing company. Subsequently, Viz could have assessed that even if people are downloading and pirating their product, you'd find a lot of people are buying the English manga and watching the English anime, without even having gone to Narutofan. Viz may have even taken action against them, it's just that neither have published what's going on (and Narutofan may have servers located within non-Berne Convention countries, therefore making legal actions useless).

In the case of the VA's, they may not be officially representing Viz, but they are the "unofficial eyes and ears" of the company. For comparison, officers in the United States military cannot publically criticise President George W. Bush's military campaigns, but they can speak through retired officers in media outlets; while there is no public connection between the correspondence of active and retired officers, the retired officers are symbolic representations of those current on the battlefield.

Furthermore, Viz is the largest of the animedia companies in the West; if they lack the capcity to halt illegal pirates themselves (remember your argument from earlier), legislators will be given all the more reason to "reset" the internet. It's not clear to me whether or not Viz has the power to attack Tazmo, but they're clearly (at most) ambivalent to his actions, and they have not been suffering any impediments to Naruto's popularity.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Just because one company does things their way, doesn't mean others have to aswell.

No, I disagree on that. Viz the hegemon is eating up all of the "most popular" media coming from Japan, and they're using every advantage they have to remain the West's largest animedia outlet. If they continue to grow, they'll be able to swallow the less popular anime/manga that FUNimation, ADV, Geneon, and Bandai have been (for the most part) forced to fight over after Viz gets "first dibs" on the prime material.

To maintain competitiveness (or remain "alive") the other companies must either follow Viz's example or seek original means of advertisement; this is how my sister was hired for FUNimation and (to a lesser extent) ADV.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Because Pierrot/Shueisha, and Media Factory, are completely different corporate entities with completely different mindsets. Viz and Co. Might have taken action against places, but they may not have publicised the details. Naruto's popularity is also not directly because of the fansubs, but because of it's actual child-appeal, it's CN run, it's manga run, etc.

I think Naruto's engorged popularity is a direct result of fansubs. stephen of manga-screener wrote a post detailling how exactly Naruto became big (my hand hurts so I shall not search for it), but to summarize, back when Naruto premiered, Bittorrent came out, "major mainstream media site" meant Toriyama's World, and certain individuals had vendettas against more popular titles.

I need not cite shows like One Piece or Zatch Bell with "botched" dubs, nor the outlier that is Bobobo to illustrate the power of advertisement; Yu Yu Hakusho, which is very simmilar in approach to Naruto (with the same demographic), recieved a great deal less hype during its numerous runs and was also advertised on far fewer mediums than Naruto. Viz threw everything they had at promoting Naruto, so it seems apparent that its media popularity (which has not yet reached DBZ status) only contributed, not sparked, the phenomenon.

In essence, the large internet swarm of interest served as a high springboard, and Viz took a running start before jumping.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Notice how a lot of anti-dub Naruto posts come from the people who've been following 150+ episodes of Japanese Naruto? You hardly think they'd 'understand the big corporate process' and 'support the show', now do you?

I think those people are just disillusioned by the show as a whole, since past the one fifty mark Naruto started to drag and eventually hit the filler season. I've been seeing fewer anti-dub protests and far more anti-Pierrot complaints as of late.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

You have evidence to prove Balogne. Don't assert that something happened when you can't back it up.

My "evidence" is the trend of recent licensed shows. Anime companies are not rich, so they cannot afford to burst their budget per year on a ton of shows (except Viz); they basically try to grab what they want first, then settle for the leftovers later.

Since FUNimation grabbed School Rumble first, that makes me think Ouran was not their highest priority; if it was, they would try to aquire it first. It's not as if companies have to wait for Ouran to get popular; it's already a rage as is.

