• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Yes, it's a situational comedy of sorts. But that's far from all there is to it. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu belongs to that class of Japanese stories which can be surprisingly light-hearted on the surface, while carrying a very serious (and sometimes emotionally devastating) story at a deeper level.

I'm nearly finished with the first book in the series, and I can assure you that spoiler[all the talk of aliens and time travelers isn't just make-believe. But again, surprise! This is not what the story is about. When you get to the gist of it, you'll see what I mean.]

Of course, the anime could deviate from the novels by telling only some of the story's layers -- it wouldn't be the first time that has happened. We'll see.

- abunai

Hmm. Well, if this show does begin to wax poignant down the line, I hope the series' producers have the chops to pull it off tastefully. There's nothing worse than having a good comedy be ruined by histrionic drama.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I think this show is best off not taking itself too seriously, but I wouldn't want it to see it lean too much the other way either. All the crazy stuff spoiler[(the talking cat and the fact that Haruhi and Yuki are aliens)] makes me wonder if it'll soon turn into some nonsensical FLCL-type. Then again, so far all the episodes have been quite deceiving...Episode 1, with the bad movie, had me thinking the show was going to be satirical all the way, and Episode 2 fooled me into thinking that this was a slice-of-life comedy type with an eccentric male lead. Hope that after Episode 3, the spoiler[alien talk will die down, so it won't become the focus of the whole show.]. I wonder if the ratings will shoot down if the show turns in a direction that the masses don't like...

Man, one unpredictable show...makes me want to learn more Japanese so i can read the novels...

[/spoiler]
piotr_m20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
That's my prediction for this series. Could be wrong, but I can totally see it this way: The reality is going to turn out to be exactly like the bad-movie first episode. Smile

spoiler[Not "exactly", but you have no idea how close you are...] By the way, does anyone know where can I find the novels? The fun has already been spoiled for me, by reading the character descriptions on japanese wikipedia, so I might as well go all the way.

Never mind, found them.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Yes, it's a situational comedy of sorts. But that's far from all there is to it. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu belongs to that class of Japanese stories which can be surprisingly light-hearted on the surface, while carrying a very serious (and sometimes emotionally devastating) story at a deeper level.

I'm nearly finished with the first book in the series, and I can assure you that spoiler[all the talk of aliens and time travelers isn't just make-believe. But again, surprise! This is not what the story is about. When you get to the gist of it, you'll see what I mean.]

Of course, the anime could deviate from the novels by telling only some of the story's layers -- it wouldn't be the first time that has happened. We'll see.

- abunai

Yeah, not a lot of people seem to be catching on to this... episode 3 really struck me as establishing the show as being quite a dark satire. I'm really interesting in seeing how this develops.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Man, episode 7.....um I mean episode 4....>_>

I'll say this. This series is not your straight up comedy series. They teased us with quite of bit of interesting elements such as...

spoiler[- according to Itsuki, having Kyon keep Haruhi being happy is integral to the safety of the entire world

- Yuki has badass powers, and looks a lot cooler without glasses Cool

- I think it's official that Mikuru is a time-traveler of some sort]

This shot is so fu**ing hot, and it looks like episode 3 (or rather episode 5) there will be more Mikuru fanservice. Cool

Quite of bit of funny moments in this baseball episode though Haruhi's hand signals towards Mikuru look REALLY awkward (though I couldn't help myself laughing). Laughing
Anthony P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Man, episode 7.....um I mean episode 4....>_>

I'll say this. This series is not your straight up comedy series. They teased us with quite of bit of interesting elements such as...

spoiler[- according to Itsuki, having Kyon keep Haruhi being happy is integral to the safety of the entire world

- Yuki has badass powers, and looks a lot cooler without glasses Cool

- I think it's official that Mikuru is a time-traveler of some sort]

Yeah, those hastily-introduced metaphysical elements in ep. 4 certainly threw me for a loop; not so much because of what they alluded to, but because they came out of nowhere. I don't know how the series compares to the novels thus far, but ep. 4 gives me the impression that the series' producers skimmed past some of the material from the novels.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Strangely enough (well according to some of the novel readers), that how the original novels are set up. So KyoAni are actually adapting this quite well! Shocked
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I love how in the Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, they jumped forward in the plot so you have all this weird stuff going on and everyone's pretty nonchalant about it. I'm really looking forward to seeing the next episode where they go back to where the plot was earlier and seeing if things become any clearer or if they just continue to get weirder and weirder.

