• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Conventions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redrumxiii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Hi all.. I'm new here.. my name is Edwin and I'm writing an article for a video magazine on anime conventions and what motivates otaku.. or non otaku to go to a convention. Can anyone that wants to help state their reason why they attend conventions.. ?

Thanks in advance.
Edwin
Stray Jacket

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:30 am Reply with quote
I dont...some of the people there really scare me, would love to but most of the good ones are too far away...

BTW, what magazine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:36 am Reply with quote
For me it's "business." Before ANN I didn't go to Anime conventions. Which isn't to say that I don't enjoy them, I have a lot of fun at the couple conventions I go to each year. Part of the fun however is meeting people in the industry that I talk to all year long.

Not sure if I'd keep going to conventions if I stopped working on ANN.

-t
Yuki555

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:31 am Reply with quote
I've always wanted to go because I want to meet the creators and such...not to mention all of those anime merchandise. However, the convention are always too far away for me to attend.
dannavy85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:44 pm Reply with quote
1. dealers room.

2. Advertise and build our on-line anime club.

3. See new anime on its way to licenced production in the states.

4. Meet new friends.

5. The fun of it, being with like minded people.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:44 pm Reply with quote
don't know if you still need the info but here it is:

like to see new anime, people, costumes, products,

have fun,

buy stuff,

cosplay,

and just hang out with my friends while meeting new people (though yes, some of them are very scary...)
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Its always fun to meet new people who share the same interest as you. Some of them are scary (Sailor Bacon Shocked ) but a lot of the cosplayers are just fans that like to show how much they enjoy the show. The dealersroom is always fun to at least visit, you can find stuff there that you have been looking for, or sometimes (very rare Wink ) you might find a great deal on something.

The video rooms are great for showcasing new anime and even obscure anime that you might not find elswhere (I saw Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories for the first time at Katsukon 2K in a video room along with Bersek.)

Cons are different depending to which ones you go to. I went to AX this year for the first time. To me AX seemed more for the anime companies like Bandai, ADV & Pioneer to showcase their products. The other cons I've been to (Acen last year and Otakon and Katuskon in 2000) seemed more geared towards the fans and I would recomend them over AX any time. Acen.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to Otakon this year, and the main reasons are the interesting events they have there, and the fact that I will be surrounded by people with similar interests. I'm also looking forward to the off chance that I may be able to meet some people at this forum face to face.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quote
yay! I'm going to Otakon too!!!
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Although this may no longer be needed, I'd like to point out the cosplay. That deffinitely makes it all worth it. It so fun and it sorta turns into a big inside joke, well an inside joke amoung thousands of fans. The people there have always made an impression on me. It seems like everyone there automatically gets along for the most part because, hey, why would you be there if you weren't a fan like everyone else? Oh yea it's also great because Otakon is where I meet my online friends for the weekend!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1