• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shakugan no Shana (TV) (all seasons + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
(note: I haven't seen the movie, and I probably won't until it gets released in the USA, but who knows)

I thought we already got to see Alastor's true form in the last episode of the first season? Or at least get some idea of what he is like. I thought maybe they showed his silhouette but I might have imagined it. I'm guessing he's some humongous demon or satanic/devil looking dude.

I agree that the final battle with Friagne was pretty lousy in the anime. Some of the scenes were disjointed and did not make sense. And when he lost in the end, it made no sense. It looks like he is suddenly about to win...then suddenly Shana gets mad and charges in the for n-th time YARGH! except it randomly worked that time and that was the end of Friagne. Wink Shana seems to win half her battles that way though, throughout the series. Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay thanks, reason I ask is because I had already downloaded half of it and then thought better of it...but since it's a recap I don't think I'll have much trouble. Shana was one of those series I wanted to see since the trailer on one of my other DVDs looked good. However, I was just collecting too many series on DVD at the moment to bother with it.
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
This was an interesting bit of cut and paste. It added some things from the first novel that the series never touched on, spoiler[like Yuji being able to see the pulsing of the torches. ] However it also adapted a few things from the series, and then went out of its way to make characters fit where they didn't appear before, like introducing Margery Daw without Rami the corpse collector. And it did it all without making the whole thing look like a big collection of ill fitting pieces.

I also liked the suspense it was able to build up at the climax. It definitely did that much better than the series. It actually used some parts from the novel and made it looked good. I wasn't really expecting the movie to go back and reintroduce some of the things the series left out but it did them very well. I especially liked that spoiler[Yuji is a lot less useless than in the series].

Although I think they could have pretty much left Yoshida out completely. There was really no point in any of her parts at all, none of it spoiler[got any screen time in the important parts and there was no resolution or even mention of it at the end]. It was just space filler. That screen time could have been used instead to build up the real plot more instead of distracting from it and making the early part of the movie drag somewhat.

But I did like the movie. The ending made up for the lagging moments at the beginning and the final battle was a lot more exciting than it was in the series or the novel. I'll definitely buy this if/when it comes out in the states.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
At the top of a very short list of new anime this year that I have been looking forward to is the sequel to Shakugan no Shana. The first episode starts as what appears to be a typical Shana opening. However we soon figure out, just as Yuji does, that this is a bit too typical. Yuji starts to spoiler[realize he is stuck in a world where things seem to be repeating themselves and it appears that he is the only one affected. Villains they faced and defeated in the past, like Friagne and the incestuous siblings, seem to be resurfacing and no one else shows even a hint of awareness. In the end the culprit is defeated (or is she?) and things seem to be going back to normal, but under the surface is this sense that things are gonna keep being strange for times to come.]

It actually turns out to be a really good episode. The story is a little more complicated than anything that happened in season 1 but judging by this first episode it looks like this Shana series as a whole might be evolving into something potentially even better than it already has been. This will definitely be a series I'll continue to watch.

Anyone else into the new Shana?
ElementSun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
Definitely. I thought the first episode was actually a pretty nice recap of the major events in Season 1 while also effectively introducing new elements that we would see in season 2.

It was actually very nostalgic watching the first episode but I hope we get to see more of Yuji actually doing something than being totally worthless combat-wise.

I don't like how spoiler[they made Shana deny her confession though =/]
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
ElementSun wrote:
Definitely. I thought the first episode was actually a pretty nice recap of the major events in Season 1 while also effectively introducing new elements that we would see in season 2.

Hmm.. I didn't think of that at all. Instead of a plain recap show or a quick recap review before the episode they combine it into the new storyline and kill two bids with one stone. And it works much better because we don't get an annoying recap episode or opening 10 minute segment. Works for me.

Quote:
It was actually very nostalgic watching the first episode but I hope we get to see more of Yuji actually doing something than being totally worthless combat-wise.

Novel Yuji is a really helpful guy. When I finally had a chance to read the first novel I couldn't believe that they made him so useless in the series despite his true role. The movie actually does a good job of showcasing his helpfulness too. And I hope this second series continues this trend because useless Yuji is really annoying. I kept hoping Shana would just cut him in half at some point during the first season.

