• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honey and Clover II

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Is anybody else watching the 3rd season of H&C? Man oh man, is it good - this is easily my favorite show of the new season so far. They've picked up right where the 2nd season left off (minus a recap ep), but as a plus, Hagu actually looks like a real person now!

I just watched ep4, spoiler[and was stoked for Mayama, and happy that he finally spoke up. ]Even with Morita's crazy antics, Mayama has been my favorite character up to this point by far. spoiler[I hope that he and Rika can work things out between them - especially now that Yamada has Nomiya. ]The preview for ep5 (at least what I can make of it - you know how H&C previews go Smile) spoiler[looks to bring the story back around to Takemoto, which will be a nice change of pace, since he's been all but forgotten in H&C II after owning season 2.]

All together, I'm super jazzed to see the rest of this season. This has been one of my favorite shows of the last few years, and probably my favorite romantic comedy of all time. It has great writing and an addictive story line (even with the sometimes cheesy melodramatic voice-overs), and genuine and original characters, with real heart-felt emotions. I also enjoy the pastel/water-color visual style that perfectly suits the setting (some of JC Staff's best work), as well as the excellent music and insert songs that work so well together. If you liked the first 2 seasons, deffinitely check this one out. If you never watched the first 2 seasons, I highly recomend them.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
What I'm seriously wondering is, why haven't any of the anime companies license Honey and Clover yet!? Confused

This series is far too good to not be licensed.

I haven't started Honey and Clover II yet; I was kinda waiting for the first season (and second, if we use the 13-episodes/season system) to come out on DVD so to buy it. Guilt? Foolishness? False pretense of high morality? I don't know. I just want to have them sitting on my DVD shelf, perhaps. Moreover, though the first season ends wonderfully there are far more than enough plotlines to continue the second one (26-eps system). Are the new episodes as good as the earlier season(s) so far?
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Are the new episodes as good as the earlier season(s) so far?

After seeing the first 4 episodes of H&C 2, I would say that the new episodes are completely consistent with the earlier seasons. Also, it seems like this season is more about taking action, starting with Takemoto at the end of the previous season.

Don't hesitate on watching this season, it's just as good.
SomeVito

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
So far, I too am pleased with the new season, and it seems to keep as high quality as it did last season. I like how they’re focusing a bit more on some of the characters that didn’t seem to get a lot of screen time and development in the first season like Rika and Nomiya. However, episodes 2-4 seem to deal a lot more with the Mayama and Yamada, and very little seems to be happening with Morita, Hagu, and Takemoto. I really miss Takemto’s quasi angsty monologues; I dunno what happened to those. Maybe he got like a myspace and gets all emo and introspective there.
Also on the subjedt of Mayamaspoiler[He sometimes creeps me out with his stalker like qualities with Rika such as reading all her e-mails and checking her Internet history.]If it weren't for when he did that I could so totally always cheer him on.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
SomeVito wrote:
I really miss Takemto’s quasi angsty monologues; I dunno what happened to those. Maybe he got like a myspace and gets all emo and introspective there.

LMAO!!! Laughing
Wow, that was funny, but I know what you mean about the lack of Takemoto. I think his whole "quest" thing at the end of the first series, mixed in with the lack of movement on the Mayama front, got me sort of sick of him. Now that we've finally gotten somewhere on the latter, though, I'm happy to see the hint of focusing on the former. I wonder what will happen to our favorite clown in all this?
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
I am just happy they are focusing more on Mayama, as he is my fav character. I always felt that the strange relationship between him and Yamada was one of the best characterizations of tear jerking unfulfilled drama I have ever seen in an anime. It always shoock me how GOOD they showed it. Slow paced, with tons of subtleties, not exactly built up - so real, so Perfect. I hope they will stay true the previous theme and not do anything drastic to them both. So far Mayama seems to have grown a bit, and I feel they will take a different aproach to Yamada. Cant wait to see how it all goes down.

Overall, the continuation is flawless. It feels as if the first season never ended and simply continues right now. The characters are changed in a way which seem only logical after you watched the previous episodes. Everything flows so perfectly together it still amazes me how could such a great title ever come to be and WHY it still hasn't been licensed in America. Not that I care, I dont live there, I am just seriously puzzled.

But one thing buggs me - I certainly DO NOT like the crazier than ever antics of Morita. They were funny in the beggining, but now they seem to rely too heavily on SD and generic craziness. Morita was a little more that that. Oh well, I still love this anime.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
SomeVito wrote:

Also on the subject of Mayama spoiler[He sometimes creeps me out with his stalker like qualities with Rika such as reading all her e-mails and checking her Internet history.]If it weren't for when he did that I could so totally always cheer him on.

