• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Le Chevalier d'Eon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow what a cool series, all I have to say is after episode one I am so hooked!

Anyways I love the animation thus far, it's so nice to look at. Also I love the timeframe of this series, that era in time is one of my favorites next to Caesar. Edit: I mean Julius Caesar just so ya know

Anyhow on to the show at hand spoiler through the first episode
spoiler[d'Eon? Anyone have the modern version of this name? I was originally thinking Edward, or Edmund (Count of monte cristo) another famous frenchmen. Back to the story wow so much in one episode we have royal betrayal, various bible references, and soul swapping. I wonder how Alchemy will come into play in this series, and also that demon with H O (There is three dots inbetween the H and O, I remember in Math it meant therefore) with Also I love the scene where E'don is getting the cross heated (Molded a better word?) onto his blade I love the music during that initial encounter. ]

One last thing to note I am really into the ending theme for this series, I like how it start slows and build up into the vocal. So what does everyone else think of this series?
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Edit: Spelling

Last edited by Deltakiral on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:16 am; edited 2 times in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
The art wasn't the best I've ever seen... but it was DAMN nice. Very clean, very bright, very appealing. I can't believe how LONG that first episode felt though Shocked covered so much stuff.

I can see this being a really really good series if they do it right... but it's one of those series I don't have a WHOLE lot of hope for at this point, as I can see it being screwed up pretty easily Confused

I also love this time frame Wink It's definitely my favorite among the Western world besides ancient times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
What do you mean modern version of the name? If you mean his full name it's Charles-Geneviève-Louis-Auguste-André-Timothée Éon de Beaumont.

PS It's d'Eon, not E'don as you keep misspelling it in your spoilers.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
What do you mean modern version of the name?

Meaning how names over time can change to something different Antonio into Anthony into the shorter Tony. I was just wondering if d'Eon was an offshoot of something else.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Just finished the first episode while eating a really late dinner after work, and I must say this series has so much going for it right now.

I had actually forgotten about the series after the announcment was made until this thread appeared. Out of curiosity, I went to check the Encyc. entry only to find it's by my favorite shounen director, Furuhashi Kazuhiro.

The whole setting just had this sort of intrigue to it, which really picked up around the second half of the episode. But wow, it just jumped right into things after: spoiler[ Discovering this hideous ring of kidnappings and mutilations, tracking down the supposed Russian culprit, having the whole investigation team being slaughtered right at the pinnacle of their mission, then pittng d'Eon against his friend and commander who seems to have gone off the deep end in the form of some super zombie you'd see in Resident Evil.

And on top of that, you now have d'Eon's sister's soul warping into his body, making an uber cool pose with that newly engraved "holy sword" and vowing to show these "fake gods" or whatever that "they are naught but man."]

I'm not big on religion in general (not even my own, being Buddhism), so a lot of these biblical references are confusing the heck out of me. Aside from the literal symbolism I think I'm interpreting, is this going to affect my viewing in any way? It doesn't feel like they've used any kind of langauge or vernacular only a Christian would understand (being made for a Japanese audience after all), but maybe these things would be better recieved if I actually knew what they were talking about, yes?

Anyway, the art is fantastic. Great coloring on every aspect of the people, scenery, and anything else on screen. I'm also a sucker for mature, violent, supernatural thrillers (a la Blood+), which this one appears to be heading in the direction of.

I am really looking forward to this series.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I had actually forgotten about the series after the announcment was made until this thread appeared. Out of curiosity, I went to check the Encyc. entry only to find it's by my favorite shounen director, Furuhashi Kazuhiro.

Really he is your favorite director I wonder why that is.......he the director of the anime I am most looking forward to on DVD. Zipang I am really looking forward to that, oh by the way did you know he was the director for Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal? Very Happy

Tony K. wrote:
The whole setting just had this sort of intrigue to it, which really picked up around the second half of the episode. But wow, it just jumped right into things after: spoiler[ Discovering this hideous ring of kidnappings and mutilations, tracking down the supposed Russian culprit, having the whole investigation team being slaughtered right at the pinnacle of their mission, then pittng d'Eon against his friend and commander who seems to have gone off the deep end in the form of some super zombie you'd see in Resident Evil.

And on top of that, you now have d'Eon's sister's soul warping into his body, making an uber cool pose with that newly engraved "holy sword" and vowing to show these "fake gods" or whatever that "they are naught but man."]

Yea I agree with you spoiler[I completely thought of Resident Evil as well when that zombie thing began to attack.] But wasn't there so much going on in this one episode, makes ya wonder what's next.

Tony K. wrote:
I'm not big on religion in general (not even my own, being Buddhism), so a lot of these biblical references are confusing the heck out of me. Aside from the literal symbolism I think I'm interpreting, is this going to affect my viewing in any way? It doesn't feel like they've used any kind of langauge or vernacular only a Christian would understand (being made for a Japanese audience after all), but maybe these things would be better recieved if I actually knew what they were talking about, yes?

I was Catholic (Agonstic now) and so far there doesn't seem to be too much that will go over your head. But that not to say that it won't be. spoiler[I have a feeling I am going to brush up with PSALM again.] But I think your alright thus far, perhaps I will drop some light on the topic if it becomes necessary.

Tony K. wrote:
Anyway, the art is fantastic. Great coloring on every aspect of the people, scenery, and anything else on screen. I'm also a sucker for mature, violent, supernatural thrillers (a la Blood+), which this one appears to be heading in the direction of.

