• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Stay Night ending *SPOILER WARNING*

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lion-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:45 am Reply with quote
i thought it ended off nicely
no gain no hurt Neutral
but that "this rest is gonna be longer" thing made me think.. what if? ya know? but w/e good ending to me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
lion-san wrote:

Quote:
i thought it ended off nicely
no gain no hurt
but that "this rest is gonna be longer" thing made me think.. what if? ya know? but w/e good ending to me

"what if" what if what??????
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
I didn't really like the entire last sequence of episodes, as it all felt extremely rushed. As already mentioned, more character development would have been nice, rather than trying to bring a conclusion to the holy grail war. For instance, the last part of 24 bringing closure for Saber and Shirou was nice. If only more was done with their backstory it would have made it more solid in my opinion. It isnt a bad series by any means, but I was a little disappointed.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
I didn't really like the entire last sequence of episodes, as it all felt extremely rushed. As already mentioned, more character development would have been nice, rather than trying to bring a conclusion to the holy grail war.

I'd have to agree with you there. I didn't like it rushed at all. But it was an 'alright' ending I guess i'd say. The series was an overall Good. A happy but sad ending isn't it. Saber gets to go back! Razz
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote
I like the ending overall, but as mention previously how sad that spoiler[Saber and Shirou can't be with one another. I mean I realize that they will be in each other memories, and Saber will be able to dream a long time of what her life would of been like with Shirou. ] One thing that I am little upset about is the previously metion Archer line, and how that would have played out. I wonder if there will ever be any plans to make some OVA with the all the different storyline that come from the videogame. Doubtful but hey you never know, it could happen Very Happy oh well I can't wait to see how the dub turn out when it reaches stateside.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
DaZ616

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the final ep to FSN.

I can say that i am "satisifed" with the ending but it led me asking to many q's in my head.

Can anyone tell me who "bedivere" is in ep 24?????.
I wasnt sure who she was and why she was so emotional whilst talking to king Arthur.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
It seems she's her "right hand man" so to speak. Though she's not in the King Arthur legend.
Zaraki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
Can anyone tell me who "bedivere" is in ep 24?????.
I wasnt sure who she was and why she was so emotional whilst talking to king Arthur.

omar235 wrote:
It seems she's her "right hand man" so to speak. Though she's not in the King Arthur legend.

Yes, "she" is. Bedivere was a Knight of the Round Table who, like in F/SN, returned Excalibur to the Lady of the Lake.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Fate/stay night was a pitifully bad series, and Geneon deserves to lose BIG for (in hubris) licensing it before an initial run. Quite a pity, too, since there was great potential for TYPE-MOON's "second chance" at not-screwing up.

FSN the series isn't horrible, just "generic" in virtually every concievable way. Aside from the voice acting and pretty good music, FSN reeks of low-budget despite the massive hype/promotion of the series. I'd even go so far as to say Tsukihime's adaptation was superior to it.

Ultimately, FSN was created to make money, and TYPE-MOON expects large sales in America...so, I think we should all give them a hearty bird and simply not endorse the English production.

Such is the double-edged sword of fansubbing. On the right hand, a good series gets free promotion and recommendation (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), and on the left, a series gets bashed/criticized/berated for being cheap (Fate/stay night).

Then there is the rare exception of a bad series getting massive popularity (Gun Musashi) and a good series getting overlooked (Utawarerumono).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Ultimately, FSN was created to make money, and TYPE-MOON expects large sales in America...so, I think we should all give them a hearty bird and simply not endorse the English production.
Wow how completely selfish you are. This is actually why anime fans have such a bad name, because of people like you who will watch an entire series fansub and then declare it as a cashcow and will not support the show in the english release. Or just as bad as the people who won't watch the english release of a series because they feel that the company (that license series/show) will put out an unfaithful sub, and Fansub are the ultimate translation. And no TYPE-MOON was trying to make a series that wasn't actually available to many people. so therefore an anime show makes this available to a bigger market.

Zaraki wrote:
Yes, "she" is. Bedivere was a Knight of the Round Table who, like in F/SN, returned Excalibur to the Lady of the Lake.

