• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W3b3r

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Everything frentymon said is exactly right in my opinion. Awesome work on your episode summaries! Currently I am rewatching series in chrono order and you are right it does lack impact, however it makes the latter episodes have more substance to them. Like theres another layer there because of whats come before in the "main storyline" episodes. Both very enjoyable ways to watch the show but definitly needs to be watched first in aired order then chronological order.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
<big-post>

In other words: Chronologically, SHnY is six episodes of main story followed by eight episodes of filler. Had KyoAni kept the original order, interest of the show would have seriously waned, and we would not be discussing the show's merits as we are right now. We would have complained that the second half failed to live up to the first half.

What KyoAni did instead was spread the main story out to keep viewers' interest up, and then intersperse with fillers to give an idea of the world that the characters live in. Episode 13 (Melancholy V) had a much greater impact to me since I already know that the the extraordinary world that Haruhi yearns for is already around her, yet she cannot appreciate it, since she cannot see it.
animonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... the only thing I actually didn't like about the series was that the episodes that (in chronological order) that come AFTER the climax... well... didn't show much of a change (except for some SMALL things) in Haruhi's behavior towards Kyon. And the last episode, if you watch the whole thing, set it up, almost, to have them going on "dates" and have almost a normal relationship.

I still rated it a masterpiece though and it is, so far my favorite anime. Ever. don't mess.

Smile
Arxilius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I think what the end of the last episode was showing was that the other members of the Brigade were trying to set them up. Whether or not they succeeded... well, that's up to speculation. However, I don't agree that there was no change after the main storyline. Haruhi and Kyon obviously were much more open and comfortable around each other; after all, they stripped down half-naked in the cave in Remote Island Syndrome (part 2), and, well, the way Haruhi was acting at the end of Someday in the Rain? That's how one acts around either a best friend or a significant other.
Eidolone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Remember though that Haruhi considers the entire experience in episode 14 to be a "nightmare" and romance in general to be a "mental disorder," and therefore, since she is in conflict with herself regarding her feelings, it would be correct that we only see very subtle changes in her external behavior.

On another note, even the novels go in the order of story, filler, story, filler, story...so we are at least assured of high-quality filler episodes for this series. Wink

Finally, NOOOOO! Kenshin not #1 anymore!! KyoAni better make a damn good 2nd season to make me accept that fact. Twisted Evil
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
This phenomenon known as Haruhiism has taken anime websites around the world by storm! Even the mighty RK: Tsuiokuhen could not withstand its fearsome power! Currently, new traces of this phenomenon have ceased to appear, but it is projected that within 500 days, a wave of Haruhiism will be found once again - 14 Episodes of them, in fact!
Arxilius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, I can't tell whether or not she was really being truthful. After all, Kyon said "Ponytails turn me on", and she showed up the next day with a ponytail...

But, you're right. I don't think she would pursue romance, at least not in earnest. She probably really wants to, but refuses to change her opinions.

Also, Kenshin was not very good. Thank god it isn't #1 any more.

;p
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I think some people are making a big mistake with Haruhi. They seem to be taking everything she says at face value. spoiler[She may claim she thinks it was just a dream, but she shows up with a ponytail the next day and later decides against putting Mikuru's hair in a ponytail after a quick glance at Kyon? Obviously she didn't dismiss it completely. Especially after the last episode, I think her personality changed from being obsessive about the mysterious to a more normal person.

Before the incident, do you really think Haruhi would have taken part in a baseball tournament? The remote island maybe Wink but somehow... I think her being willing to play in the band was something the old Haruhi wouldn't have done.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arxilius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree, 100%, and I thank you for saying that. YES. Haruhi is not so simple of a character! She's deceptive; whether it's that she's deceiving others, or just herself, we can't really be sure. All I know for sure is, things aren't always what they seem.
Fui

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Alright, here's my two cents to this thread/show/ism.

1st cent:
Top 5 Best Rated wrote:
1 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV) 9.13 645
2 Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (OAV) 9.11 1514
3 Cowboy Bebop (TV) 8.98 2877
4 Spirited Away (movie) 8.98 1974
5 Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) 8.93 2652

