• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honey and Clover II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
Well, in Morita's defense... it's hard for me to root for him because even though most description says the main characters are Takemoto, Morita, and Mayama. Other than HaC2 there was little known about Morita, not to mention no part of the anime put us in the mind of Morita at all. I can't help but think morita really is a minor character. What happened in EP 10 when he sad those words to Hagu, I think most avid drama watchers would figure those lines would be comming from him, with a possiblity of it comming from Takemoto... I thought he would because of what Mayama said to him about the money... but when Morita showed back up I knew it was over. Although I don't like Hagu much(minor character as well in my book... just not as minro as Morita), I think I just want Takemoto to hook up with her because through the course of the anime I think he "earned" it... but I guess that's what makes HaC so addictive is that it reminds us life isn't fair.

P.S. I hope Morita dies.
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Greennunu wrote:

P.S. I hope Morita dies.

Morita was such a great character in Honey and Clover (I), but I think they have gone a bit overboard with his seriousness. The makers of this show are purposely doing that, however, so you can ejoy the finale. I can't wait for it but I don't want it to come at the same time. Plus they made a mistake when they said it was 13 episodes (actually 12!!!). Well anyway, cheers!, to my favorite anime ever.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
Well, I was nerding around the website checking out the encylopedia, going through the voice actors for tenshi na konamaiki, ne thing lead to another and I was on the HaC2 casting, and realized there is 2 names for Takemoto the original for eps 1-11, and someone else for 12... I can only think the 2nd one will be a future version of Takemoto where it shows him retelling the past..... omg im getting so antsy... I want more HaC!
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Greennunu wrote:
I was on the HaC2 casting, and realized there is 2 names for Takemoto the original for eps 1-11, and someone else for 12... I can only think the 2nd one will be a future version of Takemoto where it shows him retelling the past

I don't think so. I mean, that's a pretty nice theory, but look at the facts: Takemoto's voice throughout the series (i.e. all of the first season, and the first 11 eps of season 2) has been Kamiya Hiroshi, who is 31 years old.

For your theory to work, the voice listed for the 12th episode would have to be someone with an "old" voice, but it's not. It's Nojima Kenji, who is 30 years old. I don't really think his voice is significantly more mature than Kamiya's. Of course, he may have talents I am not aware of, but it seems unlikely on the face of it.

No, my personal guess is that, for some reason, recording with Kamiya Hiroshi became impossible near the end of the second season, and Nojima was brought in as his replacement.

Now that you've drawn my attention to this (and thanks for that!) I shall be listening carefully during the 12th episode.

- abunai
(whose favourite character throughout the series is and always has been Takemoto, and who thinks that people who spend their time hating Mayama or Morita or whoever have somehow stepped into the twilight zone)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Greennunu wrote:
I was on the HaC2 casting, and realized there is 2 names for Takemoto the original for eps 1-11, and someone else for 12... I can only think the 2nd one will be a future version of Takemoto where it shows him retelling the past

I don't think so. I mean, that's a pretty nice theory, but look at the facts: Takemoto's voice throughout the series (i.e. all of the first season, and the first 11 eps of season 2) has been Kamiya Hiroshi, who is 31 years old.

For your theory to work, the voice listed for the 12th episode would have to be someone with an "old" voice, but it's not. It's Nojima Kenji, who is 30 years old. I don't really think his voice is significantly more mature than Kamiya's. Of course, he may have talents I am not aware of, but it seems unlikely on the face of it.

No, my personal guess is that, for some reason, recording with Kamiya Hiroshi became impossible near the end of the second season, and Nojima was brought in as his replacement.

Now that you've drawn my attention to this (and thanks for that!) I shall be listening carefully during the 12th episode.

- abunai
(whose favourite character throughout the series is and always has been Takemoto, and who thinks that people who spend their time hating Mayama or Morita or whoever have somehow stepped into the twilight zone)

Nojima Kenji's voice is pretty similar to Kamiya Hiroshi, as seen in BECK, where Nojima Kenji voices Taira. Taira and Takemoto's voices are pretty damn similar, although, just for the part (I'm not sure, Taira is the only voice I've heard Nojima do), Nojima has a bit of edge and attitude in his voice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Yes, Kamiya was injured in a traffic accident on August 7th. They'd recorded as far as Ep 11 at the time.
vroenis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Just watched ep 11 - what an episode!
Reading everyone's comments, I've actually always loved Morita, because as charismatic as he is, he actually has a lot to learn, and this ep really had a lot to teach him. It's been coming since things picked up with Kaoru, but it's all come to a head. I always felt that his story would ultimately be about him finally growing up as he actually is the eldest out of the group (bar Shuu of-course).

