• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:13 am Reply with quote
(removed)

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna talk about the whole rating thing here. Does anybody know how easy it is to manipulate the ratings. Basically you have as many votes as you have e-mail addresses. The hardcore Haruhi fanatics banded together to put the show in the top spot by creating multiple e-mail addresses and voting masterpiece en masse, simple as that. There's no way its been seen by that many people and no other way that it could rated that high, of course its spam votes. I've even experimented with creating ten email addresses and voting and then removing the votes a day later. The ranking was screwed up horribly for a number of series that day. After that I really stopped caring about the ANN ranking system because I figured its so easily manipulated that it is practically meaningless. That's all really. Lo and behold Trust and Betrayal is back on top, expect it to flip flop as the hardcord Haruhiist's and Anti-Haruhiist's duke it out in a fruitless battle to see who can out spam the other. It'll be a grueling duel of stupidity and pointlessness until one group says screw it.
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Bad Sphinx.

Last edited by The Sphinx on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
Why do I feel I can get this thread back on track when I know damn well I can't. Sad Nobody ever listens to me.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Does anybody know how easy it is to manipulate the ratings. Basically you have as many votes as you have e-mail addresses. The hardcore Haruhi fanatics banded together to put the show in the top spot by creating multiple e-mail addresses and voting masterpiece en masse, simple as that. There's no way its been seen by that many people and no other way that it could rated that high, of course its spam votes.

OH MY GOD, THAT'S BRILLIANT! If I didn't abhor the idea of taking advantage of the system, if only I didn't feel like vomiting every time my friend steals pointless crap from Safeway, if only I wasn't the kind of person to punch my roommate so hard he threw up for refusing to pick up his litter (to be fair he was being a complete dick about it Rolling Eyes ), oh, if only... then I'd SOOooo be there and that rating would be a flat 10.

Seriously, grow up. Assuming that "there's no way it could be that high zomgz orz" without fans rigging the system is pretty weak on your part. I don't know about anyone else, but that kind shit pisses me off: 1.) that you assume people do it 2.) that I know people give shows lower ratings than they deserve just as an attempt to lower ratings because they're pathetic people who can't stand the thought of something they don't like being popular

I'd explain the ebs and flows of society's attention, but I don't think it would get through, so I'll summarize without any evidence: when a show is first debuted ( Shocked I have no idea how to spell that) only the really hardcore, fansub watching people will have seen it. A show is ALWAYS more popular it's first go around, and especially for a show like this, as everyone gets together and tries to figure out what is going on they polarize their views even more (group-think). This show really didn't alienate any viewers who viewed it unbiased and without any expectations, it appeals to just about every hardcore anime fan (who views it without any expectations or knowledge). Since noone was really left out of the group-think, every one who saw it initially gave it a 9/10 basically.

Anyone who gives a show a rating you honestly don't think it deserves, you are a bad person, and I can perfectly understand not LIKING Haruhi, but giving it a 1-4? Wow, some people just love to hate don't they?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
IDoes anybody know how easy it is to manipulate the ratings. Basically you have as many votes as you have e-mail addresses.

Let me dispel your illusions, dimwit. The ratings may be manipulatable (as any software system is), but they are nowhere near that easily manipulatable. I can guarantee that your pathetic attempt to vote with multiple accounts had absolutely ZERO effect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Why do I feel I can get this thread back on track when I know damn well I can't. Sad Nobody ever listens to me.

How on earth was that an attempt to get things back on track?
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
Why would someone want to waste time building multiple e-mail accounts just to affect the rating system at a section of an entertainment website? Especially as mentioned prior, to really have an impact you’d have to create a large number of accounts. That is boring, time consuming, and easily detectible by any site administrator with access to IP addresses. So very likely, they’ll make sure multiple votes do not count.

For the 498 masterpiece votes, which is where SHnY, currently stands, I don't believe there would be so many people that are bored enough to sit around and do this kind of manipulation and if any were I’m sure most got caught, so I’m willing to bet the vast majority, maybe 99% of those votes are legit.

Rather than spending the time doing something like this I’m sure most would rather go re-watch the series or watch the newest episode of Nana or Ouran Highschool Host Club, or whatever they enjoy.

Ok, sorry for helping this thread go further off topic.

On topic:
I watched a few episodes of this last week and I think the story is well choreographed, and the characters are interesting, though not unique. I think what greatly adds to the story is the fact that the programs are out of chronological order. This further gives it that element that things are mysterious and not what they seem. And it also probably really helps the eventual ending by being able to give teasers about it in the episodes that take place after the climax.

It's a fun show.

This has probably been mentioned already but I don't want to run into potential spoilers by reading back, how many have gone back and re-watched in chronological order? Was it as fun as watching the episodes as they were released?
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
The Encyclopedia wrote:
User Ratings: 790 ratings have been given

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
There's no way its been seen by that many people and no other way that it could rated that high, of course its spam votes.

