• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z (PPGZ)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Do we consider this a "cartoon" or an "anime", since it's technically a re-make of what would be considered a "cartoon"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
straydog-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It reminds me alot of Magical DoReMi.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:
Do we consider this a "cartoon" or an "anime", since it's technically a re-make of what would be considered a "cartoon"?

PPGZ is an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
I like series which do have a well-written plot. I mean, the PPG fight 'just to save the world', but just that. No side stories, no other P.O.Vs... And I insist they were a badly made parody of Japanese anime.

The characters just fight to save the day-- but since they are of grade-school age in PPG, what else do you want them to do?

The genius of PPG lies in how the other characters handle situations in which they find themselves. While the PPG don't realize it, they get exposed to adult situations in a non-adult way. I recall an episode where the usual characters ended up switching bodies and Professor Utonium was walking around dressed like a woman--only he had small pieces of paper covering the nicks and cuts he had from shaving his hairy legs. The Mayor of Townsville looked pitiful as a woman in that same episode. On the surface, this episode looks pointless, but it's possible there were subversive messages contained within this plot. We have to remember that a significant portion of the fan base for PPG is older than 21.

How this aspect of PPG translates to PPGZ, though, I can't say. I still don't understand why the anime characters have to undergo transformations when the characters from the original series never transformed (they simply were). I wasn't able to get a good look at Mojo Jojo from the videos I saw at the links posted earlier, so I won't comment on him. Also, does anyone know if Sara Bellum was given the fanservice treatment in PPGZ?

BTW-- what does the Z in PPGZ mean?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Tetsujin wrote:

Maybe it's like Dragon Ball Z. Or maybe they just had to add something to avoid legal issues. But think of all the series that have had Z added to the end of the title. Z I think has some kind of special meaning in Japan.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
This is a short clip that was made a while ago of the anime, the characters' appearances have kinda changed since then, but it gives a sort of preview of what to expect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiERXEph5qY

To be quite honest, I think it looks cool and will probably check it out. I like the song too. I think we can be sure it won't carry over anything of what appealed to older audiences, this is obviously targeted at kids. That being said, I still think it will be a fun show, and will at least carry over the energy of the original.
At least it's not this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyoay-31Zkk
(Bubbles' hair is clever lmao)
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
I am looking to see this eries subbed very soon. I also hope they put it on Cartoon Network.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
The transformation sequence reminds me of the ones in Magical Doremi, especially the later seasons. It also makes me think that their power has been changed.

In PPG, they were powerful because the Professor created them and accidentally used 'Chemical X'. It couldn't be turned off, they always had the power and used it publicly whether fighting crime or not. Then they had other special powers, like spoiler[Blossum's ice breath and Bubbles talking to squirrels] that varied their individuality.

But in this PPGZ, it seems as if their power comes from that device/ring combo thing they're using in the transformation sequence... like a borrowed aspect from Magical Doremi (or some magical girl cliche?). The opening/other clips make it seem that they can only use these special attacks; yo-yos, bubbles, and that hammer 'toy' thing. I haven't seen them straight up hit/punch/kick anything. I suppose that's not something little girls do. Are they going to stick with just those three attacks or do they make up combos and get new 'toys'? Getting new 'toys' would seem kinda Bonds-esque. Gadget of the week! or something.

And I'm not really sure why I seem so interested about this... PPG was an ok show that I'd watch if I flipped on to it, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. And I don't typically watch magical girl shows. I guess I'm just curious like some other people. Confused
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:

Does it really matter one way or the other?
Danno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Well, having watched the OP on Youtube, I have to ask: Were they trying to make even the opening formulaic? This one really seems to have been squeezed out of the generic anime OPs factory late on a Friday.

I really, really hope the show in general isn't going to be as cliched as it looks, but if they're forcing the PPGs into the magical girl forumula it'll be hard for it not to end up crappy. Alright, so they have transformation sequences now. Somebody please tell me they're not doing the standard magical girl bit where none of their friends recognize them in costume despite the fact that they look exactly the same.
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching episode one. It doesn't bode well for the series as a whole. The fights were poorly animated, Mojo Jojo was pretty lame, much of the music sounded like a cheap indie videogame (I liked the opening song for some weird reason though), and it looks like the only powers that the girls have is the ability to fly and hit things with their cute weapon of choice. I chuckled once and smiled a few times, but on the whole it looks to be a pretty generic magical girl anime. It's cute and young girls will probably like it, but that's about it.

Oh and the mayor's assistant didn't get the crazy fanservice makeover I was expecting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
I seriously almost squealed out loud when I saw the characters - They're so cute! I saw a doujinshi with mahou-shoujo-looking, anime-style Powerpuffs, and thought it was cute, but I didn't think that there would be actual anime show with the characters so soon.

They really are adorable, way cuter than the DoReMi girls or even Ichigo and the Mew Mews. I'd check out the show just for the novelty factor...And the PPG gals look so much more stylish now.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
Tetsujin wrote:
The Z is a reference to Chemical Z, which is the chemical that creates the Powerpuff Girls in this version of the series. Anyway, I just watched the first episode and I personally was very disappointed with it. This is sad for me because I was really looking forward to it but it just ended up being another generic magical girl series with the PPG inserted into it. There wasn't anything special about it that made it stand out from other magical girl anime and some of the slapstick humor in the middle of a battle felt really out of place. I mean, that kind of humor worked fine in the original PPG cartoon, but it just feels so strange in the anime version, maybe because the girls are older in this series, so it doesn't seem as cute or maybe it's because none of the jokes were actually funny. The animation was kind of crappy but I liked Blossom's and Bubbles' new character designs. Everybody else wasn't anything special though and felt like they came straight out of Astro Boy and I still can't get used to Buttercup's new character design or her voice. I hope things get more interesting later on. They'd better at least have some sort of complex love triangle to hold my interest or I might just give up on this series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
Just saw the video clips...Pretty surprised that they loaded so fast on my slow-as-heck computer. One of the posters was right, the theme song does sound like Coheed and Cambria. Anime smile But the animation is pretty good, much better than any American cartoons aimed at young kids. Seems like it should be a really fun show, with a lot of similarities to Doremi.

I am kind of dissappointed that it probably won't have any of the original PPG powers that made the girls original, such as the aforementioned ice breath and talking to animals. Also, it would be much more entertaining if they had their powers 24 hours/day, like in the original cartoon, instead of transforming. But I do like the transformation sequences, and the weapons seem fun, though I do wish Buttercup didn't look so much like a boy...

But I don't expect it to be groundbreaking in any way, shape, or form. It's just another anime created to make money off of an already-popular franchise, so I doubt they'll try anything very original.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Another great song from Nana Kitade; and a cool-looking intro to boot.

The transformations were done nicely. Love the dance Bubbles does Laughing. Also, was it me or does Buttercup's theme sound like it was done by techno-icons Daft Punk?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3