• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like episode 12 very much...not a lot happened until the songs, which were a bit too emo for my liking. Was interesting to see Yuki on guitar though Very Happy I hope the final two are more action-packed.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
abunai wrote:
エッチに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな
(Ecchi ni nattara otona ni nareru no ka na)

For those of us who are not Japanese inclined, what does that mean? The only word I recognize is ecchi.

I didn't watch much of the show, but wasn't that what Mahoro said in the ending theme to Mahoromatic? I don't have the ending theme readily available to check though, so it may not be that, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw that quote.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:
abunai wrote:
エッチに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな

For those of us who are not Japanese inclined, what does that mean? The only word I recognize is ecchi.

I didn't watch much of the show, but wasn't that what Mahoro said in the ending theme to Mahoromatic?

No. What Mahoro said was えっちなのはいけないと思います! (Ecchi nano wa Ikenai to Omoi masu!; All Dirty Thoughts Are Bad!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
coolmac11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
No, it's not quite like that. "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" is the title of a later volume in the series, volume 3 ("The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" is vol. 1).

The series is being presented in a back-and-forth style, with material from later volumes interspersed within other material. Hence, the weird episode titles that switch back and forth. So you need to differentiate between the series title which is identical to the title of volume 1, and the episode titles, where Episode 2 of the series is episode 1 of the storyline of volume 1, hence the title of episode 2: "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I".

The full series so far (including the as-yet-unpublished eighth volume) is:
  • Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱
  • Volume 2 - The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第二巻: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息
  • Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈
  • Volume 4 - The Vanishing of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第四巻: 涼宮ハルヒの消失
  • Volume 5 - The Delusions of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走
  • Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺
  • Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀
  • Volume 8 - The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第八巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨

I hope that sort of helps to clear things up.

- abunai

So how long is the series? I mean to ask that after the first 14 episodes (or first volume...I think Rolling Eyes), the next "season" (volume) will start and will be a continuation of where volume one ended? This may be a silly question but just want to clear things up in my cloudy head..... Very Happy
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
From my understanding, the 14 episodes of the series is supposed to be a combination of all of the volumes of the book.

I'm not sure tho, just my understanding.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean "all of the volumes of the book"? Each volume IS a book.

Anyway, the TV series covers the first book and parts of the second and/or third book, I believe. I know it covers the first book and parts of some other books, I just don't know which one(s).
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
coolmac11 wrote:
abunai wrote:
No, it's not quite like that. "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" is the title of a later volume in the series, volume 3 ("The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" is vol. 1).

The series is being presented in a back-and-forth style, with material from later volumes interspersed within other material. Hence, the weird episode titles that switch back and forth. So you need to differentiate between the series title which is identical to the title of volume 1, and the episode titles, where Episode 2 of the series is episode 1 of the storyline of volume 1, hence the title of episode 2: "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I".

The full series so far (including the as-yet-unpublished eighth volume) is:
  • Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱
  • Volume 2 - The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第二巻: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息
  • Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈
  • Volume 4 - The Vanishing of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第四巻: 涼宮ハルヒの消失
  • Volume 5 - The Delusions of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走
  • Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺
  • Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀
  • Volume 8 - The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第八巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨

I hope that sort of helps to clear things up.

- abunai

So how long is the series? I mean to ask that after the first 14 episodes (or first volume...I think Rolling Eyes), the next "season" (volume) will start and will be a continuation of where volume one ended? This may be a silly question but just want to clear things up in my cloudy head..... Very Happy

Well, it's complicated. The novels have a few major storylines with minor stories interspersed between them. The anime has really only covered one of the storylines (but even that's kind of misleading, I'll explain in the spoiler box below):

spoiler[The main storyline of the anime is of course the first novel "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi", thus the name of the show. When the name of a specific episode contains "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi" it is part of that main storyline. Episode 2 of the series is called "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi I", for instance. That episode literally shows the beginning of the first book.

The second book, "The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi", is about the making of the student film. The result of the events in the second novel is of course "The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru" which was the very first episode of the anime. So we haven't seen all the crazy stuff from the second novel that went into the actual creation of that film; we've just seen the final product.

Some of the other novels, like Volume 3 "The Boredom of ..." and Volume 5 "The Delusions of ..." are really collections of short stories. We've seen most of Vol. 3 (Episodes 4, 6, 7, 8) and individual chapters from Vol. 5 (Episode 11) and Vol. 6 (Episode 12). Episode 9 is a new story written for the anime by Tanigawa Nagaru.]

