• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA, the best anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone think any other anime to be better than Full Metal Alchemist? It simply is the best anime ever created. The incrdible action, drama, character build-up, plot, and most importantly the use of alchemy cannot be matched by any other anime.

My first anime to see was FMA, and since then I just can't seem to like any other animes more.
Anyone agree why FMA is so good?

[EDIT: Changed the topic name to better fit the content. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I like Legend of the Galactic Heroes more. Sure it's older, but there's something special about it.

Anyway, while FMA is pretty good, it isn't the end all of anime. You'll eventually find something you enjoy better, usually.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I've seen up to episode 36 and its alright so far, but its not the "greatest anime ever" by any means. It's still a shonen action anime, just perhaps a bit deeper than average. But at this point, I don't think its any deeper than Rurouni Kenshin. So it has a 'philosophical' theme. Big deal.

I'm curious, what other anime have you seen? Declaring the first anime you see while only watching a couple other series like Love Hina and DBZ is just a tad bit on the presumptious side.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Anyway, while FMA is pretty good, it isn't the end all of anime. You'll eventually find something you enjoy better, usually.

Actually FMA is a great series something that should be in awe of, in one of few mainstream titles that actually has the ability to deliever.

With such a rare blend of drama and comedy, this series does such a good job on questioning our moral issues.

But like Steven said, takes some time you'll find something that will be great, may not be the FMA but it will be something you enjoy. I had similar withdrawal from Monster ending, I was such a mess knowing that the greatest series (live action or anime) was over. But in time I was able to find more show that I love and was able to find something to keep my mind off of Monster.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't "Is FMA the Best Anime ever?" be a better thread title?

As for FMA being the "perfect blend of comedy and drama", I disagree. I really didn't care for the so-called "comedy" in FMA. I don't recall ever laughing (even silently) throughout the whole series. Ed being self-conscious about his height isn't great comedy. It's certainly got a good story, but the comedy is typical shonen comedy at best.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anyone think any other anime to be better than Full Metal Alchemist? It simply is the best anime ever created.

There's no such thing as an anime that virtually agrees to be "The Greatest Ever" since everyone has different tastes. (Well, I guess Evangelion has a HUGE following, but it doesn't make the cut.) Personally, I don't have any specific anime that I prefer vastly above all others. All my favorite series/movies are pretty level with each other in terms of how much I like them.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
As far as the comedy goes...I never thought it was that funny, but that didn't make it any worse for me. I thought of the comedy as more of a light-hearted thing than full out laughter.

The series I think is quite good though. The beginning tricks you almost. It's much more action etc oriented at first and when I first saw spoiler[That huge nasty bird created from all the small dead ones chanting "Roze.....Roze....", it was kind of freaky].

The thing that solidified the serious nature of the show for me was when spoiler[Scar killed the chimera of the guy's daughter/dog. It's been way too long for me to remember the names. I was so...beaten down by what happened. I thought it was terrible, the act itself, but as for substance material was quite goood.]

Good? Yeah. Best ever? For some, it definitely could be. If someone tells me Ronin Warriors is their most favorite/best anime ever, I'd be kind of wary of validating that opinion...but FMA I think can fit the bill. It's just not mine.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone think any other anime to be better than Full Metal Alchemist? It simply is the best anime ever created.

There's no such thing as an anime that virtually agrees to be "The Greatest Ever" since everyone has different tastes. (Well, I guess Evangelion has a HUGE following, but it doesn't make the cut.) Personally, I don't have any specific anime that I prefer vastly above all others. All my favorite series/movies are pretty level with each other in terms of how much I like them.

I have to agree with Wolverine Princess. Everyone's opinion is different. If I was to list a greatest anime, mine would be Ceres. Admittedly FMA is one of my top ten favorites, but that just for right now! Next year, it may drop off and something else will take it's place. I think its the same way for everyone.

I'm glad you enjoyed FMA, Darc-knight and I hope that you will find many more that you will enjoy.
RDespair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw Slayers, I thought nothing would ever top it (it was the first anime series that I owned) Now it's not even in my top 10 (although Slayers Next is, mostly for nostalgia's sake).

Thinking of my favorite series, most of them are series that I've seen this past year. Trigun (I know it's old, but I never got a chance to really see it before a few months ago), R.O.D. TV, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, When the Cicadas Cry, etc. I still have a warm place in my heart for many of the series I started out with, but I'm a long ways from believing that I'll ever find my own personal perfect anime - there's just too much good stuff constantly coming out and old stuff that I need to get around to watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Threads like these make me sad that not enough people have seen Giant Robo.

