• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
This may have been asked before in the topic, but is it necessary/better to watch the episodes in their chronologically intended order, or should I just stick to the way it's ordered on the dvds?

The DVDs ARE in the chronologically intended order. As ultimatemegax says, it was just a gimmick for the broadcast of the first 14 episodes.
The books are chronological. The Manga is chronological. The Japanese DVDs and BDs are chronological. The American DVDs are chronological*. The repeat broadcasts are chronological. The legal streams are chronological.
People need to let their fansubs go already.

(*bar the special discs for the first LE release, which were only included because fans of the fansubs begged for it)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The show is much better watched in broadcast order. In chronological order, the climax of the first season happens well before the end and then you just get the slice-of-life episodes after it, which can be pretty boring.

Unless you resemble a fool who can't tell the difference between a six part story and a fourteen episode season. But we all know fools of every type, don't we?

Hey, here's an idea. Try reading AC Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles interspersed by five other Sherlock Holmes short stories. No, get back here, why would you do that? It's just stupid. Why this continues just fascinates me as I don't think it's a fansub issue, I think some people believe it's profound, that it creates a grand revelation in the story somehow. But there's something else that has a similar effect, right? Next up...

I so recommend watching Episode Zero first like I did but it could also safely fit at the end of "season 2" after the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya. Of the three main stories, Sigh is the one that gets trashed the hardest, most likely because of episode zero, but it's my favorite of the trio because spoiler[it's the only point where we get confirmation that events aren't being controlled by the SOS super squad or Kyon. Endless Eight was all him, though...]
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Sohma_Curse wrote:
This may have been asked before in the topic, but is it necessary/better to watch the episodes in their chronologically intended order, or should I just stick to the way it's ordered on the dvds?

The DVDs ARE in the chronologically intended order. As ultimatemegax says, it was just a gimmick for the broadcast of the first 14 episodes.
The books are chronological. The Manga is chronological. The Japanese DVDs and BDs are chronological. The American DVDs are chronological*. The repeat broadcasts are chronological. The legal streams are chronological.

(*bar the special discs for the first LE release, which were only included because fans of the fansubs begged for it)

Hmmm, well I have the complete collection (release#11582) and dvd 1 starts with episode 00; which, naturally, is where I began. As I said, I was thoroughly confused and thought the entire series was a 'movie within a show' kinda deal. I didn't know what the hell was going on without proper character exposition, background story, etc. I got halfway through before I checked the ANN page and saw the wacky order in which the episodes were originally broadcast.

Upon closer inspection, the dvds DO in fact have the rest of the series in correct, chronological order, but yet dvd 1 it still starts with episode 00/The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina (aka episode 11).
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Sohma_Curse wrote:

The legal streams are in 2006 broadcast order ("first season") and 2009 broadcast order ("second season"). The DVDs are in chronological order for their "season" (except for Episode 00 as it never had a "next episode preview") since Bandai didn't release a 28 episode set and the UK rights belong to two different companies so a 28 episode set is very unlikely. The novels are not in chronological order since some short stories that follow its order were published in The Sneaker prior to being collected in novel form (and additional short stories added to those volume add to the out-of-order issues). The manga is mostly in order excluding Episode 00 and placing Editor in Chief prior to Intrigues.

Yeah, you can see how it can be confusing.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:

In my opinion you should do whatever is easier for you, which would probably be just watching the discs as they are.
I am not convinced that you would gain anything by swapping discs to watch the episodes in the "correct" order.

As for episode 00, I am not sure but I think that you are supposed to have that "wtf is this" feeling when watching it. That puts you in the same position as the fictional audience in the series.
And episode 00 is not part of the chronology of the series. The making of the movie is part of the chronology, and is out of order on the Bandai release, but that did not bother me at all.

As for having the climax in the wrong place, I do not think that the Haruhi story has a climax. It is still in progress. There are many stories that are part of the Haruhi experience, and as far as I can remember they each have their climaxes in the correct places.

I think that the only time that the order is important is when watching the movie. You should watch at least the first season before watching the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
"The adventures of Mikuru Asahina 00" was released first in Japan, on it's own DVD. I believe it is intended to be thought of as the DVD that Haruhi made or talked about making (I forget which, but I'm sure it came up).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification(s) guys!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought I might actually add in that there was an original broadcast order release. Here in Australia the boxset came with a Volume S which had all the episodes again with the original broadcast order, including the characters giving the out of order episode previews. I still think it was best for original viewing as it makes it an experience, but people are worried about things that are different.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The limited US version (of the original set of episodes) had a set of extra discs (sub-only IIRC) with the broadcast order. Bandai had to beg for permission to do it and there were restrictions even then. Richard Kekahuna sed
Quote:
The Special Editions were the only way TV Broadcast Order could be released in North America as an "extra". It was pretty tough to get that approved as even Japan doesn't have TV Broadcast Order on DVDs.

