• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haruhi Suzumiya, and ANN user rating

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shehzad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
OK, I have seen some Haruhi Suzumiya and in [my] opinion its has some good bits and some bad parts. I have looked at the user rating and it has a very good user rating. I then looked in more detailed and i saw something which surprised me. There were nearly 60 people who had rated Haruhi Suzumiya [worst ever], now when i hide the details the graph does not show a long red bar which represents the 60 people. So why have not ANN show this bar.
Haruhi Suzumiya to MY OPINION I always thought it was slightly overrated but if they can show some 300 users for master rating could they show a bar for worst ever to.
It probably a over exaggerating result but They can still show a red bar at least for worst ever.

sorry for double post.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
Many of those "worst ever" ratings are spam. Note that the ratings are in every single language. This title isn't the only one that has been spam, but the Encyclopedia is set up such that the spam doesn't affect the ratings.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
That and those 60 people are a precentage of the whole which is 519 people, so 60 people to 519 people is realativly small. Though the red line should look a little bigger it is as one3rd said.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not 60 people. It's 60 votes. There's a difference.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
actually i think the 300 masterpice rating is far worse. i mean it's ranked like the second best anime ever, and it's not even over yet. it's insane
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
actually i think the 300 masterpice rating is far worse. i mean it's ranked like the second best anime ever, and it's not even over yet. it's insane

Actually that is the hole of the encyclopedia rating. This isn't done by people ranking which is their favorite, second favorite etc.. instead it's done by giving a rating of 1 - 10, 1 being worst and 10 being best. For everything that amazed people, a 10 is usually given. Suzumiya Haruhi gets a lot of 10s, because it does in fact amaze a lot of people with the quality of the series. Also, whether a show is finished or not doesn't really matter, because the ratings can be changed at any time.

Each form of rating has its own problems. However, just because they have their own problems with shows that aren't reviewed as much, doesn't mean that the show isn't as good as people says.

Personally, having seen most of the series on the ANN top 30 or so, I will say that Suzumiya Haruhi is worthy of its 2nd place. I gave it a masterpiece rating after seeing the third episode, and it hasn't let me down since. Even if it did let me down, I'd simply go and change the rating to what I felt was worthy.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Actually that is the hole of the encyclopedia rating. This isn't done by people ranking which is their favorite, second favorite etc.. instead it's done by giving a rating of 1 - 10, 1 being worst and 10 being best.

Higher ratings generally do translate to higher personal rankings, so using personal rankings rather than a 1-10 rating really wouldn't be helpful at all. And it's important to note that SHnY has a high ranking using a statistical system that tends to pull titles with fewer votes towards the mean. Meaning that a title is only ranked very high or very low if lots of people rate it very high or very low. Where some people have decided that the high ranking is a flaw of the Encyclopedia, it is, in reality, an indicator of the international phenomenon that SHnY is. And given time, as more people see it, chances are that the overall rating will decrease somewhat.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The reason it has such a high rating in my opinion? Try as hard as I might, I can think of not a single thing that is wrong with the anime. The animation is unquestionably among the best I've ever seen, and far exceeds most in a few scenes. The characters are very memorable for such a short series. The story is almost a parody it's so stereotypical, but the writing turns an otherwise potentially bland show into something much more.

I would rate it a 10 if for no other reason than the script. If you think it doesn't deserve a 10/10, i'm curious, what show has a better more clever script than this one (because god knows I'd love to see that show)? For that matter, what show that even falls remotely into the same genre does ANYTHING better? The only thing I think COULD be better is the score, but to be honest I actually like some of the songs enough to listen to them on their own...

Somewhere I said something like: "There are other shows I like more, but this is possibly the only one I would give a score of 11/10 to if I could."

It's safe to say this would not be anywhere near as interesting of a story without Kyon, but since he has something near 40% of the lines (maybe more) you can't really discount him Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
patch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Many of those "worst ever" ratings are spam.

Interesting, I think many of those "Masterpiece" ratings are spam.

I think that rating should be be reserved for completed works, not ongoing series, it's unforunate that most here don't agree and the fanboys take over the ratings.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree that some people automatically vote "Masterpiece" even when they didn't feel it was such to bolster the rating, and others vote "Worst Ever" just to drag the rating down. Although, I think that if all the "spam" ceased to exist on either side of the rating scale, the rating of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu would probably not change much (Equivalent Trade?).
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
one3rd wrote:

I think that rating should be be reserved for completed works, not ongoing series, it's unforunate that most here don't agree and the fanboys take over the ratings.

Does the fact a series isn't over effect the quality of the series? And like people have said already, you can change your rating if the series is over. I dont think putting down people who like a very well-made anime is very thoughtful as it seems you have. Even if you don't like the genere, like selenta said, it's the best of its genere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Hoenheim wrote:
Even if you don't like the genere, like selenta said, it's the best of its genere.

It's the only of it's genre: Haruhiism.

From what I've seen, there is no anime even remotely like Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. You can slap on it the genres "Slice of Life," "Ecchi," "School life," "Comedy," or "Science Fiction," but in the end, it is vastly different from any anime in any of those genres.

While I think some of the "Masterpiece" ratings of this series are inflated, I think a great majority of them are well-deserved. The series was rated extremely high after two episodes aired, and ten episodes later, its rating pretty much hasn't moved. It is possible that Haruhi's rating may drop a bit after the whole series has aired or more people have seen it (although a lot of people have seen it already), but seeing as how most of the episodes have already aired without a sway of opinion, I think Haruhi will at least remain on the Top 10 list for quite a while.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
one3rd wrote:

Except the "worst ever" ratings were all done by one unhappy person. The "masterpiece" ratings have all been submited by different people who agree the series is a masterpiece.

patch wrote:

No, that wouldn't work. There's too many series that go on forever. Going by that, series like Naruto would not have any ratings right now and... that just wouldn't work.
patch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Interesting, I think many of those "Masterpiece" ratings are spam. I think that rating should be be reserved for completed works, not ongoing series, it's unforunate that most here don't agree and the fanboys take over the ratings.
PantsGoblin wrote:
Except the "worst ever" ratings were all done by one unhappy person. The "masterpiece" ratings have all been submited by different people who agree the series is a masterpiece. No, that wouldn't work. There's too many series that go on forever. Going by that, series like Naruto would not have any ratings right now and... that just wouldn't work.

I was stating my opinion on using the "Masterpiece" rating. I personally think that rating should be reserved for completed works, not a partially completed work.

Perhaps if those using this rating for incomplete series should know what the word means. Don't think it will matter though, fanboyism will always win Laughing
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:

Perhaps if those using this rating for incomplete series should know what the word means. Don't think it will matter though, fanboyism will always win Laughing

um... how can a series not be an outstanding work of art if it's not finished? Also, its not very considerate saying "fanboyism will always win" at people rating a great series as a great work of art, what it is. Picasso was the best at what he did; you can not like his art but his art pieces are still masterpieces because theyre great works of art, under the restrictions of his style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4