• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NHK ni Youkoso! (Welcome to the NHK)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
adonais wrote:
You can say that again - the NHK soundtrack(s), not just the OP and ED, but the whole score, did an amazing job of amplifying the emotional content in so many scenes. I shudder to think what this anime would have been like without this superb score to go with it.

One particular part of the soundtrack that I thought was haunting and very effective was the piece in which someone is strumming a basic chord pattern on an acoustic guitar.

I actually didn't care much for the op or the second ending music (though the first ending was pretty good Smile ), but you're right that guitar solo piece was fantastic... the first 15 times it was used. I think it was a bit overused since it seemed like it was being used in every episode, the soundtrack could have really benefitted from another similar piece, even another arrangement of the same piece, to avoid overusing that song so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Just finished this series and all I can say is that there are numerous themes all equally as importantt as the rest. All I'll say is that this is probably one of the better "slice of life" Anime that is out there that really makes you think not about just the characters but the world around you. To state there is a major theme would be naive in my opinion. When I think of "slice of life" Anime, NHk is probably one of the more fitting examples.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Anthony P wrote:
adonais wrote:
You can say that again - the NHK soundtrack(s), not just the OP and ED, but the whole score, did an amazing job of amplifying the emotional content in so many scenes. I shudder to think what this anime would have been like without this superb score to go with it.

One particular part of the soundtrack that I thought was haunting and very effective was the piece in which someone is strumming a basic chord pattern on an acoustic guitar.

I actually didn't care much for the op or the second ending music (though the first ending was pretty good Smile ), but you're right that guitar solo piece was fantastic... the first 15 times it was used. I think it was a bit overused since it seemed like it was being used in every episode, the soundtrack could have really benefitted from another similar piece, even another arrangement of the same piece, to avoid overusing that song so much.

actually i'm glad they got rid of the first outro, cause the second half was just so depressing. it wouldn't have fit at all. anyways, i finally finished this last night, and i have to say this was a great series. some of this stuff was just really depressing to watch, like when spoiler[Megumi's brother kept typing on the computer "I'm Hungry!", and wouldn't leave the house.] i really hope that's an exaggeration, and hikikomori aren't THAT bad. all in all it had an satisfying ending. my only complaint may be that it wrapped up a little too perfect.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the series, watched 22 episodes all the way to the end (starting from Ep 3).

Basically, I made this thread, followed the series until Ep 2, got impatient, read through 5 volumes of the manga to get the story, and put this series aside. Picking it up again, I wasn't expecting to get much out of it (after all, I already know what happens), but Gonzo did a pretty good job with it. The fabricated ending was really nice, and I think it was a really good place to end, especially since the arc following it was horribly boring. I was getting worried that they weren't going to get to why Misaki started her "project" in the first place, but the last two episodes resolved that. My only complaint is that Misaki was more mellow and less sly/cunning than her manga counterpart (partly because of her seiyuu's cutesy voice and partly because her sly facial expressions from the manga were never shown), but besides that, it was a pretty good series.
adonais

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Basically, I made this thread, followed the series until Ep 2, got impatient, read through 5 volumes of the manga to get the story, and put this series aside. Picking it up again, I wasn't expecting to get much out of it (after all, I already know what happens)

Now I can't help but wonder, why would you do something like that...? Instant knowledge is more important to you than prolonged enjoyment, so you sactifice the suspense and thrill of watching the series with an open mind in order "to get the story"??? Man, that sounds somehow sad. I'm ever again thankful that I don't read manga.. Wink
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
Now I can't help but wonder, why would you do something like that...? Instant knowledge is more important to you than prolonged enjoyment, so you sactifice the suspense and thrill of watching the series with an open mind in order "to get the story"??? Man, that sounds somehow sad. I'm ever again thankful that I don't read manga.. Wink

I know many people who vastly prefer manga to anime, and when I ask why, they always tell me that anime drags things on too long and the story moves too slowly. I understand now that these people value plot over atmosphere and slow enjoyment (not to say that's a bad thing), and therefore prefer manga over anime for instant knowledge, since the plot generally interests them much more than the "feel".

I generally prefer anime over manga; I value atmosphere, impact, and immersion into the world, something I find very difficult to achieve when I read manga. However, in the case of NHK!, the premise was so intriguing that I decided that I would just take the manga and read on. I don't think I regretted it afterwards. The plot stuck to me, and although I was unable to reap the rewards I would have from watching the anime, the suspense and thrill (although only lasting two hours) was still there, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Nonetheless, I still did enjoy the anime. It definitely would have had much more suspense had I not known the story beforehand, but it was still a worthwhile experience; scenes such as those from Ep 13 and 24 were definitely much more impactful than in the manga. But I wouldn't call it sad to read the manga ahead of the anime. I would say it all comes down to what values more in a particular title: plot or enjoyment?

Also, "to get the story" was a somewhat poor choice of words on my part. And this would probably fit better in that "Chicken or the Egg?" thread, but Neutral
adonais

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
But I wouldn't call it sad to read the manga ahead of the anime. I would say it all comes down to what values more in a particular title: plot or enjoyment?