According to some myths in King Arthur's tale Merlin actually returns the sword to the lake, but then again it hard to know exact tale of Arthur. Isn't King Arthur tale base on many legends throw together, well at least that what the A&E documentary stated when the new King Arthur movie was being released.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Wow how completely selfish you are. This is actually why anime fans have such a bad name, because of people like you who will watch an entire series fansub and then declare it as a cashcow and will not support the show in the english release. Or just as bad as the people who won't watch the english release of a series because they feel that the company (that license series/show) will put out an unfaithful sub, and Fansub are the ultimate translation.

Uh? As I so nicely phrased in my previous post, fansubs are a double-edged sword. If the Anime sucks, it deserves to be bashed so as to send a signal to the producers/studio in Japan to reconsider making such a poor show. If it's good, free publicity.

Ever hear of "Naruto"? I doubt the Naruto franchise would be as big as it is without momentum from the internet. And, I've yet to see the fansub community severely cutting into Viz Media's profits...if anything, they add fuel to the fire.

There are some studios that would rather not risk having their productions revealed to be cheap, so they prosecute fansubbers, a la Media Factory. I'm sure everyone knows what became of that mess.

Furthermore, you're implying that declaring any Anime to be a "cashcow" is immoral. The fudge? Do you honestly think Anime is created for "artistic/intellectual expression"? Miyazaki's movies...yes. Fate/stay night? Heck no.

And a show being labeled as a "cash cow" does not necessarily imply the show sucks. Ghost in the Shell is the biggest "cash cow" Anime of the century, but it's uniformly high quality, well acted, written, immersive and entertaining. Just because it was made solely for money doesn't mean it has to be a piece of trash.

Deltakiral wrote:

And no TYPE-MOON was trying to make a series that wasn't actually available to many people. so therefore an anime show makes this available to a bigger market.

Wow, your insight into TYPE-MOON's internal structure of marketing is stunning. I should note that TM basically consists of two perverted guys who are known bashers of their own fans, often making use of jokes/tricks/half-truths to mislead them.

And, no, you're totally wrong on that last comment. TYPE-MOON/Studio Deen, like many of the Anime companies nowadays, expect America/The World to "gobble-up" any series, no matter how cheap, that comes to American shores. They expect definite dollars from America/The World, regardless of how poorly they draw a series; as such, why bother to have "as much appeal as possible"? Deen/TM can focus on pleasing the current fans in Japan while using the Anime as an outlet to attract newer ones.

One of TYPE-MOON's comments on their blog (regarding the end of the series) was something along the lines of this: "Don't spoil stuff that wasn't mentioned in the series, like Archer's identity! Instead, buy the game, for it is coming to the PS2 this fall!"

And, lastly...the Japanese fans bash FSN the Anime more than the English-speaking ones do. w.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I agree, Fate/stay night was a pitifully bad series, and Geneon deserves to lose BIG for (in hubris) licensing it before an initial run. Quite a pity, too, since there was great potential for TYPE-MOON's "second chance" at not-screwing up.

I love how, in this entire post, you seem to want to blame Type-Moon for EVERYTHING. Newsflash, genius, they didn't make the anime. They created the game the anime was based on. The closest they got to having any real input into the TV series was some creative consultation (which usually doesn't go very far, anyway). They aren't the ones who "screwed up," and they aren't the ones "being greedy."

Malintex Terek wrote:
I'd even go so far as to say Tsukihime's adaptation was superior to it.

Oh shut up, Tsukihime's anime was a slap in the face. More than 80% of the source material is cut out completely, and what's left in is warped and bastardized for the sake of cranking up the lame angst factor. Suddenly Shiki's a pathetic emo kid, suddenly Satsuki has no greater role in the story than to mope wistfully about nothing at all, oh, and just where in the hell do Kohaku and Hisui even fit into the story anymore?

Yeesh.