Haruhi is the exception, as always, in this instance. Methinks Kyoto is requesting quite a purse from whoever seeks to license it.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

FUNimation have gone on record to say that one of the deciding factors in regards to their licensing desicions has been how well a show is doing in Japan, because they beleive popularity there, will mean popularity here. I honestly don't agree with it (see One Piece, Case Closed, etc), but that's how they work. If the series managed to get a sequal and two OVAs or so, it's a pretty big indication that it is popular.

That still does not answer the pending question, though; how popular is School Rumble, especially in relation to other double season shows like Rozen Maiden?

I myself can assert that Ouran is one of Japan's most popular animated shoujo titles, in the same league as Hana Yori Dango, Fruits Basket and Sailor Moon, but is School Rumble equivalent when compared to the "bars" for slice of life shows, Haruhi and Azumanga Daioh?

Any projected guess would be enough for me to put the license value into context.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Yeah, so it's popular. That's cool. But you're forgetting that just because School Rumble was announced instead of it, doesn't mean FUNimation cannot afford Ouran. Often companies can have licenses for properties, but haven't received clearance from Japanese licensors to announce them yet (which, this is shop talk, is the case with ADV and the new FotNS movies, but thats another issue).

You could even think of it this way- School Rumble came out before Ouran, so why not announce School Rumble first? Probably isn't the case, but it's a bit more sound than 'FUNimation cannot afford it'.

As I said earlier, the animation companies *do* have shallow pockets (except Viz T.T; ) and they try to go for the shows they especially want first. Since Ouran is in its first season, it appears more of a prospect than something with a definite following like School Rumble, but the point of the matter is Ouran is *known* to be extremely popular. If School Rumble wasn't licensed for such an extended period of time, chances are it still would not be picked up. The possible companies bidding for it would be:

FUNimation: aquired
Geneon: more focus on parent-company oriented material, less on manga-based shows in recent years.
Bandai: like Geneon, focused on parent-company oriented material through Sunrise, no real trend as of late for manga-based shows.
ADV: most likely rival, though they've avoided mainstream material like manga-based shows.
Viz: SR is Kondasha. I doubt Viz is large enough to eat a rival company's source material just yet.
Media Blasters: I do not know.

Since FUNimation has such, uh, "competition" for the show, why did they pursue it instead of a more "difficult" aquisition like Ouran? I would think it's because they couldn't, or didn't want to (Ragh, that reminds of of them giving back One Piece! Mad ).

Steventheeunuch wrote:

I may be under the guise that you're not actually stating these things as fact, but as opinion, but it's certianly coming off as you thinking they're 'fact'.

The last was in jest, but yeah, I'm not going to discount the possibility of FUNimation's long affair with shoujo manga resulting on the aquisition of Ouran. It just seems apparent to me that, despite MediaFactory's thirst for business, School Rumble couldn't have come off as cheap; it's still a popular, and large, property.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Wolf's Rain also was Bones, but went to Bandai. Bones produced the Animation for FMA, but it belongs to Aniplex/Square. But carrying on-

Right, and Eureka 7 went to Bandai as well, but it's primarily a toy company who uses anime to promote toys and is not really known for highlighting manga based material. GITS: SAC was more of an adaption on GITS the movie rather than GITS the manga.

Even then, BONES has no real strong connections to anyone else aside from FUNimation, who gave them a western phenomenon to compliment FMA's phenomenon status in Japan.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

That essentially proved my point. You made the assertion that FUNimation didn't have it, and weren't able to. Now you're saying that it's a 'struggle' between Viz and FUNimation, two of the largest, financially wise, US Anime companies? Make up your mind, PLEASE. Heres the original quote piece, with emphasis-

But then you say?

So it's 'obvious' they cannot get it, but then at the same time they're in contest with Viz to get it? If they weren't financially capable of getting it, don't you think, under you logic, that they wouldn't be able to get it even if they tried and shouldn;t even be considered in the running?

