• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vandread question: Spoilers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have Vandread, I have watched it several times and just enjoyed the heck out of it.

Just a few questions though:

1) Is Hibiki related to spoiler[Magno Vivan (Pirate Capt.), Grand Ma, and Grand Pa? Or is he of the same "generation"] The reason I ask is because in the last episode, Hibiki is in danger and Grand Ma shreiks his name. So she was concerned for his safety.

2) Is Hibiki's grandfather spoiler[ really his grandfather or a sibling since "Grandfather" speaks so familarily to the above 3.]

I get the feeling that Hibiki is somehow related because of the spoiler[photo Magno has in her private quarters. But I'm not sure how and if he's related to the others.]

Thanks!
Kinkotsuman

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know about related. I think it's just because he was a baby back then, so everyone has a fondess for him as if he were family... or sumfin'.
blackmage

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I always though that Magno was Hibiki's sister and grandma and grandpa were his parents. He got frozen and put into a deep sleep but one day he just woke up and Jin(i think that was his anme) found him and became his grandpa. Probably thats why grandma was so worried in the end about him or he could just be come powerful human capable of destroying everything so he was put to sleep and she got worried because he woke up
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys.

Appriciate the information!
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
Hibiki is one of the 1st generation, he is Magno's younger brother and is closely related to Grandma and Grandpa (I don't know/remember if it was mentioned that they are his parents, but I think there are hints to his relationship with them). It just happen that he woke up late during his slumber. I don't know his relationship with Jin, he could be his uncle or his cousin. I didn't pay much attention to Vandread II's climax so I don't know if Jin called Grandpa/Grandma older sister/older brother but I think he did call them like that... I think...
blackmage

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
If I remember right, Magno caled Jin uncle Jin so that would make im Hibiki's uncle
omar235

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought Hibiki was Magno Vivian's cusin I didn't know he was her brother, Im pretty sure that "grandma" and "Grandpa" really are his parents. And I know that Jin is his uncle. Ill go with you guys on this.

Does anyone know what that thing is, that Meia wheres under her left eye. I missed the episode where they talk about her past.
blackmage

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it was a birthday present from her parents
Fenrir

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Actually Hibiki didn't wake up late from his Slumber he wasn't supposed to wake up at all at least not until after the harvest. That's what everyone on two planets were clones, they were to be sacrificed and then the other first generation humans were to be awoken. What I got from the anime is that Jin or someone else deliberately awoke Hibiki in order to debalance the council by having another member of the first generation that is awake that was not an old man or old women. At least that's what I understood. I would love to see a Vandread OVA or something just to see what happened afterwards it's an awesome anime.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:30 am Reply with quote
I just re-watched this and I have to admit I didn't catch the first time through but Grand Ma was Hibiki's mom and it's strongly hinted that Magnus is Hibiki's sister or half sister (going by the picture in her room and Hibki's memory flashbacks), so if Hibliki's Grandpa was Magnus's uncle, then he would be Hibliki's uncle, as well (however in Japan older males who are close to familes are called Uncle as well, so it could be he was just a friend of the family).

Now, I'm not sure Grand Pa was Hibiki's father (Grand Ma didn't seem to happy to be talking to Grand Pa and I had the feeling Hibiki's real father might be still in hibernation or dead but that's a theory) but it did seem the plan was to sacrifice both planets post colonial populations to the Harvisters and then re-awaken the still sleeping families of the leaders (the other reason I think Hibiki's father might actually still be in hibernation is that fact - Hibiki was a small child when they put him in there and someone would need to be around to look after him and this way only one parent would be sacrificed) Confused.

However, I don't think either planet really had clone populations. The men may have had a partical clone population (it's likely they may have been cloning the working class males) but it sounded more like the upperclass, at least, were splicing two male partners genes together and growing the results through some artificial means (you hear to male officers discussing making a baby together in the first episode, during the launch party scene). On the other hand, the genetic spicing seemed to be the only thing the women were doing because what they did after the spliced the genes into the egg, they were then putting the resulting babies into the Oma's and letting them carry the babies to term.

As for why Hiblki woke up - Grandpa (the uncle) mentioned that he just woke up on his own, 14 or so years before when Grand Pa started the work on turning the original colony ship into a new battleship. The fact Grand Pa had started workingo n the original colony ship is what re-awakened the Pixis to begin with. So while Grandpa didn't tell the rest of the group what had happened, t wasn't an attempt by Grandpa to destablize the rulers, per se. Instead, that was a nice side benifit for him.

What happened seems to be that everything that was going on in the story was because Hibiki was linked to the Pixis from when he had been a child and the Pixis decided to use him to fight back against the Red Pixis. So the Pixis was influencing Hibiki on some level from the first episode and the influence became both stronger and clearer after the Pixis reformed. The fact the Pixis absorbed the three girls and Bart when everything went "boom" (for lack of a better term) was just a happy accident for it (BTW, I think Pearo may have always been linked to the Pixis as well, which is why he suddenly reset to some sort of Pixis mixed in with original programming when Hibiki tampered with him).

Anyway, the fact the leaders knew what was going on is why they couldn't have cared less about the Nirvana's message. Now what was interesting was that it seemed that B.C. and the Doctor actually put things together (Magnus may have suspected what was up by the time they got home but never said anything). I wondered how much B.C. really knew about what was going on and why B.C. knew about it to begin with. Because B.C. seem to realize something was going on earlier than Magnus did but B.C. shouldn't have really known about what was going on unless it was just the fact that B.C. knew from their position in the military (as for the Doctor, I think he, after finding out who Hibiki was, just managed to put it all together but that was at the very end).

Anyway, I'm glad a re-watched the show during the recent Action Encore run because I did miss a few things when I originally watched it a year or so ago. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't pick up on Grand Ma's relationship to Hibiki and I also didn't realize until this run that Bart was right - he was also in the original "boom" zone when the Pixis went off (he was hiding in the statue just outside the hanger). I had originally thought Bart being able to pilot the Nirvana had to do with his just being the first person who tried (and it didn't want to replace him) but now I realize it had to do with the fact he was connected to the other four Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1