• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
abunai wrote:
All right... let me just clear one thing out of the way:

spoiler[You cannot definitively trust what you see in a given scene.

Much of what you see in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is either filtered through misinterpretation, or otherwise tainted by a non-neutral point-of-view.

Just because you see it happening in front of you, doesn't mean you should believe that what you see is what actually happens.]

Keep that in mind.

- abunai

This is precisely the conclustion that I came to. The behaviour of some of the characters is on completely opposite ends, and often within one scene. I won't trust anything that I see in this series until the very end, where I assume the various threads will be tied together.

I agree with this. I didn't think of it until after someone mentioned something elsewhere, but you really do have to take what you see with a grain of salt. At this point, spoiler[we are seeing everything through Keiichi's point of view (more or less), and he just may be paranoid, drugged, or going insane.]

Anthony P wrote:

Speaking of my own ignorance, isn't that a pistol I see now and then under Mion's left arm? Why is this?! And if it's not a pistol, then why does it look like one so much?

Yeah, I noticed that in episode 5 (it was there before, but I didn't notice it until then). It seems really odd, especially since, the last I checked, Japan doesn't allow civilians (of any age) to carry firearms.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Ohhh, you never pull any punches, do you, abunai? Wink

It's not my wont, no.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Anthony P wrote:

Speaking of my own ignorance, isn't that a pistol I see now and then under Mion's left arm? Why is this?! And if it's not a pistol, then why does it look like one so much?

Yeah, I noticed that in episode 5 (it was there before, but I didn't notice it until then). It seems really odd, especially since, the last I checked, Japan doesn't allow civilians (of any age) to carry firearms.

spoiler[No, it's not a gun. But it's a pretty skillful piece of misdirection. And it is important, in a roundabout way.]

About the series:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni the anime is based on a wildly popular doujinshi game of the same name by O7th Expansion (matched in popularity only by TYPE-MOON's Tsukihime), which has been published in standalone "chapters". Each chapter features the same characters in more or less the same time frame, but with completely different events. So far, there have been four "question" chapters, and three "answer" chapters (the fourth is due later this year).

• Question chapters:
    • Chapter 1: Onikakushi-hen
    • Chapter 2: Watanagashi-hen
    • Chapter 3: Tatarigoroshi-hen
    • Chapter 4: Himatsubushi-hen

• Answer chapters:
    • Chapter 5: Meakashi-hen
    • Chapter 6: Tsumihorobishi-hen
    • Chapter 7: Minagoroshi-hen

So far as I can tell, the animators have chosen to translate each "chapter" into a subset of four anime episodes. Thus, anime episodes 1-4 match the game chapter Onikakushi-hen, the first "question" chapter. The next chapter is also a "question", Watanagashi-hen. It looks very much (at present) as if they are going to go all the way to the second "answer" chapter, Tsumihoroboshi-hen.

So we're not going to get the full "answer". Unless the anime is continued. *crosses fingers*

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I had suspected as much about the gun.

Considering how it is set up, I don't thik it would be too difficult to do the last two answer chapters as OVAs.

I didn't realize 07th Expansion was so popular. I don't think I've even heard of them before. What other games have they done? Have any of their other games been adapted into anime?
vanMould

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Keep that in mind.

- abunai

Ok...so the reason I'm getting bullied is because I believed what I saw? Damn anime can be cruel sometimes Razz
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Anthony P wrote:

spoiler[No, it's not a gun. But it's a pretty skillful piece of misdirection. And it is important, in a roundabout way.]

Abunai, did you find this out from the game? Because if this little detail is true, I sort of wish I had not viewed the spoiler. spoiler[Or did you just come to that conclusion logically based on knowing the current laws back then? Because the latest episode I've seen (episode 5) still does not spell it out clearly if it's either a gun or not. It sure looked like a gun though.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
vanMould wrote:
Ok...so the reason I'm getting bullied is because I believed what I saw? Damn anime can be cruel sometimes Razz

You're not getting bullied. You'll know when you're getting bullied because we'll tell you so. Wink

SnowfairyX wrote:
Abunai, did you find this out from the game? Because if this little detail is true, I sort of wish I had not viewed the spoiler. spoiler[Or did you just come to that conclusion logically based on knowing the current laws back then? Because the latest episode I've seen (episode 5) still does not spell it out clearly if it's either a gun or not. It sure looked like a gun though.]

No, I'm not guessing -- I know it for certain (in so far as anything can be known "for certain" with regard to this story), and I know what it is. But don't worry, because it isn't a significant spoiler (though I admit that you may feel differently now, you'll come around to my point of view later).

Here's how to confirm that I'm telling you the truth: Go to the opening sequence of episode 5, where Sonozaki is holding the object in question. Look at her hand as she holds it. See the finger positioning? If I tell you that spoiler[while it's not a gun, it can be used offensively], I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what it is.

But honestly... the nature of the object in Sonozaki's shoulder holster is a minor mystery, entirely peripheral to the storyline. A lot of fans have gotten sidetracked discussing it -- but it really is trivial.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anthony P

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Here's how to confirm that I'm telling you the truth: Go to the opening sequence of episode 5, where Sonozaki is holding the object in question. Look at her hand as she holds it. See the finger positioning? If I tell you that spoiler[while it's not a gun, it can be used offensively], I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what it is.