I should clarify. Viz and FUNimation, in my eyes, are the most likely candidates for Ouran High Host Club; if FUNimation couldn't pull off aquiring it as early as possible, instead devoting focus to School Rumble, that leaves Viz, the larger and more powerful company, all the room to devour the prospective gold mine that is Ouran. The metaphor for the bidding skirmish is still a tug-of-war, but for whatever reason (taste/lack of resources/affiliation) I think FUNimation lost.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

Ignored would imply 'no one would touch it', if FUNimation were the only ones who went for it. Also, in regards to popularity, once again, FUNimation, japanese popularity (which is what a lot of companies seem to base their licensing desicions on, well, the more influencial ones these days).

It looks to me like FUNimation went for it because it was being ignored. School Rumble would still be an expensive property, but less so than normal because of MF's lack of western business.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

There's not much in the way of research you can do about it. ANN made a report that was inaccurate, because FUNimation said variosu things, such as One Piece, would be making it's way across. ANN reported it as something like, 'FUNimation has aqquired One Piece'. It never showed up on their site. It never got mentioned anywhere else, on any other cons or whatever. news sites reported the same thing, based on ANNs reports. Then what happened? 4Kids got it. There was an 18 month or so blank (if I recall correctly) between the announcement, and when 4Kids got the series. Contract negotiations of this kind of thing are clandestine and secret. No one is supposed to know what's going on, therefore basically everything you hear would be heresay and rumours, which cannot be relied on for accuracy or truth.

Officially, that's all we know, but there were numerous editorials that were "dug up for me" (notably by a certain GreatSaiyaman777) and there was a large discussion on Arlong Park regarding the issue.

What we've determined from the weird set of events was that FUNimation likely did aquire One Piece and something between Toei and them lead to a retraction of the property. My personal belief is that FUNimation, which has been increasingly moving away from "extra-long series" anime as part of its evolution as a respected anime distributor, decided to give up on the OP property; apparently, some of the VA's at FUNi were prepping to start work on it.

GreatSaiyaman777 predicted that, in light of FUNimation not getting the license (or giving it back), the only prospective company to aquire One Piece would be 4Kids, which occured as he said.

In hindsight, much of his logic was flawed; Toei and 4Kids might have become "bed buddies" by the time the OP license became a subject of interest, but that does not erase Toei's relationship with FUNimation (though I would disapprove, FUNimation could be to Toei what Viz is to Shueisha and Shogakukan) and their history.

It would appear to me that FUNi bit off more than it could chew with Cased Closed (a huge series with enough popularity to warrant a hefty pricetag) so that One Piece was out of the question.

Steventheeunuch wrote:

HAHAHHAAH

Yeah, you're right. None can see eye to eye with my views! Razz

Steventheeunuch wrote:

No, you don't. You assert things without any kind of backup, nor do you use any sense in any argument what so ever. You've got no idea on how media industries or businesses work, nor how people go about protecting their own things.

It's my rhetorical style; I prefer to say something trollish, incite criticism, and then rebuttle backed with evidence. I always have some sort of background whenever I open my mouth without citing anything; I simply refrain from speaking so as to rally up some discussion.

Also, while I may not be an expect, I do have training in political and economic analysis. However, I have very little time to research everything I talk about with hard data. This is what I do for fun, afterall.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
http://www.schoolrumble.tv/

Lance Heiskell
Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
edit: NOTE MALINTEX TEREK, if you want to continue this argument, reply with two paragraphs illustrating the first point because this is utterly insane and I'm repeating myself OVER AND OVER because you CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE ISSUE (any of them)

I am now going to kill myself.

(I'm not Gatsu, so I'll rebuttle your arguments as an single one)

Send a C&D letter is not an "over reaction", though. If they were to try and say, press legal charges against everyone who downloaded, that might be considered an over reaction, because the ammount of finance you'd then have to pour into lawyers, foreign lawyers, and all of that, would severly outweight the benefits.

