• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA, the best anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
haha no worries, i can take what ever they throw at me Very Happy although it really wasnt your fault, i kinda got into that situation myself.

space

Ok, well you shouldn't be hassled for another playful comment you threw at me when I was the one who started it. Either way, though, everyone's died down about it, so there's nothing to worry about.
Arxilius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
That's, ah.... no. It's not. It IS a fine series, with likeable characters, neat action, and a decent story. It jabs at philosophy, but comes up a little short. But, all in all, a fine series. Allow me to point you at some better ones, though.

On Adult Swim:

~Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Great action, great characters, and ACTUAL PHILOSOPHY, instead of a halfhearted attempt)
~Eureka seveN (Beautiful animation, wonderful characters, and the best mecha ever)
~Neon Genesis: Evangelion (maybe not more enjoyable, but it is perfect)
~Paranoia Agent (if you can understand it)
~s-CRY-ed (Interesting characters, some of the best fight scenes ever, and superhumans expressing true humanity)

Other:

~The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (I can't even list all of the reasons why this is one of the most perfect series' ever made)
~Hellsing (Wonderful characters and mood, plus truly badass fight scenes)
~Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ (it's cute, it's cuddly, and it's weird as hell)
~Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor (human characters, plus alternate history concepts that are totally NEAT)
NessFreaK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Well i liked FMA; but I dont think its the absolute best.

Personally, im perfer a serious anime over one with comedy.

I liked Gundam SEED alot more. Wolf's Rain was also better in my opinion. However, Full Metal Alchemist was pretty good.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Those are better ones? Paranoia Agent or Eva of even GitS? Or Hellsing for that matter? Or even Kashimashi? I disagree with the most possible enthusiasm. But that sort of brings me to my point.

It's really a pointless attempt to even bother arguing what's the best ever. Anime is an art form, as such the interpretation and the appreciation is completely subjective. Something may be the best to you but it may be crap to someone else. The only person who can determine what's the best is you, and the only person that determination will apply to is you. You can see what is most often considered the best through polls and such, but even then you won't know the best, just what is often seen as such.

There's no doubt that FMA is widely seen as one of the best by a great many people. But is it the best? Maybe, that's up to you, but will also only apply to you. Otherwise, there is no universal best unless you start gauging it purely on a technological level, but then that removes the interpretation and individual perception which pretty much removes any artistic quality which would make judging it as an artform useless anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
You can argue it is, or you can argue it isn't, but because "best" doesn't have specific requisites, the only real way is by popular vote. There's no good way to poll every anime fan, but if we look at the list of votes given by the members of ANN we can get a pretty good look at at least what the more otaku-esque part of the fanbase thinks. Looking at TV shows it is not the best, it's the third best, pretty damn good no matter how you look at it.

1.) The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2.) Cowboy Bebop
3.) Fullmetal Alchemist

I didn't include the OVA or the movie since movies are completely different in style from a tv series, and those OVAs are only PART of the ruroni kenshin anime. Personally I'm amazed that a show with as little of a story line as Bebop is number 2, but not many people would come up with the exact top 10 list if they tried Rolling Eyes

FMA is a show that has a LOT of hype about it, and the consensus seems to be more or less that even if it's not your favorite, you can understand why many people would think so and you realize it comes down to personal likes and dislikes for these type of shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Please, you guys all like other animes besides FMA. Come on Scryed? That was some anime with useless action. Gundam SeeD is nothing compared to FMA, so please stop. That anime made you cry probably so you have to say it is better? Ghost in the Shell is just horrible. It is completely hyped up for no reason. It has a horrible plot, horrible character build-up and it's just garbage. OK the music is hot, but that is all. Eureka Seven was ok, but be serious. The drawings are garbage and falling in love with an alien? Be for real. Neon Genesis only has “deeper meaning for intelligent beings.” The ending almost made me throw up after seeing the ugliness. And the robots? I'm tired of seeing them. Why do people think they are the strongest things ever imaginable? Hellsing is ok, but still uncomparable to the godly anime FMA. Hellsing is just too dark and gloomy. It is sometimes good, but sometime bad depending on the person’s mood or taste. The action in Hellsing is extremely freakish and preposterous; spoiler[the crazy guy, I forgot the name, turns into an ugly weird dog with like a thousand heads.] Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is better than FMA? I never even heard of it and I probably know what it is about. It probably has tremendous amount of dramatic scenes that make you want to cry, it has some comedy maybe like Azumanga Daioh, which was a dumb and boring anime. Maybe some weird sex difference occurs and it ends with a happy ending. It cannot be better than FMA. I could bet a million dollars, if I had, that FMA is way better than Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~.
When I watch The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I'll just destroy it just like all the other animes. And Cowboy Bebop looked horrible at the beginning, so I didn't feel like watching. I guess I'll watch it, but I will tell you that no Cowboy is a friend of mine.
I could go on all day. If you really get down to it, no other anime is better than FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Kin7cato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
Please, you guys all like other animes besides FMA. Come on Scryed? That was some anime with useless action. Gundam SeeD is nothing compared to FMA, so please stop. That anime made you cry probably so you have to say it is better? Ghost in the Shell is just horrible. It is completely hyped up for no reason. It has a horrible plot, horrible character build-up and it's just garbage. OK the music is hot, but that is all. Eureka Seven was ok, but be serious. The drawings are garbage and falling in love with an alien? Be for real. Neon Genesis only has “deeper meaning for intelligent beings.” The ending almost made me throw up after seeing the ugliness. And the robots? I'm tired of seeing them. Why do people think they are the strongest things ever imaginable? Hellsing is ok, but still uncomparable to the godly anime FMA. Hellsing is just too dark and gloomy. It is sometimes good, but sometime bad depending on the person’s mood or taste. The action in Hellsing is extremely freakish and preposterous; spoiler[the crazy guy, I forgot the name, turns into an ugly weird dog with like a thousand heads.] Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ is better than FMA? I never even heard of it and I probably know what it is about. It probably has tremendous amount of dramatic scenes that make you want to cry, it has some comedy maybe like Azumanga Daioh, which was a dumb and boring anime. Maybe some weird sex difference occurs and it ends with a happy ending. It cannot be better than FMA. I could bet a million dollars, if I had, that FMA is way better than Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~.
When I watch The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I'll just destroy it just like all the other animes. And Cowboy Bebop looked horrible at the beginning, so I didn't feel like watching. I guess I'll watch it, but I will tell you that no Cowboy is a friend of mine.
I could go on all day. If you really get down to it, no other anime is better than FMA.