If they keep us this level of quality for the entire series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is going to be my new #1 favorite anime of all time (beating out such series as Trigun & Azumanga Daioh).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
From seeing episode 4, I have a feeling that when the episode title is "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ..." results in the actual plot movement in chronologically order. I cant help but feel that "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" was to show us what happens when Haruhi gets bored lol.

It's really weird that they jumped around like this, but this rogue style sure does bring up its potential. Also, I sat through half of the episode wondering where Itsuka came form and if I missed something earlier in the episode lol.

And Darkchibi, that shot was awesome lol.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
From seeing episode 4, I have a feeling that when the episode title is "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ..." results in the actual plot movement in chronologically order. I can't help but feel that "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" was to show us what happens when Haruhi gets bored lol.

No, it's not quite like that. "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" is the title of a later volume in the series, volume 3 ("The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" is vol. 1).

The series is being presented in a back-and-forth style, with material from later volumes interspersed within other material. Hence, the weird episode titles that switch back and forth. So you need to differentiate between the series title which is identical to the title of volume 1, and the episode titles, where Episode 2 of the series is episode 1 of the storyline of volume 1, hence the title of episode 2: "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I".

The full series so far (including the as-yet-unpublished eighth volume) is:
  • Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱
  • Volume 2 - The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第二巻: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息
  • Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈
  • Volume 4 - The Vanishing of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第四巻: 涼宮ハルヒの消失
  • Volume 5 - The Delusions of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走
  • Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺
  • Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀
  • Volume 8 - The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第八巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨

I hope that sort of helps to clear things up.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Blah, blah, blah

Ok....after watching the second episode, I take back what I said before. In fact, I have no words with which to replace what I said earlier. I am speechless.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

The full series so far (including the as-yet-unpublished eighth volume) is:
  • Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱
  • Volume 2 - The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第二巻: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息
  • Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈
  • Volume 4 - The Vanishing of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第四巻: 涼宮ハルヒの消失
  • Volume 5 - The Delusions of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走
  • Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺
  • Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀
  • Volume 8 - The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第八巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨

I hope that sort of helps to clear things up.

- abunai

This excites me even more about seeing the rest of the series...... cant wait till more come out Razz
Steroid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the first four episodes, and truth be told, it's hard to say how I feel about it yet. Since all of the details are yet to be revealed, it's impossible to draw firm conclusions. However, if it continues on the path that:

spoiler[-Haruhi is indeed an alien (or something) who has to be kept placated or Terrible Things will occur.

-Yuki is a sort of guardian, making sure that those Things don't in fact occur.

-Miruku is another something]

then the series could rapidly degenerate in my eyes. What I want to see is some indication that Kyon is more than just the Greek Chorus of the series, there to play dumb while the supernatural plot unfolds.

Also something bugging me, it's one thing to be quirky, it's another to be mean. Shouting in class, forming your own club, talking about the supernatural all the time, that's quirky. Bullying the computer club and the baseball teams and Miruku is mean. I want to like Suzumiya Haruhi as a fellow eccentric, but she's making it hard.
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
It was told to me that in the preview for the next episode, the number that Haruhi says is the chronological order of the episode, and what Kyon says is the title. Therefore, at the end of episode 3, in the preview, she said the next episode (the actual episode 4) was episode 7 (meaning three have been skipped). Then, in the preview at the end of episode 4, she said the next episode was episode 3, meaning that we are now returning to pick up where the actual episode three left off.

I don't know if that's accurate, it's just what someone told me, but it seems to make sense. 0_0
animonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
[snip]

[EDIT: Do not ask for downloads. -TK]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 213