Now *that's* the best. It's not even an opinion. It's a FACT! : P

But, FMA is decent. I just disliked the second half, and the movie was pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.
nolifeking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:04 am Reply with quote
It really depends on what kind of things you are looking for.
I am certainly a hufe FMA fan, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its the best. If you think the character build up and drama was good, watch Naruto!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote
What's funny to me isn't that FMA has a lot of hype as being the "best anime ever", but more that everyone who has watched to show all the way through acknowledges it. They may not agree, and a large enough percentage of people don't agree so it's by no means unquestionable, but most people can see why it's the absolutely #1 favorite of so many people.

Is it the best ever? maybe, depending on how you look at it. Does it have the best animation ever? Nope. Does it have the best story? Not really, I can think of several other shows who's stories appeal more to me (at least in theory). Are the characters your favorites of all-time? Not mine. Is the world the best fantasty world ever? No matter how I look at it, Twelve Kingdoms takes this one.

FMA doesn't really take the cake in any single category that I can think of. What is DOES have though is a special sort of a quality, most likely in the form of the relationship between the brothers that is... almost indescribable in it's realism and depth.

To this day, I have never cried as early in a show as I did watching FMA. I cried at the end of the 3rd episode (the next closest was NANA, an amazing show btw, at episode 5) because I just could not handle it emotionally spoiler[ something about the idea that a 12 year-old and his 10 year-old younger brother burning their home because they are setting out on a journey to right their own wrongs, but burning their house they had lived in all their lives up until they then because they realized that once they left, they would not be turning back nor would they have a place to return to, just gets to me in a way I.... almost cry every time I think about it. ] I don't know what my #2 or #3 favorite episode of all time is, but the 3rd episode of FMA is without ANY doubt my favorite eps of all time. When I finished it and stopped crying so hard my lungs hurt, I thought to myself: "I don't know how long this series will be, I don't care if or how badly the show degrades, I will finish this show if I have to give up getting my college degree to do so" (ok ok, I gave up on number three pretty quickly, but I did ACTUALLY think that to myself)

This wasn't the first show I've seen, and I've seen others since then I acknowledge are done better (haruhi), but I don't think I'll see a show that tops FMA on my list for a long long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:17 am Reply with quote
Is it the best of it's subgenre? Yes, by far. The inventive battles, moral dilemmas, plot twists and above all the relationship between Ed and Al polevault it above all other fighting anime series in my mind. It's a fighting anime for people who don't like fighting anime which can equally be considered a fantasy about an epic war between "good" and "evil" scientist-magicians and their creations, a sci-fi/horror hybrid about the costs when mankind overreaches itself, and a drama about fraternal love; and I'll likely pick it up once it's available in box sets. Is it the best anime ever made, period? That I'm not so sure. Personally I'd probably put a handful ahead of it, and from the "Top" lists I've seen, public opinion (in the English speaking world at least) usually seems to consider the first Kenshin OVA the greatest anime ever made.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
Ok im just gonna say a few things

I think fma is awful and unbearable, it reminded me of pokemon the way that it was so childish and yet so annoying, the characters were awful and i swear they were gay as well as Ed being more annoying than hitomi from escaflowne which is not a good thing. I found the series slow, dull and extremely mainstream. It’s so mainstream it’s even on British tv.

Dude ok far enough if you watched plenty of anime to say that fma is truly the best. however if you haven’t I would strongly suggest you quit with the mainstream crap and get on with some real anime which has meaning and does more than just entertain.

Space
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
Ok im just gonna say a few things

I think fma is awful and unbearable, it reminded me of pokemon the way that it was so childish and yet so annoying, the characters were awful and i swear they were gay as well as Ed being more annoying than hitomi from escaflowne which is not a good thing. I found the series slow, dull and extremely mainstream. It’s so mainstream it’s even on British tv.

Dude ok far enough if you watched plenty of anime to say that fma is truly the best. however if you haven’t I would strongly suggest you quit with the mainstream crap and get on with some real anime which has meaning and does more than just entertain.

Space

There's so much that's wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin. But so far, that was the lowest post I've ever seen on this forum.

Getting back to the point, I think "the first anime" holds a special meaning to everyone. Especially if they were all the more popular. My first anime was Elfen Lied, I've watched it four times over at least, and I still think it has the greatest ending out of over 200 titles I've watched.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7