What sort of ethics do you stand by, I have to wonder? It's a luxury item in a consumer market, so by denying people something they never had a right to is, ultimatly, not unethical. So you don't get your preview, or it's not as available on the fansub circuit. Everyone with a lick of sense KNOWS you have to go further for these things, and if they don't, then it's not like they wanted to be into it for very long, because if it's not easy to get, then it's probably not worth 'investing money', which is also time, into it. Of course that can't be said for everyone.

I've also got to ask what position in the market you stand in that makes you privy to the internal ongoings of both Japanese and U.S companies? Sure, Geneon have done investments and prelicensed a good stock of series, but ADV haven't made very much in the way of simultaneous releases. Grrl power? On top of that, it was a one-shot to begin with. ADV and Geneon, while they haven't always made sound desicions (not very many companies can attest to having 100% track records), have been in this industry for years. I'd say if they're going to make an investment, they'd have a better idea if it's going to succeed than some arm-chair commentator.

You can't assert these as being bad financial desicions, because you simply do not have the appropriate figures, statistics, and numbers to know.

In regards to VHS fansubs, the subs did cost money, and people did invest money and time into buy OVA series, finding VHS recordings of TV series, sitting down with Amigas, subbing them, spending hours replicating tapes. They didn't do it as a permenant means of filling the void of commercial releases (though there's a scant few that actually do, but that's another story). That isn't to say that shows like Evangelion's licensing were influenced by fansubs, but at the same time you can't assert that Naruto was made popular by fansubs, because it naturally did so well in Japan anyway. Naturally, America did become more exposed to anime, moreso than back then, and more series reached that sort of popularity.

But enough about VHS.

You can't prove one way or another that it's either in the majority or the minority, but there are reasons why I do think that there are more than you think. Nearly every fansub-related internet site, every anime site, the ones who have forums, will definantly garner a small or larger group of people who absolutely will not buy DVDs, because they believe-

1. The idea of dubbing in general voids the 'authenticity', or something like that, even if the japanese track is available
2. The subtitles 'aren't right'
3. The price is 'unjustifiable' despite a lot of anime still being niche, and generally expensive thanks to the boom.

This is essentially why current Anime/Manga distributors have to turn away from pleasing fansubbers, because there's so many different groups of people to please. You yourself argue that One Piece is receiving unreasonable treatment. I, on the other hand, don't mind it. Someone elsewould object to there being translated suffixes. Others would complain that the word "nakama" is being translated. How exactly do you draw the line that pleases everyone? The truth is, they can't. This is why Japanese companies are often lauded as being "the good guys", or "promoting culture etcs" as you put in the Manga forum. Their market is HUGE, because it's Japan, a country that has grown up with thousands of Anime series, tens or hundreds of thousands of manga volumes. Their prices can be low, and they don't have to worry about translation, or appeasing people who want it in a 'certian' way, because they're essentially being sold, from our perspective, a 'pure' version.

The internet can be an indicator (if you want it to be, but as I keep saying, it can be VERY inaccurate), but you'd be an utter fool to base business desicions solely on what you get from it. Utawarerumono may have been licensed by fansub demand, but we'll never know, and with the industry vehemently decrying fansubs, I wouldn't assume for them to be hipocritical.

Internet demand is very very tricky. Remember when Shaman King and Yugioh came out from 4kids, uncut? People lobbied on the Internet for these releases, but when they finally came out, they were cancelled afteronly a few volumes because they sold miserably. How the internet portrays itself, and how people perceive the internet, can be hugely different (for example, without emoticons, you might not be able to tellif certian things I or others say are actually sarcasm, or stupid beliefs). Subsequently, one person will say Sk/YGO uncut sold badly due to low sales, but another person will say it sold badly because it had crap subtitles, low episode counts, nonsense chapter stops and an attrocious dub. If FUNimation or whoever else licenses (or announces, if clearance hasn't been given to the appropriate party at this time) Haruhi, it won't be based solely on it's gigantic internet popularity, rather because it was hugely successful in Japan, on DVD and TV. Subsequently, companies can see products that dont exactly live up to expectations in Japan, but could possibly find greater success towards a US audience (on TV, through advertising, whatever else. One example would be Hellsing!)