There is plenty of material left. Most of the second novel COULD be shown but would seem pretty redundant; for that reason I think they'll skip over it. That leaves at least two major storylines still untouched along with plenty of the shorter stuff (and some of that is very important to the overall Haruhi universe). I would say they have enough to make a full 24-26 episode series if they wanted, or two more shorter series, and the novels aren't done yet.

One interesting fact: There are things shown in some of the later episodes that reference events from the unadapted novels/ stories (Episode 9, "Someday in the Rain") and even in the ED (when the girls are shown enjoying oden while Kyon is dressed up like a deer). It's evidence of how much effort went into planning out the episode order for this series, and (hopefully) a glimpse of what they want to do in the future.
coolmac11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I get it now! Thanks Sphinx.

Now any one have an idea on how much total episodes will be released? So far i know of the first 14...I just want this series to be long and full of comic mischief, with a deep strong story line, of course. But any ways, it was pretty good so far Very Happy

P.S. I tend to like VERY long Animes (in terms of episodes), so I have something to do rather than sitting down doing nothing.... Cool
Fullerific

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
coolmac11: AniDB says it's only a 14 episode series.

I like long series too but this doesn't look to be one of them.
coolmac11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
Oh Well, it's the content that matters.... Razz
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
This show may only be 14 episodes, but that doesn't mean they can't just make a second season later like they did with shows like Ah My Goddess Very Happy

I'm convinced this will only be 14 episodes, but from what everyone is saying, I'm starting to think they'll make a second season or OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
If the show is anywhere near as popular in Japan as it appears to be, a second season is a no-brainer.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
While we're looking at episode 12, which starts with the Culture Festival showing of the SOS-dan's homemade film Asahina Mikuru no Bouken and the OP thereof, Koi no Mikuru Densetsu, I'd like to draw your attention to something I noticed in the first episode, when we heard the whole OP.

During the finale of the OP, there's a voiceover by Mikuru in the background. It's slightly obscured, so I'd more or less failed to resolve it as anything other than background vocals.

I've gone back and listened to it again, and here's what Mikuru is singing:

エッチに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな
Interesting, because I always thought that the grammar was a little questionable with respect to the fansub translation of "When can I become an adult?", since I don't see why a simple "when" question would need "nattara" (conditional of "become"). If we put the word for "when" in place of "ecchi," we'd get いつに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな (itsu ni nattara...), but if I were asked to say "When can I become an adult?" in Japanese, I'd say いつ大人に慣れるのかな (without "ni nattara"). It seems strange for Mikuru to say the line beginning with ecchi, but when are things not strange in this series Question One translation I can think of for the line as abunai presented it is "If I became 'ecchi', I wonder if I can become an adult?", or to put it more smoothly, "Will being 'ecchi' make me an adult?" Feel free to insert your own interpretations of "being ecchi" - I've never heard it with the verb naru (become), though I have heard it with the verb suru (do), in Sexfriend and SaiKano, where "doing ecchi" = "doing 'it' " Embarassed
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
エッチに成ったら大人に慣れるのかな

Isn't it more of a statement, and not really a question? The way I've seen "ka na" used, it seems to be something like "I wonder" or "don't you think?" The way I see it, it's more like a "Question Statement", a sort of a rhetorical question in a way. Like Zalis said, being "ecchi" can range from "being perverted" to "doing it," and I have no idea what it means in this context. The statement could perhaps even mean, "Hmm...if I lose my virginity, will I become an adult..."

Zalis116 wrote:
in Sexfriend and SaiKano, where "doing ecchi" = "doing 'it' "

"ecchi...shinai?"

Boy, what a blunt way to put it.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
Not that the official site can be relied upon for an official episode count, but when one does the thing where you select all the text on the activity log page (http://www.haruhi.tv/activitylog.html), we see 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-11 (for now, I assume it will be updated to 10-12 soon). The next one listed, which is hidden, is 13-15. Now, as I said, given that it has hidden episode numbers up to 15,498 this may not have any significance, but one can only hope they throw in an extra episode to surprise people (I dont know how common/easy/hard that would be to do).

Also, any hints on who may license it and when?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 213