Quote:
I don't like how spoiler[they made Shana deny her confession though =/]

Even if it happened they couldn't just give something like that up in the first episode here. Wink
Hideki21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Well what can I say, right from the very beginning the new intro theme song pulled me in. I love the new rock feel to it, and I like how they kept the whole "turning gears" theme from the first opening intact.

As mentioned above, the "recap" of the first season was done in a pretty creative way, which never got boring. I still got a chuckle when Shana spoke English in the classroom. Razz

It seemed to play out much the same as the episodes of the first season, which is a good thing! It still has a good mix of action and romance. With spoiler[the Ball Masque supposedly planning more evil deeds, as well as the new guze no tomogara (who I don't think we've seen the last of)] I'm definitely looking forward to the next episodes.

Graphically, the animation looks just as great as the first season (I love the fiery effects on Shana's sword and hair). And while Noizi Ito's character design might not be for everyone, I really like it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to the OP again Very Happy
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm mixed on the first episode, personally. The animation was great, as was the new OP and music in general. But, I felt that they wasted too much time with the "recap," which was pretty boring if you ask me. I wanted new material, not more spoiler[Friagne and the those disturbing siblings]. On the other hand, it was pretty clever in the long run, and I really like this new villain so far. I can't wait for the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Although I really liked the new OP and thought the first ep was an interesting idea, I was not overly impressed with it. Had more of a "same-ol' same-ol'" feel to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Had more of a "same-ol' same-ol'" feel to me.

Yes, I felt the same way. Although I am liking this new villain so far, I do agree that the first episode didn't really feel particularly fresh in comparison to what we've already seen in the first season of Shakugan no Shana. Or perhaps after having a great experience reading the first light novel (due to the fact that it gives the reader quite a nice look into the characters' minds), I've come to expect a bit too much from the anime? In any case, hopefully things will make a turn for the better.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a semi-interesting, but all in all it seemed like the whole episode and this plot line were geared to spoiler[keep the whole unrequited love square thing going, since it seems a lot of writers (especially for action anime) have no clue what to do once they bring the two main characters together. I mean, seriously, he didn't hear her? How retarded is that, talk about milking something because you're too afraid of actually writing about serious relationship stuff and want to keep it to trivial crap.]
Other than that, not too bad, but I was really annoyed at the obvious cop-out they took.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
ElementSun wrote:

Hmm.. I didn't think of that at all. Instead of a plain recap show or a quick recap review before the episode they combine it into the new storyline and kill two bids with one stone. And it works much better because we don't get an annoying recap episode or opening 10 minute segment. Works for me.

I agree. At first I thought it was gonna be a recap, so I was almost ready to stop watching but somehow things were different so I decided to continue. It reminded me a lot of the terms, and the enemies they faced in the first season, as well as the character relations, but at the same time there were new interesting things.

I really like the music too, but I'm not sure if I like it as much as the first season's music.

EDIT: Forgot to mention how I wasn't thrilled at seeing the twins again.. brrrr
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote
The ending for the first season of Shana I'm 99% sure was an anime original arc and was probably done for some sort closure, in case a second season was never given the green light.

Now there is 15 light novels for Shana out with more on the way and I have no idea how much the first season covered (trying to avoid spoilers). So I'm guessing the "confession" was way too early in the overall storyline with the novels taken into consideration.

Now they changed quite a few things around in the anime during season 1 and with the novel author now part of the staff. I see this first arc as a chance to get things back on track with a reset in the Yuji/Shana relationship. I'm pretty sure they will address the big Yuji difference very early on as well, the OP definitely indicates that.

Anyway the first episode was a lot better than I thought it was going to be when I heard it was a recap of the first season. It was done in an interesting way and got things off to a nice start for this season.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode. I share the general sentiment that this wasn't quite an impressive start -spoiler[using random events from the last season felt quite redundant to me ]though it's quite understandable that it was necessary since it all seemed to be part of a bigger plot, the few next episodes will determine that.

The music is quite solid and I liked the new openning and ending themes, they both are an improvement over the forgettable ones used in the second half of the first season.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
The ending for the first season of Shana I'm 99% sure was an anime original arc and was probably done for some sort closure, in case a second season was never given the green light.

They might have fiddled with it a bit, but I'm sure the arc itself was in one of the novels.

As for the episode, it was alright. I'm not the hugest Shana fan, but tis alright and the first episode of the new season was nice and I'll certainly continue watching it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18