As for internet viewers being a large chunk of holdovers in licensing procedure, I need you to take a step back. Apart from Malintek Terex, I have no idea who you are. Therefore, I can't for a moment believe you actually know how these licensing procedures work. Are you part of a company that deals with Japanese entertainment moguls? do you work in the Anime industry from an industry POV? Basically, I'm saying "prove it", but you can't because as far as I know, there is no evidence to say that there is.

In regards to feigned ignorance vs. advocacy, I’ve already given you several reasons why Media Factory would have taken action. I’ll break them up into points.

1. Failure to take action can result in a loss of faith from investors who believe their product is being ‘stolen’, and Media Factory, having been contracted to produce consumer ‘products’ for the sake of making profit, are not showing the ‘commitment’ investors want to see in regards to handling piracy. Note that you don’t always have to hear about a company taking legal action against a site, because due to proceedings or legal advice, they may be advised not to publish the issue until the time is right/if at all
2. Because businesses all work differently. The Anime industry, for all of it’s companies, all work and operate in different ways, and on different scales.

What you said in regards to FUNimation getting School Rumble in your last post, about FUNimation building a relationship with Kondasha and MediaFactory, I have to pretty much agree, and it’s a good, sensible point. But saying School Rumble is something FUNimation see’s potential in pretty much contradicts your original stance of saying “FUnimation picked up a straggler” and that “FUNimation cannot be taken seriously”, even if they have picked up such a large property.

But you’re still pounding the same rhetoric which isn’t set in stone- that the profits MediaFactory generate, through American licensors, do not nessecerally come from those who would download fansubs. We’re also going back to the point made before this, in that different companies work in different ways, and Mediafactory may have had many reasons as to why they do what they do.

MediaFactory have been around for some time, have produced several hits (Count of Monte Cristo, School Rumble) and will always be able to make a profit in Japan, for as long as they continue to make successes in the Japanese market. The rest of your point sort of doesn’t add up based on that, because from what I can see, Gankutsuou has sold really well, and School Rumble is poised to aswell (forgive me for not remembering other series that may or may not have hit stateside).

As for what the future holds for Media Factory is entirely up to them and the Japanese market. The US Market has helped the Japanese market get back on it’s feet in a few ways, but if the US market were to go (and denying fansubs would not be the cause to destroy it) the Japanese would find another revenue stream and limp on.

I’m really objective to the use of serious, real world events in comparison to Japanese comics, but I’ll bear with it. VA’s are paid to voice a cartoon, and maybe do publicity, but they are in no way the ‘unofficial eyes and ears’ of a company. Sure, they could tell the company about piracy but it would be treated in the exact same way anyone else telling them about it would go- it’d get processed, and considered.

They could lack the capacity to halt legal proceedings, and subsequently they could also not. You could be right, they might simply not care about Narutofan, not seeing it as any kind of threat. Naruto’s popularity in the west is also mostly dependant not nessecerally on the Internet, but via CN and merchandising, but as we don’t know the internal workings of the companies involved, we can’t say much on the issue nor prove it one way or the other.

Because of Viz’s higher standing pretty much proves companies can and do act differently, in different circumstances. But whether viz eat up everyone else is not the issue, so please stop trying to drag your vendetta into it.

Evidence of mass advertising, popularity in Japan, ability to merchandise and generally easy-to-access animation and style had more to do with Naruto’s popularity than Toriyama’s world or anything else every could have. Sure, Naruto’s Bittorrent popularity might have draw thousands of people towards being fans of the Japanese version, but they are not the ones nessecerally buying the Mattel-based merchandise or more importantly, watching the Cartoon Network broadcast, which is what makes Naruto so successful in the US from a financial and business point of view, not unauthorized copies in a different language.