Mmm, staring at it presently. . .been staring at it for about five minutes now. . .it's really hard to make out, as the animators used a blurred and discolored effect around the frame's edges for this particular sequence. It almost looks like a spoiler[stun-gun of sorts]. I'm probably way off, but oh well; you deemed this trivial anyway, but I just couldn't help myself.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
Mmm, staring at it presently. . .been staring at it for about five minutes now. . .it's really hard to make out, as the animators used a blurred and discolored effect around the frame's edges for this particular sequence. It almost looks like a spoiler[stun-gun of sorts]. I'm probably way off, but oh well; you deemed this trivial anyway, but I just couldn't help myself.

spoiler[Give the man a cigar.]

- abunai
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Anthony P wrote:

Use of equipment of "that" kind is nowadays very severely restricted in Japan, although I'm not sure what the law was in 1983. Moreover, be aware that (at least in modern-day urban areas), carrying anything so gun-like in an armpit holster would get you arrested (especially a teenager). That Sonozaki (M or S or both) is packing that particularly menacing piece of equipment -in plain sight- is plausible only given it's a village, and a, hm, slightly peculiar village at that.

There is an eighth chapter, "Matsuribayashi-hen", that will be released this summer. The current series is supposed to cover the first six chapters... leaving two chapters available for a very yummy OVA series later on (ON YOUR KNEES, curs! pray to the Old Gods! Sacrifice to Cthulhu! Make it happen, people!).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
xuebaochai wrote:
Use of equipment of "that" kind is nowadays very severely restricted in Japan, although I'm not sure what the law was in 1983. Moreover, be aware that (at least in modern-day urban areas), carrying anything so gun-like in an armpit holster would get you arrested (especially a teenager). That Sonozaki (M or S or both) is packing that particularly menacing piece of equipment -in plain sight- is plausible only given it's a village, and a, hm, slightly peculiar village at that.

1. Ah, you noticed my spoiler[deliberately not mentioning the personal name of the girl with the weapon] -- well done!

2. Hinamizawa is a very strange village -- which is an important element of the story. And the Sonozakis have a special status, which is also important.

xuebaochai wrote:
There is an eighth chapter, "Matsuribayashi-hen", that will be released this summer.

Yah, that's the fourth "answer" chapter that I mentioned, earlier.

xuebaochai wrote:
The current series is supposed to cover the first six chapters... leaving two chapters available for a very yummy OVA series later on (ON YOUR KNEES, curs! pray to the Old Gods! Sacrifice to Cthulhu! Make it happen, people!).

"Iä! Shub-DEENorath! Black goat of animation with a thousand OVAs!"

By the pricking of my thumbs, something squamous and rugose this way comes....

- abunai
xuebaochai

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
By the pricking of my thumbs, something squamous and rugose this way comes....

Not to mention loathsome, blasphemous, non-Euclidian, and pre-sold in all markets.

BTW, how about now? France, Holland, Belgium and Norway?

p.s. shubDEENorath? Man, one of these days you're gonna get arrested (or devoured) for one of those.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
I've seen up to episode 6 as of now...

and while I see people going on about the fact it could just have easily have been a harem romance, that's not what stuck out for me. What really freaked me out was how the character designs. Something that loli in a show where the characters do stuff like beat their head on the point of a chefs knife....that's just creepy.

Although the facial expressions are probably the best part of the show. I mean sure the uncertainities that the characters have (particularly keichii) about what's going on and the whole conspiracy are pretty good in building up the atmosphere.... but nothing is more freaky than a loli with an ax that looks like she's a drug addict...

and when I noticed M's (is it safe to call her by her name now? Very Happy) holster the other thing that struck me was how keichii was dressed. He looks like some kind of male hooker.... anime having ridiculous outfits and all I'd usually accept it but this show seems to be makign an attempt at having a somewhat realistic setting...

so was that kind of thing normal in rural japan in the 80's or is keichii just some kind of deviant?

altho in respect to M's holster I'd have to say it's obvious even from the last arc (which still holds a little relevance to this one) that the crazy girls get a way with a bit more than would be regularly tolerated...and the local police is probably in on it to soem degree too...although stuff in ep 06 made it clear spoiler[what with the yakuza thing]
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
airsoft?
nm saw the spoiler tag.

damn I really need to watch ep 6.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I had to go to the third page for this; must be all the recommendation request posts...

My question after watching up to Ep 7 is in the Op sequence, spoiler[when two of the girls are in the naked spinning sequence, does Mion have a tatoo (or scar) on her back or am I just seeing things?]

Other than that I am in blissful ignorance of what's really going on and loving every minute of it!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Heh, I was in the middle of Ep 1 of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (with the happy part) when my friend (who is unfamiliar with anime) came over one day, and sees me watching. He asks, "Wow, is that Pokemon?"

Why yes, it is Pokemon. Plus violence, plus strange, nonlinear plot, minus...well, everything that makes Pokemon well...Pokemon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30