• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:
I can't believe I had to go to the third page for this; must be all the recommendation request posts...

"OMG! Liek herez a list of all 4 of the animays I seen. My favrit iz Teen Titanz! Can u recomend me a good new animay!?!?!" Rolling Eyes

-gecko- wrote:
My question after watching up to Ep 7 is in the Op sequence, spoiler[when two of the girls are in the naked spinning sequence, does Mion have a tatoo (or scar) on her back or am I just seeing things?]

You're not seeing things. spoiler[It's a tattoo. You should realize that, in Japan, tattoos, especially large ones like this one, are generally associated with criminals. It's a remnant of the custom of branding or tattooing convicted criminals (we had something similar in Europe, once, as anyone who has read Dumas will know) that has been turned into a symbolic act of subculture self-identification by the Japanese yakuza. These full-body tattoos (irezumi -- variously written 入れ墨, 入墨, 文身, 剳青, 黥 or 刺青) are a mark of yakuza affiliation.

If this leads you to the conclusion that the Sonozaki family is connected with the yakuza, then congratulations -- you just got part of the puzzle.]

-gecko- wrote:
Other than that I am in blissful ignorance of what's really going on and loving every minute of it!

I know that feeling. It's nice, isn't it?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quadraxis

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:

Other than that I am in blissful ignorance of what's really going on and loving every minute of it!

I feel the same way. After watching episode 7, I'd have to admit that I love this show, and I think it's definitely one of the better shows this season. I wonder if they can keep up the quality though.

This show is also the first anime that actually scared me. In ep 7, spoiler[the scene where Keiichi climbs the ladder at Rika's house, with Mion standing below. After Keiichi asks her something, she suddenly gets a really scary look on her face, starts blabbering all kinds of scary nonsense and you'll see the entire scene while she's looking the viewer in the face. I was sitting there in the dark (it was 2 a.m. or something) and she really scared me looking like that at me. I felt like I was having a nightmare.]

Weird feeling Smile .
teferi

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:33 am Reply with quote
[quote="Quadraxis"]
-gecko- wrote:

This show is also the first anime that actually scared me. In ep 7, spoiler[the scene where Keiichi climbs the ladder at Rika's house, with Mion standing below. After Keiichi asks her something, she suddenly gets a really scary look on her face, starts blabbering all kinds of scary nonsense and you'll see the entire scene while she's looking the viewer in the face. I was sitting there in the dark (it was 2 a.m. or something) and she really scared me looking like that at me. I felt like I was having a nightmare.]

Weird feeling Smile .

that's because oyashiro-sama's followers are lolis that have the ability to warp their face like silly putty Very Happy

now if they did that with the other parts of their body O_o;;

I found the whole scene kind of funny though, what spoiler[would she have done if he had fallen off the ladder on top of her? Very Happy]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
About the scene with the ladder...

spoiler[Did it occur to you to wonder why, despite the agitation evident on her face and body, her voice appeared almost calm, as if she were reciting a script, instead of in the throes of... whatever?

I realize that, if you're used to the oftentimes wooden and unemoting voice casts of American anime dubs, this isn't necessarily something you would notice -- but seiyuu Yukino Satsuki is not a hack. She's quite capable of injecting agitation into her voice to match that displayed on-screen. Yet she didn't.]

As for myself, I think the really scary sequence in that episode was spoiler[ when Furude Rika turned to Keiichi, smiled and calmly promised that "she would protect the cat"]. Brrr.... the hair still rises on the nape of my neck.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

spoiler[Did it occur to you to wonder why, despite the agitation evident on her face and body, her voice appeared almost calm, as if she were reciting a script, instead of in the throes of... whatever?

I realize that, if you're used to the oftentimes wooden and unemoting voice casts of American anime dubs, this isn't necessarily something you would notice -- but seiyuu Yukino Satsuki is not a hack. She's quite capable of injecting agitation into her voice to match that displayed on-screen. Yet she didn't.]

That scene felt quite strange for me as well partly because of that. I definitely was at least a bit creeped out but the scene just happened just so out of the blue and the facial expressions just seemed much too exagerrated for me to feel genuinely scared or anything. I'm guessing the final episode of this arc might explain this a bit further.

Quote:
As for myself, I think the really scary sequence in that episode was spoiler[ when Furude Rika turned to Keiichi, smiled and calmly promised that "she would protect the cat"]. Brrr.... the hair still rises on the nape of my neck.

Well, that part of the scene didn't necessarily do the same for me but just a little bit earlier in the scene, I noticed that the windows had this very eery glare effect from the sun so that the viewer could not see if anyone was watching these two characters Shocked. Just that little 1-2 seconds creeped me out.

Also, I'm wondering what was Rika doing there in the first place? She just appeared out of nowhere almost and it seemed like something had happened to her previously with her slightly disheveled look and going by the first few comments that she made.

I noticed Rena seems to be acting a little differently in this episode as well. spoiler[It's doesn't really seem suspicious, but she seems to act much more serious than usual while not appearing psycho.]

