• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirvana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:

Yuki = machine lol

spoiler[Ryoko is also a machine... I mean she was a subordinate of Yuki's, right?]

on3rd wrote:

Did Ryoko really have much of a personality? She played the role of the responsible class rep. character, and that's about all.

Well, Ryoko seemed to be lively from waht I remembered int he first few episodes. She seemed friendly with all the girls int he class and I remember she had bursts and such as Suzmiya would change and she would chase the boys out the classroom. I also remember the novel mentioning how she was friends with most girls and of course the most popular.. it's hard to be the most popular w/out a personality, right? That's my take on it at least...
The Sphinx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
shadow_guyver wrote:
Ryoko has been in the series since the second episode. Remember Taniguchi's choice for the best girl in they're class. Remember her rating of AA+? That was Ryoko.

I had forgotten about her as well. Yeah, she was there, but she wasn't a very memorable character.

I'm looking forward to when that girl with the wierd speech pattern from the end of episode 9 (she also appeared in the film and in the baseball episode) shows up more and becomes friends with Kyon and the SOS-dan.

Ryoko's in the OP. That was one of KyoAni's hints that we should pay attention to the character. The other minor hint is the dialogue from Episode 2.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:32 am Reply with quote
Ryozo wrote:
spoiler[And of course who could forget older Mikuru! Funny scene indeed. I was laughing pretty hard when Kyon backed up and said "Super-size me!" Lol!]

Yah, that was funny. BTW, what he actually said was tokumori, "bonus/special helping", which is the Japanese term for the largest-size serving a place offers. So that was a pretty accurate translation, in case you were wondering.

one3rd wrote:
Nirvana wrote:
I don't think it made sense that Yuki (didn't?) have a personality but Ryoko did... if anything, it feels that it should be the other way around.

Did Ryoko really have much of a personality? She played the role of the responsible class rep. character, and that's about all.

Yuki does have a personality, it's just subtle -- and so does Ryoko, only hers is equally unsubtle. I think that spoiler[the two very different personalities evinced by Ryoko and Yuki represent two different aspects of the interstellar data entity collective's many personalities. It is clear that the data entities are a group organism acting mostly, but not exclusively, in unison. It makes sense for the two devices they've planted to be differently-designed. Clearly, Yuki is tailored for superhuman patience, whereas Ryoko represents the impatient, "action-now-and-let's-see-what-happens" approach.

In computing terms, you might say that Yuki is the equivalent of a sort of "passive sensor", a "packet sniffer" if you will, whereas Ryoko is a massive "ping" propagating through the local data milieu. In other words, what we're seeing is an incarnate version of two different approaches to data-gathering.]

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Yah, that was funny. BTW, what he actually said was tokumori, "bonus/special helping", which is the Japanese term for the largest-size serving a place offers. So that was a pretty accurate translation, in case you were wondering.

Thank you! Not sure what made it so hard, but that word was torturing me.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks once again to abunai. Your wisdom has shown through our dilemma once more!
=gecko pulls out hankerchief to wipe odd substance off of nose=

I thought it odd that Kyons expression was translated that way, but it does fit!

I also like your explaination of Yuki's and Ryoko's personalities. I had similar inklings in that direction myself.

By golly, I beleive this anime is starting to make me think beyond the fanservice!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else noticed the script of ep11 was written by spoiler[Shoji Gatoh (of Full Metal Panic!)]? Shocked I wonder whether KyoAni or Kadokawa asked him....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
animonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
So, what about when spoiler[in ep 10, when Asahina says soemthing about Kyon pointing out a mole near her chest?] Is that... foreshadowing perhaps? Smile Smile Smile
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
Is that... foreshadowing perhaps?

I doubt it is something that will be revealed/explained any further in the duration of the series itself, but it does reveal the fact that in the future, Kyon tells her that she has a mole there. Which may imply more perversion and Mikururun lovin' from Kyon.
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
animonkey wrote:
Is that... foreshadowing perhaps?

I doubt it is something that will be revealed/explained any further in the duration of the series itself, but it does reveal the fact that in the future, Kyon tells her that she has a mole there. Which may imply more perversion and Mikururun lovin' from Kyon.

Or a time paradox. Big Mikuru points out mole->Kyon tells little Mikuru about mole->Little Mikuru grows up into big Mikuru and tells Kyon about mole->Holy crap->YOUR HEAD A SPLODE
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Anyone else noticed the script of ep11 was written by spoiler[Shoji Gatoh (of Full Metal Panic!)]? Shocked I wonder whether KyoAni or Kadokawa asked him....

Oh I noticed (according to the subs), and it's pretty much no surprise that the director of that series you mentioned helped with the storyboarding.

The space battles were really cool to look at. Also there are lots of amusing moments in this episode. Like for example:

Gun*** reference FTW!!!! Laughing

spoiler[...Mikuru's fleet is SO useless because she got lost! Laughing

HARUHI KICK!!!!

Yuki became one heck of a l33t haxxors! SO CUTE!!!! Embarassed]

And I'm assuming any of you old school sci-fi fans can pick out references from this pic:

Next episode is episode 12, and it's actually.......episode 12! Shocked

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Kyon holds his stones like a beginner.

I wasn't able to place the piece of music that played during the climax of the battle though. Anyone know what it was?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

I Lawled. You know, you'd think Gundam would a big enough icon that it could be spoofed without this kind of thing, but apparently not. They had to do that in Genshiken also. But honestly, in this case, I think its funnier that way.

Quote:
spoiler[...Mikuru's fleet is SO useless because she got lost! Laughing]

Yep. That was great.

I thought the last second of the episode as it faded out was cute with spoiler[Yuki "typing" on her book]

Quote:
Next episode is episode 12, and it's actually.......episode 12! Shocked

Wow, who'd a thunk it?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And I'm assuming any of you old school sci-fi fans can pick out references from this pic:

Space Battleship Yamato FTW (?).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lucan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 is awesome!

I laughed at the many references to RTS gamers and Gundam series in the space battle. Like those ship weapon names and the battle station etc.

What really got a chuckle out from me is spoiler[when the computer society president's final flag ship exploded, he yelled out something like "Long Live the Computer Society", which is the same as one of the main char who did in gundam 0079 while his ship got fatally hit.]
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I wasn't able to place the piece of music that played during the climax of the battle though. Anyone know what it was?

Finale Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. Definately a pleasant surprise.

Does anyone know the meaning the hiragana (heno heono mohe?) in the faces Koizumi's crew?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 213