Naw, I just thought it somewhat depressing that the thread starter didn't "stay the course", to use a popular phrase. And I guess there was a hint of a print-through of my principal grievance, that those who read the manga and then watch the anime invariably take the manga as the yardstick for measuring the anime, as if that somehow constitutes a "better" reference than judging the anime on its own merits. More often than not, that seems to result in the manga always being perceived as better. Which makes me wonder if you might have liked the anime better if you hadn't read the manga first, and whether dropping the anime in favor of the manga was "worth it", in a manner of speaking. I guess it was, for you.
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
adonais wrote:

I know many people who vastly prefer manga to anime, and when I ask why, they always tell me that anime drags things on too long and the story moves too slowly. I understand now that these people value plot over atmosphere and slow enjoyment (not to say that's a bad thing), and therefore prefer manga over anime for instant knowledge, since the plot generally interests them much more than the "feel".

I'd never thought of it like that before. Perhaps in some people's cases it might not be so much a need for instant knowledge as it is they can take in the story and artwork at their own pace. While I watch more anime than I read manga, they both have thier advantages.
I'm going to be picking up volume 1 of the manga this weekend, which I've been putting off for too long. By the way, have there been very many instances in which the manga was licensed in the US, yet not the anime? I'd hate to see this anime not get picked up over here.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
...followed the series until Ep 2, got impatient, read through 5 volumes of the manga to get the story, and put this series aside. Picking it up again....

Thank-you for the post Frentymon. It contained some information I was looking for. I likewise watched the first episode, put the series aside, stumbled across the manga, collected the five volumes I could get my hands on, chewed through them at high speed and then returned to watching the series. I recently slowed down on watching the shows because I wasn't sure if watching it to the end would affect my reading enjoyment once I get to volume 6 of the manga (it came out last month I believe). At this point in time I guess I'll just pull out all the stops and go for broke with watching the remaining shows.

As it stands, to me the anime and manga co-exist very well. The manga came into being before the anime but I'm not one to say that the anime ought to follow the manga precisely. An example of an anime which I didn't enjoy because it faithfully followed its manga source material was "Mermaid Forest". I didn't get any enjoyment out of watching what amounted to moving picture shows that were verbatim versions of stories I had read more than 10 years ago. For what I've watched so far the strength of "Welcome to the NHK" is the anime team's vision and ingenuity in taking the source material, molding it into their own form and delivering what has been for my viewing experience a quality product. The question that was nagging me was "How much did they borrow from the manga to come up with their ending?". I suppose that's a bit of an unreasonable fear but it was enough to put me into a minor holding pattern with respect to watching the rest of the show.

ps: For the record... I only really gained steam reading the manga when I got through two/three volumes on a flight back to Vancouver from Toronto. I usually don't watch inflight movies so there wasn't much else to do.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some of the anime, and i dont really like it. the main character is pathetic. and that one girl looks pretty young. how old is she supposed to be?

but you know what? at least he got laid once in his life with that one girl. ill give him credit for that.

but that ending.....what the hell? funny, but spastic beyond belief.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
so i just read the first two volumes of the manga, and i am absolutely stunned at how much Gonzo changed this. not only was a ton of stuff changed or edited out, but they completely toned down the mood. don't get me wrong i still think it's a great anime, but... wow.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
Well, just finished this and I can now say I love this series. One of my favorites of the year... And probably would be my favorite if there weren't so many other great series that came out during 2006.

adonais wrote:
Anthony P wrote:

Sounds like "Youkoso! Hitori Bocchi" you're describing - definitely one of my favorites too. Both soundtracks are available at cdjapan and well worth buying, I can warmly recommend them both.

Got both of them (as well as the first opening single and the second ending single since they weren't on the soundtracks) and really enjoy them. I got them before I finished the series... I'm disappointed that the song at the end of episode 23 isn't included on either of the soundtracks though. The scenes during the credits were easily some of my favorites in the series, and I loved the song so I'm a bit disappointed I can't listen to it alone... Other than that though, the soundtrack was great. I really liked all the music in the series, including both opening and endings.

The Seventh Son wrote:
I've seen some of the anime, and i don't really like it. the main character is pathetic.

Well, you're a sharp one. You're supposed to feel that the main character is "pathetic". One of the main points of the series is how he is trying to overcome this hikikomori problem of his. Please don't tell me that's the reason you disliked the series.

Quote:
and that one girl looks pretty young. how old is she supposed to be?

>_> Unless you're refering to episode 3, do not bring loli into this conversation. You can whine about it in this thread (which I created for the specific purpose of keeping the topic out of other threads).

Quote:
but you know what? at least he got laid once in his life with that one girl. ill give him credit for that.

What? Am I missing something? Because I don't remember Satou getting it on with anybody during the series (other than in his thoughts). Unless you're talking about the manga, in which case, you shouldn't have mentioned, because that would be a spoiler (and in turn I will kill you).
d.yaro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
...and that one girl looks pretty young. how old is she supposed to be?

If it's Misaki you're referring to then I believe a good guess is 18 or 19 years-old. There are strong clues provided in the manga but I still have 8 episodes of the anime to work my way through so I don't know if they provide any hints there.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so i just read the first two volumes of the manga, and i am absolutely stunned at how much Gonzo changed this. not only was a ton of stuff changed or edited out, but they completely toned down the mood. don't get me wrong i still think it's a great anime, but... wow.

Anime was (apparently very faithfully) based on the novel, not the manga. If anything its the manga tat diverges from the original story.

Quote:

This never happened. In any version of NHK so far anyhow. (Unless he means spoiler[Yamazaki ] in the manga.)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Quote:

This never happened. In any version of NHK so far anyhow. (Unless he means spoiler[Yamazaki ] in the manga.)

Well, that's a relief. Although, the fact that he seemed unable to name any of the (including the main) character's names kind of implied how credible his opinion on the series was...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10