• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
On Mai-HiME/Otome (very long with SPOILERS).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
BES Null Core wrote:
About the My-Hime/My-Otome timeline:

My-Otome takes place around A.R. 330, A.R. being a fictional calendar used in the My-Otome setting. A.R. 0 should be keyed to some significant event. Because this is a calendar used by the people of My-Otome, the event be one that they recognize as significant. The most obvious choices are the alleged start of the immigration era and the arrival on the planet.

Let's suppose that A.R. 0 was in fact keyed to the end of the My-Hime Hime Carnival and see where that supposition takes us. In episode 3 of My-Otome 0, Miyu refers to the Blue Sky Sapphire as a super meister gem from the immigration era. The immigration era would be around A.R. 0 as the My-Otome inhabitants believe. This means that the Blue Sky Sapphire existed around My-Hime time. In the My-Hime time, Alyssa Searrs was the only artificial Hime, and the gem that binds her to the Searrs Foundation leader is red (see episode 15 of My-Hime). The Blue Sky Sapphire did not exist at this time. Thus, the immigration era, circa A.R. 0, is after My-Hime. Thus, A.R. 0 is not keyed to the end of the My-Hime Hime Carnival. My-Otome occurs more than 330 years after My-Hime.

Well I don't know what people minds, so I'm gonna post something about this whole fiasco between HiME/Otome connection, because none of you seemed to get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_universe_%28fan_fiction%29

Everyone seems on trying to crack all possibilities for HiME and Otome but in the end, no one even know about, It makes me laugh that people don't even understand what AU is all about and yes, I'm going that part. Seriously, this is why I prefer a sequel instead going AUish, it's not that enough to make more to give a good storyline and you see my post for bashing Otome and the connection then you understand it's completely rubbish it's just to use as service, fans should have known that along time ago. So this is real easy and I don't mind you continue your research on finding the connection on HiME and Otome but, you wont find nothing on what the creators would say and that's the truth. As a true HiME fan, Otome was beyond failure and with bad plot, also If they go to that connection, it would be the worst mistake ever. Seriously this is from a fanfic writer.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded, do I understand you correctly? You believe that everybody posting in this thread is wrong, except you, and that your unique qualification for this point is that you are a fanfic writer?

I have nothing much to say to this except to break out in gales of derisive laughter.

- abunai
I have never yet seen a fanfic writer who could muster even a semblance of legible English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
BlackJaded, do I understand you correctly? You believe that everybody posting in this thread is wrong, except you, and that your unique qualification for this point is that you are a fanfic writer?

I have nothing much to say to this except to break out in gales of derisive laughter.

- abunai
I have never yet seen a fanfic writer who could muster even a semblance of legible English.

Well.................................sort of man and all of the least that I was pretty astonished of HiME/Otome connection but you guys don't seemed to understand what the real basis of this story. I'm saying is plotlines and what really developed in all of this and also it's AU this is the same kind of crap that happened to Gundam but basically go back and do more projects for the franchise. You people really don't understand what AU is all about and tell to you the truth, you all people are really wrong and incorrect on the thesis. Even a five would do better on an AU series, too bad you guys wasted on your whole potential on making this thread.

{MODERATION EDIT: No, this is not your advertising space. - abunai}

Well yeah my grammar sucks, but I have interesting mind on these good fanfics I've done.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Well yeah my grammar sucks, but I have interesting mind on these good fanfics I've done.

Um, yeah, your grammar sucks bad. So bad in fact, that I'm really unsure of what you're trying to say. If you want people to take your argument seriously, I suggest to aim for clarity. I am in no way a grammar nazi, but seriously, your posts are quite difficult to decipher. And I used to correct English essays written by non-English speakers back in high school. Also, as an aspiring fiction writer myself, I would never even consider taking a look at any of your works just based on the display of your (lack of) writing skills in these posts of yours.

Quote:
Even a five would do better on an AU series, too bad you guys wasted on your whole potential on making this thread.

Okay, from what I can gather here, you're being a condescending A-hole. I take it you mean to say "even a five-year old(?) would do better"? Well now I'm laughing as well, for... obvious reasons... Laughing
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

Um, yeah, your grammar sucks bad. So bad in fact, that I'm really unsure of what you're trying to say. If you want people to take your argument seriously, I suggest to aim for clarity. I am in no way a grammar nazi, but seriously, your posts are quite difficult to decipher. And I used to correct English essays written by non-English speakers back in high school. Also, as an aspiring fiction writer myself, I would never even consider taking a look at any of your works just based on the display of your (lack of) writing skills in these posts of yours.

