• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genshiken - Kousaka Is Such An Idiot

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
God Gundam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
This thread is about the anime Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture.

Okay, so even though he doesn't look like an otaku, Kousaka definitely has the interests of one. But he has a hot girlfriend who he completely ignores. I mean, she gets drunk and wants to go to a hotel, but this moron decides it's more important to go the the mall and get a CD signed by some voice actress. Also, he's completely clueless. She changes her shirt and tells him not to turn around, so he just sits there playing video games and says, "Sure, whatever." I just want to jump into the TV screen and punch his lights out. I feel bad for Saki.

Point is, Kousaka and other characters like him don't deserve girlfriends. And he really needs to get other interests besides anime.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
My friend, this behavior can and does carry over to Otaku in real life. I was specifically told by my boyfriend that, when Kingdom Heart 2 released, I needed to find another ride home from work becuase he would not be available for the next 24-36 hours. And I don't mind- I have told him before I'm not hanging out with him after work becuase my new FMA DVD came in the mail and I have to go watch it.

I think it's more impressive that Kousaka doesn't take advantage of an obviously willing girl that (in the first episode, anyway) he's not interested in. Not that it ever crossed his mind to do so. Very Happy

(I should really pick this up and watch more than just that first episode.)
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
I think you're missing the point. He's an otaku, meaning that his obsession for video games (as well as many other things) outweighs his obsession for a girlfriend. Yes, he's also very clueless and slow (or completely stopped?) to pick up on Saki's signals but that's what the anime wants to convey: the case of a handsome otaku who actually had girls fawn over him throughout his life.

EDIT: The real life example of an otaku just beat me to the post! /sarcasm
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1