/  . __ 、/ 丿               ヽ
          / ,  / ./  /  _ ,__'   i  i  i  i   'l
          //. /  /  /_-''’ ___,,ノ、  7  '       l
        . レ.l/  ./   /  ,,-'''''  l l  .l   ,       l
          / ,/   ´  , '_ !-‐'''''''''''') ./l ../l   i ..l l
         r/ .l  ゙   '''’ _,,,-‐/ ̄.l/ .l ./ l     i  .l l
         .l.!         々' Vヽー--l/'‐、l /l   i  /ll
         l         /'''' ヽ   '..,,,___、l/./  ノ'l/ l'
        l         ./   !       '' /'/' ,/)ノ
        l        /   /          / ,//
        /       丿   亅         ./ /r'
     / ̄ ̄ ̄''' ‐ ,_ /丶   ____      ./ / 
   / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄''' ‐ ,_ \. .l\ ”-ニ⊃    //r'\
   /          '-,/  .l \  ' ̄   ,/ / │ ''、、
  ./            /  l 丶ゝ,,,,,,,-‐''  /  │  'l "'-、
 /          .∩/   .l  /─、 ,─/   │   'l  "'-、
../          ∩/    .l /  Cl l - l\  │    'l    "'-、
/            /     レ' ヽ┌──┐ソ\ │     'l      "'-、

2nd cent (related to 1st): Can anyone tell me what's so good about this show again? A good part of it is moe girls/fanservice (albeit more subtle), and they just combined school/comedy with cute girls (and a lead tsundere one) and some of Itsuki's madness science fiction. I guess you could say the idea is original but...I fail to comprehend what's so masterpiece about it. I found so much of it to be excuses to put in fanservice-type things (maid, bunny girl, etc...) just to please modern otaku culture that it just got tiring. Mikuru, stop being so moe. You've done plenty.

Arxilius wrote:

Also, Kenshin was not very good. Thank god it isn't #1 any more.

I'd put the same ascii image but that would be somewhat repetitive.

50th cent: Eva as a school comedy/slice-of-life.

Last edited by Fui on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Eidolone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Well, lets see...

Extremely interesting, engaging and deep characters (even Mikuru isn't as simple as she appears),"unique" storyline and presentation, almost all the episodes are fast-paced and filled with action, not to mention the marvelous commentary by our beloved Kyon, even as someone who's watched too much anime, its almost impossible to guess whats going to happen in the next 10 minutes, let alone the next episode.

All in all, almost every element of the series is oozing in "Freshness." Too often I find myself pausing in order to stop and think, or rewinding to catch exactly what had just happened, only to discover something new.

Last edited by Eidolone on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
*ahem* And there it is, folks; at the time I'm posting this, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the #1 rated anime at the ANN. Truly crazy. We all knew it was inevitable though, right?

I for one honestly didn't think it would surpass Samurai X. I had that glimmer of hope, but the last ep sure seemed like it was one of the factors why some people bumped up/decided to rate the series so high.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I was hoping it would have happened at AX but I guess it's still too early...

Nothing seems too early anymore nowadays, especially if series are licensed early (like Roots or Witchblade for example), or even if Anime companies are getting involved with the series in the earlier stages. =\

*OT*BTW, I love the Himeko avy PantsGoblin. Anime hyper *OT*

In any case, It'll come to us, sooner or later.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
Eidolone wrote:
Remember though that Haruhi considers the entire experience in episode 14 to be a "nightmare" and romance in general to be a "mental disorder," and therefore, since she is in conflict with herself regarding her feelings, it would be correct that we only see very subtle changes in her external behavior.

Let's also not forget Haruhi sees Kyon as a normal person, as well as someone who is reluctant to participate in her schemes. It must really gall Haruhi to realize that she might be falling for him.

Quote:
Finally, NOOOOO! Kenshin not #1 anymore!! KyoAni better make a damn good 2nd season to make me accept that fact. Twisted Evil

Is there anyone read the books? Are there any good story arcs that would make a decent second season? I looked some of the synopses of the books, and the only one that seemed like a major story arc was the spoiler[Vanishing] of Haruhi Suzimiya. I'm not sure about the other books, though.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
I haven't been following the thread since I've only finished watching the last episode today but 90% of the posts must be spam or something because it wasn't all that great.

It's new, original, interesting and all that but frankly, it wasn't even a match for Trust and Betrayal. I think the fact that the episode arrangements were bizarre in itself was a huge factor in swaying votes. The subtle jokes and references were amusing but I can still remember that climax scene from Trust and Betrayal that makes it so great. This is compared to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, where I can't remember a particularly memorable scene unless I watch it again, this time in chronological order.

Maybe I'm just not all that into the Haruhi-ism thing. :/
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
Speaking of the talking cat not being seen in the series except for ep 01 in the movie the sos-dan made....

How about the girl with green eyes and hair in the Opener of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. i'll just take the opener of ep 7 for example........at 1.27 just after you see Mikuru fly past on the clock, you'll see a green haired girl fly past.

Does anyone know who this person is?
or if she's appeared in the series...( i dont seem to remember)

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 213