Quote:
Even a five would do better on an AU series, too bad you guys wasted on your whole potential on making this thread.

Okay, from what I can gather here, you're being a condescending A-hole. I take it you mean to say "even a five-year old(?) would do better"? Well now I'm laughing as well, for... obvious reasons... Laughing

Yeah,I just want to apologize of my actions and maybe I went too far. But still my word clear,yes I say things out of for no apparent reason and even doing run on sentences and not focusing, but still my reason of this connection is completly false even though I know alof of good series that make connection can have some things to back up along with sense and fact and yes a five year old would do better on making a great series. I wish they continue on HiME instead of making AU,but you people already know the outcome of Sunrise work do. If you don't then I'll tell you this,it's just fanservice, just fanservice.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. After just having watched My-Otome, I'll chime in with my thoughts. Note I have not watched Zwei or 0.

I think there are only two characters in My-Otome that are the same as in My-Hime: Miyu and Mikoto. That's it.

Miyu's general comments and knowledge imply she's the original Miyu, but the strongest proof is when she says she is a 'Multiple Intelligencial Yggdrasil Unit', but that she was given the name Miyu by someone she cared about. This implies a personal relationship with Alyssa Searrs. She also seems very familiar with Mikoto. Yes, this is not absolute proof, but it is strong enough for me to accept that the Miyu of My-Otome is Miyu of My-Hime.

As for Mikoto: others in this thread have given pretty certain proof that she's the same person. I don't see any reason to go over it again.

As for Nagi, as has been said, there are places in My-Otome where he appears younger in flashbacks. More importantly, it would be obvious if he didn't age and people didn't treat him as someone who was unaging; they treated him as a powerful noble.

More generally, while I commend the OP, I think the writers/creators had little interest in internal consistancy between My-Hime and My-Otome. Most of their decisions on people and events seems based on fan service instead. The way Mai was treated is, IMO, the most obvious example of this...

Although the Mai in My-Otome looks and sounds like Mai from My-Hime, they're NOT the same person. In fact, Mai even cooks for Mikoto (and is a good cook) and has the same element as Mai from My-Hime... and yet they're NOT the same. You see examples of this all over the place, often with role-reversals and allusions to the My-Hime character the Otome character was based on, such as when Natsuki jumped the motorcycle over the bad guys and dismounted with aplomb.

The reason I bring this up is that I think it's problematic to try to reason out the worldsetting of My-Otome too much. I don't think the writers paid much attention to trying to be consistant, and so there are a lot of things that wont make a lot of sense, or will be regulated to conjecture no matter how much effort you put in to analyzing things.

Speaking for myself, I would've enjoyed My-Otome a lot more if they'd refrained from trying to shoehorn the whole cast from My-Hime into a totally different setting that takes place 300+ years after My-Hime. I know that the whole reincarnation thing is big in the East, but really, this is more than a little excessive. I guess there's no such thing as excessive in the name of fanservice.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Hmm. After just having watched My-Otome, I'll chime in with my thoughts. Note I have not watched Zwei or 0.

I think there are only two characters in My-Otome that are the same as in My-Hime: Miyu and Mikoto. That's it.

Miyu's general comments and knowledge imply she's the original Miyu, but the strongest proof is when she says she is a 'Multiple Intelligencial Yggdrasil Unit', but that she was given the name Miyu by someone she cared about. This implies a personal relationship with Alyssa Searrs. She also seems very familiar with Mikoto. Yes, this is not absolute proof, but it is strong enough for me to accept that the Miyu of My-Otome is Miyu of My-Hime.

As for Mikoto: others in this thread have given pretty certain proof that she's the same person. I don't see any reason to go over it again.

As for Nagi, as has been said, there are places in My-Otome where he appears younger in flashbacks. More importantly, it would be obvious if he didn't age and people didn't treat him as someone who was unaging; they treated him as a powerful noble.

More generally, while I commend the OP, I think the writers/creators had little interest in internal consistancy between My-Hime and My-Otome. Most of their decisions on people and events seems based on fan service instead. The way Mai was treated is, IMO, the most obvious example of this...

