• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
This show sort of reminds me of Genshiken. There's the same misleading OP in the first episode sung by a high pitched voice, and there's a badly named club with an extremely long name shortened to something more convenient. I have a feeling that this show is going to go on its own weird little tangent though...

Btw, does the name Haruhi Suzumiya have anything to do with Haruka Suzumiya from Kiminozo?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
This series is completely unrelated to KimiNozo. The two characters just happen to have the same family name.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 3, Haruhi's methods of getting things she wants is so ruthless! spoiler[That whole scene where Haruhi blackmails a bunch of computer geeks just to get a computer (plus high-speed internet access) was priceless. Poor Mikuru got so abused!
Laughing ]

Seeing Haruhi in a bunny suit was a definete plus as well! I'm almost this close of learning the ways of Haruhism! Shocked
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
After watching episode 3, Haruhi's methods of getting things she wants is so ruthless! spoiler[That whole scene where Haruhi blackmails a bunch of computer geeks just to get a computer (plus high-speed internet access) was priceless. Poor Mikuru got so abused!
Laughing ]

Seeing Haruhi in a bunny suit was a definete plus as well! I'm almost this close of learning the ways of Haruhism! Shocked

Ruthless is an understatement. I felt really bad for Asahina (although I didn't mind the bunny suit either). I figured that the series would start going the way it has been been a bit (the end of episode 3). The show's definitley kept up it's charm. And man both the opening and the ending are catchy.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
Wonder how long Mikuru's going to take the abuse. Can't be long until she breaks down spoiler[(maybe she already did...)] or goes into a mad frenzy and attacks Haruhi with her magical Mikuru beam (exclusive with the bad CG and the MIDI).

Haruhi is probably one of the most wacky anime characters I've ever seen (and Kyon's commentary makes it priceless). From the looks of it, from the preview of Ep 4, spoiler[Haruhi will be targetting the baseball club next]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
Damnit, you people have made me start DLing another series for this season Evil or Very Mad
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Wonder how long Mikuru's going to take the abuse. Can't be long until she breaks down spoiler[(maybe she already did...)] or goes into a mad frenzy and attacks Haruhi with her magical Mikuru beam (exclusive with the bad CG and the MIDI).

Judging by how episode 3 ended, it makes me wonder that maybe spoiler[Mikuru really was a combat waitress from the future oO. She said something about time streams earlier in the episode and really doesn't have any other friends.] She's probably taking the abuse because she views Haruhi and the rest of the crew as her friends? maybe?
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
That's my prediction for this series. Could be wrong, but I can totally see it this way: The reality is going to turn out to be exactly like the bad-movie first episode. Smile
Anthony P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Haruhi is probably one of the most wacky anime characters I've ever seen (and Kyon's commentary makes it priceless).
Yeah, this show has a hilarious cast of characters so far. I particularly enjoy Yuki; the part at the end of episode three when she spoiler[explains how she is an "alien" to Kyon] was classic.
Exaar wrote:
That's my prediction for this series. Could be wrong, but I can totally see it this way: The reality is going to turn out to be exactly like the bad-movie first episode.

Mmm, I really doubt that. Well, I'd be disappointed if it turned out like that; this show is a witty situational-comedy so far. If this series turned to kooky premises like the one you described, it'd lose it's charm.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
That's my prediction for this series. Could be wrong, but I can totally see it this way: The reality is going to turn out to be exactly like the bad-movie first episode. Smile

I don't think its going to be exactly like the movie, but I think its going have some similarities that will make that viewers see the first episode in a different way after seeing the whole series.
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
I just watched 1-3 and it was pretty entertaining but I still don't really know what to think of the series. There isn't too much of a storyline; I'd like to say it's slice of life but it's starting to get weird. At this point I think the series can go in several directions, unless it's already based off a manga that I'm not aware of. Still, the characters are great and loveable (are they going for the Rei Ayanami effect with Yuki?) and it's definitely a fun watch so far.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Yes, it's a situational comedy of sorts. But that's far from all there is to it. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu belongs to that class of Japanese stories which can be surprisingly light-hearted on the surface, while carrying a very serious (and sometimes emotionally devastating) story at a deeper level.

I'm nearly finished with the first book in the series, and I can assure you that spoiler[all the talk of aliens and time travelers isn't just make-believe. But again, surprise! This is not what the story is about. When you get to the gist of it, you'll see what I mean.]

Of course, the anime could deviate from the novels by telling only some of the story's layers -- it wouldn't be the first time that has happened. We'll see.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
I just noticed that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has already made it to #7 on the Best Rated Anime (bayesian estimate) and #2 on the Best Rated Anime (weighted average)...

That's unbelieveably impressive for such a new series.

Edit: It's rated even higher now. The amount of people who have voted on it has increased from 55 to 90. It's ranked #712 in popularity now so the voting isn't quite as skewed. I know you're able to vote for series that you have just "seen some" of, but ya, the anime hasn't finished yet so... still, I think this is unbelievable.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I just noticed that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has already made it to #15 on the Best Rated Anime (bayesian estimate) and #4 on the Best Rated Anime (weighted average)...

That's unbelieveably impressive for such a new series.

Yeah but the data is kinda skewed since the sample size is way too small. And how (or why) do people even say they've seen it all if only 3? episodes have been released... >_> I don't think it's possible to even start considering rating the series yet. Well, let's see if it stands the test of time. Razz
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:43 am Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Yeah but the data is kinda skewed since the sample size is way too small. And how (or why) do people even say they've seen it all if only 3? episodes have been released... >_> I don't think it's possible to even start considering rating the series yet. Well, let's see if it stands the test of time. Razz

I agree on both counts. The sample is too small to draw any useful conclusions from, and rating a series that has barely gotten started yet is pointless.

As for people who claim to have seen the entire series, when it hasn't even finished airing yet... I believe that this is tantamount to spamming, and should be grounds for banning. I've remarked as much to the senior staff, on occasion.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 213