Anyway, the ending for this episode was awesome and I just cannot wait to see the next. From the looks of things, it seems like this arc is going to be another mind-bender just like the first. The first arc nearly drove me crazy trying to figure out what the heck really happened. I don't think I even want to bother thinking about who is really talking at the other end of the phone until I see the next episode.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- abunai

he? her voice is far from unemotive or like she's reading from a script.. it may start off a little like that... but the rest of the time she's pretty agitated...her voice may be lower in tone... but you're giving the seiyuu too much credit O_o

and overall the scene was pretty awkward ... especially with mion's mouth essentially hanging open while she goes on some rant ... but that was the animations fault more than the seiyuu's...

so far I'd have to say the crepiest part was probably this:

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=indexphp4mv.gif

something about rena looking like some drug addict after being shoved around by keichii was freaky O_o
sweet gimmick

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Umm..how many arcs, or story perspective things are there? Because I think I only saw the first arch...spoiler[ When Keii-chan is killed by the curse thing, in the phone booth].
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
he? her voice is far from unemotive or like she's reading from a script.. it may start off a little like that... but the rest of the time she's pretty agitated...her voice may be lower in tone... but you're giving the seiyuu too much credit O_o

No... you're missing something, but it's too much of a spoiler to post here, even in tags. Think, however, on the fact that you've already learned, in the first chapter (i.e. episodes 1-4 of the anime) that not everything you see is to be believed. Then compare her behaviour as you see it with her tone of voice.

teferi wrote:
and overall the scene was pretty awkward ... especially with mion's mouth essentially hanging open while she goes on some rant ... but that was the animations fault more than the seiyuu's...

Ummm....same answer. Rolling Eyes

teferi wrote:
so far I'd have to say the crepiest part was probably this:

http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=indexphp4mv.gif

something about rena looking like some drug addict after being shoved around by keichii was freaky O_o

Yah, that was pretty creepy. Compare that Rena with the Rena in the second chapter, and see if any interesting conclusions occur to you.

Believe me, though, Rika's promise was just about the creepiest thing in episode 7. Brrr...

- abunai
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

-gecko- wrote:
My question after watching up to Ep 7 is in the Op sequence, spoiler[when two of the girls are in the naked spinning sequence, does Mion have a tatoo (or scar) on her back or am I just seeing things?]

You're not seeing things. spoiler[It's a tattoo. You should realize that, in Japan, tattoos, especially large ones like this one, are generally associated with criminals. It's a remnant of the custom of branding or tattooing convicted criminals (we had something similar in Europe, once, as anyone who has read Dumas will know) that has been turned into a symbolic act of subculture self-identification by the Japanese yakuza. These full-body tattoos (irezumi -- variously written 入れ墨, 入墨, 文身, 剳青, 黥 or 刺青) are a mark of yakuza affiliation.

If this leads you to the conclusion that the Sonozaki family is connected with the yakuza, then congratulations -- you just got part of the puzzle.]

I was thinking it was something more supernatural than that, since only one of them has it and spoiler[the Sonozaki family being connected to the yakuza] has been explicitly stated in this arc and heavily implied in the previous one (or maybe its vice-versa or both were explicit).

Quote:
-gecko- wrote:

I know that feeling. It's nice, isn't it?

- abunai

Indeed it is. I like not knowing what's going on and trying to piece things together. I wish there were more anime like this.

abunai wrote:

- abunai

That scene didn't come off as scary to me, but know that I think about it spoiler[I don't think Rika meant that the way Keichi took it. And considering the whole "biased/filtered Keichi view" the show uses, I should have thought of that right way.]

As for the latter scene, once again, I suspect that what we don't see is very important (much like in episode 4 spoiler[ the time between the girls attempting to inject something into Keichii and Keichi beating their corpses is missing and is most definitely significant]).
teferi

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Yah, that was pretty creepy. Compare that Rena with the Rena in the second chapter, and see if any interesting conclusions occur to you.

you mean compared to this:

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=windhigurashinonakukoroni07v2x.png

I say she's still taking those drugs ...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
What I'm wondering at the moment, is if things from one scenario are applicable in the other scenarios even if they don't necessarily show up. Like, for example, is Rena spoiler[still a nutjob who went crazy with a baseball bat in her old hometown] in Watanagashi and it simply hasn't had a place to manifest itself, or does that only apply to Onikakushi-Hen?

Sort of like Fate/stay night, where spoiler[Sakura is Rider's real Master in all three scenarios, but it only really mattered to the plot during the Heaven's Feel scenario, and wasn't addressed until then as a result.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Naw, that's just Rena being Rena. I was thinking of the scene around the 12-minute mark in ep. 7 where spoiler[Rena is comforting a distraught Keiichi, in a tone of voice far more mature than her usual tone. She even drops most of her characteristic "ka na, ka na" terminals.

Oh, hey, and pay attention to what she says to Keiichi in that scene... there's a pretty important clue there, and it's easily missed.]

teferi wrote:
I say she's still taking those drugs ...

Hmm. I sometimes think the village has a copy of the mad Arab's tome stashed away. Rolling Eyes

- abunai
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
well finnaly am caught up with the episodes and Im just more confused then I started with.
the cringe factor in ep 8 was at a full tilt thu.
I have a feeling the detective knows alot more about whats going on then he lets on.

i think Keichi was spoiler[hallucinating do to pain killers at the end of ep 8 when Shion pops up and is like MHAHAHAHA now i finish it!]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't notice the Rena thing in 7, but in the car scene in 8 spoiler[Rena sounded like a completely different person. Not just more mature, but like someone else was doing her voice.]

Also, I think it's interesting that we never see spoiler[the scene shown at the beginning of the arc where Rika decides that stabbing herself repeatedly in the head would be a good idea].

And just like in episode 4, we are missing some critical moments in episode 8. spoiler[ We go from Shion (I think) about to taser Keichi or something to him and Shion (supposedly) being taken out in stretchers.] We are missing something important there. We can draw conclusions, but we don't know what actually happened there.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Also, I think it's interesting that we never see spoiler[the scene shown at the beginning of the arc where Rika decides that stabbing herself repeatedly in the head would be a good idea].

We can draw conclusions, but we don't know what actually happened there.
I think that happend when he is a on the phone and Mion or Shion I dont remember who calls him starts laughing manicly like in the opening scene
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30