Although the Mai in My-Otome looks and sounds like Mai from My-Hime, they're NOT the same person. In fact, Mai even cooks for Mikoto (and is a good cook) and has the same element as Mai from My-Hime... and yet they're NOT the same. You see examples of this all over the place, often with role-reversals and allusions to the My-Hime character the Otome character was based on, such as when Natsuki jumped the motorcycle over the bad guys and dismounted with aplomb.

The reason I bring this up is that I think it's problematic to try to reason out the worldsetting of My-Otome too much. I don't think the writers paid much attention to trying to be consistant, and so there are a lot of things that wont make a lot of sense, or will be regulated to conjecture no matter how much effort you put in to analyzing things.

Speaking for myself, I would've enjoyed My-Otome a lot more if they'd refrained from trying to shoehorn the whole cast from My-Hime into a totally different setting that takes place 300+ years after My-Hime. I know that the whole reincarnation thing is big in the East, but really, this is more than a little excessive. I guess there's no such thing as excessive in the name of fanservice.

Well to my consent and I've been trying to tell people, that If you gonna make an connection at least please be a little preferred to the story ahead and I watched Otome, Zwei and Sifr still I don't it's not good enough to be an connection for HiME. That's why people are just still not believing that Otome was bad and should've gave a continuation on HiME instead, It's just needs more depth and backstory. They just put all these blantent things and not showing what it all means. That's why telling the Otome fans the real truth about this series. I just the hope creators understand this.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well already I watched Mai Otome for at least two times already and it made me think that HiME and Otome connection is just plain retarded and not even gained more evidence to back it up.

It seems just an show that most have clarifications to see If HiME was related to Otome, but they don't it much to exploit it and made me believe it for fanservice and just to have an good time, also a canon filler as well. *shurgs*

Anyway everyone knows about the HiME OAV special and those 4minutes are awesome but I saw an preview of the upcoming OAV for Mai Otome Blu-ray and was quite to say I'm amazed that Otome characters are finally heading to the HiME Universe since the fake movie fiasco (Otome Arika and Laura Bianchi) Now Arika and Erstin, who looks hot in an Fuka Middle School Uniform Anime hyper! Are in the OAV to return an cat to someone's owner, go through all the hijinks and stuff. Even having the debut of Chun Mei . But I expect more characters from Otome to come for HiME. Also an special character will come from Otome and possibly become be an pivotal role in HiME saga and finally they'll create their own ending to HiME Universe, I hope.

http://www.my-zhime.net/zhime_comment/img/photo.png
ShonenJump

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Just to add to this discussion I wanted to put my 2 cents in but since it wasn't posted in within 5 yrs. I'll still add m discussion.

Well just to say both shows are in the same universe and yes MIYU is the same MIYU as the one from Mai Hime. It is even revealed when she is using her sword to battle. She is a Multiple fighting unit created in the first district. As we can see she even is able to see the blood of Alyssa Sears in Arika and Lena which are probably related to Alyssa. Lena was a left over Hime from the days of the Carnival. Nagi and the old Mashiro might as well be dead trying to maybe protect the Hime's or dying trying to fight in the war. Further more Lena still has her original Hime star symbol which even further explains her being a descendent of an Hime maybe Mai or Mikoto. It is even revealed that Mai fought and destroyed the world in the original series leaving the remaining to start a new world.

So as they rebuilt technology they rebuilt their very own versions of Hime's which in general still used the same powers but instead of having a child, utilized the materializing feature. So the two shows are indeed in the same Universe but Katuguschi isn't the same Dragon. Remember child's die along with their owners. So most of the new Oufan's in Mai Otome are materialized by summoning them from different dimensions. Also the Harmonium was built around the time after the final battle with the Hime's. It is even shown that during Arika's time at Fuuka Academy she still had her crescent Hime Mark and still fought with the Blue Sapphire sword.

This is the interesting bit though after everything was destroyed and Harmonium was built to fight against the Hime's and later brought the destruction of the world. How was Nina able to work the Harmonium, I know she has noble blood but her mother wasn't an original Otome. I guess the Black Diamond se had worked the Marmonium though.

Here is my understanding of the family tree though. Alyssa is their ancestor. Arika is a false Hime created by the first district in the original series. The Arika in Otome is related to the Arika in Mai Hime because they share the same blood with Alyssa. Just some stuff I came up with could be true or not but watch the video with Arika and you'll see Arika meet up with Erstin and a cat named Nina.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2