So that is why you're seeing Broadcast Order on the special editions instead of regular, because it is an obligation (not a choice) to put Japanese DVD order on regular version.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It has both sets of Dvd's the original broad cast order as well as the other order. The second season was a shock due to eight episodes almost all the same. when four at best could have done the trick.

I would have thought it would have sold better since the English dub in this was well done.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I just finished the series and...I'm not quite sure how to feel, and I think (or at least I HOPE) I'm missing something...

First off, spoiler[WHAT THE HELL? What kind of an ending is that? There was so much paranormal/supernatural build up, and then NOTHING. I look back through this topic and I see people praising those last three episodes as some of the best episodes they've ever seen of ANY show, ever. But to me, those three episodes in particular made absolutely zero sense in the context of the whole series and did nothing at all the bring any sort of closure/completion. I know there is a movie sequel, but still, this series had more ADD than Haruhi.]

Second, spoiler[There's GOT to be a connection I'm not making here. How could this series be so highly regarded and seemingly accomplish absolutely nothing? The story went nowhere. It started off kinda shaky, then got REALLY interesting, and then just veered completely off course and never looked back. Every possible loose end they created was not tied up (What happened with Mikuru's future self and what did 'Snow White' mean? And Itsuki and his agency - what happens with that whole deal? What about Yuki's mission? And what, since Kyon trusts Haruhi, she now just simply doesn't create closed space anymore? etc.). Additionally, I couldn't connect with any of the characters like I usually do in a series I'm enjoying; they were all either annoying and over-the-top or completely bland and sterile.]

I very much enjoyed the episodes Part 4, Part 6, Mysterique Sign, and Remote Island Syndrome (1 & 2) but I can't help but feel like this was one of the most unfulfilling series I've ever watched. Does anything think a re-watch will help me understand something better? Because based on what I saw and could make sense of, I really just cannot see the overwhelmingly positive appeal of this show.

[EDIT: Removed a needless spoiler tag. - Key]
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
There's still a lot of material that hasn't been animated(and may not be, since the fervor's faded since then).
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
@Sohma Curse

Most of the show's appeal isn't from the plot, it's because people love the atmosphere and characters. Your frustration seems to be from a lack of any real conclusion or explanation, the series just ends.

Rewatching it probably won't change how you feel; in terms of plot and character growth, there isn't what you'd expect from such a highly praised show. Try to understand that people love it for entirely different reasons than why you wanted to love it. I've never met a Melancholy fan who claimed to love the show for it's overall plot, or for any kind of emotional payoff at the end. Rather, all my friends enjoyed watching the characters they loved interact in different scenarios, without any care for what happened after the episode was over.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
There's still a lot of material that hasn't been animated(and may not be, since the fervor's faded since then).

Understandable, and I know there's much more material in the manga, but are the anime's 5000+ positive ratings on this site from people who know and have read the manga (and therefor would enjoy the show more since they can connect the dots that I'm apparently missing), or do people like me who have never read the manga also feel that this show is a 'masterpiece?'

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the movie since I found it on eBay for relatively cheap (and since its description sounded more in line with what I enjoyed most about the show (spoiler[which was the supernatural/paranormal stuff that, ya know, the SOS Brigade was set up to thoroughly investigate before Haruhi suddenly decided she wanted to be a rockstar/filmmaker/normal person instead]).
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Polycell is right. Besides, I don't think you're ever supposed to get the full details on the future stuff and the esper organization, and even in the movie they drop some references that have yet to be explained and may never be. That's partly because virtually every single scene happens from Kyon's vantage point, so we never know anything that Kyon doesn't know.

Also, the order that you watch the episodes in can affect your decision. Amongst the episodes given in chronological order, #7 (I think) was the original final episode.

There's some hyperbole involved in the comments you're referencing, and not everyone loved the series the first time around, either. You also have to remember that this was a fresh and innovative way to play around with a lot of common anime tropes at the time that it aired, while a lot more of that kind of thing has been done since then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 211 of 213