Malintex Terek wrote:

Yes, give Type-Moon the finger for creating a truly wonderful and immersive story that some other studio then went and made a less-than-stellar adaptation of. Oh, let's not condemn that studio for it, no. Brilliant plan. Rolling Eyes

And you know what? Fate/stay night actually wasn't that bad. It dragged way too much, neglected to develop anyone beyond Shirou, Saber, and for some odd reason Assassin, and the show's producers flat-out lied to the fans about the degree to which the game's three scenarios would be used, but it was actually a fairly solid show all the same. A good head and shoulders above most of the crap we've gotten in the past few years, to be sure, despite still being a notable disappointment in how it handled its much more masterful source.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

And you know what? Fate/stay night actually wasn't that bad. It dragged way too much, neglected to develop anyone beyond Shirou, Saber, and for some odd reason Assassin, and the show's producers flat-out lied to the fans about the degree to which the game's three scenarios would be used, but it was actually a fairly solid show all the same. A good head and shoulders above most of the crap we've gotten in the past few years, to be sure, despite still being a notable disappointment in how it handled its much more masterful source.

I agree. While F/SN was disappointing, it wasn't that bad and was still enjoyable (for me at least). I, for one, will buy Geneon's R1 release while praying for a remake by Kyoto Animation (who clearly doesn't mind remaking fairly recent series).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Thank you for Nagisa to the rescue, I agree with you completely. I really enjoyed Fate/stay night and I didn't have any prior exprience with the game. I did think at time was series was a little difficult and drag a bit, and some additional character development would of been nice. But given that it was only across 26 episode I thought overall it was an exciting series, and it would of been nice had it stretch across two season, so that all of the scenarios could of been shown.
Malintex Terek wrote:
Uh? As I so nicely phrased in my previous post, fansubs are a double-edged sword. If the Anime sucks, it deserves to be bashed so as to send a signal to the producers/studio in Japan to reconsider making such a poor show. If it's good, free publicity.

Uh? Thats your response? Also that double-edge sword (AKA Catch 22) is nothing but a way for people who are cheap and rather steal then support companies who take risk to bring anime to the states.
Malintex Terek wrote:
Ever hear of "Naruto"? I doubt the Naruto franchise would be as big as it is without momentum from the internet. And, I've yet to see the fansub community severely cutting into Viz Media's profits...if anything, they add fuel to the fire.

No what is this Naruto? But your wrong Fansubbing does hurt big name anime like Naruto, it's not like it needed to be fansubbed. Everyone in there brother knew about this show, if anything there are more people watching Naruto fansub, then on CN. I mean look how many times Answerman recieves email from people (who are watching a now licensed series) complaining about when the Fillers will end. Small unknown series are one that gain from fansubbing, remember fansubbing original purpose was to expose people to series not yet known about.
Malintex Terek wrote:
And a show being labeled as a "cash cow" does not necessarily imply the show sucks. Ghost in the Shell is the biggest "cash cow" Anime of the century, but it's uniformly high quality, well acted, written, immersive and entertaining. Just because it was made solely for money doesn't mean it has to be a piece of trash.
Next time I see Masamune Shirow I'll make sure to let me him known that his original idea was a cash cow, but a very good one. So now your mad at great shows? I mean every single GITS series/movie are very powerful and moving, there not cash cows because people recogize something great. And when something is great you will buy it, how does that make GITS a cash cow? Your dead wrong.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Thank you for Nagisa to the rescue, I agree with you completely. I really enjoyed Fate/stay night and I didn't have any prior exprience with the game. I did think at time was series was a little difficult and drag a bit, and some additional character development would of been nice. But given that it was only across 26 episode I thought overall it was an exciting series, and it would of been nice had it stretch across two season, so that all of the scenarios could of been shown.

Actually, it was only 24 episodes. And I really think adding an episode to the caster arc and another between it and the last arc could have fixed some things.

With another episode in the Caster arc, they could have explained what was going one between Caster and the ninja teacher better (apparently he was raised as an assassin but was trying to live a normal life or something, but the anime never mentioned anything about it) and the Rin/Sakura connection.

I'm sure those things were originally part of another scenario, but since this is a TV show they can't show the other scenarios so they need to explain that kind of stuff within the show.

I've heard that the Caster arc wasn't even part of the Fate scenario (which the anime ultimately followed more or less) in the game. To anyone who knows, is that true? And does the anime ending follow the Fate scenario exactly, or are there differences?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3