Chevalier has a lot of those qualities, being an I.G. anime probably helps the most. But yea this type of anime (Mature, Violent) is my thing, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Tony K. wrote:
I am really looking forward to this series.

Look forward to August then.......the next episode doesn't air for sometime. Like until 8-26-2006 Sad how sad is that? I am getting my info from the encyclopedia. Check the episodes title, ah heck let me post it.

Quote:
2006-08-19 1. D'Eon∴Lia
Special broadcast of episode 1 on 2006-07-02
2006-08-26 2.The four musketeers

So this thread may be dead for sometime until we finally get to that second episode.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for period pieces, so I also just checked the first episode out. Wasn't sure at all where it was going, so the the way it turned out was quite a surprise. Definitely looking forward to more.

Some of the visuals were spectacular, especially the CG interior shots of Versailles, and the story seems solid. It has to happen sometime between 1758 and 1760, as those were the only years that the historical Count Saint-Germain was at Versailles. However, there was no one in Louis XV's family tree named "Auguste," and no potential male heir of proper age to be that character in the anime. Madame de Pompadour was still prominent at Versailles at that time, though, and Queen Marie was known to have devoted herself to religion beginning decades earlier, so their presence and characterizations aren't out of line. It also looks like the character designer made a distinct effort to pattern the designs for the major players off of available period portraits.

It's also worth noting that Count Saint-Germain spoiler[claimed to be hundreds of years old and was later fictionally characterized as a vampire in a series of more modern novels] which may be where the angle shown towards the episode's end comes in.

I'm also hoping that this one ultimately gets licensed and dubbed, as I am very unimpressed with the Japanese vocals. (Japanese voices and speaking patterns just don't sound right on clearly European characters.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm also hoping that this one ultimately gets licensed and dubbed, as I am very unimpressed with the Japanese vocals. (Japanese voices and speaking patterns just don't sound right on clearly European characters.)

Assuming they don't give everyone English accents Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I heartily agree that this is by far the winner of what I've been watching this current season. It has me cold from episode 1, hopefully it keeps up the quality and doesn't get two wierd with the spoiler[Gender bending possessions by his dead sis.]
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
After watching it I found out that D'eon was a real life rather famous crossdressing spy, so I must say the way in which they used this to create supernatural story was quite unique. I am not really a fan of period pieces, but this seems like one to out for and the animation is genuinely impressive.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:42 am Reply with quote
So finally after a month or so episode two is available. Anywho after what seems to be a decent (Perhaps less with the comng episodes) ending for Blood+ it appears as if Production I.G. has moved all of it's resources to Le Chevalier d'Eon.

After episode one which was filled with so many different elements and so much information I was really interested to see how episode 2 turned out. And I am happy to say that the wait was well worth it Very Happy.

Might as well get into it episode 2....spoilers ahead spoiler[With a title like 4 Muskateers I was a bit worried that this story might take a turn for the worse.....I just figured that this episode would be more likely to establish a slower pace, however I love this episode just as much as episode 1. With the four main characters set, it's look like there this series is set....my only concern so far is Robin.....although he doesn't look (and sound) like the annoying anime sidekick I am afraid that he could turn into one.....I am really praying that doesn't happen. ]

I don't remember if the ED was played in the first episode but damn I love this ending sequence and the music....it's so fitting. I am hoping that episode 3 can be out sooner but hey either I'll take my Chevalier when I can. I wonder if this will be announced anytime soon.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads-up, this made my day even if it's a little early to call it a good day at 1am. Smile After much searching, and because the site I got 1 from dropped the series for some reason, I found it. I'll let you know with an edit my thoughts on it once I've seen it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Remember that the show's target audience (Japanese) are almost exclusively non-Christian, so I doubt heavy Christian knowledge will be necessary.

Anyways, I enjoy the show so far, but it is a bit slow to get into the meat of the story. The second ep was pretty great though, it reminds me of a higher class, French version of Samurai Deeper Kyo (and even fills many of the same roles).

Plus it include Madame du Pompadour, from Doctor Who.

Quote:
After watching it I found out that D'eon was a real life rather famous crossdressing spy, so I must say the way in which they used this to create supernatural story was quite unique. I am not really a fan of period pieces, but this seems like one to out for and the animation is genuinely impressive.

Yeah, check the wiki entry on him. Apparently "Lia" was a drag alter ego under which he spied on the Russians early in his career, and the much later in his career he claimed to actually be a female in men's clothing (so as to do "men's" work without protest), and lived as a woman until he died, at which time the coroner said he really was a guy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Slow? To me the story was moving at lightspeed in the first episode. The second was slower yeah as they had to introduce 3 new (I hope) reoccurring characters. All said and done episode 2 did not disappoint either, I really like that the fighting style of the characters is more like the traditional European French or British fencing style rather than the Japanese style of swordsmanship in most anime where characters clash swords. The style used also goes well with type of swords used by characters as well which are mosty sabers or rapiers. They did their homework.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Slow? To me the story was moving at lightspeed in the first episode.

When I said "slow", I guess I meant something different. I agree that they did a lot of stuff in that episode, I just didn't find a lot of that stuff to be quite as interesting as I might have liked. It's like The Third, a series that has it's high points, but which bores me a bit for much of the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2