• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honey and Clover II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The first season of Hachikuro had one of the best OP/ED theme combinations I've seen in any anime. Can't comment much on Hachikuro II, but apparently they got Suga Shikao to do more insert songs, and have kept YUKI and Suneohair for the new OP and ED songs, respectively.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a fan of Yuki. I cringe every time I hear her voice - ever since first watching Kenshin. However, her song from the first season really started to grow on me, and now I actually *like* this most recent one.
I've liked every one of the ending themes so far too. I like the way they have a small scene in the middle now. Actually, was this present on the first series?
The inserts rock as well - they really fit in well with the story. I wish more shows had this.
SomeVito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Honey and Clover actually made me a big YUKI fan tracking down and importing some of her old Judy and Mary CDs. I wasn’t a big fan of Fugainaiya originally, but it’s growing on me (maybe in part to the PV) and I like how it’s a bit more rocking than Dramatic. The animation for the OP does seem a bit boring when compared to the last two though. On the subject of the new ED, I like the song, not as good as Waltz, but maybe better than Mistake. I rather like the animation with the silhouettes and like the little preview as well.

I was wondering how everyone stands on pairings. The only real pairing I’m really hoping to happen is Mayama and Yamada. I think in part do to Yamada showed strong feelings for Mayama, and also Mayama showed some concern for Yamada. spoiler[I think the scene where Mayama carries Yamada on his back and she confesses to him in tears and he just sort of goes uh-huh, so as not to hurt her too much just stands as a great scene for me and made me want them be together.] Unfortunately, these last few episodes seem to make this pairing seem to be less achievable. I really don’t have any real opinion on the whole Morita, Takemoto, and Hagu subject. I like all three characters, but Hagu has shown some concern to both guys, but there really hasn’t been a scene or big moment that makes me really pick either guy.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
Okay, it hasn't been a month since someone posted in this thread, so I'm going to go ahead and revive it. I hope that's okay...(that is the general guideline, isn't it? Sometimes I've seen TK/Nagi mention 1 month, other times a couple of weeks...)

Anyway, I was wondering if people are continuing to enjoy the show, given that discussion kind of tapered off. This season certainly seems to have taken a darker edge than the first two, and personally I'm preferring it. Before, I didn't feel there was enough character development. They were all introduced, and at least superficially given some sort of interesting characteristic (obsessed love, strong crush, amazing talent, weird behaviour, and a really long bike ride), but there wasn't enough depth there for me.

But now, so many background stories are being told, and I'm highly intrigued. However, more than anything, I'm curious about that scene at the end of episode 7. spoiler[Talk about taking a sudden right turn into to darkness. Is it accidental? Intentional? Attempt at suicide? Just cutting? ] For the first time, I'm actually truly anxious to see the next episode of this show.
jedirabiz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is Mayama = Stalker
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:21 pm Reply with quote
jedirabiz wrote:
All I have to say is Mayama = Stalker

True but I found episode 4 amazing, like really amazing. Same with episode 7 because spoiler[ it's the first time you learn about Morita's past.]

There's only one thing that bothers me. If you listen before Yuki's music starts playing (where the word Animation goes onto the screen) you can hear backmasking. If you don't know what backmasking is, it's something that sounds like giberish, but playing it backwards makes the phrase(s) litterate. Some examples- http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm - very disturbing
frouella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
But now, so many background stories are being told, and I'm highly intrigued. However, more than anything, I'm curious about that scene at the end of episode 7. spoiler[Talk about taking a sudden right turn into to darkness. Is it accidental? Intentional? Attempt at suicide? Just cutting? ] For the first time, I'm actually truly anxious to see the next episode of this show.

Yeah, no kidding. I don't even like Hagu-chan, but I'm at least curious to see what that's all about.

It's interesting to find out that I'm not the only person who thinks Mayama's behavior is borderline creepy, but what might be even creepier is the fact that he's my favorite character. Yikes, what's that say?? I guess I'm just a sucker for angst (and that's hopefully it).

I like where the story is going with Nomiya and Yamada, too, but I really think she needs to stop with the boo-hooing and move on already. Though the part with spoiler[the unicorns] was one of my favorites! Anyway, I'm definitely going to keep watching this series!
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:
Mylene wrote:

Yeah, no kidding. I don't even like Hagu-chan, but I'm at least curious to see what that's all about.

I'm not sure how I feel about her. On the one hand, she physically reminds me of a roommate that I detested (although much less troll-like than the roommate). On the other hand, I can complete relate to the way she reacts in large groups and basically several of her pyschological issues. Perhaps it's because of that that I don't like her--I don't like seeing myself in a character that closely.

frouella wrote:
It's interesting to find out that I'm not the only person who thinks Mayama's behavior is borderline creepy, but what might be even creepier is the fact that he's my favorite character. Yikes, what's that say?? I guess I'm just a sucker for angst (and that's hopefully it).

Definitely a creepy character. Definitely. However, I'm now back to at least tolerating him. He was cute rather than creepy in episode 6. With his mini-rice cooker. Very cute.

frouella wrote:
I like where the story is going with Nomiya and Yamada, too, but I really think she needs to stop with the boo-hooing and move on already. Though the part with spoiler[the unicorns] was one of my favorites! Anyway, I'm definitely going to keep watching this series!