I really liked how things wrapped up between Hagu, Shuu, Morita and Takemoto. I feel that the truth is that spoiler[neither Takemoto or Morita could have fully taken care of Hagu, made her happy, and in turn been made happy by her. Morita has high aspirations for his talent and lacks the patience and dedication it takes to truly love Hagu, and Takemoto is growing into something of a wandering spirit, and is keen to join the crew who restore shrines, meaning he will travel often. While Takemoto may very well be able to love Hagu, he's an extremely introspective spirit, and I think the lesson for him in Hachikuro has been experiencing his youth, including the bittersweet twists and turns of love, which ultimately he will take with him as he goes and lives his daily life. I actually felt that these themes were fairly evident very early on, even in the first season, and I'm in no way disappointed that the closing chapters of the series haven't resulted with a pairing with either Morita or Takemoto. While my most favoured characters are Rika and Mayama, with Nomiya and Yamada coming in second, I knew that the story with Hagu at its centre would have less to do with romance and more to do with maturity, growth and dedication.] Just my take on things.

Only one more episode to go! I suppose the movie is still in theatres in Japan and is nowhere near a subtitled DVD release yet...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greennunu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
vroenis wrote:
Just watched ep 11 - what an episode!
Reading everyone's comments, I've actually always loved Morita, because as charismatic as he is, he actually has a lot to learn, and this ep really had a lot to teach him. It's been coming since things picked up with Kaoru, but it's all come to a head. I always felt that his story would ultimately be about him finally growing up as he actually is the eldest out of the group (bar Shuu of-course).

I really liked how things wrapped up between Hagu, Shuu, Morita and Takemoto. I feel that the truth is that spoiler[neither Takemoto or Morita could have fully taken care of Hagu, made her happy, and in turn been made happy by her. Morita has high aspirations for his talent and lacks the patience and dedication it takes to truly love Hagu, and Takemoto is growing into something of a wandering spirit, and is keen to join the crew who restore shrines, meaning he will travel often. While Takemoto may very well be able to love Hagu, he's an extremely introspective spirit, and I think the lesson for him in Hachikuro has been experiencing his youth, including the bittersweet twists and turns of love, which ultimately he will take with him as he goes and lives his daily life. I actually felt that these themes were fairly evident very early on, even in the first season, and I'm in no way disappointed that the closing chapters of the series haven't resulted with a pairing with either Morita or Takemoto. While my most favoured characters are Rika and Mayama, with Nomiya and Yamada coming in second, I knew that the story with Hagu at its centre would have less to do with romance and more to do with maturity, growth and dedication.] Just my take on things.

Only one more episode to go! I suppose the movie is still in theatres in Japan and is nowhere near a subtitled DVD release yet...

I have no doubt most of the watchers of HaC series, already knew that this anime is about growing up and maturing rather than who gets the love in the end... we are just simply wanting our favorite character(s) to "win". I didn't know EP11 is out, my pants got wet when I read that.

I can't seem to find the Hachikuro movie at any theaters near me, I want to watch it un-subtitled as part of my learning japanese... but I suppose I will need to find a subtitled version eventually to get the full enjoyment out of it.
vroenis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
Fair enough, but I suppose I don't really view even my most favoured characters and series in this way in respects to winning. In Hachikuro especially, all of the characters always win, even when they think they aren't. I have to laugh at myself, of-course I was absolutely rooting for Mayama from day one with Rika and I suppose I got my guilty pleasure out of what resulted between them, but I was still well prepared for things to turn out differently. I suppose I'm just quite receptive to the characters learning whatever lessons life has for them, even if it's painful for them and in turn for me should I identify with what they're going through, which I must add happens a whole lot in these series'.

A few weeks ago the film charted in at #8 on its box-office release in Japan, hence I'm guessing it'll be ages yet until there's a subbed release available. Innocence: Ghost in the Shell 2 was released in non-subbed format first, then some months later in an international subbed version which I purchased, so here's hoping the Hachikuro film will be similar.
frouella

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 11, I have to admit that I wasn't expecting that particular development in the Hagu saga (i.e. spoiler[that she chooses to stay with Shuu-chan]). After reading some other forums, though, I discovered that there were some very different views about spoiler[what kind of relationship they would have, and additionally what Shuu-chan actually meant when he yelled out the window to Morita that he loved Hagu.] So I'm curious to find out what people here think about that little development. And no fair acting all smug if you've already read the manga and know what's going to happen! Razz
Greennunu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:19 am Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
After watching episode 11, I have to admit that I wasn't expecting that particular development in the Hagu saga (i.e. spoiler[that she chooses to stay with Shuu-chan]). After reading some other forums, though, I discovered that there were some very different views about spoiler[what kind of relationship they would have, and additionally what Shuu-chan actually meant when he yelled out the window to Morita that he loved Hagu.] So I'm curious to find out what people here think about that little development. And no fair acting all smug if you've already read the manga and know what's going to happen! Razz

Hmm... well that turn in the story wasn't want I expected at all ether. Seeing how Hagu replied to Morita's question, I don't think Hagu had anyspoiler[romantic feelings for shuu, and probably only thought of him as a bigger brother.] As far as what Shu feels spoiler[I definitely thinks he loves her(in a romantic way), but it's harder for him to say it to her face to face. He would also probably be happy for her if she chose someone else as long as she's happy.]