Yeah, you don’t need to cite those shows like One Piece or Zatch bell, because they are not the issue, neither is Naruto, actually. But lets go- One Piece in general looks weird and is unrelateable, Zatch Bell is in a similar situation, Bobobobo is off-the-wall and non-sequitors and is entirely unmarketable anyway, YYH is older and a bit more ‘plain’ than Naruto.

But I’m still not getting how this is exactly a precedent for all anime, because Naruto is a very particular thing (it’s a giant, kid-friendly merchandise machine, not a more obscure show like School Rumble).

But to finalize the issue, You have what, 200-300k people downloading Naruto? Yet it pulled nearly a million viewers on CN? Wouldn’t that sort of indicate theres a larger majority getting into Naruto because of CN, because even though fansubbers have downloaded that many times, they wont nessecerally watch the TV version (3 years behind, English dub, etc).

Again, because FUNimation announced school rumble before ouran, didn’t mean that they hadn’t paid for school rumble months ago, and haven’t already paid for ouran

When a show hits OVA, sells well (I do not have figures) and then gets a second season approved, it means it’s popular, since the general trend as far as Japanese shows go is that “you get an allotted amount of episodes, but we may or may not cut that down”. Very rarely so they actively ”increase” is. Sure School Rumble is possibly not Ouran level popularity, but it’s still popular enough.

Rest of that point is still filled with inaccuracies but we’re getting to that. On top of that, they might be shallow, but we still not know how “deep” they could be, so we can’t assert what they nessecerally could or couldn’t afford, because announcements don’t always lead up to being JUST licensed.

Oh and
“GITS: SAC was more of an adaption on GITS the movie rather than GITS the manga.”

Gits: Sac was actually more of it’s own creation. It borrowed from bits of both, but it’s in now way an actual ‘adaptation’.

Also remember Viz’s stake in profits, Anime wise, lie more towards Shonen series, and they do not have as much of a good track record as FUNimation, but it’s all shop.

Now about GreatSaiyaman777, I’m going to ignore that argument since you used his ‘logic’ to back your argument up. Why, might you ask?

Take a look on DBZOA and in an article called “Naruto Take 2” I believe. He makes the assertion that I AM GEN FUKUNAGA. So you’ve got two choices because I’m absolutely sick of writing this-

1. Either accept that I am Gen Fukunaga, and I know what I’m talking about
2. Realise GSM777 is full of crap, and realize your argument here is utterly invalid

Let me know when you decide. I’m sick of repeating myself.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:

Naruto and Genshinken are fine examples of how fansubbing can swell demand for a show. Ironically, the latter show is a product of MediaFactory, the same people who did School Rumble; why did they try to put a stop to a good thing?

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, there was that little debacle called the Akane Maniax DVD ep. 1 release. In poor judgement, some English language fansubbers released DVD ep. 1 prior to the Japanese DVD release and totally pissed off Media Factory leading to our problems today.

I also believe that Genshiken had finished its fansub release prior to the Akane Maniax issue and the Media Factory response.

So if you want to get mad at someone, then get mad at those fansubbers who caused this mess in the first place.

One thing that's easily missed in the Akane Maniax debacle--sure, it was poor judgement on part of the fansubbers to put out the episode before the DVD release. However, it begs the question, how did they get the file in the first place? MF clearly had some internal problems if those files were being leaked to the Internet before the street dates, and they've made the fansubbers the scapegoats to cover up their own issues.
It seems that most of the series covered in the original MF C&D's will make their way over here, with KgNE and now School Rumble licensed. Of course, it all goes to show that you can't stop piracy, you can only make fans angry--I don't know of any MF series that was actually dropped in full--the better-known, ethical fansubbers and one major torrent link site took them down, but some series like Noein were completed in spite of MF's announcement and US licensing.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Actually, about Saiyaman, he doesn't really seem to think Eunuch is Fukunaga anymore.

http://animecauldron.com/dbzuncensored2/editorial/rebutal.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5