Instead of being so thick-headed you should give other animes a chance. And stop bashing other animes that you have no or little knowledge about.

As for my first impression of Fullmetal Alchemist, i disliked it. And I didn't even have a valid reason for doing so.
That has changed.

As for Fullmetal Alchemist being the best, I am not quite sure. However it is definately one of the best anime series out there.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
It is the oh so incredibly well thought out arguments made by people like darc_knight that make me wish I DIDN'T like the same things as him; oh, and I especially love this section:

Quote:
It cannot be better than FMA. I could bet a million dollars, if I had, that FMA is way better than Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~.
When I watch The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I'll just destroy it just like all the other animes. And Cowboy Bebop looked horrible at the beginning, so I didn't feel like watching.

I'd like to believe he's being incredibly sarcastic, but if that's the case he should still be practicing it in his room; not in public so that other people need to deal with more writing done by someone with the intelligence of a sack of potatoes. If you go into something wanting to not like it, you won't, duh.

Here's what it comes down to for me, what's the fun in not liking things you WOULD like if just weren't so stubborn about it? Being a dumbshit to people you don't know? If people can give me a well thoughtout reason that appeals to me, I'll watch any show or perhaps even completely change my opinion of any show I've seen (it's happend). Disliking a show, disliking the people who like the show, or disliking the hype around said show, or disliking the merchandise, these are all COMPLETELY SEPERATE THINGS, some people don't seem to realize this. Confused
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
Darc_knight wrote:
This sucks! you suck! sucky suck FMA awesome! you all suck!!!!!!

Hush child Smile

PS. We wouldn't see the pinnacle of Anime only fourty years after it was streamlined so seriously, knock it off. There is no 'best' Anime.
Thaimex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:51 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the movie, and the series had some moments that sparked some emotions in me.

Its not the best, but its still in my top 10.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Whoah! I didn't know my one joking, friendly comment would turn into such an arguement about history. Honestly, It doesn't really matter. So what if Space_cowboy64 doesn't know much about history? Yeah, maybe he should've before he made a comment like that, but it was all good-natured. I guess I shouldn't make jokes in this forum anymore. Every time I do people get into arguments.

I just attempted one 5 minutes ago; I'm already scared of how it might turn out. More than jokes, errors in minor detail seem to bring about a huge swarm of anti-posters. Shocked

Fullmetal Alchemist isn't in my top10.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't like FMA either. The only list it's in for me would be my top least favorites. The nonstop discussion of alchemy reminded me too much of card battles in Yugioh. I got a too much of a "Believe in the heart of the alchemy, Ed!!!" vibe from it to watch it without giggling. You know what the best anime ever really is? My Neighbor Totoro. It's the ultimate family movie. I have a feeling this thread will be locked soon if you don't stop acting like such a little wiener, darc_kinght. You asked for other people's opinions and you got them.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I rated Full Metal Alchemist "Good", and it probably barely makes my Top 50 list. The story wasn't particularly grabbing, and I personally thought that it was stretched out longer than it should have been (26 episodes probably would have been sufficient). It was sort of detached uin a way, and that it took longer than it should've to get somewhere. The characters were good and pretty well developed, but, IMO, nothing amazing that would distiguish them from any other characters in good anime (I didn't find the deaths particularly moving either). The philisophical elements were incorporated fairly well, but a quick watch of Lain would make everything in FMA seem like child's play.

Wolverine Princess wrote:
The nonstop discussion of alchemy reminded me too much of card battles in Yugioh. I got a too much of a "Believe in the heart of the alchemy, Ed!!!" vibe from it to watch it without giggling.

I remember you posting something about that a while back, and I actually laughed out loud after reading "believe in the heart of the cards, Edward!"
trebors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
not really but its an very good anime ohh i forgot,i rated it as masterpiece and its in my top 10
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote
darc_knight wrote:
Gundam Seed? That anime made you cry probably so you have to say it is better? [....] It probably has tremendous amount of dramatic scenes that make you want to cry...
So, you're criticizing other anime because people might like them for their tearjerking potential? Where do you think a large portion of FMA's popularity comes from? In every "crying over anime" thread that I've seen, certain moments in FMA always get mentioned, namely spoiler[the deaths of Maes Hughes and Nina.] Apparently you don't think it's valid to "measure in tears" to determine how good a series is, yet FMA is also an anime that tries to be emotional enough to "move" its audience. I did like FMA a lot, though sometimes I wonder if I'm overrating it due to its popularity and how much some of my friends like it.
Just FYI, I rank FMA #4 on my list, behind Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (a tragic high school love story / soap opera anime), Fruits Basket (people turn into animals when hugged, laughter and tears ensue), and Scrapped Princess (sci-fi/fantasy anime from the same studio as FMA with magic, mystery, and philosophy).
You're welcome to have FMA as your favorite anime, but trying to convince everyone else that it's somehow "the best" is a battle you'll never win.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7