1 ep left, and I'm still rooting for Takemoto.
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote
Ok now I'm reallllyyyy confused. Isn't Shuu Hagu's uncle? And Shuu is a teacher, and is much older than most of them. So when he said "yes I do love her" (or something of that sort), why was he blushing? Correct me if I'm wrong please. I really want to clear this up.

Last edited by BlooDrAgOn on Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'm pleased with episode 11. spoiler[I'd been rooting for Shuuji for quite some time. He just seems so lost without Hagu, and he was the only one that ever truly made her at ease or happy. I mean, remember the first 'date' (if you will) with Morita? She was absolutely miserable, and immediately went to Shuuji to make things better. And as for Takemoto, aside from declaring his love for her at the festival, he's always just watched her from afar in many ways, just observing her and always thinking "There isn't anything I can really do for her..." It seems Ayu is the only one that actually figured out (through Nomiya's help), that to think that way is to leave a good person very lonely.

I'm personally not certain that Hagu is even capable of a romantic relationship, at least not at this time. And while I do believe Shuuji (regardless of his biological relationship with Hagu) does have some romantic feelings for her, I think things will continue on as they are--he'll continue to take care of her and help her bloom into what she wants to be. He's simply unselfish that way, and even if he never has a romantic love that he wants, I think he'd be happy, as long as he could make his most precious person happy in the process.]

That's just my view of things. If episode 12 turns it all on its head, well, nothing I can do about it.
vroenis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
I'm with you on pretty much everything you've said Mylene; especially spoiler[on the point of Takemoto watching Hagu from afar. The lessons that Takemoto and Morita have to learn in Hachikuro II won't be fulfilled in the establishing of a relationship. They both have things to learn in regards to love, many things including what it takes to truly commit to someone, what it takes to place someone else's importance before your own and yet still feel fulfilled and achieve things for one's own self. I'm also with you in regards to Hagu not being ready for a romantic relationsihp at the moment, as with the two boys, she is in a very different point in her life. I kind of sensed towards the middle of Hachikuro I that most of the romatic ideas would be explored through Mayama and Yamada and their respective interactions with other characters, and that Hagu, Takemoto, and Morita would experience a lot more in the way of growing up. What I particularly like about that is that Hagu seems the youngest, and yet Morita is the oldest, and he still has a lot to learn about maturity.

On the issue of whether or not Shuuji's feelings are romatic, I suppose I have two main viewpoints on this. The first is that in a sense it's not so important to me to have this spelled out for my own gratification, but a bigger part of why I feel this way is that like many of the relationships that are portrayed in some of the better artworks (including anime), the kind of love Shuu feels transcends the necessity to have a clear distinction between romantic love and familial or friendship love. This is actually something I've felt strongly before in my life; when you love someone so much that to be with them is such a great thing, whether it be as their romantically involved lover, or a deeply intimate friend; it doesn't matter which. Something akin to this is what I see in Shuu's love towards Hagu, and in that sense and in some strange way, I 'trust' his character with her, not only to physically care for her, but to love her and facilitate any kind of love she will have for him. Hagu (like all of the cast) is a deeply complex character, and will take someone extremely mature and dedicated to nurture her, but also someone who can accept and understand the love she will have for them.]

Alright enoguh, otherwise I just won't stop.
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
BlooDrAgOn wrote:
Ok now I'm reallllyyyy confused. Isn't Shuu Hagu's uncle? And Shuu is a teacher, and is much older than most of them. So when he said "yes I do lover her" (or something of that sort), why was he blushing? Correct me if I'm wrong please. I really want to clear this up.

As far as I know, Shuu is Hagu's father's cousin, which would make them second cousins, I think. So they're practically not related.

As for the age difference, yeah, it's pretty considerable, but it's not like Hagu's jailbait or anything. She was 19 at the beginning of the series, so she's got to be in her early twenties by now. I figure Shuu is in his mid to late 30s, so while there might be a 10+ year difference in their ages, it's not exactly unheard of.

Truthfully, it doesn't bother me one way or the other if Shuu and Hagu get together romantically at some point; I just don't know if Hagu is emotionally ready for that kind of thing yet. 'Cause you know, she's fragile and stuff. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5