The spoiler[unicorns] were absolutely fantastic! I was cracking up with that part, especially with spoiler[ them following her train back to Tokyo]. Poor Nomiya. ^_-
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was reallllyyy sad, but I've only seen half of it so far (don't ask why). I was tearing a bit, but then that line when Takemoto said something about spoiler[cleaning up the blood of the woman i love] really got me.

I really didn't think that H&C II would do better than the first one. And it was surprising to see it on the top of weighted average.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
Well, I just got done with EP 10 of HC2 and I must say I'm kinda sad that spoiler[there seems to be less than 1% chance that Takemoto will get Hagu, even though I know HC isn't a series about the hero getting the girl anime story, still makes me kinda depressed since Im one of the few non-Morita fan. It just makes me mad that such a minor character gets the girl(j/k, just throwing some hate towards Morita).]. I think this is going to be a series that i'll never forget(like Fushigi Yugi). At least things wrapped up with Mayama nicely. Im just getting antsy for the last 2 eps.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:37 am Reply with quote
Greennunu wrote:
Well, I just got done with EP 10 of HC2 and I must say I'm kinda sad that spoiler[there seems to be less than 1% chance that Takemoto will get Hagu, even though I know HC isn't a series about the hero getting the girl anime story, still makes me kinda depressed since Im one of the few non-Morita fan. It just makes me mad that such a minor character gets the girl(j/k, just throwing some hate towards Morita).].

Morita is definitely one of the most interesting and unique characters I've encountered in all of fiction. He's something of a social idiot-savant; he's completely tactless and his interpersonal skills are almost nonexistent, yet what his interactions with other characters always go his way and have a profound impact. Like in ep. 10 spoiler[when Morita tells Hagu that she doesn't have to draw anymore, it seemed on the surface to be the last thing he should be telling her. But as it turned out, it was just what Hagu needed to hear, as if everyone's encouragement was acting to pressure her.] But I'm with you, Greenunu, in that I sympathize with Takemoto. He always takes a more restrained approach, calculating his actions and words and thinking things through, yet he's always upstaged by Morita.
Anyhow, HaC 2 has proved so far to be on par with the first HaC. I was a bit worried as to how good the new series would be up until ep. 4, but this series picked up really quickly, and now I'm wishing it had been slated for 26 episodes instead.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I also agree on the Takemoto front. In the beginning, I was never really into him, as I was busy watching Morita's antics, and rooting for Mayama. But at the end of the original series, when the story focused on him more, I realized he was the least confident of the 3 guys, and really started to pull for him. After the way that series left off, I was looking forward to this series picking up and rolling with that. While some partial resolutions have taken place (GO MAYAMA!), those tricky directors have left last season's big cliffhanger for this year. I like Morita - even more so now after finding out about his past, and what he did for his brother and father - but I still want Takemoto to win. These next few episodes are going to be interesting.
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
The whole Takemoto/Hagu/Morita thing is really interesting to me because it raises so many questions, like: Is it better to have a life of extreme highs and lows (like with Morita), or is it better to have a life of moderation and stability (like with Takemoto)? It also brings up the issue of how little control each person actually has over the person he or she falls in love with.

I originally thought that Hagu/Takemoto would make a better match, because I think that their opposing characteristics would help even each other out, but after this last episode (10, I think), I'm beginning to see how well Hagu and Morita can relate to each other because they're alike in so many ways. So now I'm officially torn and I don't know who to pick. Nnnggh, this must be like what Hagu is going through -- and it's very scary that I'm relating to Hagu since I really don't like her very much. Damn you, Character Development!!! **shakes fist**
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
After seeing episode 10 really put a sour taste in my mouth about H&C 2. I've always hated shows that are focused on love, and harem etc.. especially in a very normal and dramatic way. After episode 10, it feels like that H&C has shifted to be very much like KgNE (Rumbling Hearts), which is very much disliked. I loved the first season of H&C, because it focused more on self realization, and friendship. However, in H&C 2, it started to be love triangles one after another. What I hate most is seeing love problems. I really hope that it'll become more than just that.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
After seeing episode 10 really put a sour taste in my mouth about H&C 2. I've always hated shows that are focused on love, and harem etc.. especially in a very normal and dramatic way. After episode 10, it feels like that H&C has shifted to be very much like KgNE (Rumbling Hearts), which is very much disliked. I loved the first season of H&C, because it focused more on self realization, and friendship. However, in H&C 2, it started to be love triangles one after another. What I hate most is seeing love problems. I really hope that it'll become more than just that.

I can see what you're saying, but it doesn't seem to me that HaC 2 has focused on the romantic issues all that much more than the first did (or perhaps it just doesn't seem like it to me, as I don't mind those romantic-problem parts of series). At this point, it looks like the story could very well go in that direction, though, depending on these last three episodes. I thought that the last few episodes of the first HaC were the best, and Takemoto's bicycle journey seemed to come out of nowhere, which was the segment of the series that really pushed it to the top for me. I'll be very pleased if these next few episodes are even half as good as the last episodes of the first series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5