Wait wait wait. You refuse to believe that 790 people have seen Haruhi? I seem to remember numbers in the thousands on the Haruhi torrents.
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know how easy it is to manipulate the ratings. Basically you have as many votes as you have e-mail addresses. The hardcore Haruhi fanatics banded together to put the show in the top spot by creating multiple e-mail addresses and voting masterpiece en masse, simple as that. There's no way its been seen by that many people and no other way that it could rated that high, of course its spam votes.

Why is it impossible, it was a pretty cool show and how do think the other anime got to the top of the list, people watched it, liked it, and voted. I went back and saw that Princess Mononoke got 2220 or so votes are you saying that its mostly spam votes, or is it you just dont like "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya". Of course some of it could be spam but I dont think it really affected the votes very much.

I still haven't even rated it yet. I plan to give it a masterpiece vote.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
There's no way its been seen by that many people and no other way that it could rated that high, of course its spam votes.

Yes. One day, a few Harutards banded together and decided to promote their beloved masterpiece. They worked tirelessly day and night to create multiple accounts at about 5 different sites, to program bots to spam the ratings, and create about 1000 forum usernames at every forum imaginable and make extensive and different posts on each one of them to make it seem like it is different people discussing the series. Of course, they also bought 1000 computers at 1000 different locations to generate 1000 IP addresses in order to not seem suspicious. And of course, they hijacked the headquarters of every anime magazine and TV station and forced them to promote the greatness that is Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Now we know the truth: this series only has a fanbase of about 20 people, and it is a internet + Japan-wide conspiracy to promote this one anime and to trick poor souls everywhere.
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing wow, I didn't know it required so much to fake that. Well than Kaioshin_Sama I guess thats...that.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I doubt this type of outright flaming is allowed on this or any board. It was only a suggestion that some of the votes were spammed out, and I know for a fact that it can have an effect because I've seen it happen. I knew I shouldn't have posted this I knew it would just have the opposite effect and everybody who is a huge fan would leap down my throat and everyone who isn't would say nothing.

It doesn't go by IP, it goes by e-mail addresses, Trust me. Also what about rotatable IP's? (Probably a bad thing to bring up)

I admit it was stupid of me to say that that many people could not possibly have seen the show (I had just come of a hard night at work and was not thinking clearly at all). Does this make things better or are you all gonna leap down my throat again, although I kind of deserved it for saying something so stupid.

This is quite the hostile board, did I ever once say I hated or disliked the show, I enjoyed it quite a bit, I was just trying to explain some things and now everybody seems to want to lynch me for it.

Yes my votes had zero effect in the long run because I removed all of them instantly the second I saw just how much of an effect they had (I was embarassed and ashamed) (I created and discarded 30 accounts that day, yeah I don't have anything better to do with my time). Also did I just get insulted and flamed by a staff member TV Nihon style? What the hell, even though I screwed with the ranking systems (stupid idea/experiment) is that really necessary?

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:
The Encyclopedia wrote:

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Wait wait wait. You refuse to believe that 790 people have seen Haruhi? I seem to remember numbers in the thousands on the Haruhi torrents.
Your memory is right, shadow_guyver; based on numbers from the actual fansub group's tracker, the first episode has 105,000+ DLs, and the number descends every episode to 43,000 for the last episode. That doesn't include episodes reposted to other torrent sites in singles or batches, IRC, or direct download redistribution. That 790 of those people found their way to ANN to rate it is no surprise.
Changing subject for a moment, I think this is the anime that cemented Yuuki Gotou (Mikuru) as one of those Japanese VAs that I can pretty much instantly recognize. I had heard her before as Kaede in Shuffle! and Nanami in Lamune, and when I watched the Mizuiro OVAs yesterday, I didn't need the credits or a website to know that she played Hiyori. Honestly, it's a voice that can get annoying after awhile, but it's fitting for all the characters that I've heard her play.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
shadow_guyver wrote:
The Encyclopedia wrote:

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Your memory is right, shadow_guyver; based on numbers from the actual fansub group's tracker, the first episode has 105,000+ DLs, and the number descends every episode to 43,000 for the last episode. That doesn't include episodes reposted to other torrent sites in singles or batches, IRC, or direct download redistribution. That 790 of those people found their way to ANN to rate it is no surprise.
Changing subject for a moment, I think this is the anime that cemented Yuuki Gotou (Mikuru) as one of those Japanese VAs that I can pretty much instantly recognize. I had heard her before as Kaede in Shuffle! and Nanami in Lamune, and when I watched the Mizuiro OVAs yesterday, I didn't need the credits or a website to know that she played Hiyori. Honestly, it's a voice that can get annoying after awhile, but it's fitting for all the characters that I've heard her play.

I feel the same way about Goto, annoying but fitting in most cases. I have the ability to recognize some VA's including Takehito Koyasu, Shou Hayami, Romi Paku, Kazuki Yao, Kaneto Shiozawa (may he rest in peace), Megumi Hayashibara and that dude that does the narration for the J9 series, but not Yuko Goto, she stands out but not enough for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 213