I can't help but agree. I was mildly creeped out during the first 26 episodes with the way he spoiler[would always drive by her house, etc, but he has long since crossed the line in the whole stalker thing. Sure, he is working to keep her from committing suicide, but still, he didn't know what was happening until he started snooping--so his motivations early on were too creepy to justify the end result in my mind. I'm glad he got her to stop and think, but I really feel he was stalking her just becuase of his obsessive affections, not because he thought she was going to pull something. ] But that's just my take, and it's quite likely incorrect, as I've grown to have issues with Mayama because of the whole Mayama, Yamada, Rika thing.

Anyway, I think I prefer H&C II to H&C currently. The first six episodes of the first season were just a little too slow, perhaps. I kept waiting to see what the show was really about, and it took awhile for it to get anywhere. While I enjoy the mix of comedy and drama, I prefer the way it's playing out this go around (with the characters taking some action) than before. That's not to say I didn't like the first 2 seasons, I just found more elements that bothered me than I'm finding in this one thus far.

And as someone else mentioned, it's very nice getting to see more of characters like Rika (I feel a bit of a kinship to her), Nomiya, and the rest of the Fujiwara Design team. I'm looking forward to episode 5, definitely. And I really wish the show would get licensed. I'll give it bit longer, and then I'm going to have to start looking into the R2 DVDs, once I finish my PGSM collection--and make sure I have a R2 compatible DVD-player.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
What I'm seriously wondering is, why haven't any of the anime companies license Honey and Clover yet!? Confused

No guns, no swords, no robots, no magic, no "babes," no aliens, no time travelers, no ESPers.

And yet, somehow, the manga has been picked up by Tokyopop Germany.

Germany!!

Meanwhile, Viz (which technically has first dibs on the H&C manga) is sitting on their asses licensing something about an Inflatable Prince or whatever while a series that is EVEN BETTER THAN NANA vegetates and cries out for love from the center of the world!

What the hell, America! What the hell!
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh good Lord, I didn't even know H&C II was coming out with episodes already!! I better get on that, as I loved.. the first season..? (I am confused calling H&C II the third season.. did I miss something?)

I'm quite relieved to hear that it's a smooth continuation of the first part. Woo I can't wait to see it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

No guns, no swords, no robots, no magic, no "babes," no aliens, no time travelers, no ESPers.

Sad, but true. I've only read good things about this title, and I've been awaiting it's licencsing, especially since it seems to be one of the only good anime targeting my demographic. But the cold, hard fact is that it isn't targeted at the coveted high school and college age male audience, so it's probably going to be a while.

It does seem to be very highly regarded though, so maybe that will give it a chance of being released sometime this decade, especially if guys start indicating that they would be willing to crossover and give it a chance.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Although it does have a creepy shrimp hand Laughing!

Seriously H&C is one of the finest, funniest, down-to-earth animated series that I had ever seen. Let's hope that when the next convention hits Anywhere, USA some company will say "Good news, everyone! We have decided to license Honey & Clover; and will be releasing it as early as this Christmas!"
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

I highly approve of the creepy shrimp hand Cool

Speaking of which, how is everyone feeling about the new opening sequence for H&C II? Nothing's ever going to touch the original "food" opening, but this new one feels really lazy -- like they decided to just CGI that animal totem and SFX the hell out of it. The song's a bit of a letdown too; it's not as melodic as the original OP.

But now I'm just grousing. Laughing
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
omnistry wrote:

I highly approve of the creepy shrimp hand Cool

Speaking of which, how is everyone feeling about the new opening sequence for H&C II? Nothing's ever going to touch the original "food" opening, but this new one feels really lazy -- like they decided to just CGI that animal totem and SFX the hell out of it. The song's a bit of a letdown too; it's not as melodic as the original OP.

But now I'm just grousing. Laughing

Grouse away. Personally, I don't like the new opening nor the song all that well. While I found the first season's food opening a bit creepy in spots (the panties), it was very original, and I liked it and the second opening. The songs all the way through were nice (although I prefer the closing themes to that opening) too. But, opening and music aside, I like everything else about the 3rd season at least. ^_-
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
It does seem to be very highly regarded though, so maybe that will give it a chance of being released sometime this decade, especially if guys start indicating that they would be willing to crossover and give it a chance.
I'm a (recently) 17 years-old male teenager who's supposed to like things like, I don't know, Girls Bravo and Naruto (?), but find Honey and Clover very, very good--nay, excellent.

Dammit, American anime licensing companies! I need H&C on my shelf!
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually, H&C should be very popular amongst the upper teens. After all, it does start out with Takemoto being 18 and starting college. It's nice because it makes teens think about what they're going to do in college, which is in the very near future.

As for the opening and ending themes, I don't find the songs too enough to actually watch the themes, but the food in the first two seasons were really fun, and the poodles in this one isn't too bad either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5